Connect with us

World

Iran calls UN nuclear watchdog resolution ‘hasty, unwise’

Published

on

Iran calls UN nuclear watchdog resolution ‘hasty, unwise’

IAEA board passed a resolution criticising Iran and urging it to step up cooperation with the United Nations watchdog.

Iran has denounced a decision by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) board of governors to pass a resolution criticising Tehran as “hasty and unwise”, Iranian State TV reported.

The UN nuclear watchdog’s 35-nation board of governors passed a resolution on Wednesday calling on Iran to step up cooperation with the watchdog and reverse its recent barring of inspectors.

“The decision of the Western countries was hasty and unwise, and it will undoubtedly have a detrimental impact on the process of diplomatic engagement and constructive cooperation [between Iran and the opposing parties]”, state TV cited Iran’s mission to the United Nations as saying.

The motion brought by Britain, France and Germany – but opposed by China and Russia – at the IAEA board is the first of its kind since November 2022.

Advertisement

It comes amid an impasse over Iran’s escalating nuclear activities and as Western powers fear Tehran may be seeking to develop a nuclear weapon, a claim Iran has consistently denied.

The resolution was carried by 20 votes in favour – including the United States, which initially was reluctant for fear of aggravating Middle East tensions – with 12 abstentions and one country not participating, three diplomats told the AFP news agency.

Although symbolic in nature at this stage, the censure motion aims to raise diplomatic pressure on Iran, with the option to potentially refer the issue to the UN Security Council.

Tehran had already threatened “a serious and effective response” and called the censure motion “devoid of any legal, technical and political basis”.

In the past, similar resolutions have prompted Tehran to retaliate by removing surveillance cameras and other equipment from its nuclear facilities and ratcheting up its uranium enrichment activities.

Advertisement

The IAEA has said that Tehran has significantly ramped up its nuclear programme and now has enough material to build several atomic bombs.

During the debates at the IAEA board of governors that began on Monday in Vienna, European powers denounced Iran’s expansion of its nuclear programme “to alarming levels” as “unprecedented for a state without a nuclear weapons programme”.

‘Strong and renewed message’

According to the IAEA, Iran is the only non-nuclear weapon state to enrich uranium to the high level of 60 percent – just short of weapons-grade – while it keeps accumulating large uranium stockpiles.

The resolution sent “a strong and renewed message of support” for the IAEA’s efforts to address the issue, Britain, France and Germany, known as the E3, said in a statement.

“The Board will not sit idly by when Iran challenges the foundations of the non-proliferation system and undermines the credibility of the international safeguards regime,” they added.

Advertisement

“We hope Iran takes this opportunity to resolve these outstanding matters so that no further Board action is necessary.”

Iran has gradually broken away from its commitments under the nuclear deal it struck with world powers in 2015.

The landmark deal provided Iran with relief from Western sanctions in exchange for curbs on its atomic programme, but it fell apart after the unilateral withdrawal of the US under then-President Donald Trump in 2018.

Efforts to revive the deal have so far failed.

In a joint statement quoted Wednesday by Iran’s official news agency IRNA, Tehran, Moscow and Beijing called on “Western countries to show political will … and take the necessary steps to resume the implementation” of the 2015 deal.

Advertisement

But the US rejected that assertion, saying Iran refused an accord when it was possible and “continued with activities that negated the chance for that deal, and now makes baseless statements to obfuscate the history”.

World

Video: Navalny Killed by Frog Toxin, European Governments Say

Published

on

Video: Navalny Killed by Frog Toxin, European Governments Say

new video loaded: Navalny Killed by Frog Toxin, European Governments Say

transcript

transcript

Navalny Killed by Frog Toxin, European Governments Say

Aleksei Navalny was most likely poisoned by a toxin found in a South American frog, five European countries said on Saturday, making the most concrete Western accusation yet that Russia’s leading opposition figure was murdered by his government in 2024.

“Now it’s not just words. It’s scientific proof that my husband, Aleksei Navalny, was poisoned and killed by Russian government and by Vladimir Putin and Russian prison.” “Only the Russian government had the means, the motive and the opportunity to use that toxin against Aleksei Navalny in prison. And that is why we are here today to shine a spotlight on the Kremlin’s barbaric attempt to sign, to silence Aleksei Navalny’s voice.” “We obviously are aware of the report. It’s a troubling report. We’re aware of that case of Mr. Navalny. And certainly it’s, you know — well, we don’t have any reason to question it, or we’re not disputing or getting into a fight with these countries over it. But it was their report, and they put that out there.”

Advertisement
Aleksei Navalny was most likely poisoned by a toxin found in a South American frog, five European countries said on Saturday, making the most concrete Western accusation yet that Russia’s leading opposition figure was murdered by his government in 2024.

By Jorge Mitssunaga

February 14, 2026

Continue Reading

World

2 skiers killed in avalanche on popular Mont Blanc skiing route near French-Swiss border

Published

on

2 skiers killed in avalanche on popular Mont Blanc skiing route near French-Swiss border

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Two skiers were killed and another injured Sunday when an off-trail avalanche tore through a popular freeride route on the Italian side of the Mont Blanc massif near the French-Swiss border, officials said.

Three skiers were swept up in the Sunday morning slide along the Couloir Vesses, a well-known off-piste route in Courmayeur’s upper Val Veny, according to Italy’s Alpine Rescue, The Associated Press reported.

Search and rescue operations involved 15 rescuers, three canine units and two helicopters. One victim was transported to a hospital in serious condition but later died, the agency said.

Authorities said another person was partially buried in an avalanche in Trentino but was pulled to safety by companions.

Advertisement

LINDSEY VONN TRAINS WITH KNEE BRACE AFTER COMPLETELY RUPTURING ACL ONE WEEK BEFORE OLYMPIC RETURN

This handout image released by the Italian Alpine Rescue shows the avalanche that killed two men in the Couloir Vesses, a well-known freeride route in Courmayeur, in the upper Val Veny, northern Italy, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (Italian Alpine Rescue via AP, HO)

The deadly slide comes amid a particularly dangerous stretch in the Italian Alps. Italy’s Alpine Rescue said last week that 13 backcountry skiers, climbers and hikers died in the Italian mountains in the week ending Feb. 8 – a record toll – with 10 of those deaths caused by avalanches linked to an unusually unstable snowpack.

Officials said recent storms have dumped fresh snow onto fragile underlying layers, while strong winds have created unstable drifts, producing hazardous conditions across the Alpine arc bordering France, Switzerland and Austria.

The main issue is caused by “persistent weak layers in the snowy cloak, often covered by fresh snow or wind, conditions that make detachments unpredictable and easily triggered even by the passing of a single skier or alpinist,” the National Alpine and Speleological Rescue Corps said. “The dangerous points are many and difficult to identify, even for an expert.”

Advertisement

LINDSEY VONN CRASHES IN WINTER OLYMPICS ALPINE SKI WOMEN’S DOWNHILL EVENT

Vigili del Fuoco crew members conducts a helicopter rescue over a snow-covered mountain area. (Vigili del Fuoco)

Federico Catania, a spokesperson for Italy’s Alpine Rescue Corps, said recent snowstorms have drawn visitors eager to take advantage of fresh slopes, “and as a result, the number of accidents, and therefore fatalities, has increased proportionally,” The AP reported.

Courmayeur, a town of roughly 2,900 residents, sits about 200 kilometers – or 124 miles – northwest of Milan, a host city for the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics.

The incidents occurred as the Winter Olympics were kicking off in the region on Feb. 6.

Advertisement

AMERICAN SKIERS RESCUED AFTER GETTING LOST NEAR OLYMPIC VENUE IN THE ITALIAN ALPS

Two Vigili del Fuoco crew members stand inside a helicopter next to an open door during a snowy mountain operation.   (Vigili del Fuoco)

Authorities stressed that competition sites – located in Lombardy near the Swiss border, Cortina d’Ampezzo in Veneto and Val di Fiemme in Trentino – remain safe, well-maintained and closely monitored.

“There is no danger for people skiing within managed ski resorts, and, in particular, no risks to the Olympic sites,” Catania said previously. “All of these areas are constantly monitored and are generally safe regardless of Olympic events.”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

Prior to the start of the Winter Olympics, Vigili del Fuoco said crews would maintain safety measures for all visitors to the sites.

Fox News Digital’s Bonny Chu and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Continue Reading

World

Hungary’s opposition leader Magyar promises greater privacy protection

Published

on

Hungary’s opposition leader Magyar promises greater privacy protection

Hungary’s main opposition leader Péter Magyar held a campaign event in Budapest on Sunday, calling on the government to respect people’s privacy after what he described as blackmail and a honeytrap set up by the government to discredit him.

ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

According to opinion polls, Magyar’s Tisza Party is leading Viktor Orbán’s ruling Fidesz party, ahead of the parliamentary elections on the 12th of April.

Orbán, a far-right conservative politician, has been governing Hungary since 2010 with an absolute majority.

Magyar said earlier this week that he was blackmailed by government figures with a sex tape showing him and his former partner, secretly recorded in a Budapest flat in 2024. So far, the video has not been released, but one picture showing a bedroom has spread online.

Advertisement

“If you want Viktor Orbán to spy in your bedroom, then feel free to vote for the ruling Fidesz party,” said Magyar.

He added that Orbán’s party is afraid of losing power and is ready to do disgusting things to discredit the Tisza opposition.

“If they can disclose my private life, they can do the same to others,” asserted Magyar.

The opposition leader, whose Tisza party leads most national opinion polls, called on Orbán to participate in an electoral debate.

‘Hungary will not be dragged into war’

Magyar appeared to target young voters with his campaign event on Saturday, which followed a speech delivered by the Hungarian leader.

Advertisement

The main opposition leader described the upcoming April vote as the “biggest party of the decade” and urged young people to mark the election date in their calendars.

The opposition Tisza party candidate also rejected the government’s narrative, which claimed that an opposition win would drag Hungary into war.

Magyar promised his government would reject military conscription, noting that his party condemns Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, but stressing that Budapest will not be dragged into the conflict.

He also vowed that, in the event of winning the elections, he would keep the barrier at Hungary’s southern border to prevent illegal migration.

Magyar also announced that his party does not support the European Union’s migration pact or Ukraine’s fast-track accession to the bloc.

Advertisement

The opposition candidate also addressed reports about a recent chemical leak that occurred in a battery factory near Budapest, with the level of toxic substances exceeding government-allowed thresholds.

“We are making full, independent, and public measurements mandatory. Internal measurements and data from factories cannot remain secret,” he said.

Magyar met with EU leaders at Munich Security Conference

Magyar spent Friday and Saturday at the Munich Security Conference, where he held discussions with 12 European leaders, including German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer, Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk and Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenković.

The Tisza party leader said he informed the leaders about his plans in the event of winning the elections.

“The most important task of the future Tisza government will be to bring back the EU funds due to the Hungarian people,” Magyar said after his talks in Munich.

Advertisement

He added that his government will aim to adopt strict anti-corruption measures, ensure the independence of the courts, freedom of the press and higher education institutions.

He also shared that he made clear his position on Ukraine’s accelerated EU bid to leaders in his talks.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending