North Carolina
Central NC pollen levels for grass hit highest-ever March numbers; tree pollen at high levels for 15 days straight

RALEIGH, N.C. (WNCN) — If you think there’s a lot of pollen in North Carolina this past week, you are right.
Central North Carolina hit the highest numbers ever for grass pollen in March, according to the North Carolina Division of Air Quality.
The agency operates a pollen sampler in Raleigh and takes readings every workday.
The yellow pollen that seems to be everywhere this week typically comes from trees — and that has hit officially high levels also.
But, grasses can be more connected to allergies and allergic reactions. Grass pollen allergy is one of the most common causes of hay fever, according to the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America.
Grass pollen tends to start in March — but the numbers so far this March at 21 grains per cubic meter of air — are the highest since readings began in 1999, the NC DAQ reports.
Tree pollen typically is worse for allergies from smaller trees, such as Juniper/Cedar/Cypress, Elm, and Maple. Those hit very high levels in the first couple of weeks in March.
Now, as the yellow pollen is abundant, those readings come from other trees such as Pine and Oak.
Tree pollen overall has been at a high level for 15 straight days, according to the North Carolina Division of Air Quality.
Grass and tree pollen tend to get even worse in April — but the kind of pollen then from trees might not trigger allergies as badly.
MORE FROM CBS 17
WAKE COUNTY NEWS
In fact, the yellow pollen so ubiquitous is actually is usually too large to creep into the sinuses, causing allergy problems.
The N.C. Division of Air Quality issues pollen readings on X, formerly Twitter.
Click here for the latest pollen readings, which includes links to historic graphs and charts for trees, grasses and weeds.

North Carolina
NC education officials ask feds to restore $17M in federal Covid relief funds
The North Carolina State Board of Education and Superintendent Mo Green are asking the federal government to reverse a decision that effectively stops the flow of $17 million to North Carolina schools for facility upgrades.
The board voted Thursday to send a joint statement with Green that asks the U.S. Department of Education to honor extensions for spending about $17 million in pandemic stimulus funds that the Biden administration had granted last year.
More than $6 billion in pandemic stimulus dollars earmarked for North Carolina public schools since 2020 has been spent or were committed before a September 2024 deadline. But some extensions were made under the Biden administration to allow schools to spend the funds before the end of March 2026 — particularly spending for facility expenses to offer relief from times when materials and labor were in short supply.
Education Secretary Linda McMahon said last week she wouldn’t honor those extensions, stating that schools had “ample time” to spend the money and that the extensions were “not justified.” In a letter to state officials across the country, McMahon noted that they could re-apply for their extensions and would be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.
Four school districts in North Carolina had extensions: Robeson, Halifax, Lenoir and Richmond county school systems. Public Schools of Robeson County was still awaiting the bulk of that — $14.6 million, largely for heating and air conditioning equipment.
Officials at the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction told WRAL News that the projects across all counties were largely for facilities, including window replacements. Some of those projects can’t be done quickly even after the worst of the supply shortages are over, because the work requires students and staff to be out of the building for extended periods of time, leaving holiday breaks and summers as the only times to do them.
In a statement directed to McMahon, the board and Green noted that the school districts had already signed contracts to do the work.
“These districts will now face potential cancellation of projects or, worse, will not have the resources to pay the bills for work already done,” they said in the statement.
North Carolina
Machete-wielding, cinnamon bun-stealing North Carolina man arrested for armed robbery: police

An Asheville, North Carolina man wielding a machete was arrested for armed robbery after he allegedly stole a cinnamon bun from a grocery store before fleeing on foot, according to police.
The Asheville Police Department said 33-year-old Jeffrey Dewayne Bradburn has been charged with armed robbery, shoplifting and possession of drug paraphernalia.
The department said in a press release that its officers responded to the grocery store at about 5:30 p.m. on Monday after receiving reports of an armed robbery.
FORMER DUKE FOOTBALL PLAYER CONFESSES TO KILLING EX-REAL ESTATE AGENT FRIEND IN HER UPSCALE TOWNHOME: POLICE
Jeffrey Bradburn allegedly stole a cinnamon bun from a grocery store while wielding a machete, according to Asheville, North Carolina police. (Buncombe County Detention Facility)
When officers arrived, a store employee alleged that a man had stolen a cinnamon bun and incense. When the man was confronted, the store employee said, he displayed a machete before running away.
HAITIAN MAN CHARGED IN NC TRIPLE MURDER FLEW INTO US UNDER BIDEN MIGRANT FLIGHTS PROGRAM: ICE

Asheville police responded to a grocery store after receiving reports of an armed robbery. (iStock)
Police canvassed the area for the suspect when they found a man, later identified as Bradburn, who matched the description and was eating a cinnamon bun.
Bradburn was arrested at the scene and charged with armed robbery, shoplifting and possession of drug paraphernalia.
LIBERAL NORTH CAROLINA CITY’S DEI PLAN FOR HURRICANE RELIEF SHUT DOWN BY HUD SECRETARY

The suspect was booked into a detention facility after the magistrate set his bond at $50,000. (iStock)
He was transported to the Buncombe County Detention Facility where he was held on a $50,000 bond.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The Asheville Police Department encourages anyone with information about the incident to contact them at 828-252-1110, or by sending an anonymous tip by texting TIP2APD, or 847411.
North Carolina
NC chef named finalist for James Beard Award
A North Carolina chef has been named a finalist for a regional James Beard Award.
The annual awards honor the best in the culinary industry and are often referred to as “The Oscars of Food.” The Triangle has a legacy of taking home honors.
The finalists were announced Wednesday and despite many North Carolina chefs being named semifinalists in national and regional categories, only one chef moved ahead as a finalist.
Silver Iocovozzi of Neng Jr.’s in Asheville was named one of five finalists for the best chef in the southeast award.
The winners will be announced at the 2025 James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards ceremony on Monday, June 16 at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.
North Carolina chefs have a history of winning James Beard Awards. Lantern’s Andrea Reusing won best chef in the southeast in 2011. Ben Barker of Magnolia Grill won the same honor in 2000. Karen and Ben Barker of Magnolia Grill won outstanding pastry chef in 2003.
Raleigh’s Ashley Christensen, who won the James Beard Award for Outstanding Chef in 2019, won the award for best chef in the southeast in 2014.
Ricky Moore of Saltbox Seafood in Durham won the James Beard Award for Best Chef: Southeast in 2022.
-
News1 week ago
Trump Is Trying to Gain More Power Over Elections. Is His Effort Legal?
-
News1 week ago
Washington Bends to RFK Jr.’s ‘MAHA’ Agenda on Measles, Baby Formula and French Fries
-
World1 week ago
At least six people killed in Israeli attacks on southern Syria
-
News1 week ago
Companies Pull Back From Pride Events as Trump Targets D.E.I.
-
Technology1 week ago
Trump officials planned a military strike over Signal – with a magazine editor on the line
-
Technology1 week ago
The FBI launched a task force to investigate Tesla attacks
-
World1 week ago
No, Norway and Sweden haven't banned digital transactions
-
Culture1 week ago
Analysing Jamal Musiala’s bizarre corner goal for Germany against Italy