Connect with us

Miami, FL

Donald Trump challenges Joe Biden to another debate, attacks immigrants: 4 takeaways from Miami rally

Published

on

Donald Trump challenges Joe Biden to another debate, attacks immigrants: 4 takeaways from Miami rally


play

WASHINGTON − Former President Donald Trump returned to the campaign trail Tuesday and mockingly challenged President Joe Biden to another debate in the wake of the president’s rocky performance last month.

Taunting Democrats who want Biden to drop out and allow Vice President Kamala Harris or another Democrat to enter the ring, Trump said during a sweltering Florida campaign stop he would give the incumbent president a chance to “redeem himself” with another debate − this week.

Advertisement

“This time it will be man-to-man − no moderators, no holds barred,” Trump told Florida supporters gathered at the Trump National Doral Golf Club Miami.

Biden and Trump have already agreed to a Sept. 10 debate to be sponsored by ABC News.

But Trump didn’t only bash Biden and Harris during the Florida rally. He also again used dehumanizing language about undocumented immigrants as he laid out his border priorities for a second term. Trump has long vowed mass deportations across the country if he returns to the White House, and border debates have taken center stage during his third White House bid.

Here are four key takeaways from Trump’s Florida campaign rally.

Bashing Biden while he’s down

Trump, who has laid low in recent days as Democrats debated Biden’s age and mental fitness, sought to take full advantage of concerns from Democratic voters and lawmakers.

Advertisement

Trump accused Biden of being a “part-time president” in front of his crowd of supporters after his 2024 rival struggled to articulate his pitch to Americans on the debate stage. During his speech, Trump said his opponents are “having a full-scale breakdown” because “they can’t decide which of their candidates is more unfit to be president,” Biden or Harris.

Several Democrats in Congress have suggested that Biden withdraw, fearing that his falling poll numbers will take them all down on Election Day. Biden has said that Democratic disunity is the bigger threat, and he has urged the party to stick with him.

A CBS/You Gov national survey conducted in the days after the debate found that 72% of voters do not believe Biden has the mental or cognitive health to serve as president, as well as nearly half of his own party. That was up seven points from the beginning of June.  

The Biden campaign said Trump’s debate proposal was not serious, only part of a performance that included extended comments about golf and references to fictional serial killer Hannibal Lecter. Trump during his speech made fun of Biden by challenging him to a golf match at Doral.

Advertisement

“Joe Biden doesn’t have time for Donald Trump’s weird antics – he’s busy leading America and defending the free world,” said Biden spokesperson James Singer.

Targeting Harris, just in case

Trump, who said Monday that Biden may well hang on to the nomination, spent most of the Florida rally attacking the incumbent − but also found time to go after his potential replacement, Harris.

At one point, Trump claimed that some Democrats would be reluctant to elevate Harris − and that’s why Biden picked her in the first place. “The best insurance policy I’ve ever seen,” Trump said.

During a campaign event earlier in the day on Tuesday in Las Vegas, Harris knocked the former president, alleging that he “wants to turn our democracy into a dictatorship.”

A poll conducted last week by the firm Bendixen & Amandi Inc. showed that Harris could narrowly beat Trump in November. In the national survey conducted by the Democratic pollster, she would edge out Trump, 42% – 41%. The survey showed 12% undecided and 3% support going to third-party candidates.

Advertisement

Attacking undocumented immigrants

Trump also noted that Biden tapped Harris earlier in his administration to take on an issue that’s at the heart of the presidential campaign: The southern border.

Repeatedly assailing illegal border crossings and falsely accusing migrants of widely committing crimes, Trump said immigration will be a top issue regardless of his opponent.

It’s not the first time in recent months Trump has used the rhetoric against migrants. Trump told crowds in June that he that he has floated the idea of a migrant fight club to UFC President Dana White, calling immigrants to the United States “nasty” and “mean.”

Trump also told a New Hampshire crowd last year that immigrants who enter the U.S. illegally are “poisoning the blood of our country.” A 2019 USA Today analysis of more than five dozen of the former president’s rallies found he had used words like ‘invasion’ and ‘killer’ to discuss immigrants at rallies 500 times.

Advertisement

Sidestepping the running mate search

Trump also staged his Florida rally as he prepares to announce his running mate. It featured one of the top contenders: Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla.

The former president made several positive references to Rubio during the speech, noting at one point that the two of them played rough during the 2016 Republican primaries. “We had a vicious campaign for a while,” Trump said of the former opponent he once called “Little Marco.”

During that campaign, Rubio called Trump a “con man” with “small hands,” but he became more supportive after Trump won the White House.

During the rally, Trump joked about Rubio’s chances to be the running mate, noting that his proposal to eliminate taxes on tips would need Senate approval: “You may or may not be there to vote for it.” 

Other vice presidential contenders include Ohio Sen. J.D. Vance and North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum.

Advertisement

Trump said he may announce his decision just before or during the Republican convention, which opens Monday in Milwaukee.

Contributing: Karissa Waddick, Rachel Barber and Francesca Chambers, USA TODAY



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Miami, FL

Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust sends outreach teams to help those living at MIA

Published

on

Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust sends outreach teams to help those living at MIA


MIAMI – County workers combed Miami International Airport on Wednesday to find and relocate people living there without permission. 

The stabbing of a 17-year-old homeless girl last Saturday raised awareness of a struggle affecting the airport’s image, travelers’ comfort and a vulnerable population trying to blend in.

The Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust sent outreach teams to help. 

“We are a community who cares about the least, the last, the lost and the forgotten and we will not sleep until we’ve got every single one of them sheltered and housed,” Ron Book, the trust’s chairman said.

Advertisement

Members of the trust offer services and shelter to people using the airport as a permanent shelter.  The group approached 21 people known to live in the airport. However, only four accepted room at a shelter. 

“You’re trespassing if you don’t,” Book said. “The goal is to make it clear: We need to move you to shelter. We need to get you to a better place.”

A vicious attack inside Terminal J led Book’s team to launch renewed, targeted outreach.

Alexander Love, 29, used a butcher knife to stab a teen 18 times in an unprovoked assault Saturday, Miami-Dade Police said. Both the attacker and victim called the airport home.  Prior to the stabbing, members of the Trust offered services to Love, who moved to Miami from Ohio, Book said. 

Outreach workers know about two dozen people who live in the airport, which violates a county ordinance that requires anyone staying overnight at MIA to have legitimate travel plans or business.

Advertisement

Airport staff, security and police connect anyone they find breaking the ordinance with help from the Homeless Trust before enforcing trespassing laws.

Members of the trust launched aggressive outreach Wednesday in response to the stabbing.

“Frankly, that is not the image we want for our airport number one,” Book said. “But number two, we want people to feel comfortable when they come to our airport, whether they’re travelers coming in or they’re our community citizens going out. Our job is to make people feel comfortable.”

Book said his team will return to the airport Thursday, Friday and beyond to convince anyone refusing to relocate to accept help.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Miami, FL

University of Miami Verbal Commit Breaks Leg In Scrimmage; Out for the 2024 Season

Published

on

University of Miami Verbal Commit Breaks Leg In Scrimmage; Out for the 2024 Season


The 2024 high school season is officially over for Miami Central 4-star safety Amari Wallace.

It’s over before it started.

Wallace participated, with the rest of his Central teammates, in a possible non-sanctioned scrimmage with another high school on Wednesday. He suffered a compound fracture to one of his legs according to a report filed by High School on SI.

He was supposed to be an early enrollee at the University of Miami and was already slated by recruiting experts to compete for one of the two starting safety positions. Now, his status for the 2025 season is unknown. According to the report, the average recovery time for a compound fracture of the leg could be as much as 15 months.

Advertisement

Wallace might have to take a medical redshirt his freshman season.

The situation surrounding the injury has been called into question.

High school football practice is not supposed to start in Florida until July 29. Full-contact practices are not slated to begin until Aug. 3.

Scrimmages between schools must be sanctioned by the Florida High School Athletic Association. It has not been determined if this scrimmage was sanctioned by the FHSAA.

High School on SI reached out to the principal and the coach of Miami Central, to determine the facts and circumstances of this incident. Neither party has responded.

Advertisement

Wallace is a recent Miami commit and selected the Hurricanes over Auburn, Louisville and Louisiana State. All verbal commitments are non-binding. Wallace was going to sign with the Hurricanes during Early National Signing Day in December.

Wallace had three interceptions as well as six passes defended and one caused fumble last season. In 2022 he helped Miami Central win the Florida 2M state championship.

The University cannot issue a statement on a player who is not yet signed to a National Letter of Intent. Miami Hurricanes On SI will monitor the situation and report the facts as they come to light.

Scott Salomon is a contributor to Miami Hurricanes On SI. He can be reached at sas@southfloridamedianetwork.com. He can be followed on X @ScottSalomonNFL.

Follow all social media platforms to stay up to date with everything Miami Hurricanes  TwitterFacebook, and Youtube



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Miami, FL

What Miami Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said about Tua Tagovailoa contract

Published

on

What Miami Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said about Tua Tagovailoa contract


play

MIAMI GARDENS — Miami Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel addressed the contract status of quarterback Tua Tagovailoa prior to Wednesday’s first practice.

The first question asked of McDaniel was if Tua would be taking part in all or a portion of the preseason practices as he seeks a contract extension. McDaniel said the situation is “very fluid.”

Advertisement

“I think its important to acknowledge Tua is in the midst of contract negotiations,” McDaniel said. “That’s important to him and the football team.

“It’s very fluid. We’re taking it day-by-day. I know today I’m expecting what we did in the spring (and) we’ll move forward for what’s best for him and us.”

McDaniel added everyone is aware of the importance of these negotiations to the Dolphins and Tua and his family.

“Everybody know he wants a contract done. Everybody is trying their best to get a deal done.”

Advertisement

Miami Dolphins roster projection 2024: Resetting 53-man depth chart before training camp

Recent: Will Tua Tagovailoa participate in Miami Dolphins training camp practices?

Tua sat out some drills in the spring to make a point about his disatisfaction. That was after a discussion and agreement between the quarterback McDaniel.

By sitting out completely, Tua would have been fined $50,000 per day. He is playing under the contract he signed after being selected fifth overall by the Dolphins in 2020. He is seeking an extension in the $55 million a year range, similar to those signed by Joe Burrow and Trevor Lawrence.

Advertisement

The question of whether Tua would show up was answered Tuesday when players said he was in the building and they expected their quarterback to be at practice.

McDaniel does not expect Tua’s contract dispute to be a distraction to the team.

“I’m very proud of the team this offseason,” McDaniel said, adding he believes the team has “matured in how we go about our business.”

“In a different way its the same challenge you face (during the season). I’m not going to forecast how long it goes on. We’ll adjust as we see fit. All those things are a distraction if you allow it to be.

Advertisement

“I have no concerns about distractions and we together do the best we can to put our best step forward.”

McDaniel added it is very confident in his relationship with Tua, and said the quarterback can separate business from what it happening on the football field.

Tom D’Angelo is a senior sports columnist and golf reporter for The Palm Beach Post. He can be reached at tdangelo@pbpost.com.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending