Connect with us

Detroit, MI

Wall Street analysts say Elon Musk is the clear auto tariff winner: 'Tesla wins, Detroit bleeds'

Published

on

Wall Street analysts say Elon Musk is the clear auto tariff winner: 'Tesla wins, Detroit bleeds'


New trucks crowd a parking lot at the GM assembly plant in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, on Sept. 24, 2019.

Chris Helgren | Reuters

Several analysts on Wall Street see a clear winner emerging from President Donald Trump’s new auto tariff policy: Tesla.

Advertisement

Trump announced on Wednesday that all cars not made in the U.S. would be slapped with a 25% tariff beginning next week. The news sent shares of major American car producers in diverging directions in Thursday’s trading as Wall Street analyzed who would be most and least hurt by the policy change.

So far, multiple analysts see Elon Musk’s electric vehicle giant as a relative beneficiary given its domestic production. The stock rose more than 5%.

Put simply: “Tesla wins, Detroit bleeds,” wrote Bernstein analyst Daniel Roeska in a Thursday note to clients.

Tesla: ‘Clear structural winner’

Roeska called Tesla the “clear structural winner” of the policy, adding that it has a localized market share and is “better insulated” from trade risk. On the other hand, he said Ford and General Motors could see declines of up to 30% in earnings before interest and taxes this year.

“For everyone else, this is a margin reset and real drag on near-term earnings power,” he said of companies besides Tesla.

Advertisement

UBS analyst Joseph Spak noted both Tesla and competitor Rivian could “fare better” with 100% of production in the U.S. Rivian shares also were nearly 5% higher Thursday.

Stock Chart IconStock chart icon

Tesla, 1-day

But for others in the industry, Spak said there will “clearly be some pain” as tariffs take effect.

Advertisement

TD Cowen analyst Itay Michaeli said Tesla’s substantial domestic sourcing helps make the company a “relative winner.” This is especially true for Tesla’s Model Y, which competes in the midsize crossover segment, a category that will now see close to half of all vehicles hit with levies. Presumably, a portion of the tariffs is likely to be passed on to consumers, making these vehicles more pricey.

Despite Thursday’s gains, Tesla shares have tumbled around 30% this year. Some of the declines have been attributed to political backlash against Musk, who is a key aid to Trump and acts as the face of the president’s government efficiency initiative.

As Tesla shares declined, Trump said earlier this month that he would purchase a Tesla in a show of support for Musk.

But Trump said the billionaire entrepreneur did not advise on auto tariffs because of a potential conflict of interest. Musk posted on his social media platform X that his company was not immune to effects from the policy.

“Important to note that Tesla is NOT unscathed here,” Musk wrote. “The tariff impact on Tesla is still significant.”

Advertisement

Still, Wall Street expects Tesla stock to rebound ahead, with most analysts polled by LSEG having a buy rating and an average price target suggesting about 18% in upside.

A ‘worst case’ scenario?

TD Cowen’s Michaeli called Trump’s announcement “close to the worst case outcome” compared with recent expectations for the policy.

He expects a “significant” initial impact to the Detroit Big Three. Based on policy as it is currently understood, he said Ford should be the least exposed in the group, while Stellantis may be the most exposed.

UBS’ Spak said to expect automakers to raise prices as a result. For Ford and General Motors, he estimated the average price tag could rise between $4,000 and $5,000 if 100% of the cost increase is mitigated.

Analysts pointed out that not every legacy automaker would be hit equally. Deutsche Bank analyst Edison Yu, for instance, listed Ford alongside Tesla in the “most shielded” bucket.

Advertisement

There are also some points of disagreement on which firms would feel the most pressure. Despite Michaeli saying Stellantis would be most exposed, Bernstein’s Roeska said the company should show “relative resilience” compared with other Detroit Big Three carmakers.

Ford’s stock declined 3%, while GM shares shed nearly 8%. Stellantis stock fell more than 2%.

Get Your Ticket to Pro LIVE

Join us at the New York Stock Exchange!

Uncertain markets? Gain an edge with CNBC Pro LIVE, an exclusive, inaugural event at the historic New York Stock Exchange.

Advertisement

In today’s dynamic financial landscape, access to expert insights is paramount. As a CNBC Pro subscriber, we invite you to join us for our first exclusive, in-person CNBC Pro LIVE event at the iconic NYSE on Thursday, June 12.

Join interactive Pro clinics led by our Pros Carter Worth, Dan Niles and Dan Ives, with a special edition of Pro Talks with Tom Lee. You’ll also get the opportunity to network with CNBC experts, talent and other Pro subscribers during an exciting cocktail hour on the legendary trading floor. Tickets are limited!

Don’t miss these insights from CNBC PRO



Source link

Detroit, MI

Southfield police chase ends in fiery crash in Detroit

Published

on

Southfield police chase ends in fiery crash in Detroit


Driver, passenger in car suffered minor injuries

A police chase that began in Southfield ended in a fiery crash in Detroit early Tuesday morning. (WDIV)

DETROIT – A police chase that began in Southfield ended in a fiery crash in Detroit early Tuesday morning.

The chase began on May 19, just after 3 a.m., when Southfield police responded to a reported car theft in progress. When they arrived, they found three suspects who immediately left the scene — one running and two in a car driving away.

The suspect who ran off was arrested and released to a guardian, police said.

Advertisement

Police saw the car traveling south on the Lodge Freeway near Evergreen Road. Officers began chasing after the suspect, which continued into Detroit. The car was seen exiting the Lodge at Grand River Avenue before crashing on Southfield Service Drive.

Shortly after the crash, the car caught fire. Both people in the car were safely pulled out and were taken to a local hospital for minor injuries. They were later taken to the Southfield Detention Center.

Details on the suspects were not released.

Previous coverage

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

Twerking for your vote: Detroit 13th Congressional Candidate not shy on social media

Published

on

Twerking for your vote: Detroit 13th Congressional Candidate not shy on social media


Twerking for your vote? Getting people to the poles? Making cheeks blush in an attempt to clench votes?

The puns write themselves, but that doesn’t mean Shelbie Campbell is any less serious about her run for Congress. The candidate is leaning on her social media following and leveraging provacative posts to build momentum for a shot at Michigan’s 13th Congressional District.

Advertisement

Big picture view:

A dive into Campbell’s TikTok reveals a mixture of dance videos and political commentary. 

But the short clips are only a window into what is a very serious campaign for office. She advocates for women in leadership, arguing Detroit hasn’t had female representation in decades.

Advertisement

She wants education reform and systemic fixes to housing and health care. 

And as a line worker and third-generation UAW member, she is in favor of better wages for the service and labor industry.

Advertisement

Dig deeper:

Campbell is currently in law school at Detroit Mercy. While she is not shy about her background — going as far as to post four separate mug shots from previous arrests — the 32-year-old single mom says accountability is “the only way to learn from our mistakes and grow together as a community.”

And in her pitch to voters deciding between her and incumbent Shri Thanedar, she said he has a hard time empathizing with those considering who to head to the polls for.

Advertisement

“I just want younger people in office and he’s a millionaire and I don’t have that and he does so it’s very hard for him to relate to the people,” she told FOX 2.

Twerking for votes

Campbell also does not plan to stop posting videos. Sex sells and in her eyes, it’s not a bad way to build her brand.

Advertisement

“I don’t do OnlyFans like everyone keeps saying. I was just having fun, I’m young and I’m taking advantage of social media,” she said.

In one video, she seizes on one of the many derogatory terms that others have called her.

Advertisement

“They were calling me a c*** so I just like to be sarcastic and if you’re going to call me names I’m going to make you feel awkward for doing so,” she said. “I’m just going to dish it back because why do you think you can talk to me like that?”

The other side:

FOX 2 reached out to Thanedar’s campaign for comment.

Advertisement

The Source: An interview with the candidate was cited for this story. 

PoliticsDetroitInstastories



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Detroit, MI

5 players who could help Detroit Lions in NFL free agency

Published

on

5 players who could help Detroit Lions in NFL free agency


play

The Detroit Lions filled most of their biggest needs in last month’s NFL draft. They landed a new starting right tackle, a new rotational defensive end and depth help at linebacker, defensive tackle, cornerback and wide receiver.

The Lions have one of the most complete rosters in the NFL, but the offseason’s not over. Training camps are still more than two months away and they sit $23.6 million under the salary cap, according to NFL Players Association records, the 14th-most available cap space in the NFL.

Advertisement

The Lions do not appear poised to make any notable additions before the league goes on hiatus next month, but they have the flexibility to do so if necessary.

Here are five players they can spend their money on to bolster their roster for 2026:

DE Cam Jordan

The Lions signed DJ Wonnum in free agency and traded up to take Derrick Moore in the second round of the draft. With Aidan Hutchinson locked in at one defensive end spot and Levi Onwuzurike capable of playing the big end role, the Lions have the makings of a solid group of edge rushers. But Moore’s a rookie, and Onwuzurike’s missed more games (43) than he’s played (42) in his five-year career, so there’s reason to believe the Lions still could use insurance at the position.

Jordan is more than insurance. He’s an eight-time Pro Bowler who had 10½ sacks last season at age 36 and won’t play cheap this fall. But he’s still a free agent, and until he signs, he’ll be considered the best fit for the Lions defense given his pass-rushing profile and familiarity with Dan Campbell from their days together with the New Orleans Saints.

Advertisement

DE Jadeveon Clowney

Sticking with the defensive end position, Clowney, like Jordan, is an aging pass rusher – he’ll play this fall at 33 years old – who can collapse a pocket and still showed the ability to get to the quarterback with 8½ sacks for the Dallas Cowboys last year.

If the Lions add another big end, that would free Onwuzurike up to play more inside, where the Lions have several young sub-package rushers (Mekhi Wingo and 2026 draft picks Tyre West and Skyler Gill-Howard) but little proven depth behind starters Alim McNeill and Tyleik Williams.

TE Will Dissly

The Lions missed on the chance to add a tight end in the draft with Sam LaPorta, Brock Wright and Tyler Conklin all on expiring contracts, but my sense is they feel comfortable at the position for 2026 after losing LaPorta and Wright to season-ending injuries last year.

Advertisement

If that changes, Dissly would be the best fit among the tight ends still left in free agency, assuming he’s healthy. Dissly is not the same pass-catching weapon as Jonnu Smith, and he wouldn’t bring the familiarity of Taysom Hill (with Campbell) or Pharoah Brown (with offensive coordinator Drew Petzing), but he’s one of the best run-blocking tight ends in football and did have 50 catches two years ago for the Los Angeles Chargers.

CB Trevon Diggs

I don’t know what Diggs has left in his body after a couple injury-filled seasons. He split his time last year between the Dallas Cowboys and Green Bay Packers and allowed a passer rating of 154.2, according to Pro Football Reference.

Diggs is a long way removed from the 11-interception season he had in 2021, but at 27 years old, he’s a reclamation project some team will take a chance on this summer. The Lions have Rock Ya-Sin and Ennis Rakestraw waiting in the wings behind starters D.J. Reed and Terrion Arnold. I’d take both those players over Diggs. But if they suddenly need more depth at cornerback, Diggs is a better roll of the dice than other available free agents like Marshon Lattimore and L’Jarius Sneed.

NT Daniel Ekuale

The Lions signed Jay Tufele to a minimum deal after the draft to be their backup nose tackle. Tufele made two starts last season for the New York Jets and at 26 years old is younger than anyone on this list. He also missed the end of last season with a foot injury and has a half-sack total in his career.

Advertisement

If the Lions need another option at the nose tackle spot, Ekuale was a part-time player for the Pittsburgh Steelers last year who made 16 starts for the New England Patriots in 2024. He’s a big run stuffer who won’t dent the salary cap and would give the Lions another veteran option behind Williams.

Dave Birkett covers the Lions for the Detroit Free Press. Contact him at dbirkett@freepress.com. Follow him on BlueskyX and Instagram at @davebirkett.





Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending