San Diego, CA
California wildfires: New blaze prompts evacuations in San Diego County
California wildfires: Two new wildfires broke in San Diego County in Southern California as powerful Santa Ana winds picked up pace on Tuesday.
Evacuation orders were issued for the Lilac Fire, which had burned about 50 acres (20 hectares), according to the Associated Press.
The fire was growing “with a moderate rate of spread and structures are threatened,” the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection posted.
Firefighters also made progress on the Pala Fire and it was reported as stopped, the agency said.
Also Read | Firefighters stop looters from stealing Emmy Award amid Los Angeles wildfires: ‘You’re not doing this’
The weather service has issued a warning of a “ particularly dangerous situation ” for parts of Los Angeles, Ventura and San Diego counties from Monday afternoon to Tuesday morning due to low humidity and damaging Santa Ana winds.
“The conditions are ripe for explosive fire growth should a fire start,” Andrew Rorke, a meteorologist with the weather service in Oxnard, told AP.
The fresh threat comes two weeks after two major blazes, which are still burning in the Los Angeles area, killed at least 27 people and destroyed more than 10,000 structures in the residential enclaves of Pacific Palisades and Altadena in Los Angeles.
Also Read | LA wildfires: From Gurdwaras, Churches to Buddhist temples, faith communities join hands to aid fire victims
David Acuna, a spokesman with the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection, said the biggest concerns are the Palisades and Eaton Fires breaking their containment lines and a new blaze starting.
“Don’t do things to start another fire so we can focus on the mitigation of the current fires,” Acuna said.
Kamala Harris visits Los Angeles
Former US Vice President Kamala Harris and her husband Doug Emhoff flew to Los Angeles on Monday after attending the inauguration of President Donald Trump.
They met with firefighters, volunteers and victims of the Eaton Fire in Altadena.
“We just came out to thank (firefighters), to thank the community and just remind folks that we’re all in this together,” Harris said, according to AP. She added that their home in Pacific Palisades was still standing.
Meanwhile, Trump, who criticized the response to the wildfires during his inaugural address, has said he will travel to Los Angeles on Friday.
San Diego, CA
Regrouping Chargers take on the struggling Raiders
Khalil Mack couldn’t wait to watch and rewatch all that went haywire during the Chargers’ 35-6 loss Nov. 16 to the Jacksonville Jaguars. So, he said he began dissecting the video as the team’s bus departed the stadium for the airport and a cross-country flight home.
Mack didn’t have to do it at that moment, but he was eager to learn what he could from the Chargers’ widest margin of defeat in Jim Harbaugh’s two-season tenure as their coach. He could have waited until after the Chargers’ bye in Week 12 and used it as preparation for Week 13.
But he believed it was best to begin the process of fixing all that went wrong as soon as possible, the better to prepare to face the Las Vegas Raiders on Sunday at SoFi Stadium and for the final five regular-season games to follow. Clearly, something was amiss in the game against the Jaguars.
There was no time to waste. So, Mack, a future Hall of Fame outside linebacker, went right to work.
It wasn’t pleasant. It wasn’t fun. It was work.
“I was on the bus, I watched it on the bus on the way to the plane, and some on the plane,” Mack said earlier this week of reviewing the Jacksonville horror show. “So, just to talk through a lot of stuff and correct a lot of stuff and, yeah, looking forward to this opportunity, the next opportunity.”
What did Mack learn from his video study? How can the Chargers improve after hitting rock-bottom during their loss to the Jaguars?
“Just the details, fine-tuning the details,” he said.
No question, it would be a start for a team with a 7-4 record that didn’t play like a team with a 7-4 record against Jacksonville. The Chargers must get back in sync if they are to defeat the Raiders, as expected, and enter the toughest part of their schedule. The Chargers are 9½-point favorites Sunday.
“Fine-tuning the details,” Mack said again and not for the last time.
It didn’t matter that the Chargers are favored to win by more than a touchdown or that their reeling opponent was 2-9 and fired offensive coordinator Chip Kelly after its latest defeat or that the first meeting between the teams was an easy Chargers victory. Mack believed they must get it right Sunday.
“This is no different than any other week, it’s a game we’ve got to win,” said Mack, a nine-time Pro Bowl selection over his 12 seasons in the NFL.
The Chargers’ stretch run gets more difficult after they face the Raiders. They end the regular season with games against the Philadelphia Eagles, Kansas City Chiefs, Dallas Cowboys, Houston Texans and Denver Broncos, each opponent jockeying for better playoff position.
The Raiders were the Chargers’ sole focus this week, though, and they weren’t sure what they would see from a Las Vegas team that has lost five consecutive, including a 24-10 loss to the Cleveland Browns in Week 12. The Raiders’ only wins were over the New England Patriots in Week 1 and the Tennessee Titans in Week 6. The Chargers defeated the Raiders in Week 2.
A change in offensive coordinators, with Greg Olson taking over for Kelly, meant throwing out the game plan, according to Chargers defensive coordinator Jesse Minter. He said they would approach Sunday’s game like a Week 1 matchup, focusing more on themselves than on the opposition.
“We spent the majority of the bye week looking at ourselves and then the last part of the week we started on the Raiders,” Minter said. “Obviously, you want to be prepared for the things they like (to run). We need to know where the really good players are that they’re going to feature.”
In the final analysis, the Chargers lost the battle of the offensive and defensive lines in their loss to the Jaguars. They failed to protect quarterback Justin Herbert and didn’t apply sufficient pressure on Jacksonville’s Trevor Lawrence while also giving up far too much on the ground.
The Jaguars rushed for 192 yards and four touchdowns on 47 attempts.
Harbaugh said Jamaree Salyer would start at left tackle Sunday, the Chargers’ third different starter as Herbert’s blind-side protector after Rashawn Slater suffered a season-ending knee injury during training camp in August and Joe Alt sustained a season-ending ankle injury in Week 9.
The Chargers also could get a boost on their defensive line if Otito Ogbonnia is sound enough to play against the Raiders. He was listed Friday as questionable to play because of an elbow injury that sent him to injured reserve after a loss to the Indianapolis Colts in Week 7.
“Everybody cares, everybody wants to be good at their work, and that’s what I’ve seen throughout the season,” Harbaugh said of the Chargers’ mindset coming out of the bye week. “The guys came back Monday and I couldn’t have scripted it any better. Every guy was locked in.”
CHARGERS (7-4) vs. RAIDERS (2-9)
When: 1:25 p.m. Sunday
Where: SoFi Stadium
TV/Radio: Ch. 2; 640 AM/94.3 FM (Spanish)
San Diego, CA
Former ‘Mr. Basketball’ makes name for himself with Rady Children’s Invitational showing
An unlikely supporters’ section voiced its approval for Rady Children’s Invitational Most Valuable Player Brock Harding on the way to a 74-63 TCU win over Wisconsin on Friday.
Trading the cold of Moline, Illinois — high temperature over the weekend: 33 degrees — for mid-70s outside and even hotter hoops inside the Jenny Craig Pavilion, Harding’s parents and his childhood school nurse cheered on a championship performance.
“That was such a surprise,” Harding said of being greeted by Elizabeth McLaughlin, a nurse at Jordan/Seton Catholic Schools in the TCU guard’s western Illinois hometown. “It was great getting that sense of home in San Diego.”
McLaughlin, who apologized for her voice going hoarse from rooting on the Horned Frogs, cared for Harding when he experienced migraines as an elementary school student.
“He really suffered,” said McLaughlin, who Harding knew back in school as Nurse Buffy. “But clearly, he’s doing fine.”
Harding’s been more than fine on the basketball court for a while now. He transferred to the public Moline High School from Seton and developed into a prep sensation, winning Mr. Basketball for the state of Illinois in 2023.
He’s in an elite class with past winners of the award that include former NBA MVP Derrick Rose and current New York Knicks superstar Jalen Brunson. Adding the Rady Children’s Invitational hardware to his resume, Harding joined USC’s Javian McCollum and Purdue’s Trey Kaufman-Renn as the first three MVPs in the tournament’s history.
And while San Diego is quite a trek from Moline, Harding performed here with the same fire that earned him Mr. Basketball in his home state. He shot 6 for 9 from the floor on the way to 16 points, dished five assists and grabbed four rebounds in TCU’s championship-game defeat of Wisconsin.
His effort on Friday followed a 19-point, 12-assist double-double in TCU’s 84-80 win Thursday over reigning national champions Florida.
“With the work this team puts in, we can really accomplish anything we want,” Harding said. “We don’t have a ceiling.”
TCU showing limitless potential in San Diego speaks to how abruptly things can turn around. The Horned Frogs opened the 2025-26 campaign with a stunning, 78-74 loss to a University of New Orleans program that finished 4-27 a season ago.
UNO dramatically overhauled its roster in the offseason under the direction of hip hop mogul and new President of Basketball Operations Percy “Master P.” Miller, but the opening-night upset was shocking nonetheless. And, according to Harding, “it was a wake-up call.”
“We thought we had a good team. We knew we’d brought in a lot of good pieces in the offseason,” he said. “But if you don’t bring your all every single night, there’s other people who want to win games, too.”
TCU lost again 11 nights later on Nov. 14, but the 67-63 setback to Michigan offered a much more positive measure of what the Horned Frogs could be. TCU has since won three straight, with its two impressive performances at the Rady Children’s Invitational. Friday’s title tilt also demonstrated the Horned Frogs’ growth in the limited time since seeing Michigan, as TCU avoided letting a halftime lead slip away to the Wolverines’ Big Ten Conference counterparts, Wisconsin.
The Horned Frogs saw a double-digit-point lead whittled to just four by intermission, thanks to the 3-point shooting of John Blackwell — who scored 30 points on Friday — and savvy playmaking by former San Diego State guard Nick Boyd.
But while Boyd finished with 15 points, he was held seven points below his season average — and 21 fewer than his eruption in the Badgers’ win Thursday over Providence. Guarded primarily by Harding, the explosive Boyd was not able to get his first shot attempt off until more than five minutes into Friday’s championship.
Harding held Boyd for just six second-half points, and TCU weathered the Wisconsin onslaught to push the lead to as many as 19 points.
In addition to his impressive statistical line, Harding was instrumental in the Horned Frogs establishing the game’s physical tone. Despite standing just 6 feet tall, the guard crashed to the glass and pursued loose balls with reckless abandon, culminating in a scuffle that earned Wisconsin’s Andrew Rohde a rally-killing technical foul.
McLaughlin, who was in town visiting family and decided to cheer on the youngster from Moline, said she couldn’t help but cringe seeing someone she knew as a youngster bumping around with opponents up to a foot taller and dozens of pounds heavier. But it’s also indicative of Harding’s game dating back to his elementary school days, and a main reason he’s “the hometown star” in the Quad Cities.
“He comes back and speaks to the kids,” she said. “He’s always been that way. He’s always been a leader.”
San Diego, CA
San Diego State vs. New Mexico picks, predictions for college football Week 14 game
The San Diego State Aztecs remain on track to host the Mountain West Championship Game on Dec. 5.
The Aztecs can assure themselves of the host role by winning Friday afternoon at New Mexico, which, like the Aztecs, is enjoying a resurgent season. Kickoff against the Lobos is at 12:30 p.m. PT at University Stadium and the game will air on CBS Sports Network.
The Aztecs (9-2, 6-1 MW) are coming off home wins against Boise State and San Jose State.
New Mexico (8-3, 5-2) has had a remarkable turnaround season under first-year coach Jason Eck, who previously helped turn around Idaho’s fortunes. The Lobos have won five straight games and are 5-0 at home. If New Mexico beats the Aztecs and those two teams end up as the league’s only 6–2 teams, New Mexico would host the title game. It can also host under other scenarios.
The Aztecs are enjoying a big turnaround from coach Sean Lewis’ first season, when the Aztecs were 3-9 overall, 2-5 in the MW and lost their last six games. Winning the MW title would be a nice capper as the Aztecs move into the new-look Pac-12, along with four league rivals. San Jose State will stay behind in the MW.
Several outlets and media personnel have made their picks for the Week 14 matchup. San Diego State is a 1.5-point road favorite against the Lobos and the over/under is 41.5 points, according to FanDuel.
Here’s a look at how a few prognosticators see the Aztecs-Lobos matchup playing out.
Bleacher Report’s David Kenyon is going with the Aztecs for the second straight week after picking against them three times in four games.
After simulating the outcome of the Lobo-Aztecs matchup more than 10,000 times, Dimers.com’s model gives New Mexico a 54% chance to cover the spread and a 56% win probability on the moneyline to improve to 9-3 overall. It predicts a 54% chance for the 41.5-point over/under to go under.
Bill Connelly’s SP+ model, a tempo- and opponent-adjusted measurement of college football efficiency, gives the Aztecs a 62% chance of a road win against the Lobos. This is the ninth straight game Connelly’s metrics-based formulas picked the Aztecs to win.
Odds Shark’s computer predicts SDSU will win, New Mexico will cover the 1.5-point spread and the 41.5-point total will go over. It predicts the Aztecs to win 34.1-33.5, which we’ll round to 34-33.
USA TODAY’s sports betting site has New Mexico covering the 1.5-point spread and the score to go over the 41.5-point over/under.
Odds are courtesy of FanDuel. Game odds refresh periodically and are subject to change. If you or someone you know has a gambling problem and wants help, call 1-800-GAMBLER.
MORE SAN DIEGO STATE NEWS & ANALYSIS
-
Science1 week agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
-
Ohio3 days agoSnow set to surge across Northeast Ohio, threatening Thanksgiving travel
-
Northeast1 week agoCamelot or Cringe?: Meet JFK’s grandson turned congressional candidate for the scrolling generation
-
Southeast1 week agoAlabama teacher arrested, fired after alleged beating of son captured on camera
