Connect with us

Delaware

Trump will go to Delaware for the dignified transfer of the 2 National Guard members killed in Syria

Published

on

Trump will go to Delaware for the dignified transfer of the 2 National Guard members killed in Syria


WASHINGTON (AP) — President Donald Trump is traveling to Dover Air Force Base in Delaware on Wednesday for a dignified transfer for the two Iowa National Guard members killed in an attack in the Syrian desert that is testing the rapprochement between Washington and Damascus.

The two guardsmen killed in the attack on Saturday were Sgt. Edgar Brian Torres-Tovar, 25, of Des Moines, and Sgt. William Nathaniel Howard, 29, of Marshalltown, according to the U.S. Army. Both were members of the 1st Squadron, 113th Cavalry Regiment. A U.S. civilian working as an interpreter was also killed.

The ritual at Dover Air Force Base honors U.S. service members killed in action and is one of the most solemn duties undertaken by the commander in chief.

During the process, transfer cases draped with the American flag holding the remains of fallen soldiers are carried from the military aircraft that carried them to Dover to an awaiting vehicle to transport them to the mortuary facility at the base. There, the fallen service members are prepared for their final resting place.

Advertisement

Trump, a Republican, said during his first term that witnessing the dignified transfer of service members’ remains is “the toughest thing I have to do” as president.

Remembered as ‘the best of Iowa’

The Iowa National Guard is remembering the two men as heroes. Howard’s stepfather, Jeffrey Bunn, said Howard “loved what he was doing and would be the first in and last out,” noting that he had wanted to be a soldier since he was a young boy.

In a post on the Meskwaki Nation Police Department’s Facebook page, Bunn – who is chief of the Tama, Iowa, department – called Howard a loving husband and an “amazing man of faith” and said Howard’s brother, a staff sergeant in the Iowa National Guard, would escort “Nate” back to Iowa.

Torres-Tovar was remembered as a “very positive” person who was family oriented and someone who always put others first, according to fellow guardsmen who were deployed with Torres-Tovar and issued a statement to the local TV broadcast station WOI.

“They were dedicated professionals and cherished members of our Guard family who represented the best of Iowa,” said Maj. Gen. Stephen Osborn, adjutant general of the Iowa National Guard.

Advertisement

Trump stands by Syrian leader al-Sharaa

On Saturday, Trump told reporters that he was mourning the deaths and vowed retaliation.

Trump said Monday that he remained confident in the leadership of interim Syrian President Ahmed al-Sharaa, the onetime leader of an Islamic insurgent group who led the ouster of former President Bashar Assad, whose family had an iron grip on Syrian rule for decades.

The U.S. president welcomed al-Sharaa to Washington last month for a historic visit to the White House and formally welcomed Syria as a member of the U.S.-led coalition to fight the Islamic State group. Hundreds of U.S. troops are deployed in eastern Syria as part of a coalition fighting IS.

“This had nothing to do with him,” Trump told reporters in the Oval Office on Monday. “This had to do with ISIS.”

Three other members of the Iowa National Guard were injured in the attack. As of Monday, two were in stable condition and the other in good condition. The Pentagon has not identified them.

Advertisement

Trump traveled to Dover several times during his first term to honor the fallen, including for a U.S. Navy SEAL killed during a raid in Yemen, for two Army officers whose helicopter crashed in Afghanistan and for two Army soldiers killed in Afghanistan when a person dressed in an Afghan army uniform opened fire.



Source link

Delaware

Delaware Memorial Day parades face challenges, still connect neighbors

Published

on

Delaware Memorial Day parades face challenges, still connect neighbors


play

Balloons drift overhead. Bands march and play. Spectators line the streets, watching as the parade rolls by.

For generations, Memorial Day parades have been a fixture in Delaware, with Wilmington’s — the state’s oldest — stretching back more than 150 years.

Advertisement

But a recent video shared on Reddit of Newark’s May 17 parade, showing sparse crowds and few participants, has sparked new questions about turnout. City officials say just 22 groups took part this year, down from 29 a year ago.

“This is just sad,” commented a user under the post.

With parades taking place across Delaware this weekend, some are asking whether these longtime events can keep their footing — and stay relevant in a digital age — at one of the year’s biggest moments for turnout.

Connecting with community

Parades take many forms, from the solemn tone of Memorial Day to the playful Middletown Hummers’ Parade. But at their core, they all share the same purpose: bringing communities together around a common cause.

Advertisement

“It’s so important to permit outreach, and strengthen partnerships within the community,” said Fred Cooke, an organizer for Middletown’s Memorial Day parade. “That’s what allows these things to grow.”

Cooke pointed to Middletown’s Memorial Day parade as a model, where the town brings together local businesses, fraternities and sororities, church groups and others to build a larger community event.

“By tapping into the resources around us, we’ve created a real event,” Cooke said.

Multiple parade organizers attributed the success of these events to their ability to make connections, and stand by them.

Advertisement

“Putting things together and developing these relationships certainly helps,” said Marvin Pedigo, an organizer for Smyrna’s parade slate.

Some lacking turnouts can’t be solved

Those partnerships don’t always come easily. Jayme Gravell, Newark’s chief of community engagement, said the University of Delaware’s student move-out often limits collaboration — and likely contributed to lower turnout this year.

“People are moving out, people are leaving town,” she said. “It’s just hard to draw interest or support when people aren’t here.”

The uncontrollable factor of conflicting events creates a dilemma for parades like the one in Newark. As Cooke pointed out, it’s one that smaller areas of Delaware don’t have to face, giving them an advantage.

Advertisement

The purpose behind a parade can shape its audience. While many are built around celebration, Memorial Day carries a more solemn tone, honoring those who died in military service. For that reason, Pedigo said the Smyrna-Clayton parade focuses less on turnout and more on showing respect for those lost.

“We really only partner with smaller civic organizations, and it’s a smaller turnout,” he said. “The emphasis should be placed on honoring those who fought for this country.”

Both communities pointed to other local parades as proof crowds are still there. Newark’s Halloween parade draws about 50 groups each year, compared to 22 for Memorial Day, while Smyrna’s Christmas parade typically brings in 90 to 100 groups.

“We haven’t seen any kind of dramatic parade fall-off,” Pedigo said. “Just the occurrence of certain circumstances.”

Advertisement

Where will Delaware Memorial Day parades take place?

Three parades will take place across the state this coming week, allowing locals to honor fallen veterans. They are listed below:

  • Middletown Memorial Day Parade- Begins at Redding Middle School, 201 New St., Middletown, at 10:30 a.m. May 25.
  • Smyrna-Clayton Memorial Day Parade- Parade begins at Market Street Plaza and West Commerce Street, Smyrna, at 10 a.m. May 25. 
  • Wilmington Memorial Day Parade– Begins at Delaware and Woodlawn avenues, Wilmington at 6 p.m. May 30.

Adam Denn is an intern reporter for Delaware Online/The News Journal. You can reach him at ADenn@delawareonline.com



Source link

Continue Reading

Delaware

Man facing rape charges after being found in park after hours with underage girl

Published

on

Man facing rape charges after being found in park after hours with underage girl


Saturday, May 23, 2026 1:05AM

Man arrested, charged with rape after being found in park after hours with underage girl

WILMINGTON, Del. (WPVI) — A 22-year-old man is facing several rape charges after police say he was in a park in Wilmington, Delaware, after hours with an underage girl.

New Castle County Police announced the arrest of Majdi Jones, of Maryland, on Friday.

Officers were patrolling Banning Park early Wednesday morning when they say they found him in a vehicle with a 12-year-old girl.

Detectives determined that he had been communicating with her on social media.

Advertisement

Jones is being held in jail after failing to post bail.

Copyright © 2026 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

Delaware

Groups founded by billionaire Koch brothers sue Delaware over campaign finance law

Published

on

Groups founded by billionaire Koch brothers sue Delaware over campaign finance law


‘Likely that potential donors will refuse to contribute’

Delaware enacted the law in question in 2012 in the wake of the U.S. Supreme Court’s ruling in Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission in 2010, which permitted corporations and other outside groups to spend unlimited money on elections.

The lawsuit targets the provision in the Delaware code that requires third-party advertisers who engage in so-called “electioneering communications” — which name a candidate but don’t explicitly say who to vote for or against — to file reports if they spend more than $500 in an election cycle.

The groups must first register as a political committee and list names and addresses of each officer, as well “a concise statement of the committee’s purposes or goals,” and the name, office sought and party affiliation of candidates they are supporting or opposing, “to the extent such information is known as of the date of filing.”

During the campaign season, the groups also need to file reports listing the name and mailing address of anyone contributing more than $100, regardless of whether the person earmarked their money for a Delaware race or even knows about the campaign ads in Delaware. The report must contain the total amount that every donor made during the relevant election cycle.

Advertisement

The law has a $1,200 minimum threshold for reporting donations by any contributor that is not an individual.

While the lawsuit centers on disclosing individual donors, the roughly 60 third-party advertisers now registered in Delaware report contributions from affiliated organizations rather than naming individual people, a WHYY News review of filings found.

For example, the American Civil Liberties Union of Delaware Action Fund listed $70,000 in donations from the American Civil Liberties Union, listing a New York address for the donors.

Another group, the National Resources Defense Council lists one donation — $100,000 in 2024 from the NRDC Action Votes Federal PAC in New York. During that race, the group advocated for unsuccessful Democratic gubernatorial candidate Collin O’Mara.

Regardless of whether third-party advertisers are naming individual people as donors, Americans for Prosperity argues in the lawsuit that the names of “thousands of donors” who have given its two groups more than $100 since 2022 would have to be disclosed.

Advertisement

Citing the law, the lawsuit said that failing to comply comes with a possible “penalty of perjury” and fines of $50 a day and perhaps referral to prosecutors for not filing the reports, which is a misdemeanor criminal offense.

Such disclosures would harm Americans for Prosperity, the lawsuit argues, because “the vast majority of donors require confidentiality as a condition of their giving.”

Unless the law changes or is overturned in court, the lawsuit claims that Americans for Prosperity could jeopardize its funding stream if it engages in third-party advertising in Delaware.

“It is likely that potential donors will refuse to contribute, and current donors will cease to contribute, because they are too fearful of the reprisal they will face if their names and addresses are disclosed,” the lawsuit said.

Connolly elaborated.

Advertisement

“This is a fundamental, foundational American principle that you should be able to give to causes without fear, whether you give $100 or $1,000 or more,’’ he said. “Everybody should be treated equally and protected equally to engage in the political process as they see fit and not not fear attacks on their families and their businesses.”

Marshall countered that third-party advertisers don’t deserve special privileges.

“The idea is that our elections are sacrosanct and that we ought to be able to at least see who is influencing them,” Marshall said. “The idea that we should have special rules when it’s a third party that’s really set up in practice to funnel extremely wealthy people’s resources in one or a few massive bundles of money, that we should treat that more gingerly than we treat the donation of an accountant who lives in Newark to their local state rep candidate, just feels outrageous.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending