Connect with us

Washington

Federal planners approve preliminary Commanders stadium plan, but have parking questions – WTOP News

Published

on

Federal planners approve preliminary Commanders stadium plan, but have parking questions – WTOP News


Some National Capital Planning Commission members had questions and concerns about the redevelopment project’s two planned parking garages.

An aerial rendering of the new Washington Commanders stadium.
(Courtesy Washington Commanders/HKS)

Courtesy Washington Commanders/HKS

Renderings of parking garages around the new Washington Commander stadium.
(Credit HKS)

Credit HKS

A rendering showing the new Washington Commanders in front of the U.S. Capitol.
(Courtesy Washington Commanders/HKS)

Courtesy Washington Commanders/HKS

Advertisement

The National Capital Planning Commission voted unanimously Thursday to approve preliminary site and building plans for the new Washington Commanders stadium at the former RFK Stadium site in D.C.

But members raised questions and concerns about the redevelopment project’s two planned parking garages.

“The stadium looks beautiful right now, but as I’ve said previously at NCPC meetings, I have rarely have ever seen a beautiful parking facility,” NCPC Chair William Scharf said. “So I think understanding how that affects the overall project plan and what the stadium will actually look like to people once it’s complete, I think, it’s really important.”

The overall project includes as many as 8,000 parking spaces, with 75% of them in the garages and 25% in surface lots as of the stadium’s opening day.

At 11 stories high, the two garages could be nearly two-thirds as tall as the stadium itself. A map of the site shown at the Thursday meeting indicated the structures could also be as large or larger than the nearby D.C. Armory.

Advertisement

In renderings presented at the meeting, the garages are pictured in a few of the images, but are not the focus. In one image, the garage is transparent to better show off the stadium’s east side. In another stadium view, a garage fades into the background.

Commission staff member Laura Shipman said the parking garages will be developed independently from the stadium and will be separately submitted for commission approval.

One commissioner questioned the garages’ omission from the preliminary stadium site plan, but still voted to approve it.

“Help me understand why we’re not seeing the development of those (garages) with the stadium package,” said Tammy Stidham, an NCPC commissioner and National Park Service lands and planning director. “They don’t have independent utility. They would not be there if you were not building a stadium.”

NCPC staff also recommended that “alternative orientations” and lower garage heights be considered to reduce visual impacts of views to the stadium, from Kingman Park and from other adjacent neighborhoods.

Advertisement

“I appreciate the sincere interest each one of you all have shown in this garage problem, because it is truly a problem and it throws off the scale,” said Kingman Park resident Frazer Walton.

Walton spoke on behalf of the Friends of Kingman Park Civic Association, which he said supports the stadium redevelopment project, but opposes the construction of a parking garage next to the neighborhood for health and traffic reasons.

“The alternative would be that you not build these massive parking garages, multilevel garages, and that we focus on increasing the size of the Stadium-Armory Metro site,” Walton said. “We also suggest that we build a new subway stop at Oklahoma and Benning Road within the next five to seven years.”

Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.

© 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.

Advertisement



Source link

Washington

Washington Nationals Give Back to U.S. Military Community Through Club-Led Initiatives

Published

on

Washington Nationals Give Back to U.S. Military Community Through Club-Led Initiatives


As part of the Washington Nationals’ commitment to supporting U.S. military member outreach and engagement and in celebration of America’s 250th birthday, the Club hosted a number of programs for service members and their families to start the 2026 season, including the continuation of year-round initiatives and the launch of



Source link

Continue Reading

Washington

Republicans flee Washington after flap on Trump's 'weaponization fund' and ballroom spending

Published

on

Republicans flee Washington after flap on Trump's 'weaponization fund' and ballroom spending


U.S. Senate Republicans abandoned plans to vote ​on an ICE funding bill on Thursday in ‌an act of revolt over one of President Donald Trump’s priorities: a $1.8 billion fund for victims of government “weaponization,” including those convicted of ​crimes during the riots at the Capitol on ​January 6, 2021.



Source link

Continue Reading

Washington

Washington Capitals re-sign Timothy Liljegren to a 2-year, $6.5 million contract

Published

on

Washington Capitals re-sign Timothy Liljegren to a 2-year, .5 million contract


ARLINGTON, Va. — The Washington Capitals re-signed defenseman Timothy Liljegren to a two-year contract worth $6.5 million.

General manager Chris Patrick announced the deal Wednesday. Liljegren will count $3.25 million against the salary cap next season and in 2027-28.

The right-handed-shooting Swede played just four games for the Capitals after they acquired him from San Jose at the trade deadline in early March. He could have a bigger role next season as part of a blue line that is not expected to have John Carlson back after Washington sent the pending free agent to Anaheim on the eve of the deadline.

Now 27, Liljegren has 94 points in 324 regular season and playoff games in the NHL, with the vast majority of that time spent with Toronto.

Advertisement

The biggest question of the offseason for Patrick and the front office is the status of longtime captain, face of the franchise and career goal-scoring record holder Alex Ovechkin, who has not yet declared whether he’ll return for a 22nd season at age 41.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending