Connect with us

Colorado

Ex-Colorado player rips Deion Sanders' approach to roster overhaul

Published

on

Ex-Colorado player rips Deion Sanders' approach to roster overhaul


Former Colorado Buffaloes safety Xavier Smith shared some insight on his departure from the program as Deion Sanders came into Boulder and took over as head coach.

Smith took issue with the way Sanders dealt with the players who were around after Karl Dorrell was fired and Mike Sanders wasn’t retained. Sanders came over from Jackson State in a high-profile move that changed the attention around the football program.

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM

University of Colorado Coach Deion Sanders talks with people on the field before  a UFL game between the Birmingham Stallions and the Arlington Renegades on March 30, 2024 at Choctaw Stadium in Arlington, TX. (Chris Leduc/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

Advertisement

But Smith said the way Sanders handled things could’ve been better.

“He was destroying guys’ confidence and belief in themselves,” Smith told The Athletic in a story published Monday. “The way he did it, it could’ve been done with a little more compassion.”

Smith, who entered the 2022 season trying to get healthy from a broken leg he suffered in his senior season and then a hamstring injury during the season, told the outlet he was optimistic going into a meeting with Sanders, thinking that Coach Prime would work with the younger players. He was only a redshirt freshman at the time.

He said he was brought into the office with safety Oakie Salave’a and heard from defensive coordinator Charles Kelly and Sanders.

COLORADO LOSES TOP RUNNING BACK IN TRANSFER PORTAL IN BLOW TO DEION SANDERS-LED TEAM

Advertisement

Colorado head coach Deion Sanders speaks with Colorado quarterback Shedeur Sanders (2) between plays during the home opener game between the Colorado Buffaloes and the the Nebraska Cornhuskers on Saturday, September 9, 2023 at Folsom Field in Boulder, CO.  (Nick Tre. Smith/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

He told The Athletic that Sanders told him he should “probably hit the portal” and didn’t want him to “waste a year thinking I could earn a spot.”

“I was actually getting mad, like tears coming to my eyes. Because, bro, you never even tried to get to know me,” Smith added.

Smith was eventually able to transfer to UTEP.

Sanders was pretty blunt when he took the program over, especially after the team’s first spring game.

Advertisement

“You all know that we’re going to move on from some of the team members, and we’re going to reload and get some kids that we really identify with,” Sanders said after the spring game, according to The Athletic. “So, this process is going to be quick, it’s going to be fast, but we’re going to get it done.”

He also preached “hope” after last year’s National Signing Day.

Colorado head coach Deion Sanders watches the run of play during the home opener game between the Colorado Buffaloes and the the Nebraska Cornhuskers on Saturday, September 9, 2023 at Folsom Field in Boulder, CO.  (Nick Tre. Smith/Icon Sportswire via Getty Images)

“We’re not recruiting just no ordinary Tom, Dick and Harry,” Sanders said on National Signing Day. “We recruited some guys that can light up the scoreboard and prevent touchdowns from occurring. We’re coming. We’re serious about that.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

“Hope is in the house. Hope is in the air. Hope is in the city. Hope is in the community.”

Fox News’ Joe Morgan contributed to this report.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.





Source link

Colorado

Denver flights grounded, hundreds delayed as storms hit Colorado’s Eastern Plains

Published

on

Denver flights grounded, hundreds delayed as storms hit Colorado’s Eastern Plains


All flights at Denver International Airport are grounded because of high winds, causing nearly 700 flight delays Thursday as thunderstorms and hail hit Colorado’s Eastern Plains.

Federal Aviation Administration officials ordered the DIA ground stop at 5 p.m. and extended it twice because of ongoing high winds, according to the alert. The ground stop is now set to expire at 8 p.m.

Wind gusts at the airport hit 45 mph at 5:18 p.m. and blowing dust is limiting visibility, according to the National Weather Service., and was still gusting at 29 mph just before 7 p.m.



Source link

Continue Reading

Colorado

Colorado residents who switch to heat pumps can expect more rebates this summer

Published

on

Colorado residents who switch to heat pumps can expect more rebates this summer


The group behind an upcoming rebate program is hoping to get more Coloradans to make the switch to heat pumps for their heating and cooling needs. 

Many Coloradans are switching to heat pumps for the rebates and energy savings.

CBS

Advertisement


Power Ahead Colorado, administered by the Denver Regional Council of Governments, says applications for the new rebates will open this summer. However, people are already taking advantage of incentives. 

“I am so ready for the summer,” said Denver homeowner Eric Gehringer, who came home from work as his heat pump was being installed, and he’s pretty excited about it.

“We’re going to be in the house, just chillin’, like, ‘Oh man, is it warm outside? I don’t even know,’” he joked.

Gehringer is upgrading from a swamp cooler and chose a heat pump over a traditional heating and cooling system. 

“With the rebates that are happening right now, it just made financial sense as well,” he said.

Advertisement

Several rebates can be stacked for maximum savings, including a state rebate from Xcel Energy.

“The average size of those rebates has been anywhere from $6,000 to $12,000, depending on the size of the heat pump,” said Trevor Seeyle, the president and CEO of Independent Power, a Boulder-based company that installs heat pumps. 

heat-pump-installation-6pkg-transfer-frame-381.jpg

CBS


Power Ahead Colorado will also be launching a $1,500 rebate program this summer.

Advertisement

“Our typical heat pump installation is probably anywhere from $15,000 to $25,000, and on average, those stacked heat pump rebates are probably about $10,000, and so it’s a significant portion of the installation cost,” Seeyle added.

Heat pumps are also a more energy-efficient option than traditional heating and cooling, and more Coloradans are making the switch. 

Independent Power says they install around seven to eight per week.

Heat pumps work by pulling heat from the outside air when it’s cold, and cold from the air when it’s hot outside. The unit then disperses it within the home.

And although heat pump technology has improved to handle sub-zero temperatures in the colder months, there’s also an option to install a furnace along with it.

Advertisement

“That’s the backup that will typically only be running when it’s very, very cold outside,” Seeyle explained.

Heat pumps could be the long-term future of heating and cooling, with people like Gehringer eager to go all in. 

heat-pump-installation-6pkg-transfer-frame-3064.jpg

One Denver resident is excited to get heat pumps installed.

CBS


“And seeing that the swamp cooler is gone is fabulous,” Gehringer added.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Colorado

Colorado Supreme Court orders children’s hospital to resume gender-affirming care for minors

Published

on

Colorado Supreme Court orders children’s hospital to resume gender-affirming care for minors


DENVER (AP) — The Colorado Supreme Court has ordered Colorado’s largest provider of gender-affirming care for young people to resume medical treatments like puberty blockers and hormone therapy despite threats that providing the care could lead to losing federal funding.

Children’s Hospital Colorado suspended medical treatments for transgender patients under 18 in January after it said the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services opened an investigation into its treatments following a series of clashes between President Donald Trump’s administration and advocates over transgender health care for children.

WATCH: Trump administration seeks to cut off access to transgender health care for U.S. children

The hospital said in a statement that it is reviewing Monday’s court ruling and considering its next steps. It previously said it would continue to provide mental health treatment for minors and also medical treatment for patients aged 18 to 21.

Advertisement

Four transgender girls, ranging from age 10 to 17, sued the hospital, through their parents, alleging that the hospital was violating the state’s antidiscrimination law by refusing to provide them treatment both because of their gender identity and their disability, gender dysphoria. Gender dysphoria is the distress caused when someone’s gender expression doesn’t match their sex assigned at birth.

The girls said they feared not being able to get medication and monitoring to prevent them from undergoing puberty and developing male traits. And they cited mental health fallout, including depression and suicidal ideation.

The court sided with the girls in a 5-2 ruling, finding that the decision to shutter the services for minors violated a state antidiscrimination law. In the majority opinion, Justice William Wood III said, “We conclude that the actual immediate and irreparable harm to petitioners outweighs the speculative harm CHC may face if the federal government further acts against it.”

In a dissent, Justice Brian Boatright said the hospital didn’t make its decision to stop the case because of the gender identity of the patients. Rather, he wrote, “It was a decision driven by the direct threat to the viability of the entire hospital.”

A Kansas judge also sided with transgender minors in a ruling last week.

Advertisement

The Colorado hospital’s TRUE Center, which focuses on gender-affirming care, is one of the largest programs in the country and the only comprehensive care center in the Rocky Mountain region, according to the lawsuit.

Children’s Hospital Colorado said the HHS opened the investigation of the hospital after Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr. issued a declaration that called treatments like puberty blockers, hormone therapy and surgeries unsafe and ineffective for children and adolescents experiencing gender dysphoria, or the distress when someone’s gender expression doesn’t match their sex assigned at birth.

An Oregon-based federal judge ruled in March for Colorado and 20 other states that Kennedy’s declaration went too far.

Mulvihill reported from Haddonfield, New Jersey.

A free press is a cornerstone of a healthy democracy.

Advertisement

Support trusted journalism and civil dialogue.




Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending