Nevada
Nevada Latinos disappointed, not surprised, over judicial pause for ‘parole in place’ – The Nevada Independent
A Texas judge’s decision to temporarily block a Biden administration program that offered a lifeline to legal residency for hundreds of thousands of undocumented spouses didn’t exactly come as a surprise to Latino advocates in Nevada.
Instead, many of the attendees at an event hosted by the immigrant advocacy group Make the Road Nevada in Las Vegas last week said the ruling blocking the administration’s “parole in place” program was just the latest evidence that lasting immigration policy change would need to come from Congress and not executive action.
“The best way to get immigration reform done is through Congress,” said former Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Julian Castro, who spoke at the event. “We have another opportunity in November for people to make their voices heard and let politicians know that immigration reform is important to them and to keep pushing them once they’re in office.”
Parole in place grants deportation protections for undocumented spouses and stepchildren of U.S. citizens and a potential pathway to citizenship.
To qualify, applicants must have been married to a U.S. citizen prior to June 17, when the program was first announced. They must also not have a disqualifying criminal history (including all felonies and a number of other crimes, such as domestic violence and most drug offenses) and be able to prove they have lived continuously in the United States for at least 10 years. The federal government estimates that these noncitizens have resided in the U.S. for 23 years on average.
Parole in place promised to provide a lifeline for some members of Nevada’s undocumented community. According to an estimate by pro-immigration group FWD.us, 10,000 undocumented spouses in Nevada would be eligible for the program.
The federal judge’s ruling stemmed from a lawsuit filed by 16 Republican-led states challenging the Biden administration regarding the constitutionality of the program, charging that it bypassed Congress to create a pathway to citizenship for partisan purposes.
The judge called the claims “substantial” and ordered a 14-day pause on the program approving new applications, though experts believe the pause could be extended. Immigrant families have already filed a countersuit.
Erica Marquez, a Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) recipient and organizer with Make the Road Nevada, called the executive order creating the program “a breath of fresh air.” While the court-ordered pause was disappointing, she is encouraging people to continue to apply and to seek different pathways toward legal residency.
“I feel like the executive order could definitely be beneficial,” she said. “I feel like it’s kind of like a Lego system. You just have to have the right pieces to put them in the right place.”
Part of the problem is that any immigration policy changes being done through executive actions are much easier to block, Castro said in an interview with The Nevada Independent. As Congress has become increasingly unwilling to take up immigration bills, President Joe Biden and former President Donald Trump have come to rely on executive actions that can be quickly blocked by a court or overturned by the next administration.
Immigration is again one of the top issues for voters this election. Trump has pledged to deport millions of people not legally in the country, while his campaign has made Vice President Kamala Harris’ role in investigating border crossings a focal point of his attacks by labeling her as the administration’s “border czar” and blaming her for a surge in border crossings.
Harris, who has pushed to pass a U.S. Senate bill that would stop processing asylum claims if migrant encounters reached a certain threshold, said she’ll take a “pragmatic” approach on immigration if elected.
A recent poll from the media firm Entravision shows 44 percent of Nevada Latinos (a plurality) believe that Trump would “bring safety to our border and solve the immigration crisis.”
Yet despite recent setbacks, Marquez remains hopeful that positive immigration reform will come for undocumented people.
“We’re not gonna quit. We’re not gonna go anywhere. Nothing is going to change anytime soon for us to go ahead and quit and put our hands down,” she said.
Nevada
Nevada Athletics embarking on “Coaches Caravan” across the region
RENO, Nev. (KOLO) – The Wolf Pack are headed on a road trip! A whole group of Nevada coaches, student athletes and staff are hitting the road across Northern Nevada to spread the brand of Wolf Pack athletics.
The trip will span over three days and over a thousand miles across the region, giving them the chance to connect with fans, alumni, and all the communities across Northern Nevada.
“It’s a really fun opportunity to get out in a lot of communities in Northern Nevada that often times come to Reno to support the Wolf Pack,” said head football coach Jeff Choate. “It’s an opportunity for us to get our brand out locally and just interact with some great people.”
The Coaches Caravan kicked off their journey Monday morning in Carson City, gathering at the Nevada State Capitol, greeted by a group of Wolf Pack faithful who were beyond excited to have the opportunity for interaction.
“So much about what college athletics is are bringing communities together. There’s nothing that brings a community together like sports,” said athletic director Stephanie Rempe. “It lets them get to know our coaches and athletes and the things that they’re trying to do to represent the university and the state of Nevada. Getting to know them and meet them makes you care that much more and makes them want to come support and cheer on the Pack!”
The Coaches Caravan continues through Northern Nevada until their final stop on Wednesday afternoon, meeting with thirteen communities around the region in total.
Copyright 2026 KOLO. All rights reserved.
Nevada
Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful
The Las Vegas Raiders have orchestrated many groundbreaking moves this offseason, but none as important as the impact they made at a fundraising event.
Over the weekend, the Raiders hosted the Silver & Black Gala, raising $2.5 million for mental health in Nevada. Sunday marked the third time the organization had hosted the event, which has produced a tremendous turnout.
Several individuals spoke during the event, including Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis and president Sandra Douglass Morgan, who each highlighted the importance of acknowledging mental health.
Davis’ Thoughts
- “We’re here to raise money for mental health, which is one of the most important things we can all deal with,” Davis said. “Every one of us is impacted by mental health and our families, friends, or anywhere else, we are all directly affected. That’s why it’s so critical to raise money for our community. We’re grateful for you all, and appreciate you being here.”
Morgan’s Thoughts
“Mental health remains one of the most urgent issues across Nevada,” Morgan said. “Through the Silver & Black Gala, the Raiders Foundation is helping expand access to trusted, community-based resources that meet people where they are. This year’s recipients reflect the depth and complexity of that work, supporting our community in schools, clubhouses, homes, shelters, and family systems statewide.”
The Raiders also honored former player Carl Nassib and NFL broadcaster Jay Glazer on Sunday night as the winners of the Commitment to Excellence award. Here is what each of them had to say.
Glazer’s Thoughts
- “First, this is incredible what the Raiders are doing,” Glazer said. “God blessed me with the ability to communicate, so I’m going to use that to try and help other people. When we’re willing to share our scars, we turn them into strength—into something that connects us as teammates with nothing to hide. That’s what builds a true team, a championship team. I’m proud to stand with you and be part of this team tonight.”
Nassib’s Thoughts
- “It is truly a privilege to be up here,” Nassib said. “We’re creating space for people to be vulnerable—and that work is truly lifesaving. It’s not about being perfect, it’s about showing up and reminding people they’re not alone.”
Overall Thoughts
This has been a tremendous event over the last few years, and the Raiders’ organization has done a great job of raising awareness for mental health. This will be an event that the team will continue to host in the future.
Follow
Nevada
Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video
The final casino resort in Primm, Nevada, will close this summer after years of declining tourism, ending gaming operations in the once-busy border town and putting hundreds of employees out of work.
Primm Valley Casino Resorts is shutting down its remaining hotel and casino operations in July as experts point to increased competition, changing travel habits and post-pandemic losses behind the decline.
-
Austin, TX42 seconds agoDamage reported after severe storms move across Central Texas
-
Alabama7 minutes agoAlabama Primary Election Results: County-By-County Breakdown Across Central Alabama
-
Alaska13 minutes agoAlaska Airlines unveils modernized North Main Terminal at Seattle-Tacoma International Airport | Passenger Terminal Today
-
Arizona19 minutes agoSee work of award-winning Arizona Republic photographer Rob Schumacher
-
Arkansas25 minutes agoArkansas State Police investigating double shooting at sawmill in Clay County
-
California31 minutes agoCalifornia business owners ‘working for peanuts’ as costs, record gas prices and regulations devour profits
-
Colorado37 minutes agoMonarch Boys Repeat At Colorado 4A State Championships
-
Connecticut43 minutes ago8 Towns In Connecticut that Are Ideal For Seniors