Illinois
Illinois man charged for sexually exploiting Michigan 12-year-old
GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. (FOX 2) – Eduardo G. Torres, 26, of Waukegan, Illinois, was sentenced by U.S. District Judge Janet T. Neff to 210 months in prison, followed by five years of supervised release, for sexually exploiting a child.
According to court documents, in April 2023, Torres sexually assaulted a 12-year-old girl and filmed it after meeting her online, communicating with her through Snapchat, and then traveling to meet her in person.
To do so, he drove from Illinois to Berrien Springs. After assaulting the girl, he transported her back across state lines to his residence in Illinois.
“The Berrien Springs Oronoko Township Police Department appreciates the work done on this case by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Western District of Michigan along with the assistance from the Federal Bureau of Investigation,” said Police Chief Paul Toliver. “Working together with these agencies was instrumental in quickly bringing a child predator to justice and returning a child home to her family.”
Torres previously pled guilty to sexual exploitation of a child on Dec. 18, 2023, for the child pornography he created when he filmed the sexual assault.
“As the sexual exploitation of children online continues to rise, my office is committed to protecting children and bringing sex offenders to justice,” said U.S. Attorney Mark Totten. “The devices that nearly every child and teenager now carry leave kids vulnerable to criminals down the street, across state lines, and around the world. I strongly urge parents, guardians, and loved ones to educate their kids about online dangers, stay aware of their social media activities, and create a trusting relationship where kids are willing to share if something goes wrong.”
Illinois
Bears bill to keep team in Illinois faces major obstacles, including Mayor Johnson peeling support
Mayor Brandon Johnson’s last-minute effort to keep the Chicago Bears from leaving the city has pulled support for an essential mega-projects proposal that would help keep the team in Illinois, the bill’s top Senate sponsor said Thursday.
But there are other problems too, including concerns over traffic near an Arlington Heights stadium, as well as the impact a payment in lieu of taxes system would have on local property taxpayers. The friction between Gov. JB Pritzker and Johnson over where the stadium should be built is also posing a major obstacle.
There are just 10 days left before state legislators are scheduled to adjourn for the spring session, with May 31 marking a crucial deadline for a bill the Bears say they absolutely need to consider keeping the franchise from crossing state lines to Hammond, Indiana.
The Sun-Times last week reported that top Johnson aide Jason Lee said “there’s a lot more shoes left to drop” when it comes to whether Chicago is still in play for the Bears. Lee said the team has had “sensitive conversations” with the mayor’s office, but declined to offer details.
The Bears quickly shot down that chatter, reiterating that there are only “two viable stadium locations under consideration — Arlington Heights and Hammond.” NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell also this week declared that the team is leaving Chicago. And Pritzker is exclusively focused on the Arlington Heights bid.
The Bears on Thursday again said Chicago “is not a viable site.”
“The Chicago Bears have exhausted every opportunity to stay in Chicago, which was our initial goal. There is not a viable site in the city,” the team said in a statement. “As a result, the only sites under consideration are in Arlington Heights and Hammond.”
A source close to the negotiations also poked holes in conversations the Bears had with Johnson’s office, saying the team went to city attorneys to discuss lease parameters of Soldier Field, not to reengage around a lakefront proposal. A source in the mayor’s office contested that notion — saying there have been multiple meetings with the Bears since April. The lease was discussed during one meeting but it has “since evolved to a new lakefront stadium.” They did not disclose when the lakefront stadium was last discussed.
The mayor’s office said in a statement that the “several recent meetings” included talk about “terms” for a new lakefront stadium.
Nevertheless, Johnson’s last-minute lobbying efforts are having an impact in Springfield.
“I think it’s breathed life into the mayor’s claim that Chicago still has a chance,” State Sen. Bill Cunningham, the bill’s lead sponsor, said of Johnson’s pitch. “The Bears, of course, say that isn’t true, and I believe the Bears when they say that. But you know they’ve given the mayor a prime card to play here, and he’s obviously playing it.”
Cunningham said opposition from Chicago legislators has “intensified,” with what they see as hope for the team to stay in Chicago. He said outreach by the Bears about a month ago is helping the mayor convince Chicago members not to vote for the Arlington Heights proposal.
A second obstacle is the Bears’ request for taxpayer help for infrastructure, with the team pursuing a sizable commitment from the state for infrastructure upgrades in and around Arlington Heights, with no traffic study in place for communities that would be affected by a new stadium.
“We can’t appropriate state funds without some idea of how exactly they’re going to be spent for those purposes without a traffic study,” Cunningham said. “You just don’t do that with large developments like that, and the fact that there isn’t a traffic study has caused turbulence in the northwestern suburbs. … They have not been given the seat at the table.”
Other legislators are objecting to a “general lack of comfort with the payment in lieu of taxes mechanism,” Cunningham said.
“There’s a lot of uncertainty that is embedded in the mechanics in that we don’t know what the payment in lieu of taxes would be to the taxing districts, and there are some concerns about whether or not that will have an effect on property taxpayers in the area where the mega-project is placed.”
Cunningham said the Bears were making headway in the state when the locations were down to Arlington Heights and Hammond. But with rumblings of Chicago in the mix, which they deny, the support is splintering. He is taking their threat to move to Hammond seriously — and doesn’t see it as a bluff.
But he wouldn’t go so far as to blame Johnson if legislators fail to pass the bill by adjournment, and ultimately prompt the Bears to leave the state. He says the impetus is on the Bears.
“The Bears need to step up their game. It’s ultimately up to them to get 60 votes in the House and 30 in the Senate that are required to pass this bill, and they’re going to need to do that in the next 10 days,” Cunningham said.
The state senator pointed out that the governor and mayor were in lockstep when two major stadium deals were passed in Springfield: in 1988 for the Chicago White Sox and in 2000 for the Soldier Field renovation.
“The governor and the mayor were working together, pulling from the same side of the rope. That is not the case right now,” Cunningham said, adding, “Absent that, it’s very difficult to pass a bill.”
Contributing: Pat Finley
Illinois
1 dead, 3 injured after interstate crash in Morton, State Police say
MORTON (25News Now) – One person is dead and three others are injured after a two-vehicle crash on Interstate 74 in Morton Thursday.
Illinois State Police said the crash happened around 5:40 a.m. at mile marker 102 the eastbound lanes of I-74 in Morton.
One westbound lane is closed. All eastbound lanes are being directed off and back on the interstate at North Morton Avenue.
No further information is available.
You can watch 25News – any newscast, anywhere – streaming LIVE on 25NewsNow.com, our 25News mobile app, and on our WEEK 25News SmartTV streaming app. Learn more about how you can get connected to 25News streaming live news here.
Copyright 2026 WEEK. All rights reserved.
Illinois
UChicago Medicine performs first-known quadruple transplant surgery in Illinois
CHICAGO (WLS) — Jasmine Jones says cystic fibrosis was slowly destroying her body.
Months after she had both lungs, her kidney and her liver replaced, she’s thankful for her donor and doctors for giving her a second chance at life.
ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch
Jones, 28, has spent her entire life battling the genetic disease that attacks the lungs and digestive system with thick, sticky mucus.
Over time, the disease ravaged multiple organs.
First, her liver began to fail.
“I was retaining a lot of fluid. I was in pain, very fatigued, no energy,” Jones said.
And last year, she slipped into a coma for two days.
SEE ALSO: Long Island teen’s parents issue plea for kidney donor, a surprise neighbor responds
Doctors at University of Chicago Medicine suggested replacing the liver with a donor organ, but one of Jones’ kidneys was shutting down. And her lungs were severely compromised.
“We as a team decided that it was the best option for her long-term survival was to replace all her organs in one surgery,” said Dr. Pablo Sanchez, with UChicago Medicine.
So in January, surgeons performed the first-known quadruple transplant in Illinois, replacing both of Jones’ lungs, her liver and a kidney with organs from one donor.
The procedure took place over two days.
“My donor’s organs fit perfectly. They thought they would have to shave something down or alter certain things, but everything just fit into place,” Jones said.
Jones goes to rehab three times a week, and her ultimate goal is to learn how to roller skate.
In the meantime, she says she’s grateful to the donor who made her recovery possible.
“Thank you for another chance at life and for giving me a new outlook on life,” Jones said.
Jones faces months of rehabilitation and lifelong anti-rejection medications. But she says she hopes her story will inspire others to register as organ donors.
Copyright © 2026 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.
-
Los Angeles, Ca5 minutes agoLoved ones search for missing 21-year-old Southern California man with special needs
-
Detroit, MI29 minutes agoSouthfield Freeway closed after shooting in Detroit, state police says
-
San Francisco, CA41 minutes agoSan Francisco soccer league Girls Got Goals ready for World Cup in Bay Area
-
Dallas, TX47 minutes agoDallas felon arrested after allegedly shooting 14-year-old inside vacant Pleasant Grove home
-
Miami, FL53 minutes agoSister of high-ranking Cuba conglomerate official arrested by ICE in Miami
-
Boston, MA59 minutes ago
FIFA permit delays for watch parties deepen World Cup woes in Massachusetts – The Boston Globe
-
Denver, CO1 hour agoPolice investigate shooting at Montbello Recreation Center
-
Seattle, WA1 hour ago3 Seattle Seahawks UDFAs Who Could Steal a Spot on 53-Man Roster