Connect with us

South-Carolina

Measles Outbreak in South Carolina Sparks Concern

Published

on

Measles Outbreak in South Carolina Sparks Concern


More than 130 unvaccinated students at two schools in South Carolina are being quarantined after they were exposed to measles, amid an ongoing outbreak in the state—a sign, public health experts warn, that cases could continue to rise this school year.

On Tuesday, the South Carolina Department of Public Health confirmed the 16th case of measles in the state so far this year. Last week, public health officials said in a media briefing that more than 100 unvaccinated students at Global Academy and Fairforest Elementary School were exposed to measles and would be excluded from school for 21 days, which is when the period of potential disease transmission has ended.

Of the 16 cases in the state, five are people who were exposed in school settings and have been quarantining at home over the past few days, according to South Carolina health officials.

Dr. Paul Offit, director of the Vaccine Education Center at Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia, says the fact that the students in South Carolina were exposed to measles demonstrates why people should be worried about rising cases as children return to the classroom.

Advertisement

“We’ve had a growing population of susceptible children whose parents have chosen not to vaccinate them,” Offit says. “This is the most contagious human infection, and it’s not surprising that as kids go back to school, and we enter the winter and early spring months, that you see this virus once again surging.”

The outbreak in South Carolina comes amid surging measles cases across the country. This summer, measles cases in the U.S. reached a 33-year record high, causing public health experts to warn that other diseases could experience a similar resurgence. Minnesota is also in the midst of an outbreak; as of last week, there are 20 confirmed or probable cases in the state so far this year.

Public health officials have stressed that the best way to protect against measles is to get vaccinated with the measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine, which is typically administered in childhood in two doses. Experts have said that a successful vaccination program was a large part of the reason that measles was declared eliminated from the country more than two decades ago. But vaccination rates have plummeted in recent years, and measles cases have soared.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), when more than 95% of people in a community are vaccinated against measles, mumps, and rubella, “most people are protected through community immunity.” But the CDC’s data show that only 92.7% of kindergarteners were vaccinated during the 2023-2024 school year. That number has dropped to about 90% in some parts of South Carolina, according to state public health officials.

Read More: Do You Need a Measles Vaccine Booster?

Advertisement

As of last week, the CDC has confirmed 1,563 cases of measles so far this year. Many of those cases are from an outbreak in Texas that began in late January, which sickened more than 700 people and killed two unvaccinated children in Texas and an unvaccinated adult in New Mexico. 

In August, Texas health officials declared that the outbreak was over, but they cautioned that the threat posed by the disease was not. At the time, Offit said that while the Texas outbreak had subsided, he feared that case numbers would surge again in a matter of months. 

Offit also expresses concern that the national case numbers confirmed by the CDC are an undercount. He criticizes Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a vaccine skeptic who has made a number of changes to the country’s immunization policy, for undermining health agencies’ ability to track and monitor the disease.

“Not only do I think this is getting worse, I think we’re not going to know about it because the surveillance capacity has been so diminished by our Secretary of Health and Human Services,” Offit says.



Source link

Advertisement

South-Carolina

At least 19 injured in suspected stampede at South Carolina’s Atlantic Beach: officials

Published

on

At least 19 injured in suspected stampede at South Carolina’s Atlantic Beach: officials


At least 19 people were injured when a stampede broke out at a South Carolina beach early Sunday morning, according to officials.

Horry County Fire Rescue officials said a “reported stampede incident” took place just after 1 a.m. near the stage area in Atlantic Beach in South Carolina, 13 miles north of Myrtle Beach.

Nineteen people were evaluated for injuries, which were deemed non-life-threatening. Three others were transported to local hospitals.

A Horry County Fire Rescue Ambulance arrives at the scene of a reported stampede in Atlantic Beach, South Carolina, on May 24, 2026. Horry County Fire Rescue/Facebook

Officials haven’t ruled out the possibility of additional victims who weren’t checked by first responders.

Advertisement

A reason behind the suspected stampede was not revealed.

Atlantic Beach is currently hosting the annual Atlantic Beach Memorial Day Black Pearl Cultural Heritage and Bike Festival with live music, meet-and-greets, parties and entertainment running between Friday and Monday.

It was not revealed if the stampede victims were associated with the bike fest.

The annual motorcycle rally attracts hundreds of thousands of revelers to the area each year, according to the town’s website.

“Black Bike Week is recently reported to draw crowds in excess of 400,000 people to the area though it is hard to distinguish them from the crowd of spring breakers who have been in Myrtle Beach during the same time.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

South-Carolina

Three from South Carolina softball announce transfers

Published

on

Three from South Carolina softball announce transfers


South Carolina softball’s season came to an end last weekend when the Gamecocks fell to UCLA twice in the Los Angeles Regional, and the push towards 2027 has already begun.

Ashley Chastain Woodard and her staff were holding exit meetings this week, and as of Saturday afternoon, three players have announced their intentions to enter the transfer portal.

Junior pitcher Nealy Lamb, freshman pitcher KG Favors, and freshman outfielder Dakota Potter all announced on X/Twitter this week that they’d be entering the transfer portal.

[Your GamecockCentral membership starts at just $1 for 3 months]

Advertisement

A former standout and Big South Player of the Year at Charleston Southern before transferring to South Carolina, Lamb has spent the last two seasons in the Garnet and Black.

The 5-foot-11 right-hander appeared in 63 games with the Gamecocks, pitching to a 3.26 ERA last season and a 4.37 ERA this year. Lamb was primarily used as South Carolina’s third option in the circle, behind Sam Gress and Jori Heard in 2025 and behind Heard and Emma Friedel in 2026.

Lamb has one year of eligibility remaining.

Favors and Potter were both in their first year with the program and played sparingly as true freshmen. Each has three years of eligibility remaining, with potentially four if the NCAA’s age-based eligibility reform passes.

The No. 18 overall prospect in her class according to Perfect Game, Favors made 13 appearances this season with a 4.12 ERA.

Advertisement

Potter, ranked the No. 56 overall prospect in her class by Softball America, appeared in 13 games and scored six runs, serving as a pinch runner, but did not register any at-bats.



Source link

Continue Reading

South-Carolina

Chile’s MAGA-inspired border control

Published

on

Chile’s MAGA-inspired border control


ARICA, Chile—Out on the wide open plain on Chile’s northernmost coastline, dust billows in the cool breeze which sweeps across the pampa.

In front of a row of concrete markers tracing the border with Peru, two sandy-yellow Chilean military excavators crawl along a deep trench, digging three metres down before swinging sharply to dump bucketloads of earth into a rising embankment.

A few hundred yards across the pampa from where Chilean soldiers patrol the boundary, stern-faced, the Peruvian border police sit under wind-torn blue awnings, eyeing the Chileans warily.

This barrier is newly inaugurated far-right President José Antonio Kast’s answer to the migration crisis that propelled him to power in December’s runoff election, where he won 58% of the vote. It also echoes President Trump’s pledges to build a wall along the U.S.–Mexico border, a key element of his immigration agenda.

Advertisement

During the campaign, Kast regularly threatened the 336,000 migrants living illegally in Chile, according to official estimates, with expulsion.

So far, he has deported just 40 people on a single outbound flight.

“We want to use excavators to build a sovereign Chile… which has been undermined by illegal immigration, drug trafficking, and organized crime,” he declared on a visit to this frontier just five days after assuming the presidency.

Kast, an ultra-conservative Catholic father-of-nine, has made a career on the extreme fringes of Chilean politics with his hardline views. Over the last five years, he has made illegal immigration – and the public security fears which have accompanied it – his battleflag, drawing comparisons to President Trump.

“We have made 53.6% progress, which means about six kilometres in this area,” says Cristián Sayes, President Kast’s delegate in this, Chile’s northernmost administrative region.

Advertisement

“The ultimate goal is to have constant control of the border so that we can stop illegal migration once and for all, but also confront drug trafficking, smuggling, and human trafficking,” said Sayes.

Chilean President Jose Antonio Kast walks past diggers along the northern border at the Chacalluta border crossing in Arica, Chile, March 2026.

This ditch will be 11 kilometres long. Another, higher up in the mountains, will stretch for seven kilometres, and further south on the border with Bolivia, two more ditches are being dug.

Tank traps dug during a time of heightened political tensions in the 1970s strafe the landscape either side of the highway, and a section of desert along from where the trench is being dug is still laid with anti-tank mines from the era.

In March, Kast flew up to Arica, the sleepy desert town on the border with Peru, to announce the initiation of his ‘border shield’ plan.

The plan aims to seal vulnerable stretches of the 1,200-kilometre border Chile shares with Peru and Bolivia across its three northernmost regions in the Atacama Desert.The first phase includes several short trench sections along the most exposed parts of the frontier. Surveillance equipment will follow in the next phase, while the original proposal also called for five-metre walls in some areas.

Advertisement

“In addition to ditches, fences and walls, there will be thermal and infrared cameras, sensors, radars and drones with facial recognition cameras – all operating 24 hours a day,” explained Sayes.

But the wave of illegal migration across this border may already be a thing of the past as illegal entries have been steadily declining.

“In 2024, we had around 2,460 attempts, but in 2025, there was a significant decrease to 1,746,” said Prefect Inspector José Contreras Hernández, the regional head of Chile’s investigative police force.

“The most significant increase we have seen is actually in attempts by people to leave or try to leave the national territory irregularly,” says Contreras Hernández, attributing the exodus to migration policies and the change of government.

Already in the first four months of this year, border patrols have thwarted nearly 500 attempts to leave the country illegally in Arica y Parinacota – compared to just 33 in the whole of 2024.

Advertisement

Sayes says that the border deterrents will be continuously reviewed: “This is a constant and dynamic job, we will have to keep an eye on where traffickers and contrabandists are crossing, and we will have to maintain the trench so that it doesn’t crumble or fill with sand.”

Already, two Bolivian citizens were detained on another section of the border trench for trying to fill in the ditch to make it passable.

Entering the country illegally is not a crime in Chile, and the Kast government has already sent two bills to congress which would criminalise illegal entry, as well as limit immigrants’ access to social security benefits.

Yet doubts remain over whether digging ditches along short stretches of Chile’s more than 4,800 miles of porous borders will do much to curb the flow of migrants, drugs, or contraband. And with desert winds already blowing sand back into the trenches, the question is no longer just how far this barrier will extend — but whether it will stop anyone at all.

Copyright 2026 NPR

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending