World
Barnier says Albania migrant processing plan won't work for France
Last week, Italy formally opened two return hub centres in Albania under Rome’s jurisdiction, where it plans to process thousands of asylum-seekers outside its borders. But the plan has proved controversial, especially among human rights campaigners.
France’s Prime Minister Michel Barnier has said he doesn’t think the deal Italy has made with Albania to send asylum seekers there for processing will work in France.
“I don’t think this example can be transposed (to France),” Barnier told reporters in Menton, a French town near the border with Italy.
Barnier also said that the Albania deal wouldn’t work in France because of legal reasons.
Last week, Italy formally opened two return hub centres in Albania under Rome’s jurisdiction, where it plans to process thousands of asylum-seekers outside its borders.
Only adult men would be housed in the centres, while vulnerable people such as women, children, the elderly and those who are ill or victims of torture will be accommodated in Italy, according to Rome. Families will not be separated.
The first centre, an area in Shengjin, 66 kilometres northwest of the capital, Tirana, is used for screening newcomers, while the other centre, about 22 kilometres to its east near the former military airport in Gjader, accommodates migrants during the processing of their asylum requests.
Up to 3,000 migrants picked up by the Italian coast guard in international waters each month will be sheltered in Albania under a five-year deal signed last November by Italian Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni and her Albanian counterpart, Edi Rama.
The controversial agreement to outsource the housing of asylum seekers to a non-EU member country has been hailed by some countries that, like Italy, are suffering a heavy burden of refugees, but it has also been slammed by human rights groups as setting a dangerous precedent.
Court ruling
And the plan was dealt a further blow on Friday after a court in Rome ruled that 16 migrants who had been sent to Albania earlier this week had the right to be brought back to Italy.
Italy’s Prime Minister Giorgia Meloni slammed that ruling while speaking to reporters in the Lebanese capital Beirut.
“The issue is much broader because, in essence, what the judges say is that there are no safe countries. So I officially announce that the problem does not exist in Albania. The problem is that no one can ever be repatriated again. The problem is that you can’t push people away. The problem is that you cannot do any policy to defend your borders and so I hope that they will also tell me how to solve it,” she said.
Barnier was in Menton to meet Italy’s Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani to discuss border control and illegal immigration.
“Everything Italy is doing to control the flow of illegal immigration, everything that we ourselves are doing in the same spirit, or that we are going to do ourselves, we are doing for ourselves and together, more effectively than each at home or each for himself. And we are also doing it for the European Union,” Barnier said.
After that meeting, in a post on X Barnier said that both countries had agreed to set up a special “brigade” to clamp down on migrant trafficking over the Franco-Italian border.
“We are very happy with the Franco-Italian relationship at this time, with the Barnier government and we are strengthening these ties in the field of immigration,” added Tajani.
After calling snap legislative elections in June, French President Emmanuel Macron appointed Barnier, a veteran conservative from The Republicans party, hoping the Brexit negotiator would work with the divided legislature to end the political turmoil that has upended French politics in recent months.
The Barnier government, which is dominated by conservatives and centrists, does not have a majority in parliament and efforts to pass any new legislation are bound to be fought and potentially blocked.
The National Assembly is now split between three major political blocs: the left-wing New Popular Front leftist coalition, Macron’s centrist allies and the far-right National Rally, the largest single party in the new assembly.
Hot topic
Irregular migration is currently a hot topic for the European Union and dominated the agenda at a Brussels summit earlier this week.
The conversation has significantly hardened since the bloc completed in May a comprehensive overhaul of its asylum rulebook, capping off almost four years of arduous negotiations that critics believed would never succeed.
Despite the milestone, which Brussels hailed as “historic,” a growing number of governments have come forward demanding more action to stop irregular border crossings and curb asylum claims, which reached 1,129,000 last year.
The debate has turned to “innovative solutions,” with a heavy focus on deportations.
For years, the EU has struggled to send back asylum seekers whose applications for international protection have been denied.
The complex landscape has left the bloc with a sluggish rate for successful deportations, between 20% and 30%, a number that capitals desperately want to ramp up.
One idea that has gone from niche to mainstream is the establishment of so-called “return hubs” outside EU territory.
Under the untested plan, countries would transfer migrants whose asylum applications have been denied to these external centres and make them wait there until the deportation process is completed.
World
China ‘won’t win anything’ if it ‘destroys’ Europe’s industry, French minister tells Euronews
France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, says the European Union must stop being “naive” and shift its mindset when addressing trade imbalances, saying that the approach should encompass all countries weaponising foreign trade.
World
Inside ‘Sh(AI)ved,’ the AI-Created Vintage Adult Film Collection Unveiled at Cannes: ‘Splendid, Volcanic Orgasms’
Fifty years ago, a young woman named Hannah pleasured herself in a erotic magazine photo spread. This week, thanks to generative AI, she did it again – this time with a voiceover.
The first volume of “Sh(AI)ved” — a collection of AI-generated short films drawn from erotic magazine photo spreads published 50 years ago — made its debut on the sidelines of the Cannes Film Festival, and is now streaming on Cultpix.
Thomas Meier, of the Norwegian firm Multiformat, deployed the latest generative AI tools to convert still images from 1976 magazine photo spreads into fully animated video, complete with color, synchronized sound, dialogue and voiceover.
Variety took a deep dive into the films to see what the fuss is all about.
The first short in the collection, the titular “Sh(AI)ved,” begins with the usual montage of naked women pleasuring themselves that mid-70s adult films normally commenced with. It’s all set to a soundtrack known variously as “wah-wah music” or “porn funk” – the latter referring to the strutting, bass-heavy funk grooves that became synonymous with the era. The genre is also sometimes called “sexploitation music” or, more colloquially, “bow-chicka-wow-wow,” heavy on electric guitar riffs.
The film itself begins with a tight close-up of the shaved pudenda of a young woman named Hannah (as a voiceover informs us), who is engaged in self stimulation. At the same time, the VO reminisces about a “tender time” with a young female friend, but how “something was missing.” The VO continues in a philosophical manner as the self stimulation advances. Hannah then makes a phone call to a male friend and in his absence, makes do with a vibro-massager.
This is followed by what the VO describes as “a randy orgy with best friends,” where three women have arrived with clean-shaven pudenda (you can see there’s a theme emerging here). “Gone were the annoying and wearisome little hairs that used to get in their way, often completely destroying the frail, sensuous atmosphere,” we are informed. The women then proceed to enjoy acrobatic sex in a number of positions, permutations and combinations, sometimes involving dildos and strap-ons, with plenty of loud moaning and the aforementioned bow-chicka-wow-wow music. All of these result in “splendid, volcanic orgasms” for all.
The final short in the first volume is titled “After-Movie Party,” where two male-female couples (who we are told swap partners) get amorous after a late-night movie and begin having sex. One of the men isn’t enjoying himself while performing cunnilingus on his partner, as her pubic hair gets in the way. The men proceed to shave the women’s pudenda — you may have noticed this theme by now — and much energetic sex is had by all.
For aficionados of 1970s adult films, “Sh(AI)ved” — and others that will surely follow it its wake — will be of much interest. For those who are not, and might only be interested in the march of AI, the films should still be fascinating. In terms of how it looks, the decor is authentic 1970s and the humans are amazingly photo-realistic, especially in their faces and bodies. Its only when it comes to extreme close ups of genitals do the plasticky nature of AI, aspiring to be photo-realistic, become evident.
“Sh(AI)ved” is, depending on your perspective, a novelty, a provocation, or a genuine milestone in the long, complicated history of moving images. Probably all three. The technology is not yet seamless – AI, it turns out, handles faces and mid-shots with remarkable aplomb but loses its nerve in extreme close-up, where flesh turns to plastic and the illusion slips. But as a proof of concept for what generative AI can do with archival still photography, and as a time capsule that captures both the aesthetic and the philosophical innocence of 1970s erotica, it is hard to look away. Future volumes will presumably iron out the technical wrinkles. For now, the most arresting thing about “Sh(AI)ved” may be how quaint it all feels – which, one suspects, is precisely the point.
World
Ebola treatment center set on fire in Congo after residents clash with authorities over victim’s body
Ebola outbreak tied to over 130 deaths as US ‘leaning into’ response
Dr. Amesh Adalja, an infectious disease physician, details the public health emergency in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Uganda and South Sudan. He stresses the low risk to the United States but highlights the critical need for international resources and coordination to extinguish the outbreak at its source.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
An Ebola treatment center in the epicenter of the deadly outbreak in eastern Congo was set on fire Thursday after angry residents clashed with authorities over the body of a suspected victim.
Rwampara Hospital was attacked by local youths attempting to retrieve the body of a friend who had reportedly died of Ebola, a witness told The Associated Press.
“The police intervened to try to calm the situation, but unfortunately they were unsuccessful,” Alexis Burata, a local student who said he was in the area, told the outlet. “The young people ended up setting fire to the center. That’s the situation.”
The AP reported that people broke into the center and set fire to objects inside. A reporter also witnessed what appeared to be the body of at least one suspected Ebola victim being burned inside the facility.
EBOLA OUTBREAK REPORTED IN AFRICAN COUNTRY — HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
A security guard runs in front of an Ebola treatment center in flames in Rwampara, Congo, Thursday, May 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)
The Alliance for International Medical Action (ALIMA) said two tents used to treat Ebola patients were set on fire at the hospital. The organization said six people were receiving treatment for Ebola at the center.
Patrick Muyaya, a government spokesperson for the Democratic Republic of the Congo, said medical care was continuing normally, and all six patients were accounted for.
He called for calm while condemning violence against health facilities and medical staff.
WHO DECLARES EBOLA OUTBREAK IN CENTRAL AFRICA A PUBLIC HEALTH EMERGENCY AFTER 80 SUSPECTED DEATHS
Flames and smoke rise from an Ebola treatment center in Rwampara, Congo, Thursday, May 21, 2026. (AP Photo/Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)
Deputy Senior Commissioner Jean Claude Mukendi, head of the public security department in Ituri Province, said the individuals who burned the tents did not understand the protocols surrounding Ebola burials.
The incident underscored growing tensions between health officials enforcing strict Ebola containment measures and local customs surrounding funerals and burial rites.
“His family, friends, and other young people wanted to take his body home for a funeral even though the instructions from the authorities during this Ebola virus outbreak are clear,” Mukendi said. “All bodies must be buried according to the regulations.”
‘DISEASE X’ HAS KILLED DOZENS IN THE CONGO — HERE’S WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT THE MYSTERY ILLNESS
Charred hospital beds stand in a smoldering Ebola treatment center in Rwampara, Congo, Thursday, May 21, 2026, after it was set on fire by people angry at being stopped from retrieving a body, according to a witness and police. (AP Photo/Dirole Lotsima Dieudonne)
In its statement, ALIMA condemned the spread of “incorrect or unconfirmed information on social media and the internet,” warning that misinformation could fuel fear and mistrust toward health facilities.
The violent clash comes as Congolese health officials reported 160 suspected deaths and 671 suspected Ebola cases across two provinces in the Democratic Republic of the Congo. The United Nations said earlier this week that neighboring Uganda had reported two cases, including one death.
The World Health Organization (WHO) declared the outbreak a public health emergency Sunday, and the U.S. issued an urgent travel warning for the DRC shortly afterward.
US ISSUES URGENT TRAVEL WARNING AS DEADLY EBOLA OUTBREAK SPREADS OVERSEAS
Congolese police personnel and civilians stand near the burning Ebola treatment center, as aid agencies intensify efforts to contain a new Ebola outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain outbreak, in Rwampara general hospital in Rwampara outside Bunia, Ituri province, Democratic Republic of Congo, May 21, 2026. (REUTERS/Gradel Muyisa Mumbere)
WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said earlier this week he was “deeply concerned about the scale and speed of the epidemic.”
Officials said the outbreak was caused by the Bundibugyo strain of the Ebola virus, a rarer variant for which existing vaccines may be less effective.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Nearly $4 million in emergency funding has been approved by the WHO to support national authorities responding to the outbreak.
Fox News Digital’s Anders Hagstrom and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
-
Entertainment1 second ago
‘Housewives’ star Erika Girardi settles $25-million lawsuit over money from husband’s firm
-
Lifestyle6 minutes agoThe BoF Podcast | Leena Nair and Matthieu Blazy on Creativity and the Power of the Human Hand
-
Politics12 minutes ago‘A bridge too far?’: As GOP senators revolt, Trump defends fund and attacks defectors
-
Science18 minutes agoCaltech could lose control of JPL for the first time
-
Sports24 minutes agoCity Section baseball finals: Friday scores, Saturday schedule
-
World36 minutes ago
China ‘won’t win anything’ if it ‘destroys’ Europe’s industry, French minister tells Euronews
-
News1 hour agoGarden Grove gas leak: Live evacuation maps, closures and updates
-
Los Angeles, Ca3 hours agoFirefighters make progress on wildfires burning across Southern California