Connect with us

San Diego, CA

GRSM50 Adds Labor And Employment Pro In San Diego – Law360 Pulse

Published

on

GRSM50 Adds Labor And Employment Pro In San Diego – Law360 Pulse


Gordon Rees Scully Mansukhani LLP has hired as a partner for its employment law practice an attorney with prior private practice experience who has also worked for multiple companies and a…

Advertisement

Want to continue reading?

Unlock these benefits today when you sign-up for a FREE 7-day trial:

  • Gain a competitive edge with exclusive data visualization tools to tailor to your practice
  • Stay informed with daily newsletters and custom alerts across 14+ coverage areas relevant to you
  • Streamline your business of law needs with integrated news and research in a single destination

Already have an account? Sign In Now



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

San Diego, CA

18 years later, police still working to solve Lincoln Park killing

Published

on

18 years later, police still working to solve Lincoln Park killing


SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — It has been 18 years since the killing of a 31-year-old man in the Lincoln Park neighborhood, and San Diego police investigators are still working to solve the case.

On the evening of Dec. 23, 2005, authorities found a man who had been shot in front of a home in the 5000 block of Manomet Street, San Diego County Crime Stoppers along with the San Diego Police Department said in a news release Thursday.

The victim, identified as Thomas Johnson, died from his injuries.

Authorities determined Johnson had left his home at around 10:30 p.m. and returned there ten minutes later.

Advertisement

A witness told law enforcement they heard several gunshots after a loud commotion near the front of the home.

Anyone with information on the identity and or location of the suspect(s) linked to the killing of Johnson is asked to call the SDPD’s Homicide Cold Case Unit at 619-531-2293 or the Crime Stoppers anonymous tip line at 888-580-8477.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

San Diego, CA

UN adopts a resolution demanding that Sudan’s paramilitary force halt its siege of a Darfur city

Published

on

UN adopts a resolution demanding that Sudan’s paramilitary force halt its siege of a Darfur city


UNITED NATIONS (AP) — The U.N. Security Council adopted a resolution Thursday demanding that Sudan’s paramilitary force halt its siege of the only capital in the vast western region of Darfur that it doesn’t control where more than a million people are reportedly trapped.

The resolution, which was approved by a vote of 14-0 with Russia abstaining, expresses “grave concern” at the spreading violence and credible reports that the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces are carrying out “ethnically motivated violence” in El Fasher.

Sudan plunged into conflict in mid-April 2023, when long-simmering tensions between its military and paramilitary leaders broke out in the capital Khartoum and spread to other regions including Darfur, which became synonymous with genocide two decades ago. The U.N. says over 14,000 people have been killed and 33,000 injured.

Two decades ago, Darfur became synonymous with genocide and war crimes, particularly by the notorious Janjaweed Arab militias, against populations that identify as Central or East African. Up to 300,000 people were killed and 2.7 million were driven from their homes.

Advertisement

That legacy appears to have returned, with the International Criminal Court’s prosecutor, Karim Khan, saying in January there are grounds to believe both sides may be committing war crimes, crimes against humanity, or genocide in Darfur.

The RSF was formed from Janjaweed fighters by former Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, who ruled the country for three decades before being overthrown during a popular uprising in 2019. He is wanted by the ICC on charges of genocide and other crimes during the conflict in Darfur in the 2000s.

The resolution demands that the RSF and government forces ensure the protection of civilians, including allowing those wishing to move in El Fasher or leave the North Darfur capital to safer areas.

It calls for an immediate halt to the fighting and de-escalation around El Fasher, and for “the withdrawal of all fighters that threaten the safety and security of civilians.”

The resolution calls on both sides “to seek an immediate cessation of hostilities, leading to a sustainable resolution to the conflict, through dialogue,” supported by U.N. envoy Ramtane Lamamra and the African Union’s High-Level Panel on Sudan.

Advertisement

It also calls on all nations to halt interference fomenting conflict and instability instead of peace efforts and to remind countries supplying weapons to the combatants that they are violating a U.N. arms embargo and could face sanctions.

U.N. political chief Rosemary DiCarlo told the council on April 19 that the year-long war has been fueled by weapons from foreign supporters who continue to flout U.N. sanctions aimed at helping end the conflict. “This is illegal, it is immoral, and it must stop,” she said.

She didn’t name any of the foreign supporters.

But Burhan, who led a military takeover of Sudan in 2021, is a close ally of neighboring Egypt and its president, former army chief Abdel-Fattah el-Sissi. In February, Sudan’s foreign minister held talks in Tehran with his Iranian counterpart amid unconfirmed reports of drone purchases for government forces.

Dagalo, the leader of the RSF, has reportedly received support from Russia’s Wagner mercenary group. U.N. experts said in a recent report that the RSF has also received support from Arab allied communities and new military supply lines running through Chad, Libya and South Sudan.

Advertisement

The resolution expresses concern at “the catastrophic and deteriorating humanitarian situation, including crisis-level or worse acute food insecurity, and the imminent risk of famine, particularly in Darfur.”

The U.N. humanitarian office said Tuesday that the U.N. and aid organizations “are working against the clock to stave off famine and mitigate the most pressing humanitarian needs in Sudan.

But the U.N. said this is “incredibly challenging” because this year’s humanitarian appeal for Sudan is just 16% cent funded — with less than $441 million received of the $2.7 billion required.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

San Diego, CA

CalFresh seeing record-high enrollment

Published

on

CalFresh seeing record-high enrollment


SAN DIEGO (FOX 5/KUSI) — California’s federal food assistance program, known as CalFresh, is seeing record-high numbers this summer.

“It’s truly the cost of living in San Diego and inflation,” said Serene Jneid-Ruparelia, Feeding San Diego services assistant manager.

The program makes healthy food available to eligible families by providing a financial supplement that can be used to buy fresh produce at authorized stores.

As of June 1, almost 400,000 people are enrolled in CalFresh, a nearly 6% increase from a year ago. 

Advertisement

However, sometimes that supplemental income isn’t enough and those who need it don’t qualify.

“From what I see, I think there is a gap that CalFresh is saying ‘hey you make too much money’ but that’s still not enough money in San Diego with their family,” said Jneid-Ruparelia.

Making too much to receive government benefits but not enough to live; this is the problem many San Diegans are facing and they’re increasingly turning to the Feeding San Diego marketplace.

“The marketplace is a completely separate entity but we’re also a really great resource for neighbors who are in need of food assistance,” said Jneid-Ruparelia.

CalFresh operates alongside other federal and local programs, like Sun Bucks, to ensure food needs are being met throughout the community.

Advertisement

Sun Bucks helps families with school-aged children get through the summer months by giving them $120 for the summer, but is that really enough to feed a child?

“With this day and age with the prices increasing. and we’ve all seen the cost of groceries increase, I can imagine it helps,” said Sam Duke, Feeding San Diego director of programs.

But Duke says it likely doesn’t completely cover the cost.

And then there’s the hurdle of getting to these food distribution sites.

“On our website, feedingsandiego.org, we have a find food map and that map you can put your zip code in and the distance you want to travel,” Duke explained. “And then it’ll narrow in on that zip code.”

Advertisement

The online tool shows all their partners within the closest neighborhood, allowing shoppers to stay close to home and save on travel costs.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending