Connect with us

Washington

Biden won't commit to a cognitive test in ABC interview – Washington Examiner

Published

on

Biden won't commit to a cognitive test in ABC interview – Washington Examiner


President Joe Biden declined to commit to undertaking an independent cognitive test amid concerns about his age and mental acuity after his debate against former President Donald Trump.

“Look, I have a cognitive test every single day,” Biden told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos during his first post-debate interview. “Everything I do. You know, not only am I campaigning but I’m running the world. Sounds like hyperbole, but we are the essential nation of the world.”

“Watch me between — there’s a lot of time left in this campaign,” he said before denying he is frail.

Biden did concede he can no longer “run the 100 in 10 flat” but contended he is in “good shape” and dared Stephanopoulos to “come keep my schedule.”

Advertisement

When pressed whether he was the same man who became president four years ago, Biden argued, “In terms of successes, yes.”

“I just think it cost me a really bad night — a bad run,” he said when asked about the toll his first four years in office have had on his body.

In an exchange about the debate, Biden distinguished the debate as a “bad episode” and not symptomatic of a “condition,” a question posed by former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi (D-CA).

“It was a bad episode,” he said. “No indication of any serious condition. I was exhausted. I didn’t listen to my instincts in terms of preparing and — and a bad night.”

When pushed on the downtime he had at Camp David after his trips to Europe, Biden repeated that he had been sick and was “feeling terrible.”

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM THE WASHINGTON EXAMINER

“Matter of fact, the docs with me, I asked them,” he said. “They did a COVID test because we were trying to figure out what was wrong. They did a test to see whether or not I had some infection, you know, a virus. I didn’t. I just had a really bad cold.”

Biden added he did not “think” he watched the debate afterward, though he did not blame aides for his poor performance.



Source link

Advertisement

Washington

Gov. Ferguson seeking federal funding for flood damages across Washington state

Published

on

Gov. Ferguson seeking federal funding for flood damages across Washington state


Washington Gov. Bob Ferguson is seeking federal funding to repair and improve damaged infrastructure caused by an atmospheric river event across Washington state in December 2025. The total damage assessment is $182.3 million.

Washington state is applying for the Public Assistance Program, which provides up to 75% reimbursement from the federal government for qualifying repairs. Gov. Ferguson requested around $21 million and submitted Washington state’s request for a disaster declaration back on Jan. 21.

“This is separate than the request we made several weeks ago, that was to assist individuals with their homes,” Ferguson said. “This is for infrastructure, this particular request.”

Gov. Ferguson says that the December flooding was historic and that repairs for the damages caused would require an unprecedented amount of money.

Advertisement

“In terms of damage assessments that we are submitting to FEMA, this historic flooding resulted in, we believe, the largest dollar amount of public infrastructure damage in Washington state in more than four decades, and that’s counting for inflation,” Ferguson said.

Ferguson is requesting up to $173 million from the Trump administration to aid with the preliminary damage amount of $182.3 million, which Ferguson says is subject to change.

“One thing I want to emphasize and underscore is this is a preliminary number,” Ferguson said. “We have to meet a certain deadline for FEMA, so this number will increase as time goes on.”

The state is also applying for the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, which would help fund projects to prepare for future disasters.

Gov. Ferguson says that the state is also working with the Federal Highway Administration to get funding for repairs to highways in the state.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Washington

Detroit man sentenced to prison in two assault cases in Washington D.C.

Published

on

Detroit man sentenced to prison in two assault cases in Washington D.C.


A Detroit man charged in connection with two assaults last year in Washington, D.C. has been sentenced to 60 months in prison with 12 months suspended, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.

Jerome Parker, 49, pleaded guilty in October 2025 to one count of aggravated assault, one count of assault with significant bodily injury and one count of second-degree theft. After completing his sentence, Parker will be placed on three years’ probation.

“Today we took another criminal, victimizing the most vulnerable members of our community, off the streets,” said U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro. “This violence against our community committed by Parker, or any criminals like him, against the elderly or innocent will never again be tolerated in the District.”  

Federal prosecutors say Parker attacked two people on Aug. 18-19, 2025. 

Advertisement

Officials say the first victim, a 66-year-old man, was leaving a Metrobus when Parker punched the man in the face, causing the victim to fall to the ground. Parker then took the man’s wallet, ID, cards and cash. The victim had to undergo surgery to fix a fracture and had his jaw wired shut for several months, according to prosecutors.

Officials say Parker and the victim did not know each other.

Prosecutors say that on the following day, Parker was involved in a verbal altercation with an acquaintance and followed the person to an apartment building, where he punched the second victim, kicking him multiple times. Prosecutors say the second victim suffered a minor brain bleed and was unconscious for over five minutes until responding officers arrived.

Parker was arrested a month later, on Sept. 25.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Washington

Washington Spirit and Star Defender Tara Rudd Agree to New Contract

Published

on

Washington Spirit and Star Defender Tara Rudd Agree to New Contract


2025 NWSL Defender of the Year signs three-year deal with 2029 and 2030 club options

Washington, D.C. (02/17/2026) – The Washington Spirit and star defender Tara Rudd (née McKeown) have agreed to a new contract, the club announced today. Rudd’s new deal will go through the 2028 season, carry 2029 and 2030 club options, and include a signing bonus.

“I’m beyond excited to continue my journey with the Washington Spirit,” said Rudd. “This organization has believed in me from day one and I’m proud to represent this community and keep pushing to raise the standard and compete for championships with my teammates. D.C. has become my home and there’s no place I’d rather be. I cannot wait to continue to build on what we’ve started here and give our amazing fans a lot more to cheer for over the coming years.”

One of Washington’s most consistent players across the past three seasons, Rudd continues to be a leader with the Spirit. Following up her Iron Woman season in 2024, the fifth-year player earned her first call-ups to the U.S. Women’s National Team (USWNT) and took home the NWSL’s Defender of the Year award in 2025. Rudd ranked in the top two among all defenders in the NWSL in interceptions in 2025 with 50 as well as top four in both blocked shots and tackle success among defenders with a minimum of 1,000 minutes.

Advertisement

“Tara Rudd is a Washington Spirit cornerstone,” said President of Soccer Operations Haley Carter. “The 2025 NWSL Defender of the Year and a consistent USWNT presence, she is central to everything we are building here. Her growth into one of the premier defenders in this league speaks to what she puts in every single day, and we’re proud that our environment and support system have been part of that journey. We are thrilled that Tara shares our vision for what this club can achieve, and we cannot wait to see what the next chapter looks like together.”

At the international level, Rudd has been a mainstay of the USWNT roster since earning her first call-up to the senior team following the 2024 NWSL season. The defender has appeared in ten matches for the side so far and even dished out three assists from the back line.

Originally from Newbury Park, California, Rudd attended the University of Southern California before being drafted by the Spirit with the eighth overall pick in 2021. In four seasons with the Trojans, Rudd tallied 33 goals and 28 assists in 76 appearances, earning First Team All-American honors once and First Team All-Pac-12 honors twice in the process. Rudd also earned a Pac-12 All-Freshman Team nod in 2017 and an All-Pac-12 Third Team nod in 2018.

The Spirit season kicks off in March with Spirit Fest, the team’s annual free fan event on March 8 at 2 p.m. at The Anthem in DC. Tickets are available HERE. Then on March 13 at 8 p.m., the Spirit begins its quest for a third consecutive NWSL Championship appearance when it faces Portland Thorns FC in the team’s 2026 home opener at Audi Field. Tickets are available HERE.

About The Washington Spirit

Advertisement

The Washington Spirit is the premier professional women’s soccer team based in Washington, D.C. and plays at Audi Field in Buzzard Point. The Spirit was founded on November 21, 2012 and is an inaugural member of the National Women’s Soccer League (NWSL) the fastest growing sports league in the US. The club is home to some of the best players in the world who have won championships for both club and country. For more information about the Spirit, visit WashingtonSpirit.com and follow the club on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending