Connect with us

Southeast

FBI identifies convicted serial rapist as suspect in cold-case national park double murder

Published

on

FBI identifies convicted serial rapist as suspect in cold-case national park double murder

A deceased convicted serial rapist from Ohio has been identified as the suspect responsible for the murders of two women in Shenandoah National Park nearly 30 years ago, a case that has confounded investigators. 

DNA evidence that was recently retested linked Walter Leo Jackson Sr., of Cleveland, Ohio, to the killings of 24-year-old Julianne “Julie” Williams and 26-year-old Laura “Lollie” Winans, the FBI said Thursday. 

“After 28 years, we are now able to say who committed the brutal murders of Lollie Winans and Julie Williams in Shenandoah National Park,” U.S. Attorney Christopher Kavanaugh said. 

‘I-70 STRANGLER’ REMAINS MYSTERIOUS MIDWEST BOOGEYMAN, BUT PRIVATE INVESTIGATOR HAS THEORY

Julie Williams and Lollie Winans pictured before they were killed while camping in Shenandoah National Park 28 years ago. (FBI)

Advertisement

Both women, who were a couple, were killed on May 24, 1996, at their Virginia campsite near the Skyland Resort. Family members called the National Park Service when the women didn’t return home. 

The pair began hiking in Shenandoah National Park on May 19. They were due to return to their summer jobs in Vermont on May 28. But no one had heard from them, according to media reports at the time. 

Their bodies were found on June 1, 1996, during a search by park rangers. They had been bound, and their throats had been slashed.

“Their murder sparked shock and fear throughout the community and nation,” said FBI Special Agent in Charge Stanley Meador. “We now know who is responsible for this heinous crime.”

Jackson died in a prison in Cuyahoga County, Ohio in March 2018. His criminal history includes kidnapping, rapes and assaults, the FBI said. He was forensically linked to two rapes that occurred in Cuyahoga County, Ohio, in June and July 1996, just weeks after Winans and Williams were killed, Kavanaugh said.

Advertisement

SUSPECTED LONG ISLAND SERIAL KILLER’S NOTES OUTLINED METICULOUS MURDER PLOT: COURT DOCS

An image is displayed during a news conference concerning the 1996 murders of Laura “Lollie” Winans and Julianne “Julie” Williams at a campsite in Shenandoah National Park, Thursday Jun. 20, 2024, in Richmond, Virginia. (AP Photo/Steve Helber) (FBI)

Jackson was a painter by trade and was an “avid” hiker who was known to visit Shenandoah National Park.

In 2004, another man, Darrell D. Rice, was indicted for the killings but the charges were dropped just before his trial after his DNA failed to link him to the crime. The Virginia FBI took a new look at the case in 2021, Meador said. 

With funding from the Department of Justice’s sexual-assault-kit initiative, investigators combed through everything in the case file, re-examining evidence, photos and interviews. Considering advancements in DNA technology, the team spent “countless hours” determining what pieces of evidence could be retested, Meador said.

Advertisement

A lab pulled DNA from the evidence and submitted the result to the federal DNA index system, the FBI said. They found a positive match to Jackson, whose DNA was on file in Cuyahoga County. Additionally, investigators compared evidence from the murders directly to a buccal swab containing Jackson’s DNA.

GILGO BEACH SERIAL KILLER SUSPECT ALLEGEDLY HAS MORE VICTIMS, HUNTING GROUNDS THAN POLICE FIRST IMAGINED

Stanley Meador, Special Agent in Charge of the FBI Richmond Field Office, gestures during a news conference concerning the 1996 murders of Laura “Lollie” Winans and Julianne “Julie” Williams at a campsite in the Shenandoah national park, Thursday, June 20, 2024, in Richmond, Virginia. (AP Photo/Steve Helber) (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

“Those results confirmed we had the right man and finally could tell the victim’s families we know who is responsible for this heinous crime,” Meador said. 

“There was a one-out-of-2.6-trillion chance that it originated from someone other than Walter Leo Jackson,” Kavanaugh said. “I’ve prosecuted many homicides and cold cases, and I have never witnessed statistics that high.”

Advertisement

Federal investigators said Jackson was likely driving a 1984 Chestnut Brown AMC Eagle 30 at the time of the murders, though he was known to use temporary tags, alter license plates and frequently change vehicles.

An image is displayed during a news conference concerning the 1996 murders of Laura “Lollie” Winans and Julianne “Julie” Williams at a campsite in Shenandoah National Park, Thursday Jun. 20, 2024, in Richmond, Virginia. (AP Photo/Steve Helber) (AP Photo/Steve Helber)

The FBI is working to determine whether Jackson was responsible for other unsolved crimes. 

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Southeast

Florida man allegedly points gun at multiple drivers during road rage confrontation

Published

on

Florida man allegedly points gun at multiple drivers during road rage confrontation

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A Florida man faces seven felony charges after being arrested last weekend following a road rage incident, according to authorities.

Blackie Alvarez, 33, of Bonifay, Florida, was arrested after allegedly pointing a handgun at another driver during a road rage confrontation, according to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office.

At around 1 p.m. on Feb. 8, police responded to a report of a man pointing a firearm at drivers while traveling north on U.S. 331 in DeFuniak Springs.

‘PROTECTOR’ FATHER OF NINE SLAIN AFTER MINOR CRASH SPIRALS INTO DEADLY ROAD RAGE CLASH

Advertisement

Blackie Alvarez, 33, was arrested after allegedly pointing a handgun at another driver during a road rage incident in Florida, authorities said. (Walton County Sheriff’s Office)

Police located the white Ford Explorer, and the driver — later identified as Alvarez — exited the vehicle and removed a black handgun from his waistband, which he placed on top of the vehicle.

Two metal knuckles were also found in Alvarez’s pockets, police said.

Investigators said Alvarez began speeding and honking at the victims, who told deputies that Alvarez sped around them before coming to a complete stop in front of their vehicle, where he allegedly pulled out a firearm and pointed it at them.

Alvarez refused to speak with investigators, police said.

Advertisement

EXCLUSIVE: FBI CAPTURES LONGTIME FUGITIVE IN HONDURAS IN CONNECTION WITH 2000 KILLING OF PHILADELPHIA GIRL

Blackie Alvarez faces multiple felony charges after authorities say he pointed a handgun at another driver during a road rage confrontation. (Walton County Sheriff’s Office)

Alvarez was charged with two felony counts of false imprisonment, two felony counts of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, one felony count of possession of a firearm by a convicted felon, two counts of unlawful carry of a concealed weapon and driving without a license.

Alvarez also had an outstanding warrant in Bay County, Florida, for failure to pay child support.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

A Florida man was charged with multiple felony weapons offenses following an alleged road rage incident on Feb. 8, according to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office. (Walton County Sheriff’s Office)

He was taken into custody and held on a $235,000 bond, police said.

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Southeast

6 years after political comeback, Biden faces cold shoulder from fellow Democrats

Published

on

6 years after political comeback, Biden faces cold shoulder from fellow Democrats

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Former President Joe Biden will be feted by South Carolina Democrats later this month, to mark the sixth anniversary of his Palmetto State primary landslide, a comeback victory that rocketed Biden to the 2020 Democratic presidential nomination and later the White House.

But with many Democrats still smarting from their party’s major 2024 election setbacks, fueled in part by a very unpopular Biden presidency and the then-president’s dropping his re-election bid amid serious questions about his physical and mental abilities following a disastrous debate with now-President Donald Trump, the South Carolina celebration appears to be an outlier.

As they seek office in gubernatorial and congressional races in this year’s elections, nine candidates who served in the Biden administration appear to be keeping their distance from the former president, according to a new report from Axios.

POTENTIAL 2028 CONTENDER SHAPIRO KNOCKS BIDEN’S RECORD OF ACCOMPLISHMENT

Advertisement

First lady Jill Biden and then-President Joe Biden await the arrival of then-President-elect Donald Trump at the White House on Jan. 20, 2025, in Washington, D.C. (Anna Moneymaker/Getty Images)

Biden ended his presidency with approval and favorable ratings well underwater, and the 13 months since he left office have not apparently healed the damage done to his standing among those in his own party.

“Biden remains a liability,” a veteran Democratic strategist who asked to remain anonymous to speak more freely, told Fox News Digital. “Being associated with the Biden administration is doing some candidates no favors as they run this year.”

HOUSE DEMOCRATS ON OFFENSE: EXPAND THE 2026 MAP

That’s a switch from the 2018 elections, the previous midterm cycle when Trump was in office and the Democrats were out of power, when former President Barack Obama as well as then-former Vice President Biden were in demand on the campaign trail.

Advertisement

Then-former Vice President Joe Biden is flanked by his wife Jill and Rep. Jim Clyburn of South Carolina, as Biden gives his victory speech following a landslide victory in the South Carolina Democratic presidential primary on Feb. 29, 2020. (Paul Steinhauser/Fox News )

Among those not highlighting Biden this cycle is Deb Haaland, a former House member from New Mexico who served as Department of the Interior secretary in the Biden administration and is now running for governor in the blue-leaning state. The former president isn’t mentioned on Haaland’s campaign website.

Another example is Xavier Becerra, who served as secretary of Health and Human Services under Biden and is now running for California governor. The former president isn’t mentioned in Becerra’s campaign launch video.

IT’S EARLY IN 2026, BUT THE 2028 WHITE HOUSE RACE IS WELL UNDERWAY

But some Biden alumni running in solidly blue areas are mentioning their service during his administration. That includes Democratic congressional candidate Sanjyot Dunung, who is seeking office in Illinois 8th District. She mentions in her launch video that she served on Biden’s foreign policy working group.

Advertisement

Former Vice President Kamala Harris is considered a potential contender for the 2028 Democratic presidential nomination. (Mario Tama/Getty Images)

It’s still too early to tell if the former president could end up being a drag on potential 2028 presidential contenders that served in his administration. Both former Vice President Kamala Harris and Biden Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg are seen as possible White House contenders.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

For Democrats hoping Biden stays out of the limelight, the former president has mostly obliged. Biden has only made a handful of high-profile public appearances and sat for just a couple of major interviews since the end of his presidency.

Fox News reached out to Biden’s post-presidency team for comment, but didn’t receive a response at the time this story was published.

Advertisement

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading

Southeast

Florida man suspected of killing 6 in shooting spree at 2 residences identified

Published

on

Florida man suspected of killing 6 in shooting spree at 2 residences identified

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

A man in Florida who allegedly gunned down six people in a shooting spree at two properties in Sarasota and Fort Lauderdale before killing himself has been identified, authorities said. 

The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office said the suspect, Russell Kot, 51, had “been in a previous romantic relationship with one of the victims in Fort Lauderdale,” and that victim was linked to the victims in Sarasota. 

Deputies said they first responded to a 911 call advising that an adult male had been shot early Tuesday afternoon at a home in the Amberlea neighborhood in Sarasota. Neighbors were “actively performing” CPR on that victim in the front yard when deputies arrived, and he was transferred to the Sarasota County Fire Department. That male was later pronounced dead, according to the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office. 

“Fearing for the safety of the victim’s wife, deputies entered the residence where they located four additional deceased adult victims — two females and two males,” it added. 

Advertisement

SUSPECT IN FLORIDA GATED COMMUNITY MASS SHOOTING LIKELY LINKED TO EARLIER CROSS-STATE DOUBLE HOMICIDE: SHERIFF

The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office is seen responding to the scene of the shooting in Sarasota, Fla., on Tuesday, Feb. 10. (Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office)

“While attempting to identify the victims and potential suspect, detectives received information from the Fort Lauderdale Police Department (FLPD) advising they were working a double homicide and believed the Sarasota shooting to be related to the investigation they are working,” the sheriff’s office said. “FLPD provided suspect vehicle information and advised that following their homicide, the vehicle was captured on camera traveling northbound through Punta Gorda prior to the Sarasota homicide.” 

“Detectives worked with Amberlea HOA representatives and neighbors, and were able to recover video of the suspect’s vehicle entering the neighborhood at 11:01 a.m. The sound of gunfire was captured shortly after on a neighbor’s Ring camera. Approximately 37 minutes later, the male victim, who was found in the front lawn, was captured entering the neighborhood in his vehicle. The victim approached the front door where he was shot,” deputies also said. 

Kot was found dead inside the Sarasota home, according to the sheriff’s office. 

Advertisement

It identified the other victims there as Olga Greinert, 49, Florita Stolyar, 66, Anatoly Ioffe, 61 and Yaroslav Blyudoy, 39. 

FLORIDA MAN ALLEGEDLY POINTS GUN AT MULTIPLE DRIVERS DURING ROAD RAGE CONFRONTATION

Authorities say six people are dead after a shooting in a gated community in Sarasota, Fla., on Tuesday, Feb. 10, that was connected to another in Fort Lauderdale earlier the same day. (FOX 13 Tampa)

“Based on our preliminary investigation, it appears that the suspect died of self-inflicted wounds, and there are no known documented mental health crises nor history of violence associated with him,” the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office said. “The suspect’s motivation for targeting the Sarasota victims is unknown.” 

The victims in the Fort Lauderdale shooting, which happened in the Victoria Park neighborhood, were identified as Larisa Blyudaya, 48, and Ben Azivov, 18, according to NBC Miami. 

Advertisement

Joe Askerberg, the property manager of the home where those victims were found, told the station that they were a mother and son.

“Gutted obviously for the whole family involved,” Askerberg said to NBC Miami. “Larisa was so bubbly and never negative; she was always in good spirits.” 

The suspect in both shootings was identified as Russell Kot, 51. (FOX 13 Tampa)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The Fort Lauderdale Police Department did not immediately respond Thursday to a request for comment from Fox News Digital. 

Advertisement

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending