Connect with us

San Diego, CA

Padres notes: Jackson Merrill wraps up second spring with a bang; Yu Darvish in San Diego; CBT watch

Published

on

Padres notes: Jackson Merrill wraps up second spring with a bang; Yu Darvish in San Diego; CBT watch


SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. — Jackson Merrill is ready for his encore season.

“I’ve been ready since we stepped into the building for spring training,” Merrill said. “Maybe not like baseball-wise, but mind-wise, I’ve been ready to go. It wasn’t slow in spring training. Just had a few games where I didn’t feel too right. But then now it just feels like things are back.”

Aside from the one plate appearance the regulars will get in Monday’s Cactus League finale, Merrill on Sunday capped his second spring training as a major leaguer with his fourth home run in a 5-5 tie with the Diamondbacks.

He spoke afterward of this year being a different kind of learning process — one in which he had to get used to the routine of not playing routinely. He is the junkiest of baseball junkies, usually arriving at the ballpark before any other teammate and staying in the dugout until the end of almost every spring training game. So being an established big-leaguer this year and rarely traveling to away games in the spring was a foreign way to ramp up.

Advertisement

Last spring, he played almost every day as the Padres got him ready to make his big-league debut at what was then his new position in center field.

“Last year was a completely different vibe,” he said. “But I’m kind of a little bit — not upset with myself, but I think I could have treated it the same as last year and maybe got a little more progress out of it. But to be honest, I feel like I’m just in a spot now where I’m getting better day by day. So it’s kind of nice to chill and build it up, because now I’m ready for 162 better than I’ve ever been.”

Merrill was an All-Star last season, won the Silver Slugger for National League center fielders and finished second in NL Rookie of the Year voting and ninth in NL MVP voting.

He came into this spring knowing he would be batting third this season as opposed to the back half of the lineup. He aimed to be more selective at the plate and then did not walk once in 45 plate appearances.

“That was kind of annoying, but I was getting pitches to hit,” said Merrill, who batted .244 (11-for-45) and put 11 of his 34 balls in play at 101 mph or harder in Cactus League play. “I think I had long ABs, good ABs — some bad ones, but a lot of good ABs and a lot of good contact. I think a lot more power, a lot more barrel. When I hit it, it sounds a little different than it did last year.”

Advertisement

Darvish update

Yu Darvish returned to San Diego and is expected to resume playing catch in the coming days.

The 38-year-old right-hander began experiencing elbow discomfort more than a week ago. His March 16 bullpen session was canceled, and he has not played catch since a brief turn throwing softly on Tuesday.

Darvish has been examined by Dr. Keith Meister, a renowned orthopedic surgeon. The Padres believe there is no ligament damage that would require surgery and that rest will be enough to get him back on the mound in relatively short order.

When Darvish returns, however, will be dependent on how he feels. And a team source reiterated Sunday the team’s plan has been to try to preserve Darvish for later in the season, so there will not be a rush for him to get back on the mound.

CBT watch

Once Yuli Gurriel ($1.25 million), Jose Iglesias ($3 million) and Martín Maldonado ($1 million) officially join Gavin Sheets ($1.6 million) on the 40-man roster, the Padres will be projected to be over the second Competitive Balance Tax threshold of $261 million.

Advertisement

They would be taxed at a rate of 20% on the first $20 million by which they exceed the $241 million base CBT threshold and 32% for every dollar they are over the second threshold.

Teams are not assessed that tax until their CBT payroll is figured out at the end of the season, so the final number could change via any number of transactions.

For a deeper dive into the team, sign up for Kevin Acee’s free “Padres Daily” newsletter delivered to your inbox the morning after virtually every game during the season. Subscribe here.

Originally Published:



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

San Diego, CA

Morning Report: ​​Connections Emerge Between Chula Vista Superintendent and Builder

Published

on

Morning Report: ​​Connections Emerge Between Chula Vista Superintendent and Builder


New documents show that the superintendent of Chula Vista Elementary School District and a company he pushed as a prospective district contractor have been connected since at least 2018. 

Al Renteria, the operator of Dr. Build, donated $100 to Superintendent Eduardo Reyes’ campaign for school board in 2018. 

Reyes, allegedly pressured a district employee multiple times to award a contract to Renteria, as our Will Huntsberry revealed earlier this week. The district employee who made the allegation is also under investigation for allegedly having an unusually close relationship with a separate company. 

A district spokesperson has repeatedly not answered questions about how long Reyes and Renteria have known each other. The spokesperson previously said they have no personal relationship. 

Advertisement

“The idea that Dr. Reyes would be influenced by a publicly disclosed $100 contribution is preposterous,” the spokesperson wrote. 

Read the full story here. 

Two D1 Candidates Push for Delayed County Budget Vote

San Diego County Administration Building / File photo by Brittany Cruz-Fejeran

A quiet campaign to delay the county’s annual budget vote got a lot louder on Wednesday but also didn’t seem to get any more likely to succeed – at least directly.

Imperial Beach Mayor Paloma Aguirre and Chula Vista Deputy Mayor Carolina Chavez, who are both vying for the open District 1 supervisor’s seat, argued that county supervisors shouldn’t approve a budget until the South Bay seat is filled.

One big complication: A now politically divided County Board of Supervisors would need to vote to agree to formally shift a budget timeline now scheduled to end with a vote by the end of June – and Supervisors Joel Anderson and Terra Lawson-Remer told Voice of San Diego they don’t want to do that.

Advertisement

But also: District 1 candidates may get their wish anyway. While Lawson-Remer doesn’t want to change the county’s budget timeline, she also doesn’t expect the political divided board to pass a budget by the end of June. She predicts the winner of the District 1 race, widely expected to be decided in a July 1 runoff, will be the deciding vote on the county’s budget.

Read the full story.

The Learning Curve: What Trump’s Cuts Mean for One University 

University of California San Diego in La Jolla on Feb. 14, 2023.
University of California San Diego in La Jolla on Feb. 14, 2023. / Photo by Ariana Drehsler

UC San Diego Chancellor Pradeep Khosla is calling attention to how funding cuts proposed by the Trump administration could impact the university. 

In the email sent to staff on Tuesday, Khosla wrote university officials had received notices of the disruption of funding sources to around 50 UCSD researchers. The university has also seen a “concerning rise,” in delayed payments for projects not paused or cut.  

The actions pose a “significant financial risk to the university,” Khosla wrote. Still, they were “unable to predict exactly what the losses will be,” he continued. 

The university leader also laid out a series of actions the school is taking to deal with the shortfall, Jakob McWhinney writes in the latest Learning Curve. 

Advertisement

Read more here. 

Save the Date: Politifest 2025

That’s right, Politifest is back, baby! 

Mark your calendars for Politifest 2025 on Saturday, Oct. 4, at University of San Diego. We’ll be back with a great lineup of speakers and panel discussions.  

In Other News

  • The San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce has a new CEO: Chris Cate, a former San Diego councilmember. Axios San Diego spoke to Cate about what’s next and what this means for the Chamber. (Editor’s note: Chris Cate currently serves on Voice of San Diego’s board.) 
  • National City has replaced security guards with police officers at its library. (inewsource)
  • It should come as no surprise that newly built homes are hard to come by in San Diego. A new report found that last month the region only saw 50 developments of single-family homes, condos and townhouses. (Union-Tribune)  
  • Chula Vista and the Port of San Diego are celebrating more access to the bay with a new park near the Gaylord development.(KPBS) Also, the Port is planning to increase parking rates along the bay. (NBC 7) 
  • Speaking of fees: The city of San Diego’s Environmental Services Department will recommend to the City Council that the city’s new monthly trash fee be $53. (NBC 7) 
  • In 2018, a couple called on police to get their son help. He was making threats to drive his sports car the wrong way on the freeway. San Diego police said they couldn’t do anything. Later that day, he followed through and died after colliding with a van – the woman and daughter in that car died as well. Following several lawsuits from both families, SDPD has made policy changes to how officers respond. (CBS 8)  

The Morning Report was written by Will Huntsberry, Lisa Halverstadt and Andrea Lopez-Villafaña. It was edited by Andrea Lopez-Villafaña.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

San Diego, CA

East County plumbing contractor ordered to pay over $1M for workers' comp fraud

Published

on

East County plumbing contractor ordered to pay over M for workers' comp fraud


An East County-based plumbing contractor has been ordered to pay more than $1 million in restitution in a workers’ compensation fraud case brought by local prosecutors.

The San Diego County District Attorney’s Office said an investigation and audit into GPS Plumbing found that the company wasn’t reporting millions of dollars in payroll.

The wages GPS Plumbing reported to the Employment Development Department and the wages it reported to the State Compensation Insurance Fund — which provided the company with workers’ compensation insurance coverage — revealed “a vast difference,” the DA’s Office said.

The company’s owner, Daniela Birdwell, pleaded guilty to one count of workers’ compensation insurance premium fraud. Along with the $1,030,062 restitution order, Birdwell was sentenced to two years of probation and ordered to perform 320 hours of community service.

Advertisement

“Employers who engage in premium fraud are not only breaking the law, they also gain an unfair advantage over their competitors,” San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan said in a statement.

The DA’s Office said insurance fraud is the second-largest economic crime in the nation, costing consumers an estimated $80 billion to $90 billion annually.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

San Diego, CA

Morning Report: Corruption Allegations in Chula Vista Schools

Published

on

Morning Report: Corruption Allegations in Chula Vista Schools


In recent decades, two South Bay school districts have been home to corruption scandals that ended with superintendents serving jail time in pay-to-play scandals. 

Now, a different South Bay district is embroiled in pay-to-play corruption allegations, as our Will Huntsberry reveals in a new story.

The former COO of Chula Vista Elementary School District is under investigation for allegedly having an unusually close relationship with a company seeking to do work in the district, district officials confirmed.

But the former COO, Jovanim Martinez, said the investigation against him is retaliatory. It wasn’t him trying to make sure work got awarded to certain companies — it was actually the district Superintendent Eduardo Reyes and Board Member Francisco Tamayo.

Advertisement

On top of that, Martinez said he and another employee were essentially ordered by an assistant superintendent to organize a fundraiser and host on behalf of two school board candidates as part of their district duties. 

In a series of shocking allegations, Martinez said that Reyes pressured him to award a contract to a company called Dr. Build that specializes in ADU construction. When a contract didn’t go to Dr. Build, Reyes pulled it from a board meeting agenda. 

District officials, however, say Reyes pulled the contract because they believe Martinez had found a way to make sure it went to a different company. 

Read the full story here. 

South County Report: District 1 Race Home Stretch

San Diego County supervisor candidates from left to right: Imperial Beach Mayor Paloma Aguirre, San Diego Councilmember Vivian Moreno, Chula Vista Mayor John McCann and Chula Vista Councilmember Carolina Chavez.

Just when San Diegans thought they were out of balance shifting County Supervisor elections, former Supervisor Nora Vargas pulled them back in. 

Advertisement

Vargas’ abrupt resignation four months ago set up a high-stakes face-off to replace her not seen since November, when former Mayor and Republican Kevin Faulconer challenged Democratic incumbent Terra Lawson-Remer for the District 3 seat. Faulconer lost that election, ensuring Democrats kept control of the County government – for now. 

A whole host of would-be successors have stepped up to run for Vargas’ seat and in the process, have raised over $2 million. Those candidates include multiple high-profile Democratic politicians who’ve been slugging it out in campaign ads. Given the number of Democrats in the race, they’re likely fighting for second place – and a ticket to a runoff – behind Chula Vista Mayor John McCann.

And even though South County has long been solidly Democratic, recent electoral shifts, and the more conservative nature of run-off elections, could play in McCann’s favor. 

Read the South County Report here.

Song of the Week

Ian Curtis, “Novel”: An enchanting, understated dose of indie rock, “Novel,” is both wistful and hopeful. Curtis’ velvety vocals float on top of a mellow acoustic guitar and bouncy bassline. It’s the kind of song that, although compact, feels like it’s taking deep breaths. It’s in no hurry to get to where it’s going, even if where it’s going is right around the corner. Read more about the Song of the Week here. 

Advertisement

Like what you hear? Check out Ian Curtis at Soda Bar on Saturday, April 5. 

Do you have a “Song of the Week” suggestion? Shoot us an email and a sentence or two about why you’ve been bumping this song lately. Friendly reminder: all songs should be by local artists. 

In Other News 

  • A jury has decided that National City must pay a former police officer $10 million in damages in a suit where she alleged that she was sexually harassed, discriminated against and retaliated against while working for the police department. The Union-Tribune reports the City Council is set to discuss the verdict and consider the city’s legal options. The settlement makes up 15 percent of the small city’s general fund. 
  • KPBS reports that some people are tuning out of politics to protect their mental health. 
  • One person died after falling from the wall on the U.S.-Mexico border on Monday and another was injured, according to authorities. 
  • City Heights businesses are finally getting some relief with the reopening of University Avenue between Fairmont and Euclid, but still, some say the damage has been done. The busy main road has been bogged down by ongoing construction for at least two years. 
  • The Trump administration has frozen $44 million in federal funds meant to help combat homelessness in San Diego. HUD officials are requiring local leaders to sign a new contract with the vague prohibition of “promoting illegal immigration.” (Union-Tribune)

The Morning Report was written by Will Huntsberry and Jakob McWhinney. It was edited by Andrea Lopez-Villafaña. 



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending