Connect with us

South-Carolina

Beachgoer bitten in rare shark attack on Hilton Head Island

Published

on

Beachgoer bitten in rare shark attack on Hilton Head Island


A beachgoer suffered a “likely shark bite” on Hilton Head Island Monday — marking a rare shark encounter on the South Carolina shore.

The woman was chomped on while swimming in the waters at the Sea Pines Resort, a sprawling hotel along the island’s south shore, News 3 reported.

She was able to escape the water on her own and was bleeding, but had the wound under control.

A female beachgoer suffered a “likely shark bite” on Hilton Head Island Monday — marking a rare shark encounter on the South Carolina shore. Karen Roach – stock.adobe.com

Fortunately, the “likely shark bite” wasn’t severe enough for her to be rushed to the hospital. Whether she went on her own after the fact is not known.

Advertisement

Lifeguards shut down the beach for 30 minutes until the waters were determined to be safe.

The incident marks the first official shark bite on the island for the year — but Shore Beach Services said “there was another possible shark bite early this year that wasn’t confirmed.”

Shark attacks on Hilton Head are rare, but not uncommon.

Last year, a 60-year-old man was standing in waist-deep water on the very same beach when a shark bit his foot, leaving him with gruesome, but not life-threatening injuries.


Fortunately, the
Fortunately, the “likely shark bite” wasn’t severe enough for her to be rushed to the hospital. Mdv Edwards – stock.adobe.com

In 2021, a lifeguard was checking water conditions when a shark bit him on the chest. He also survived the encounter.

Shark experts told The Post earlier this month that shark encounters are the “new norm” thanks to a population boom in the beast’s favorite meals.

Advertisement

The apex predators do not target humans, however, and most bites are accidental and a result of swimmers getting in the way of a feeding frenzy.



Source link

South-Carolina

Three from South Carolina softball announce transfers

Published

on

Three from South Carolina softball announce transfers


South Carolina softball’s season came to an end last weekend when the Gamecocks fell to UCLA twice in the Los Angeles Regional, and the push towards 2027 has already begun.

Ashley Chastain Woodard and her staff were holding exit meetings this week, and as of Saturday afternoon, three players have announced their intentions to enter the transfer portal.

Junior pitcher Nealy Lamb, freshman pitcher KG Favors, and freshman outfielder Dakota Potter all announced on X/Twitter this week that they’d be entering the transfer portal.

[Your GamecockCentral membership starts at just $1 for 3 months]

Advertisement

A former standout and Big South Player of the Year at Charleston Southern before transferring to South Carolina, Lamb has spent the last two seasons in the Garnet and Black.

The 5-foot-11 right-hander appeared in 63 games with the Gamecocks, pitching to a 3.26 ERA last season and a 4.37 ERA this year. Lamb was primarily used as South Carolina’s third option in the circle, behind Sam Gress and Jori Heard in 2025 and behind Heard and Emma Friedel in 2026.

Lamb has one year of eligibility remaining.

Favors and Potter were both in their first year with the program and played sparingly as true freshmen. Each has three years of eligibility remaining, with potentially four if the NCAA’s age-based eligibility reform passes.

The No. 18 overall prospect in her class according to Perfect Game, Favors made 13 appearances this season with a 4.12 ERA.

Advertisement

Potter, ranked the No. 56 overall prospect in her class by Softball America, appeared in 13 games and scored six runs, serving as a pinch runner, but did not register any at-bats.



Source link

Continue Reading

South-Carolina

Chile’s MAGA-inspired border control

Published

on

Chile’s MAGA-inspired border control


ARICA, Chile—Out on the wide open plain on Chile’s northernmost coastline, dust billows in the cool breeze which sweeps across the pampa.

In front of a row of concrete markers tracing the border with Peru, two sandy-yellow Chilean military excavators crawl along a deep trench, digging three metres down before swinging sharply to dump bucketloads of earth into a rising embankment.

A few hundred yards across the pampa from where Chilean soldiers patrol the boundary, stern-faced, the Peruvian border police sit under wind-torn blue awnings, eyeing the Chileans warily.

This barrier is newly inaugurated far-right President José Antonio Kast’s answer to the migration crisis that propelled him to power in December’s runoff election, where he won 58% of the vote. It also echoes President Trump’s pledges to build a wall along the U.S.–Mexico border, a key element of his immigration agenda.

Advertisement

During the campaign, Kast regularly threatened the 336,000 migrants living illegally in Chile, according to official estimates, with expulsion.

So far, he has deported just 40 people on a single outbound flight.

“We want to use excavators to build a sovereign Chile… which has been undermined by illegal immigration, drug trafficking, and organized crime,” he declared on a visit to this frontier just five days after assuming the presidency.

Kast, an ultra-conservative Catholic father-of-nine, has made a career on the extreme fringes of Chilean politics with his hardline views. Over the last five years, he has made illegal immigration – and the public security fears which have accompanied it – his battleflag, drawing comparisons to President Trump.

“We have made 53.6% progress, which means about six kilometres in this area,” says Cristián Sayes, President Kast’s delegate in this, Chile’s northernmost administrative region.

Advertisement

“The ultimate goal is to have constant control of the border so that we can stop illegal migration once and for all, but also confront drug trafficking, smuggling, and human trafficking,” said Sayes.

Chilean President Jose Antonio Kast walks past diggers along the northern border at the Chacalluta border crossing in Arica, Chile, March 2026.

This ditch will be 11 kilometres long. Another, higher up in the mountains, will stretch for seven kilometres, and further south on the border with Bolivia, two more ditches are being dug.

Tank traps dug during a time of heightened political tensions in the 1970s strafe the landscape either side of the highway, and a section of desert along from where the trench is being dug is still laid with anti-tank mines from the era.

In March, Kast flew up to Arica, the sleepy desert town on the border with Peru, to announce the initiation of his ‘border shield’ plan.

The plan aims to seal vulnerable stretches of the 1,200-kilometre border Chile shares with Peru and Bolivia across its three northernmost regions in the Atacama Desert.The first phase includes several short trench sections along the most exposed parts of the frontier. Surveillance equipment will follow in the next phase, while the original proposal also called for five-metre walls in some areas.

Advertisement

“In addition to ditches, fences and walls, there will be thermal and infrared cameras, sensors, radars and drones with facial recognition cameras – all operating 24 hours a day,” explained Sayes.

But the wave of illegal migration across this border may already be a thing of the past as illegal entries have been steadily declining.

“In 2024, we had around 2,460 attempts, but in 2025, there was a significant decrease to 1,746,” said Prefect Inspector José Contreras Hernández, the regional head of Chile’s investigative police force.

“The most significant increase we have seen is actually in attempts by people to leave or try to leave the national territory irregularly,” says Contreras Hernández, attributing the exodus to migration policies and the change of government.

Already in the first four months of this year, border patrols have thwarted nearly 500 attempts to leave the country illegally in Arica y Parinacota – compared to just 33 in the whole of 2024.

Advertisement

Sayes says that the border deterrents will be continuously reviewed: “This is a constant and dynamic job, we will have to keep an eye on where traffickers and contrabandists are crossing, and we will have to maintain the trench so that it doesn’t crumble or fill with sand.”

Already, two Bolivian citizens were detained on another section of the border trench for trying to fill in the ditch to make it passable.

Entering the country illegally is not a crime in Chile, and the Kast government has already sent two bills to congress which would criminalise illegal entry, as well as limit immigrants’ access to social security benefits.

Yet doubts remain over whether digging ditches along short stretches of Chile’s more than 4,800 miles of porous borders will do much to curb the flow of migrants, drugs, or contraband. And with desert winds already blowing sand back into the trenches, the question is no longer just how far this barrier will extend — but whether it will stop anyone at all.

Copyright 2026 NPR

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

South-Carolina

Federal judge dismisses criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia

Published

on

Federal judge dismisses criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia


A federal judge in Tennessee on Friday dismissed criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego García, an immigrant who was wrongfully deported to El Salvador.

Abrego Garcia was charged last year with human smuggling after being returned to the U.S. The charges stem from a 2022 traffic stop in Tennessee. He didn’t face charges then, but the Justice Department reopened an investigation into the traffic stop after a federal judge in Maryland ordered the Trump administration to facilitate his return from El Salvador.

In his ruling Friday, U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw said the actions by then-Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche “taints the investigation with a vindictive motive.”

“The reopening of the closed HSI investigation is the source of the vindictiveness,” Crenshaw said, referring to Homeland Security Investigations, which conducts federal criminal probes.

Advertisement

Crenshaw said the government would not have prosecuted Abrego Garcia if not for his successful lawsuit challenging his deportation to El Salvador.

“Blanche’s now unrebutted public statements tying the reopened investigation to Abrego’s successful lawsuit taints the investigation with a vindictive motive,” Crenshaw said. “The evidence before this Court sadly reflects an abuse of prosecuting power.”

In a statement, the Department of Homeland Security called the decision “naked judicial activism.” The agency also said Abrego Garcia’s final order of removal stands, saying “this Salvadorian is not going to remain in our country.”

Abrego Garcia in a statement said, “Justice is a big word and an even bigger promise to fulfill; and I am grateful that today, justice has taken a step forward.”

Copyright 2026 NPR

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending