Connect with us

Nevada

‘We’re looking for a lifeline;’ Nevada’s only Native youth shelter at risk of closing – The Nevada Independent

Published

on

‘We’re looking for a lifeline;’ Nevada’s only Native youth shelter at risk of closing – The Nevada Independent


When a child at Nevada’s only shelter for Native American youth found out that she would have to leave because the facility would soon close, the young girl’s reaction broke Yvonne Mori’s heart.

The 13-year-old came to Mori, the director of the Stepping Stones Emergency Youth Shelter but “Mama Bear” to its residents, and asked if she could give the money her tribe had set aside to support her to keep the shelter open.

“‘I’ll give you all of that money so you can save our home,’” Mori recounted. “She goes, ‘This is the only place that I feel safe.’” It was the girl’s fifth time staying at the shelter.

But Mori said she didn’t have a choice, she didn’t have the staff to safely keep the facility open.

Advertisement

“I had to have four children removed, and now we’re just waiting,” Mori told The Nevada Independent during an early August tour of the facility. “I’ve had phone calls in the last month from tribes trying to place children here, and I have to tell them, unfortunately, I can’t take any kids until we get funding.”

Director Yvonne Mori inside Stepping Stones Emergency Youth Shelter on Aug. 5, 2024, in Fallon on the Paiute-Shoshone Reservation. (David Calvert/The Nevada Independent)

Owned and operated by the Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribe since 1992, the Stepping Stones Emergency Youth Shelter is one of the country’s few facilities exclusively serving at-risk tribal children ages four to 18, many of whom are in and out of the foster care system. 

But the 10-bed facility about 20 miles outside of Fallon is officially scheduled to shutter in mid-September amid an issue with federal funding and what the tribe has described as a “surprising policy change.”

After the children left, she and other staff members packed bedding and other essentials into cupboards, put crafting supplies onto shelves and closed the fallboard over the keys of an upright piano. The usually bustling building, once filled with the noises of children waking up, getting ready for school and spending time together, is now silent.

“We’re putting dollar amounts on human lives and children’s lives, who are the most vulnerable,” Stepping Stones case manager Cara Clabaugh said in an interview, noting that it’s frustrating to see bureaucracy prevent children from getting the care they need.

Advertisement
From left, Stepping Stones Emergency Youth Shelter care workers Everett George and Echo Thomas, Director Yvonne Mori, Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribe Vice Chairman Andrew Hicks, Stepping Stones Emergency Youth Shelter care worker Theresa Arrive, case manager Cara Clabaugh and Tribal administrator Melanie McFalls pose for a group photo inside Stepping Stones Emergency Youth Shelter on Aug. 5, 2024, in Fallon on the Paiute-Shoshone Reservation. (David Calvert/The Nevada Independent)

Leaders of the Fallon Shoshone-Paiute Tribe, which has about 1,700 members, said the federal Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) cut off the shelter’s main funding source last year after the agency determined that it could no longer be used to directly support staffing or other operational costs.

In the 32 years since it was founded, the 24-hour shelter has hosted more than 1,000 Native American children, many of whom have had to return for repeat stays, Mori said. The shelter typically serves children belonging to tribal communities in Northern Nevada, but some come from as far away as Southern Nevada or neighboring states such as Idaho and California.

Now, tribal leaders and other members of the community worry that its permanent closure will lead to children being returned to inappropriate family settings, potentially putting them in life-threatening danger or placement in out-of-state shelters far away from their homes and culturally familiar settings.

“A lot of these kids come from reservations, and they come here to come to another reservation. They’re not going to a city where it’s just lined with concrete and buildings,” Fallon Paiute-Shoshone Tribe Vice Chairman Andrew Hicks said. “They can step out and see 80 acres of fields. It’s just what they’re used to. It just feels like their home.”

Director Yvonne Mori gives a tour of Stepping Stones Emergency Youth Shelter on Aug. 5, 2024, in Fallon on the Paiute-Shoshone Reservation. (David Calvert/The Nevada Independent)

What happened?

The shelter is primarily supported by two main buckets of funding: administrative funds and welfare assistance grant funding from the BIA. In 2019, the BIA requested the shelter separate its accounting for administrative and welfare assistance funding. 

When tribal leaders informed the agency that this would be an issue because all funding was used to support the emergency youth shelter, the BIA indicated there could be a compliance issue, as welfare assistance grant funding is legally restricted from being used for operational costs — a practice that had been in place at the shelter for more than 30 years. 

Advertisement

The BIA pointed to federal law stipulating that child welfare assistance funds could pay for room and board at residential care facilities licensed by the tribe or state, adoption or guardianship subsidies, short-term homemaker services and temporary foster care. 

The tribe responded that it operated a residential care facility, and all the funding was used to support the children, similar to how guardianship and temporary foster care placement subsidies are used. 

Two years later, on July 10, 2021, bureau officials informed the tribe that the welfare assistance grant funding could only be used to pay for room and board, not for staff salaries or other operational expenses, and not for administrative functions. In total, the operating budget for the shelter is roughly $600,000 a year.

“As [BIA officials] were always aware of our scope of work as a care facility, our assumption was that they were acting as the social services agency,” Mori said. “But they denied this and said that we were to act as the social services agency, not a shelter.”

Documentation reviewed by The Nevada Independent shows the agency then placed the welfare assistance funding on hold and required the tribe to submit a corrective action plan showing how it would comply with the rule to continue receiving funding. The shelter received a one-time award from the BIA of nearly $400,000 that could be used for administrative costs while the plan was developed.

Advertisement

Mori said the obstacle appeared to be that the tribe needed to receive and distribute the welfare assistance funding to the shelter through its social service agency. The tribe submitted its plan in October 2021, outlining how it would funnel funding through the tribe’s social services agency to pay for the shelter.

Mori and Hicks said BIA staff had assured them that once a plan was in place, funding could continue. They said everything seemed to be fine, and after a couple of inquiries in 2022 about the action plan’s status, received an award modification noting that the 2021 welfare assistant grant funding had been released to the tribe. Mori said that was the only indication to the tribe that the action plan had been accepted, and they did not receive any additional correspondence from the BIA critiquing or requesting modifications to the plan.

Mori said she didn’t know anything was wrong until the shelter’s next scheduled allocation in 2023 wasn’t deposited. When the tribe asked bureau officials for the money, Mori said she was told that the shelter would not be receiving any further funding. The tribe was out of compliance with the law, and the welfare assistance funding could only be used for room and board. Though the tribe attempted to resolve the funding issue with the BIA, Mori and Hicks said its efforts were unsuccessful. 

Mori and Hicks said they couldn’t formally appeal the BIA’s decision until this year because of a technicality — the BIA’s decision was not issued in writing until March 2024 — further complicating efforts to keep the shelter open.

“We’ve been solely relying on BIA funding since the conception of this,” said Hicks, who has served on the tribal council since 2022. “So to have them take it away so quickly and suddenly without justification, that’s the troubling part.”

Representatives from the BIA did not respond to interview requests via email or voicemails about the situation.

Advertisement

On June 14, the National Congress of American Indians unanimously adopted a resolution demanding full federal funding for emergency youth shelters serving Native American children and, more specifically, calling for funding of Stepping Stones. 

A few days later, the tribe filed an appeal with the United States Civilian Board of Contract Appeals, challenging the BIA’s decision to withhold funding for the shelter. The board is an independent tribunal that presides over disputes involving Federal Executive branch agencies such as the BIA. The appeal is ongoing.

Other tribes in Nevada, including the Yerington Paiute Tribe, the Pyramid Lake Paiute Tribe, the Washoe Tribe of Nevada and California and the Walker River Paiute Tribe, have issued letters of support advocating for funding reinstatement.

“It’s kind of making the same mistake twice,” Hicks said, referencing the removal of Native American children in the late 1800s from their communities into boarding schools as part of an effort to erase cultural ties and knowledge. 

Barbara Bennett, the director of Pyramid Lake Tribal Social Services, warned that without the shelter, the tribe’s social services would be without an emergency placement for children experiencing an “uncertain and frightful time.” 

Advertisement

“[We] may find ourselves in the predicament of not having any emergency placement to take our children to,” Bennett wrote in a letter of support. “We as social workers cannot take children home with us.”

Director Yvonne Mori gives a tour of Stepping Stones Emergency Youth Shelter on Aug. 5, 2024, in Fallon on the Paiute-Shoshone Reservation. (David Calvert/The Nevada Independent)

‘Looking for a lifeline’

The loss of funding comes as the BIA has seen a historic increase in its budget and following efforts from the Biden administration to ensure that tribal nations “have greater autonomy over how they invest federal funding.” In December, President Joe Biden signed an executive order lowering tribes’ barriers to access federal funding, along with other changes to increase tribal sovereignty. 

The Indian Child Welfare Act and a recently implemented state law establish safeguards aimed at keeping Native American children with their families and stipulating that if a child has to be removed from their immediate family, they are placed under the care of an extended family member.

If staying with family isn’t an option, the law holds that every effort must be taken to ensure the child is placed with a family of the same tribe. Advocates say it’s essential for Native American children to remain connected to their culture and community.

Native American children who end up in a living situation off of a reservation can get in trouble for cultural differences such as not holding eye contact or having long hair. Holding eye contact is considered rude in Native American culture.

Advertisement

Without the shelter, the Tribe would have had absolutely nowhere to place our native children to keep them safe from further abuse and/or neglect,” Stacy Stahl, the director of social services for the Washoe Tribe of Nevada and California, wrote in a letter of support for reinstating the funding. 

Tribal leadership and staff at Stepping Stones said they have also reached out to Sen. Catherine Cortez Masto (D-NV), Sen. Jacky Rosen (D-NV), and Rep. Mark Amodei (R-NV).

In statements to The Nevada Independent, the senators said they were “deeply concerned” about the BIA withholding funding from the shelter. 

“I’ll keep working with Senator Cortez Masto to get answers about this, and ensure this critical shelter has the federal support it needs,” Rosen said.

Amodei’s office did not respond to a request from The Nevada Independent.

While the tribe waits to hear back, Hicks said it’s seeking other funding alternatives, even weighing what it would mean to open the shelter to non-tribal youth.

Advertisement

“We’re looking for a lifeline right now just to keep the shelter open,” he said. “We’re in the process of trying to find funding elsewhere, but we need that lifeline to keep it open for the next 12 months. These kids need it.”



Source link

Nevada

Nevada Athletics embarking on “Coaches Caravan” across the region

Published

on

Nevada Athletics embarking on “Coaches Caravan” across the region


RENO, Nev. (KOLO) – The Wolf Pack are headed on a road trip! A whole group of Nevada coaches, student athletes and staff are hitting the road across Northern Nevada to spread the brand of Wolf Pack athletics.

The trip will span over three days and over a thousand miles across the region, giving them the chance to connect with fans, alumni, and all the communities across Northern Nevada.

“It’s a really fun opportunity to get out in a lot of communities in Northern Nevada that often times come to Reno to support the Wolf Pack,” said head football coach Jeff Choate. “It’s an opportunity for us to get our brand out locally and just interact with some great people.”

The Coaches Caravan kicked off their journey Monday morning in Carson City, gathering at the Nevada State Capitol, greeted by a group of Wolf Pack faithful who were beyond excited to have the opportunity for interaction.

Advertisement

“So much about what college athletics is are bringing communities together. There’s nothing that brings a community together like sports,” said athletic director Stephanie Rempe. “It lets them get to know our coaches and athletes and the things that they’re trying to do to represent the university and the state of Nevada. Getting to know them and meet them makes you care that much more and makes them want to come support and cheer on the Pack!”

The Coaches Caravan continues through Northern Nevada until their final stop on Wednesday afternoon, meeting with thirteen communities around the region in total.

Copyright 2026 KOLO. All rights reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nevada

Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful

Published

on

Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful


The Las Vegas Raiders have orchestrated many groundbreaking moves this offseason, but none as important as the impact they made at a fundraising event.

Over the weekend, the Raiders hosted the Silver & Black Gala, raising $2.5 million for mental health in Nevada. Sunday marked the third time the organization had hosted the event, which has produced a tremendous turnout.

Advertisement

Jan 4, 2026; Paradise, Nevada, USA; The Las Vegas Raiders shield logo at midfield at Allegiant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Several individuals spoke during the event, including Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis and president Sandra Douglass Morgan, who each highlighted the importance of acknowledging mental health.

Advertisement

Davis’ Thoughts

Feb 10, 2026; Henderson, NV, USA; Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis at a press conference at Intermountain Health Performance Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “We’re here to raise money for mental health, which is one of the most important things we can all deal with,” Davis said. “Every one of us is impacted by mental health and our families, friends, or anywhere else, we are all directly affected. That’s why it’s so critical to raise money for our community. We’re grateful for you all, and appreciate you being here.”

Morgan’s Thoughts

Advertisement

Apr 24, 2026; Henderson, NV, USA; Las Vegas Raiders president Sandra Douglass Morgan listtens at introductory press conference for quarterback Fernando Mendoza at Intermountain Health Performance Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Advertisement

“Mental health remains one of the most urgent issues across Nevada,” Morgan said. “Through the Silver & Black Gala, the Raiders Foundation is helping expand access to trusted, community-based resources that meet people where they are. This year’s recipients reflect the depth and complexity of that work, supporting our community in schools, clubhouses, homes, shelters, and family systems statewide.”

The Raiders also honored former player Carl Nassib and NFL broadcaster Jay Glazer on Sunday night as the winners of the Commitment to Excellence award. Here is what each of them had to say.

Advertisement

Glazer’s Thoughts

Feb 6, 2025; New Orleans, LA, USA; Jay Glazer at Fox Sports media day at Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “First, this is incredible what the Raiders are doing,” Glazer said. “God blessed me with the ability to communicate, so I’m going to use that to try and help other people. When we’re willing to share our scars, we turn them into strength—into something that connects us as teammates with nothing to hide. That’s what builds a true team, a championship team. I’m proud to stand with you and be part of this team tonight.”

Nassib’s Thoughts

Advertisement

Oct 24, 2021; Paradise, Nevada, USA; Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib (94) reacts after the game against the Philadelphia Eagles Allegiant Stadium. The Raiders defeated the Eagles 33-22. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “It is truly a privilege to be up here,” Nassib said. “We’re creating space for people to be vulnerable—and that work is truly lifesaving. It’s not about being perfect, it’s about showing up and reminding people they’re not alone.”

Overall Thoughts

Advertisement

Jan 4, 2026; Paradise, Nevada, USA; The Las Vegas Raiders helmet logo on the video board at Allegiant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

This has been a tremendous event over the last few years, and the Raiders’ organization has done a great job of raising awareness for mental health. This will be an event that the team will continue to host in the future.

Advertisement

Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Continue Reading

Nevada

Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video

Published

on

Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video


Primm Valley Casino Resorts is shutting down its remaining hotel and casino operations in July as experts point to increased competition, changing travel habits and post-pandemic losses behind the decline.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending