San Diego, CA
Juan Soto booed in return to San Diego. He regrets that he didn’t play better for Padres.

SAN DIEGO — Padres fans didn’t even hesitate, booing Juan Soto the moment his name was announced in the pre-game starting lineups Friday night. The boos got louder with every step he took towards home plate, and were thunderous when he stepped into the batter’s box.
Soto hardly was solely responsible for the Padres’ embarrassing 2023 season that saw them fail to make the postseason. He wasn’t the one who vowed the Padres would win their first World Series after joining the team two years ago. Yet, he epitomized the fans’ frustration over their grossly underachieving 82-80 season.
Now that Soto is absolutely thriving in a New York Yankees’ uniform, putting up the kind of the numbers the Padres envisioned, the sellout crowd at Petco Park voiced their anger and frustration, loud and clear.
“It’s kind of tough for me because (the fans) were there every day for me,’’ Soto said before the game. “I know I tried my best. I played hard every game. But I didn’t play at my best, you know?
“And that’s one of the things I was kind of sad about, because I couldn’t show them how great I can be.’’
Soto was supposed to be the slugger that finally ended the Padres’ World Series drought, with expectations reaching surreal heights. Instead, the streak is 55 years and counting with no end in sight.
“For me, I think it’s just baseball,’’ Soto said, when asked to explain what happened. “At the end of the day, even if you have the best team on paper, you’ve got to go out and try to win games. But stuff happens.
“We didn’t have the luck on our side in 2023. We have some games when there was nothing we can do. But it is what it is. Now, it’s in the past.
“I just learn from it. Definitely, I learned a lot of things last year that is going to help me this year, and it’s going to help the group I’m around. I just take it and keep moving forward.’’
Soto, who was traded to the Padres from the Washington Nationals on Aug. 2, 2022, was never the difference-maker the Padres envisioned. They wanted to try one last year with Soto, but with financial woes that included a loan to help make payroll last fall, the Padres traded him to the Yankees on Dec. 6.
In New York, Soto has been the player the Padres thought they were getting to lead them to the promised land when they traded four prized prospects to Washington.
Soto, 25, entered Friday as the favorite to win the American League MVP award, hitting .312 with 13 homers and 41 RBI, with a .409 on-base percentage, .563 slugging percentage and .972 OPS. He has been one of the game’s most dangerous hitters with runners in scoring position, hitting .357 with a .619 slugging percentage, with three homers and 28 RBI. He added to his totals Friday night, launching a two-run home run in the third inning.
The Padres were waiting for the same production during his San Diego stint, but he hit .265 with a .893 OPS, with 41 homers and 125 RBI. Certainly good numbers, but short of expectations.
So the Padres shipped him to New York, and while players can wilt under the New York spotlight, Soto has thrived.
“He’s been pretty awesome,’’ Yankees manager Aaron Boone said. “What I’ve enjoyed is what I believe is a really good teammate and a guy that’s been a really good person in our room.
“He’s about winning and all of those intangible things, the behind-the-scenes things, that’s what’s gotten me the most excited.’’
Several Padres players and coaches don’t share the same sentiments, with some questioning why Soto’s intensity and skills have accelerated since joining the Yankees. But everyone in the Padres’ clubhouse kept their public opinions positive.
“He’s been having a hell of a season,’’ Padres third baseman Manny Machado said. “So, I’m excited to see him again and see what he’s been doing first-hand. He was a big part of our last two seasons, here.’’
The Padres tried several times to sign Soto to a contract extension during his stay, but nothing ever came close to materializing before he was traded.
“Man, this is a great city, it’s a great fan base, a great team,’’ Soto said. “But at the end of the day, we just couldn’t get it done, and keep moving forward.’’
The Yankees will also try to sign him to an extension before he’s a free agent, Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner said last week. Yet, with free agency so close, there’s little chance he’ll consider signing before the Yankees and Mets engage in a potential bidding war that could top $500 million.
“I love it here, it’s a great city, it’s an unbelievable group in there,’’ Soto said. “I’m excited. I’m more than happy where I am right now.
“It’s just a great vibe we have in there.’’
It was the same mantra Soto expressed with the Padres, saying all the right things — how much he loved San Diego and that he didn’t want to be traded. Yet, the Padres knew they had no choice but to trade him if they wanted to slash their payroll and be competitive.
“I know that’s what he wanted, he expressed that publicly and privately that he wanted to be here,’’ Machado said. “The lines just never aligned.’’
Said Padres right fielder Fernando Tatis Jr., one of Soto’s closest friends on the team: “Now that we’re facing each other, we’re not friends anymore. No, I love Juan. He’s a great guy. He’s a great baseball player. …
“I’m definitely not surprised what he’s doing. I knew he’d rise to the occasion. He’s that type of player.’’
Certainly, Soto should become the highest-paid free agent not named Shohei Ohtani this winter. The Mets badly crave him, knowing he can be their version of Aaron Judge. The Yankees would love to keep him, seeing the impact he has made on this year’s 35-17 team. Who knows if someone else will surprise and jump into the bidding, knowing the paycheck will start at $500 million after he rejected a 15-year, $440 million offer in 2022 from the Nationals?
“We’re going to be open to everybody,’’ Soto says, “everybody. We ain’t closing any doors. Whoever wants to talk about deals and stuff, I’m open to deal with it.
“But that’s going to be in the future.
“Right now, I’m a Yankee.’’
Follow Nightengale on X: @Bnightengale

San Diego, CA
Morning Report: Connections Emerge Between Chula Vista Superintendent and Builder

New documents show that the superintendent of Chula Vista Elementary School District and a company he pushed as a prospective district contractor have been connected since at least 2018.
Al Renteria, the operator of Dr. Build, donated $100 to Superintendent Eduardo Reyes’ campaign for school board in 2018.
Reyes, allegedly pressured a district employee multiple times to award a contract to Renteria, as our Will Huntsberry revealed earlier this week. The district employee who made the allegation is also under investigation for allegedly having an unusually close relationship with a separate company.
A district spokesperson has repeatedly not answered questions about how long Reyes and Renteria have known each other. The spokesperson previously said they have no personal relationship.
“The idea that Dr. Reyes would be influenced by a publicly disclosed $100 contribution is preposterous,” the spokesperson wrote.
Read the full story here.
Two D1 Candidates Push for Delayed County Budget Vote
A quiet campaign to delay the county’s annual budget vote got a lot louder on Wednesday but also didn’t seem to get any more likely to succeed – at least directly.
Imperial Beach Mayor Paloma Aguirre and Chula Vista Deputy Mayor Carolina Chavez, who are both vying for the open District 1 supervisor’s seat, argued that county supervisors shouldn’t approve a budget until the South Bay seat is filled.
One big complication: A now politically divided County Board of Supervisors would need to vote to agree to formally shift a budget timeline now scheduled to end with a vote by the end of June – and Supervisors Joel Anderson and Terra Lawson-Remer told Voice of San Diego they don’t want to do that.
But also: District 1 candidates may get their wish anyway. While Lawson-Remer doesn’t want to change the county’s budget timeline, she also doesn’t expect the political divided board to pass a budget by the end of June. She predicts the winner of the District 1 race, widely expected to be decided in a July 1 runoff, will be the deciding vote on the county’s budget.
Read the full story.
The Learning Curve: What Trump’s Cuts Mean for One University

UC San Diego Chancellor Pradeep Khosla is calling attention to how funding cuts proposed by the Trump administration could impact the university.
In the email sent to staff on Tuesday, Khosla wrote university officials had received notices of the disruption of funding sources to around 50 UCSD researchers. The university has also seen a “concerning rise,” in delayed payments for projects not paused or cut.
The actions pose a “significant financial risk to the university,” Khosla wrote. Still, they were “unable to predict exactly what the losses will be,” he continued.
The university leader also laid out a series of actions the school is taking to deal with the shortfall, Jakob McWhinney writes in the latest Learning Curve.
Read more here.
Save the Date: Politifest 2025
That’s right, Politifest is back, baby!
Mark your calendars for Politifest 2025 on Saturday, Oct. 4, at University of San Diego. We’ll be back with a great lineup of speakers and panel discussions.
In Other News
- The San Diego Regional Chamber of Commerce has a new CEO: Chris Cate, a former San Diego councilmember. Axios San Diego spoke to Cate about what’s next and what this means for the Chamber. (Editor’s note: Chris Cate currently serves on Voice of San Diego’s board.)
- National City has replaced security guards with police officers at its library. (inewsource)
- It should come as no surprise that newly built homes are hard to come by in San Diego. A new report found that last month the region only saw 50 developments of single-family homes, condos and townhouses. (Union-Tribune)
- Chula Vista and the Port of San Diego are celebrating more access to the bay with a new park near the Gaylord development.(KPBS) Also, the Port is planning to increase parking rates along the bay. (NBC 7)
- Speaking of fees: The city of San Diego’s Environmental Services Department will recommend to the City Council that the city’s new monthly trash fee be $53. (NBC 7)
- In 2018, a couple called on police to get their son help. He was making threats to drive his sports car the wrong way on the freeway. San Diego police said they couldn’t do anything. Later that day, he followed through and died after colliding with a van – the woman and daughter in that car died as well. Following several lawsuits from both families, SDPD has made policy changes to how officers respond. (CBS 8)
The Morning Report was written by Will Huntsberry, Lisa Halverstadt and Andrea Lopez-Villafaña. It was edited by Andrea Lopez-Villafaña.
San Diego, CA
East County plumbing contractor ordered to pay over $1M for workers' comp fraud

An East County-based plumbing contractor has been ordered to pay more than $1 million in restitution in a workers’ compensation fraud case brought by local prosecutors.
The San Diego County District Attorney’s Office said an investigation and audit into GPS Plumbing found that the company wasn’t reporting millions of dollars in payroll.
The wages GPS Plumbing reported to the Employment Development Department and the wages it reported to the State Compensation Insurance Fund — which provided the company with workers’ compensation insurance coverage — revealed “a vast difference,” the DA’s Office said.
The company’s owner, Daniela Birdwell, pleaded guilty to one count of workers’ compensation insurance premium fraud. Along with the $1,030,062 restitution order, Birdwell was sentenced to two years of probation and ordered to perform 320 hours of community service.
“Employers who engage in premium fraud are not only breaking the law, they also gain an unfair advantage over their competitors,” San Diego County District Attorney Summer Stephan said in a statement.
The DA’s Office said insurance fraud is the second-largest economic crime in the nation, costing consumers an estimated $80 billion to $90 billion annually.
San Diego, CA
Morning Report: Corruption Allegations in Chula Vista Schools

In recent decades, two South Bay school districts have been home to corruption scandals that ended with superintendents serving jail time in pay-to-play scandals.
Now, a different South Bay district is embroiled in pay-to-play corruption allegations, as our Will Huntsberry reveals in a new story.
The former COO of Chula Vista Elementary School District is under investigation for allegedly having an unusually close relationship with a company seeking to do work in the district, district officials confirmed.
But the former COO, Jovanim Martinez, said the investigation against him is retaliatory. It wasn’t him trying to make sure work got awarded to certain companies — it was actually the district Superintendent Eduardo Reyes and Board Member Francisco Tamayo.
On top of that, Martinez said he and another employee were essentially ordered by an assistant superintendent to organize a fundraiser and host on behalf of two school board candidates as part of their district duties.
In a series of shocking allegations, Martinez said that Reyes pressured him to award a contract to a company called Dr. Build that specializes in ADU construction. When a contract didn’t go to Dr. Build, Reyes pulled it from a board meeting agenda.
District officials, however, say Reyes pulled the contract because they believe Martinez had found a way to make sure it went to a different company.
Read the full story here.
South County Report: District 1 Race Home Stretch
Just when San Diegans thought they were out of balance shifting County Supervisor elections, former Supervisor Nora Vargas pulled them back in.
Vargas’ abrupt resignation four months ago set up a high-stakes face-off to replace her not seen since November, when former Mayor and Republican Kevin Faulconer challenged Democratic incumbent Terra Lawson-Remer for the District 3 seat. Faulconer lost that election, ensuring Democrats kept control of the County government – for now.
A whole host of would-be successors have stepped up to run for Vargas’ seat and in the process, have raised over $2 million. Those candidates include multiple high-profile Democratic politicians who’ve been slugging it out in campaign ads. Given the number of Democrats in the race, they’re likely fighting for second place – and a ticket to a runoff – behind Chula Vista Mayor John McCann.
And even though South County has long been solidly Democratic, recent electoral shifts, and the more conservative nature of run-off elections, could play in McCann’s favor.
Read the South County Report here.
Song of the Week
Ian Curtis, “Novel”: An enchanting, understated dose of indie rock, “Novel,” is both wistful and hopeful. Curtis’ velvety vocals float on top of a mellow acoustic guitar and bouncy bassline. It’s the kind of song that, although compact, feels like it’s taking deep breaths. It’s in no hurry to get to where it’s going, even if where it’s going is right around the corner. Read more about the Song of the Week here.
Like what you hear? Check out Ian Curtis at Soda Bar on Saturday, April 5.
Do you have a “Song of the Week” suggestion? Shoot us an email and a sentence or two about why you’ve been bumping this song lately. Friendly reminder: all songs should be by local artists.
In Other News
- A jury has decided that National City must pay a former police officer $10 million in damages in a suit where she alleged that she was sexually harassed, discriminated against and retaliated against while working for the police department. The Union-Tribune reports the City Council is set to discuss the verdict and consider the city’s legal options. The settlement makes up 15 percent of the small city’s general fund.
- KPBS reports that some people are tuning out of politics to protect their mental health.
- One person died after falling from the wall on the U.S.-Mexico border on Monday and another was injured, according to authorities.
- City Heights businesses are finally getting some relief with the reopening of University Avenue between Fairmont and Euclid, but still, some say the damage has been done. The busy main road has been bogged down by ongoing construction for at least two years.
- The Trump administration has frozen $44 million in federal funds meant to help combat homelessness in San Diego. HUD officials are requiring local leaders to sign a new contract with the vague prohibition of “promoting illegal immigration.” (Union-Tribune)
The Morning Report was written by Will Huntsberry and Jakob McWhinney. It was edited by Andrea Lopez-Villafaña.
-
News1 week ago
Trump Is Trying to Gain More Power Over Elections. Is His Effort Legal?
-
News1 week ago
Washington Bends to RFK Jr.’s ‘MAHA’ Agenda on Measles, Baby Formula and French Fries
-
News1 week ago
Companies Pull Back From Pride Events as Trump Targets D.E.I.
-
World1 week ago
At least six people killed in Israeli attacks on southern Syria
-
Technology1 week ago
Trump officials planned a military strike over Signal – with a magazine editor on the line
-
Technology1 week ago
The FBI launched a task force to investigate Tesla attacks
-
World1 week ago
No, Norway and Sweden haven't banned digital transactions
-
Culture1 week ago
Analysing Jamal Musiala’s bizarre corner goal for Germany against Italy