Connect with us

Entertainment

Nashville council rejects Morgan Wallen's bar sign over singer's questionable behavior

Published

on

Nashville council rejects Morgan Wallen's bar sign over singer's questionable behavior

Morgan Wallen’s new bar won’t feature one of those neon signs that are ubiquitous among downtown Nashville honky-tonks.

Nashville’s Metro Council this week rejected the “Whiskey Glasses” singer’s request to install such a sign bearing his name outside of Morgan Wallen’s This Bar & Tenessee Kitchen, which is set to open over Memorial Day weekend.

“I don’t want to see a billboard up with the name of a person who’s throwing chairs off of balconies and who is saying racial slurs,” Delishia Porterfield, council member at large, said during the Tuesday council meeting.

Wallen came under fire for using a slur in 2021, which put his career into free fall and saw him banned, albeit temporarily, from the nation’s two largest radio networks and a TV network, pulled from music-streaming services and suspended by his record label.

While his double album “Dangerous” and 2023 follow-up “One Thing at a Time” burned up the charts in the background, Wallen’s reputation slowly recovered — until he was arrested in April after allegedly throwing a chair off of the six-story rooftop of Chief’s, the Nashville bar and music venue co-owned by country singer and Wallen business partner Eric Church. The chair landed three feet away from police officers on a sidewalk below, and the superstar was later arrested on three felony counts of reckless endangerment and one misdemeanor count of disorderly conduct.

Advertisement

Other council members who spoke out Tuesday said their “no” votes were driven by Wallen’s history of comments that were “hateful” and “racist”; the singer was captured on a neighbor’s Ring camera calling a friend by the n-word in his driveway after a night of drinking.

One council member remarked that she was voting no in part because, in her words, Wallen had pledged to give money “to the NAACP for funding” and then did not. Rolling Stone had published a report in late 2021 saying Wallen had reneged on his commitment to donate $500,000 to various Black-led groups and organizations, but USA Today subsequently reported that Wallen and his team had, in fact, donated the majority of the funds as promised.

Jacob Kupin, a council member who voted yes on the measure, acknowledged that Wallen’s behavior was concerning but said he would support the sign because the company that is operating the bar had been a reliable business partner. “It struck me that we’re putting up a sign with someone’s name on it who has not been a good actor downtown,” he said.

Wallen has attempted to make amends for the chair-tossing incident. An initial court hearing has been postponed until Aug. 15.

“I’ve touched base with Nashville law enforcement, my family, and the good people at Chief’s. I’m not proud of my behavior, and I accept responsibility,” the singer wrote on X.

Advertisement

For the time being, it seems the Metro Council isn’t convinced.

Times freelance writer Holly Gleason contributed to this report.

Advertisement

Movie Reviews

Train to Busan Director’s New Zombie Movie Draws Bite-Worthy RT Reviews

Published

on

Train to Busan Director’s New Zombie Movie Draws Bite-Worthy RT Reviews

Train to Busan’s director is back with a new zombie movie, and Rotten Tomatoes reviews are pouring in. Here’s what critics are saying about Yeon Sang-ho’s Colony after its Cannes 2026 premiere.

What critics are saying about Colony in reviews

Director Yeon Sang-ho’s latest Korean zombie thriller Colony has drawn a range of reactions from critics following its Cannes 2026 premiere. The film stars Jun Ji-hyun as a professor trapped inside a sealed biotech facility after a rapidly mutating virus breaks out among conference attendees.

On the positive side, Joonatan Itkonen of Region Free called the film “clever and unexpected, if never quite scary,” praising it as “a thrilling zombie romp from one of the masters of the genre.” Juan Luis Caviaro of Espinof agreed it has “everything it takes to become another hit for Korean genre cinema,” while Nikki Baughan of Screen International noted that “as a modern zombie movie, Colony certainly has a satisfying bite.” Chris Bumbray of JoBlo called it “an epic return to zombie-form from the director of Train to Busan.”

Not all critics were convinced, however. Emma Kiely of Little White Lies felt the film’s concept “isn’t nearly revolutionary enough to hang a two-hour film on.” Ritesh Mehta of IndieWire observed that while “the deck he crafts is often masterful,” the film’s “communication lessons and memory of human loss don’t hit hard enough.” Jason Gorber of Next Best Picture was the harshest, calling the film “flawed and forgettable.”

Colony gets a strong score on Rotten Tomatoes

Despite the mixed opinions, Colony currently holds a Fresh score of 70% on Rotten Tomatoes based on 10 critic reviews. The majority of reviewers awarded the film 3 or 4 out of 5 stars, with praise centered on its creature design and relentless pacing.

Advertisement

With a limited U.S. theatrical release set for August 28, 2026 through Well Go USA Entertainment, the film’s solid Tomatometer score suggests it should appeal to fans of Korean action-horror. Colony may not reach the heights of Train to Busan, but the early critical consensus positions it as a worthy genre entry from a proven filmmaker.

Continue Reading

Entertainment

‘Michael Jackson: The Verdict’ tackles 2005 trial that estate-approved ‘Michael’ did not touch

Published

on

‘Michael Jackson: The Verdict’ tackles 2005 trial that estate-approved ‘Michael’ did not touch

Netflix is dropping a three-part docuseries that revisits Michael Jackson’s 2005 trial in which he was acquitted on charges of child molestation.

“Michael Jackson: The Verdict” drops June 3 and features archival footage and interviews with key players involved in the trial including jurors, figures from both the defense and the prosecution, journalists who were inside the courtroom and other eyewitnesses who saw the events unfold firsthand.

“It has been 20 years since the trial of Michael Jackson in which he was found not guilty. Yet, to this day, controversy still rages,” the filmmakers said. “No cameras were allowed in court, and so the public’s view of the facts at the time were filtered by commentators and presented piecemeal. It was time to take a forensic look at the trial as a whole.

“Anyone interested in the Michael Jackson story should feel this documentary gives them a window into what was largely a closed event and a chance to feel closer to what happened.”

The Santa Barbara Superior Court trial lasted 14 weeks, and the jury, which included eight women and four men, deliberated for more than 30 hours across seven days.

Advertisement

Jackson was acquitted on 10 felony charges: four counts of child molestation, four counts of plying a minor with alcohol in order to molest him, one count of attempted child molestation and one count of conspiracy to hold the boy and his family captive at the Neverland Ranch. He faced more than 20 years in prison.

Produced by Candle True Stories, the production company behind Netflix’s “Untold: The Liver King,” and directed by Nick Green, “Michael Jackson: The Verdict,” comes at a time of renewed interest in the “King of Pop.”

The Jackson-estate-approved biopic “Michael” hit theaters last month, and depicts the origin story of the hitmaker from childhood through his upward trajectory to superstar status in the 1980s. Notably, the movie omitted the slew of allegations that followed Jackson from the ’90s until his death in 2009.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Movie Reviews

Movie Review: Boots Riley’s ‘I Love Boosters’ is a wild, surrealist social satire

Published

on

Movie Review: Boots Riley’s ‘I Love Boosters’ is a wild, surrealist social satire

Boots Riley holds nothing back in his audacious, surrealist social satire “I Love Boosters.” The film is a go-for-broke expression of wild imagination and social consciousness that’s impossible not to admire for its wacky, bold vision, with teleporting, high fashion snobbery and pyramid schemes.

Here is a movie where we get Keke Palmer, Naomi Ackie and Taylour Paige leading a vigilante shoplifting operation, Demi Moore as a toxic girl boss, Don Cheadle as a sleazy lifestyle evangelist, Will Poulter as a fussy store manager and LaKeith Stanfield as a discount brand model with a strange accent and a hypnotizing stare. It sounds like fun, right? Like a raucous, madcap ride through the inequities of the fashion business from the executive suite, down to the retail store where the goods are sold and the Chinese factories where they’re made? And on a certain level it is all of that, but one thing it is not is very funny. “I Love Boosters” can be amusing and clever, but the laugh-out-loud comedy just isn’t quite there. And it doesn’t help that the film goes more off the rails as it progresses to a climax that is less rousing than mind-numbing.

The thing is, “I Love Boosters” does start on a strong, albeit minor key as we’re introduced to the Velvet Gang, Corvette (Palmer), Sade (Ackie) and Mariah (Paige) and their booster operation, stealing overpriced designer wares from high end stores and selling them for a steep discount on the street. There’s a kind of a Robin Hood sensibility to it all. Mariah calls it “Triple F,” or “Fashion Forward Filanthropy.” She knows how to spell philanthropy, she deadpans; This is branding.

But despite the colorful surroundings, there’s a pervasive hopelessness in this off-kilter world that looks a lot like our own. Corvette, particularly, feels outside of it all, as a woman who dreams of being a designer herself but is currently squatting in a closed fast food chicken shop and being haunted by a boulder of debt (like, literally). It doesn’t help that the founder she idolizes, Moore’s Christie Smith, has become obsessed with stopping the boosters. To Christie, a genius megalomaniac, they’re the big problem with her business and not the fact that her store employees are being paid a pittance and her factory employees even less. The people who work at the factories are also getting sick from sandblasting the denim. And yes, these are all real things.

Eiza González’s vaping Violeta becomes the face of the store employees forced to use their own paychecks to buy their uniforms. Poppy Liu’s Jianhu, who teleports herself from China to the Bay Area, is that for the factory workers. This oddball group of five women band together to get revenge against Christie. Again, this all sounds like it should be a fun time, but the film is too busy jumping around and throwing ideas and concepts at the screen (teleporting somehow the least distracting of them) for us to spend much time just hanging out with these vibrant personalities.

Advertisement

It is a crime that this is only Riley’s second produced movie. Though it might not reach the crackling heights of his debut, “Sorry to Bother You,” his imagination is still on fire. Unlike so much of what’s out there, “I Love Boosters” has both style and substance, which is worth something even if it doesn’t land perfectly (or capably inspire any kind of revolution). In a marketplace full of content and franchises, here is a filmmaker with something to say and an interesting way to say it.

“I Love Boosters,” a Neon release in theaters Friday, is rated R by the Motion Picture Association for “strong sexual content, brief drug use, nudity and language throughout.” Running time: 115 minutes. Two and a half stars out of four.

This image released by Neon shows, from left, Naomi Ackie, Taylour Paige, Poppy Liu and Keke Palmer in a scene from “I Love Boosters.” Credit: AP/Uncredited

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending