Delaware
Early voting deemed unconstitutional
A Delaware Superior Court judge has stuck down the state’s early voting law for general elections, and also permanent absentee voting laws, saying they are unconstitutional.
The state’s early voting law, passed by the General Assembly and signed into law in 2019, goes against the Delaware Constitution that states “the general election shall be held biennially on the Tuesday next after the first Monday in the month of November,” wrote Superior Court Judge Mark H. Conner in his 25-page opinion.
Plaintiff Michael Mennella, an inspector for the Delaware Department of Elections, originally filed a Chancery Court complaint in 2022 against early voting, before the case was transferred to Superior Court in 2023, when Sen. Gerald Hocker, R-Ocean View, was added as a plaintiff.
“The court’s role – indeed, our duty – is to hold the challenged statutory enactments up to the light of our constitution and determine whether they are consonant or discordant with it. The enactments of the General Assembly challenged today are inconsistent with our constitution and therefore cannot stand,” Conner wrote.
In reviewing the law for permanent absentee voting, Conner used a grammatical analysis of the law to determine it is at odds with the constitution. The wording states a voter is allowed to participate in absentee voting at only the election at which they are unable to appear, he writes – a process not meant to be permanent.
“The use of the singular ‘a’ before the singular ‘ballot’ demonstrates that only one absentee ballot may be cast for any such general election at which the voter shall be unable to appear,” the opinion states.
Conner struck down a request to dismiss the case by defendant State Election Commissioner Anthony J. Albence and the state Department of Elections over claims that plaintiffs failed to transfer the cases from Chancery Court to Superior Court in a timely manner. He also states that a constitutional challenge to the permanent absentee voting statute passed in 2010 is not barred by the three-year statute of limitations set forth in Delaware code.
Jane Brady, a former Attorney General, Superior Court judge and previous head of the state GOP, who litigated the case said the decision only applies to general elections, not special elections or primaries.
“It is unfortunate that we will have different laws for the general election than for other elections, which may cause some voter confusion,” said Brady in a statement following the Superior Court opinion. “Previously, the General Assembly has been careful to comply with the constitution when they pass laws, but these laws clearly violate the constitution, as did the same-day registration and mail-in voting bills. We, therefore, have different rules for voting in different elections.”
Both Democrat gubernatorial candidates issued statements stating, if elected governor, they will fight for expanded voting rights through a constitutional amendment.
“The Delaware Superior Court’s decision to strike down early voting after already doing away with permanent mail-in voting is a blow to the foundational principles our country is built on,” said Lt. Gov. Bethany Hall-Long.
Her opponent, New Castle County Executive Matt Meyer, blamed Republican extremists for the change.
“This decision undermines fundamental principles of democracy. It is the latest attempt by Republican extremists to restrict people’s access to the ballot box and create unnecessary obstacles for countless Delawareans, denying them their democratic rights,” he said.
Delaware Congresswoman Lisa Blunt Rochester, who is running the U.S. Senate, also blamed Republicans for the attacking “access to the ballot” box, and she pledged to work for federal voting rights protections.
Brady, however, said no matter how people try to characterize the ruling, the court was careful to note this lawsuit was not about whether Delaware should have early voting, or permanent absentee status, any more than the previous lawsuit was about whether Delaware should have same-day registration or mail-in ballots.
“The question was do these laws comply with the constitution, and the answer is clearly ‘no,’” she said.
Delaware
Delaware Memorial Bridge is set to cashless
Drivers without E-ZPass would be billed by mail at a higher rate.
Tuesday, February 17, 2026 4:36AM
NEW CASTLE, Del. (WPVI) — The Delaware Memorial Bridge is set to go all-electronic, eliminating cash collections.
The twin-span bridge connects New Castle, Delaware, and Pennsville, New Jersey.
Drivers without E-ZPass would be billed by mail at a higher rate.
The transition is set to happen by late 2029 or early 2030.
The Delaware River and Bay Authority has allocated $34 million for the project as part of a $161 million capital improvement plan.
Copyright © 2026 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.
Delaware
Delaware icon DJ Jazzy Jeff cooks up FIFA World Cup 2026 music
Delaware officials tout tourism, watch parties for 2026 FIFA World Cop
Officials announced that the state will host four watch parties across Delaware for this summer’s World Cup. 2/12/26
Delaware resident DJ Jazzy Jeff, the same Grammy winner who played Will Smith’s bestie on “The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air” sitcom, will bring the First State to Philadelphia for the FIFA World Cup 2026 this summer.
The West Philly native – best known for teaming up with Will Smith and forming the 1980s dynamic duo DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince – is an official FIFA music ambassador for the World Cup.
DJ Jazzy Jeff (Jeffrey Allen Townes) lives in Bear, and he produced a Social ID (or branded music) that soccer fans will hear when FIFA games are broadcast from Philly at Lincoln Financial Field (home of the Philadelphia Eagles) from June 14 to July 4. (The entire FIFA World Cup tournament runs from June 11 to July 19.).
DJ Jazzy Jeff talks FIFA World Cup 2026 music: ‘It’s an honor’
FIFA teamed up with influential producers from well over a dozen host cities in the U.S., Mexico and Canada to tie the soccer tournament to each city’s culture, giving World Cup fans and visitors a preview with a taste of audio flavor for each place they’ll experience before these games.
Philly is one of the World Cup host cities across the U.S., and Jazzy Jeff collaborated with Philadelphia Soccer 2026, the nonprofit organization that is the operational host committee tasked with planning and delivering the World Cup to Philly this summer.
Fans will be able to download the Social IDs on Apple, Spotify, and other platforms, according to FIFA.
“Music has the power to bring people together and transport them to a specific time and place. My hope is that this Sonic ID is representative of the experience of Philadelphia, inside a stadium packed to the brim with passionate fans,” the Firefly Music Festival alum said in a 2025 statement. “It’s an honor to be part of the FIFA World Cup 26™ journey and I can’t wait for the world to feel the energy of Philly in 2026!”
Music from the Social ID Jazzy Jeff and other artists delivered will be played in stadiums, during broadcasts, across digital platforms throughout the tournament, and at FIFA Fan Festivals, which are entertainment hubs for watch parties and performances.
“DJ Jazzy Jeff has shaped the sound of Philadelphia for the last 40 years and we’re proud to capture a piece of that legacy in our Host City Sonic ID,” Meg Kane, host city executive/CEO for Philadelphia Soccer 2026, said in a 2025 statement.
While DJ Jazzy Jeff’s social ID was announced in early 2025, his music is going to get renewed interest since Delaware officially announced its partnership with Philly Soccer 2026 on Feb. 12, which includes the state’s plans to attract tourism for the FIFA World Cup.
How many people will watch the FIFA World Cup 2026?
The FIFA World Cup is the largest sporting event on Earth. Over 3 billion are expected to tune into this summer’s World Cup final, which will be played July 19 at neighboring New Jersey at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, temporarily renamed New York New Jersey Stadium.
While the recent Super Bowl 60 peaked at 137.8 million viewers, the last World Cup in 2022 drew over 1.4 billion spectators.
How many people will visit Delaware for FIFA World Cup 2026?
More than 100,000 hotel rooms are expected to be booked in the tri-state region (Delaware, Pennsylvania and New Jersey), along with over 500,000 visitors to the region. The economic impact this summer is estimated at nearly $800 million, Kane said.
Delaware will host a FIFA World Cup 2026 team
Gov. Matt Meyer announced at a Feb. 12 tourism event that Delaware is bringing the World Cup to the Small Wonder, but he didn’t reveal which team at the time.
One of the club teams will lodge in the state, while the team practices at the Philadelphia Union’s Subaru Park stadium in Chester, Pennsylvania.
“There’s never been a [Delaware] governor who can stand up and say that the World Cup is coming here,” Meyer said at the event held at the Hyatt Place Wilmington/Riverfront. “We’re very excited about that, bringing … a place of the world’s best here to Delaware.”
If you have an interesting story idea, email lifestyle reporter Andre Lamar at alamar@gannett.com. Consider signing up for his weekly newsletter, DO Delaware, at delawareonline.com/newsletters.
Delaware
Former Delaware House Rep. John Viola, who served Newark, Bear, dies
Ever wonder what’s inside Dover’s Legislative Hall? Let’s take a look
Delaware’s Legislative Hall has served as the state’s capitol building since the 1930s. Here’s a look inside those hallowed halls.
Former House Rep. John Viola passed away, according to a social media post from his daughter and a statement from Delaware House Democrats.
Viola represented parts of Newark and Bear from 1998 until the time he left office in 2020. He was 75 years old.
His daughter Andria Bennett, who is also a former state representative, posted about Viola’s death on Facebook on Feb. 15, saying, “my best friends, my favorite person, my safe place, my ride or die, MY JV left us and my heath is absolutely shattered.”
House Democratic leadership released a statement on Sunday afternoon remembering Viola as a “dedicated public servant in every sense of the word.” The statement referenced his time in Dover, in the Air Force and as a volunteer firefighter.
“Whether in Legislative Hall or in everyday life, John showed up every day with the same purpose: to help people and make life a little better for others,” the statement by Speaker Melissa Minor-Brown, Majority Leader Kerri Evelyn Harris, and Majority Whip Ed Osienski said.
Viola himself served as House Majority Whip from 2013 to 2017. He lost a primary election in 2020 to current Rep. Madinah Wilson-Anton by 43 votes.
He and his daughter, Bennett, were the first father and daughter to serve in the state House of Representatives at the same time.
-
Alabama1 week agoGeneva’s Kiera Howell, 16, auditions for ‘American Idol’ season 24
-
Illinois1 week ago2026 IHSA Illinois Wrestling State Finals Schedule And Brackets – FloWrestling
-
Technology1 week agoApple might let you use ChatGPT from CarPlay
-
Culture1 week agoTry This Quiz on Passionate Lines From Popular Literature
-
Science1 week agoTorrance residents call for the ban of ‘flesh-eating’ chemical used at refinery
-
Politics1 week agoVirginia Dems take tax hikes into overtime, target fantasy football leagues
-
Politics1 week agoWest Virginia worked with ICE — 650 arrests later, officials say Minnesota-style ‘chaos’ is a choice
-
Movie Reviews1 week agoAshakal Aayiram Movie Review: Jayaram’s performance carries an otherwise uneven family drama