Connect with us

Sports

Walker Buehler struggles, division lead narrows as Dodgers lose to Brewers

Published

on

Walker Buehler struggles, division lead narrows as Dodgers lose to Brewers

The San Diego Padres and Arizona Diamondbacks both won games before the Dodgers took the field against the Milwaukee Brewers on Wednesday night, yet another reminder that, for a team that has won 10 of the last 11 National League West titles, objects in the rearview mirror are closer than they appear.

The Dodgers failed to hold serve in an ugly 5-4 loss to the Brewers in American Family Field, and their division lead fell to 2½ games over the scorching-hot Padres, who have won 19 of 22 games, and Diamondbacks, who have won 18 of 21 games.

Veteran right-hander Walker Buehler returned from a right-hip injury and gave the Dodgers little hope that he will provide much of a rotation boost down the stretch, laboring through a 3⅓-inning, 87-pitch start in which he gave up four runs (one earned) and three hits, struck out three and walked four.

The Dodgers also committed three errors, which led to four unearned runs, and their win streak was snapped at five.

Advertisement

“It wasn’t a clean game, by any means,” manager Dave Roberts said. “Those [defensive plays] are pretty uncharacteristic, and they ended up hurting us.”

Despite Buehler’s shoddy start and the shaky defense, the Dodgers tied the score 4-4 in the seventh. Trailing 4-3, Mookie Betts hit a one-out single to left-center field off left-hander Jared Koenig and took third on Freddie Freeman’s single to right.

Teoscar Hernández struck out, and Roberts sent Miguel Rojas to bat for Gavin Lux, the team’s hottest hitter for the last month. Rojas lined a single to right-center to tie the score.

But Milwaukee retook the lead in the bottom of the seventh, an inning that began with Dodgers reliever Brent Honeywell hitting No. 9 batter Joey Ortiz with a pitch.

Ortiz took second on Brice Turang’s sacrifice bunt and scored for a 5-4 lead when Jackson Chourio’s bloop single to right field nicked off the glove of Betts for an error.

Advertisement

“I was coming in, I know that guy is fast,” said Betts, who returned to right field this week after playing shortstop the first 2½ months of the season. “I was trying to make a play and just missed it.”

There were plenty of misfires for Buehler, whose early May return from a second Tommy John surgery was derailed by right-hip inflammation that sidelined him for almost two months.

He spent several weeks at a private training facility in Florida in an effort to “get those feels back,” but didn’t look any better Wednesday night than he did in his start to the season, when he went 1-4 with a 5.84 ERA in eight starts in which he gave up 10 homers in 37 innings.

“A lot of near misses, a lot of bad pitches in bad spots,” Buehler said. “It’s just frustrating. I’m not getting ahead the way I’m accustomed to, and then at certain times, I’m going from 0-and-2 to 3-and-2. Stuff to clean up. Stuff to figure out.”

Buehler was staked to a 3-0 lead in the first when the Dodgers loaded the bases with no outs and scored on Teoscar Hernández’s walk, Kiké Hernández’s sacrifice fly and Kevin Kiermaier’s hustle RBI double.

Advertisement

Buehler walked three batters to open the bottom of the first but escaped with the help of Kiermaier, the four-time Gold Glove Award winner who caught William Contreras’ fly ball and fired a 99-mph, one-hop throw to catcher Austin Barnes, who made the catch and tag on Turang for a double play.

“I caught it with some momentum coming in, had a bunch of adrenaline, and I just wanted to make a good throw,” said Kiermaier, who was acquired from Toronto on July 29. “Bases loaded, no outs, I was glad to help Walker out there.”

Buehler struck out Willy Adames with a 91-mph cutter to end the inning, but of his 25 pitches in the opening frame, 15 were balls.

Buehler then coughed up three runs in the second, an inning that Jake Bauers opened with a home run to right field. Garrett Mitchell struck out, and Sal Frelick reached on an error by shortstop Nick Ahmed that easily could have been scored an infield single.

Ortiz grounded out to first, but Turang drove a triple over the head of Kiermaier to make it 3-2, and Chourio’s broken-bat infield single made it 3-3. By the time Tyler Black popped out to end the inning, Buehler’s pitch count had reached 60.

Advertisement

“There are too many holes in my delivery where little things can go wrong,” Buehler said. “When you’re rolling, you can make adjustments really quick. I’m not making them quick enough. There are some really big misses after misses, which is not good. In this league, you can miss once, but you miss twice in the same [area], you’re in a bad spot.”

Buehler retired the side in order on 14 pitches in the third but walked Mitchell to open the fourth. Mitchell stole second, took third on Frelick’s groundout and scored for a 4-3 lead when Ortiz’s grounder kicked off the glove of Kiké Hernández at third for an error.

Left-hander Anthony Banda replaced Buehler and gave up what appeared to be a Turang double down the left-field line, but Ortiz was deked by Ahmed into sliding into second, took a step back toward first and headed for third without re-touching the bag.

Roberts said pitcher Clayton Kershaw spotted the gaffe and alerted the manager, who came to the mound and instructed Banda to throw to second base. Ortiz was ruled out on the appeal, and Chourio grounded out to end the inning.

Of Buehler’s 87 pitches, only 46 were strikes. He used six different pitches against the Brewers but could not throw his curveball consistently for strikes.

Advertisement

“There were some good things, but from the eye test, he was out of sync,” Roberts said. “His throw was inconsistent, the delivery was inconsistent, he didn’t get Strike 1 very often. He was working behind hitters, and then you’re trying to find your way back into counts. It’s hard to live like that. … You can see he’s still searching.”

Buehler said he feels “closer” to regaining his presurgery form, his elbow feels good physically, and he’s been encouraged by some bullpen sessions. But he knows these kinds of results aren’t going to cut it.

“At the end of the day, there’s a standard of performing here, and I’m very aware of where I’m at in that standard,” Buehler said. “Keep plugging away. Wish isn’t the right word, or hope, but hopefully keep doing the right things, and it’ll come together.”

Short hops

The Dodgers will push right-hander Tyler Glasnow’s next start to Saturday night in St. Louis and probably will call up a pitcher from triple-A Oklahoma City — likely left-hander Justin Wrobleski — for Friday night’s game against the Cardinals. … Reliever Ryan Brasier, out since late April because of a right-calf strain, has given up four hits, struck out 10 and walked none in 6⅔ innings of his first seven rehab appearances for Oklahoma City and is on track to be activated Saturday. … Right-hander Landon Knack, who threw four innings of one-run ball in Tuesday night’s win, was optioned to Oklahoma City to clear a roster spot for Buehler.

Advertisement

Sports

Pro wrestling star learns what ‘land of opportunity’ means in US as he details journey from Italy to America

Published

on

Pro wrestling star learns what ‘land of opportunity’ means in US as he details journey from Italy to America

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Cristiano Argento has been tearing up opponents in the ring for the National Wrestling Alliance (NWA) as he worked his way up the ladder to get a few shots at some gold.

But the path to get to one of the most prestigious pro wrestling companies in the U.S. was long and a path that not many wrestlers have taken.

Argento was born and raised in Osimo, Italy – a town of about 35,000 people located on the east side of the country closer to the Adriatic Sea. He told Fox News Digital he started training in a ring at a boxing gym before he got started on the independent scene in Italy. He wrestled in Germany, Sweden, France and Denmark before he came to the realization that, to become a professional wrestler, he needed to make his way to the United States.

ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

Advertisement

Cristiano Argento performs in the National Wrestling Alliance (Instagram)

He first worked his way to Canada to get trained by pro wrestling legend Lance Storm. He moved to Canada, leaving most of his friends and family behind and without a firm grasp on the English language.

“At the time, my English was horrible. I didn’t speak any English at all,” he said. “But I was with my friend, Stefano, he came with me and he translated everything for me. I probably missed 50% of the knowledge that Lance Storm was giving to us because I was unable to understand. I was only given a recap and everything I was able to see. I’m sure if I was doing it now with a proper knowledge of English, it would have been a different scenario.

“Eventually, I moved back to Italy after the training and I said, OK, now, I want to go to the U.S. So, I studied English more properly, and eventually I got my first work visa that was in Texas. I was in Houston for a short period of time. I trained with Booker T at Reality of Wrestling. I got on his show, which was my debut in the U.S. That was awesome. I eventually got a new work visa in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, where I currently live since 2017. Since then, my wrestling career, thankfully, kept growing, growing, growing and growing until now wrestling for the NWA. One of the bigger promotions in the U.S.”

Advertisement

Argento said that his family thought he was “nuts” for chasing his pro wrestling dream.

He said they were more concerned about his well-being given that he was half-way around the world without anyone he knew by his side in case something went sideways.

“My family, friends, everybody was like why do you want to move to the opposite side of the world not knowing the language, not knowing anybody, by yourself, to try to become a professional wrestler? And I was like, well, we have one life, I love, and that’s what I’m gonna do,” he told Fox News Digital. “Eventually, my family was really supportive. But when I first said, ‘Hey, mom and dad, I want to do that.’ They looked at me like, ‘Are you nuts? Are you drunk or something? What are you talking about?’ And I said, no that’s what I want to do. And they knew I loved this sport because in Italy I was traveling around Europe, spending time in Canada training, so they started to understand slowly that’s what I want to do with my life. They were proud of me.

Cristiano Argento works out in the gym. (Instagram)

“They’re still proud of me. I think more like the fact that you’re gonna try that, that it’s hard than more like you’re gonna leave us. The fact like, oh, my son is gonna go on the opposite side of the world for a six-hour time difference and we’re gonna see him maybe, when, like, I don’t know. Not often. I think it was more that. And for me too, it was really hard. It was heartbreaking not being able to see my family every day or every month. Like once a year if I’m lucky. I think that was the biggest part for them because of concern or that I was here by myself and if I have any issue or any problem, I didn’t have nobody. So they were scared. Like, you get sick, if you have a problem, anything, and they’re not being able to be here next to me. But they were really supportive since day one.”

Advertisement

Argento is living out his dream in the U.S. He suggested that the moniker of the U.S. being the “land of opportunity” wasn’t far from what is preached in movies and literature – it was the real thing.

“I was inspired by people who came to the U.S. and made it big,” Argento told Fox News Digital. “The U.S. was always like the land of opportunity. That’s how they sell it to us and this is what it is. I feel like, in myself, that was true because anything I tried to do so far I was able to reach a lot more than if I wasn’t here. I’m not yet where I’d like to be but I see like there’s so many opportunities in this country. Not just in wrestling but like in any business to reach the goal. I’m really happy of the choices I did here.

National Wrestling Alliance star Cristiano Argento poses in Times Square in New York. (Instagram)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“But my big inspirations were big-time actors who moved to the country, who didn’t know English, with no money, no support system. I had one dream, I have to go right there to make it happen and I’m gonna go and do it and I’m gonna make it happen. So those people were always the biggest inspiration even if it wasn’t in wrestling, just how they handled their passion, how they pursued their dream without being scared of anything, how far you are, how alone by yourself … You don’t know the language, you’re like, let’s go, let’s do it.”

Advertisement

Outside of the NWA, Argento has performed for the International Wrestling Cartel, Enjoy Wrestling and Exodus Pro Wrestling this year.

Continue Reading

Sports

Loyola wins Southern Section Division 1 lacrosse championship

Published

on

Loyola wins Southern Section Division 1 lacrosse championship

There’s no denying that Loyola’s lacrosse program is best in Southern California and could be that way for years to come with the number of elite young players participating.

On Saturday night, the Cubs (16-3) won their latest Southern Section Division 1 championship with a 14-6 win over Santa Margarita. The Cubs have won three title since the sport was adopted as a championship event in the Southern Section. Defense has been Loyola’s strength all season.

Senior defenders Chase Hellie and Everett Rolph and junior goalkeeper William Russo led one of the best defenses in program history under coach Jimmy Borell.

Senior Cash Ginsberg finished with five goals and junior North Carolina commit Tripp King finished with two goals.

In girls Division 1, Mira Costa upset top-seeded Santa Margarita 12-6.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Sports

Napoleon Solo wins 151st Preakness Stakes

Published

on

Napoleon Solo wins 151st Preakness Stakes

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Napoleon Solo took home the 2026 Preakness Stakes on Saturday, the 151st running of the race.

The favorite in Taj Mahal, the 1 horse, was in the lead from the start until the final turn until Napoleon Solo made his move on the outside and took the lead at the top of the stretch. As Taj Mahal fell off, Iron Honor, the 9 horse, snuck up, but the effort ultimately was not enough. 

Napoleon Solo opened at 8-1 and closed at 7-1. Iron Honor, at 8-1, finished second, with Chip Honcho fishing third after closing at 11-1. Ocelli, one of just three horses to run both the Kentucky Derby two weeks ago and Saturday’s Preakness, finished fourth at 8-1.

 

Advertisement

A Preakness branded starting gate is seen on track prior to the 151st Preakness Stakes at Laurel Park on May 16, 2026 in Laurel, Maryland. For the first and only time, Laurel Park is hosting the Preakness Stakes which is the second race of the Triple Crown jewel due to the traditional home of the race of the Pimlico Race Course undergoing complete renovations.  (Patrick Smith/Getty Images)

A $1 exacta paid out $53.60, while a $1 trifecta brought in $597.10. But someone out there is very lucky, as a $1 superhighfive – picking the top-five finishers in order – paid out $12,015.70.

Even moreso, a 20-cent Pick 6 – picking the winners of the six consecutive races, with the final being the Preakness, paid out $33,842.34.

The race was run without the Kentucky Derby winner for the second year in a row. After Sovereignty did not run the Preakness last year – and wound up winning the Belmont Stakes – the training team of Golden Tempo opted to skip the Maryland race.

From 1960 to 2018, only three Derby winners did not run in the Preakness. Three Derby winners have skipped the Preakness in the last five years, and for the sixth time in eight years, for various reasons, the Triple Crown had already been impossible to accomplish by the time the Preakness even rolled around.

Advertisement

“I understand that fans of the sport or fans of the Triple Crown are disappointed, but the horse is not a machine,” Golden Tempo’s trainer, Cherie DeVaux, told Fox News Digital earlier this week.

Paco Lopez, right, atop Napoleon Solo, edges out Iron Honor, ridden by Flavien Prat, to win the 151st running of the Preakness Stakes horse race, Friday, May 15, 2026, at Laurel Park in Laurel, Maryland. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

CHERIE DEVAUX REFLECTS ON MAKING KENTUCKY DERBY HISTORY AS FIRST FEMALE TRAINER TO WIN THE RACE

Only three horses from two weeks ago – Ocelli, Robusta, and Incredibolt, were back at the Preakness. Corona de Oro, the 11 horse on Saturday, was scratched well ahead of the Derby, and Great White, who reared up and fell on his back after becoming startled shortly before entering the Derby gate, took the 13 post on Saturday.

The Preakness went off roughly 24 hours after a horse died following the completion of his very first race.

Advertisement

Hit Zero, trained by Brittany Russell, came into the race as the favorite. However, he finished last in the race, which was won by another one of Russell’s horses, Bold Fact — and upon crossing the finish line, Hit Zero reportedly began coughing, dropped to his knees, then put his head down and died.

The Preakness took place at Laurel Park as Pimlico undergoes renovations. It was the first time ever that Pimlico did not host the race, moving roughly 20 miles south.

Paco Lopez, atop Napoleon Solo, wins the 151st running of the Preakness Stakes horse race, Friday, May 15, 2026, at Laurel Park in Laurel, Maryland. (AP Photo/Stephanie Scarbrough)

The Belmont Stakes, the final Triple Crown race, will take place on June 6. The race will return to Saratoga for a third year in a row as Belmont Park continues to be renovated.

Advertisement

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending