Connect with us

Delaware

Biden cuts short Delaware trip, returns to Washington to consult national security amid West Asia crisis

Published

on

Biden cuts short Delaware trip, returns to Washington to consult national security amid West Asia crisis


United States President Joe Biden returned to Washington on Saturday afternoon (Apr 13) as he plans to hold discussion with his national security team amid an escalation of tensions in West Asia.

The development comes hours after Biden said that he expects an Iranian attack against Israel “sooner, rather than later.”

The US president was on a trip to Delaware, which the White House said he cut short to discuss the current happenings in the Middle East.

Tehran has vowed retaliation in response to an Israeli strike on Iran’s embassy compound in Damascus last week that claimed the life of a senior commander in the Iranian Revolutionary Guard Corps’ overseas Quds Force along with six other officers.

Advertisement

US Defense Secretary speaks with Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant

Earlier on Saturday, US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin held a telephonic conversation with Israeli Defense Minister Yoav Gallant to discuss “urgent regional threats,” and echoed full support from the United States for its ally Israel against the attacks launched by Iran and its proxies.

Biden’s national security adviser, Jake Sullivan, also shared a social media post on the same lines reiterating US support for his Israeli counterpart, Tzachi Hanegbi. 

Biden, on Friday, issued a stern warning to Iran against retaliatory attacks while also predicting that the attacks may be imminent. 

“We are devoted to the defence of Israel. We will support Israel. We will help defend Israel and Iran will not succeed,” the US president said.

Countries warn citizens against travel to Israel, Iran

Meanwhile, several countries including India, France, Poland, and Russia have warned their citizens against travelling to Israel and Iran.

Advertisement

“In view of the prevailing situation in the region, all Indians are advised not to travel to Iran or Israel till further notice. All those who are currently residing in Iran or Israel are requested to get in touch with Indian Embassies there and register themselves,” the Indian foreign ministry said in a statement on Friday.

The French foreign ministry advised citizens to “refrain absolutely” from travelling to Iran, Lebanon, Israel, or the Palestinian territories in the coming days.

Germany, asked its citizens to leave Iran, adding, “German citizens are at concrete risk of being arbitrarily arrested and interrogated and being given long prison sentences. Dual citizens with Iranian and German nationality are especially at risk.”

(With inputs from agencies)



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Delaware

Delaware County Council bans ‘ghost guns’ as potential lawsuit looms

Published

on

Delaware County Council bans ‘ghost guns’ as potential lawsuit looms


He asserted there is no “history or tradition” of regulations that justify “a blatantly unconstitutional ban of privately made firearms.”

The Nation Foundation for Gun Rights is the legal defense arm of the National Association for Gun Rights. Following Wednesday’s meeting, Storrs told WHYY News via email that county officials “chose to ignore the obvious.”

“Pennsylvania Gun Rights won’t stop fighting for the rights of residents of Delaware County to keep and bear arms. We are exploring all options to further fight this,” Storrs said. “Until then, we encourage Delaware Countians not to lose hope. This fight isn’t over.”

Taylor said the ordinance does not infringe on people’s Second Amendment rights.

Advertisement

“This ordinance doesn’t regulate fully assembled, lawfully obtained firearms,” Taylor said. “What this ordinance does do is to send a clear and powerful message that we will do everything in our power to prioritize and protect public safety.”

During a public hearing prior to the vote, supporters and opponents of the ordinance debated the topic, but council members appeared to have already made up their minds.

While Pennsylvania has strict preemption laws that block local governments from enacting gun laws stronger than the state’s policies, the Commonwealth Court has allowed Philadelphia’s “ghost gun” legislation to stand. The state Supreme Court is reviewing the case.

The U.S. Supreme Court recently upheld regulations instituted during former President Joe Biden’s administration that required gun assembly kit companies to add serial numbers to products and conduct background checks. Early results indicated the ban helped reduce the number of ghost guns on the street.

The threat of litigation did induce some fear in Councilmember Christine Reuther, but the Supreme Court ruling gave her more confidence. She decided it would be best for county officials to stand their ground rather than capitulate.

Advertisement

“Thank you to my fellow council members who decided that this should go on the agenda and not be an instance where we gave into our fear of what acting might mean,” she said.

Reuther said supporters of the ordinance have offered to pay the county’s legal fees in the event of a lawsuit.



Source link

Continue Reading

Delaware

EPA says it will finalize proposal to improve oxygen in the Delaware River

Published

on

EPA says it will finalize proposal to improve oxygen in the Delaware River


“When finalized, this action will protect two species of endangered sturgeon and prove to be a boon for commercial and local fishing by also protecting American shad, striped bass and yellow perch,” Zeldin said in a statement.

In order to meet the oxygen levels outlined in the new standards, wastewater facilities would be forced to treat ammonia before discharging into the estuary.

The EPA’s announcement comes as welcome news to the Delaware Riverkeeper Network. The environmental group and scientists have for years urged the Delaware River Basin Commission, which oversees the region’s water quality, to increase its 1967 criteria for dissolved oxygen levels.

In 2022, the riverkeepers petitioned the federal government to step in and take action, which resulted in the EPA’s 2023 proposed standards. However, when the agency did not meet a deadline to finalize those standards, the riverkeepers filed suit in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania.

Advertisement

On Tuesday, the EPA notified the court of its intent to finalize the proposed water quality standards. The Delaware Riverkeeper Network’s Maya van Rossum said the move indicates the EPA is committed to issuing regulations that are “protective of the Delaware River and its aquatic life,” and that “protect sturgeon from extinction.”

Some water providers aren’t as thrilled with the announcement. In a statement on Wednesday, the Philadelphia Water Department said though it agrees water quality standards must be updated, the EPA’s proposal is “overly stringent, not developed with sound science, and could significantly increase PWD customer bills.”

The department said it hopes to work with the EPA on a rule that would improve water quality while also ensuring affordable water rates for customers.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Delaware

Why Delaware lawmakers want to put more money into energy bill assistance

Published

on

Why Delaware lawmakers want to put more money into energy bill assistance


play

When higher energy bills hit Delawareans’ wallets this winter, many of those struggling were ineligible for the assistance available.  

Those who make 60% of the state’s median income or less qualify for the Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program, but with costs rising across the board, more people are struggling to make ends meet.  

Advertisement

For a single person, the income limit for LIHEAP is $37,740, according to 2025 guidelines. 

That’s why Delaware House Rep. Debra Heffernan introduced House Bill 50, which funnels more money to LIHEAP while also creating a Delaware Energy Fund to aid households whose income is less than 350% of the federal poverty level. For a single-person household to qualify, they would need to make $54,775 or less. 

“One part of it adds money to the LIHEAP program that comes from the Alternate Compliance Program that Delmarva pays into,” Heffernan said. “The second part of the bill creates a new Delaware Energy Fund, which is going to be able to help customers with more moderate income.” 

The act would sunset three years after being enacted.  

Advertisement

The infusion of additional funds to Delaware’s LIHEAP and the creation of a new heating assistance fund for moderate-income earners comes amid soaring energy costs in the First State caused by a combination of increased charges and greater energy use.  

Heffernan said the infusion of additional funds into LIHEAP is also important given the looming cuts to federal funding.  

Where does the legislation stand? 

The heating assistance bill was moved out of the House Natural Resources & Energy Committee on March 12 and was placed on the ready list for the full House of Representatives to vote on. 

Advertisement

Once HB 50 has been acted on by the House, it will then move to the state Senate for consideration. 

The Delaware General Assembly is not in session this week as lawmakers host bond hearings.

Existing energy assistance 

Delaware offers several assistance programs for residents struggling with energy costs.  

The Delaware Energy Assistance Program is a federally funded program under LIHEAP that provides financial assistance to households for their energy bills. It also assists with energy crises, weatherization and energy-related home repairs. The state’s LIHEAP assistance is run through Catholic Charities of Wilmington. 

Advertisement

For Delaware households at or below 60% of Delaware’s median income seeking help with energy costs, the state offers these options: 

Winter Heating Fuel Assistance 

Homeowners and renters are eligible for help on home energy bills between Oct. 1 and March 31. Eligible sources include electricity, natural gas, oil, kerosene, propane, coal, and wood.  

Advertisement

Crisis Assistance 

This assistance is available year-round and can be received in addition to seasonal fuel benefits. Households must show they are experiencing a crisis, such as having received a shut-off or disconnect notice or being behind on utility bills. 

Summer Cooling Assistance Program  

Households who have previously applied for LIHEAP, within the program year, that need help with offsetting the electrical costs to cool their home are eligible. The program also offers a single-room in-window air conditioner to those who can demonstrate a need. 

Weatherization Assistance Program 

Advertisement

This free program is administered by the Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) and helps identify energy savings. It provides assistance in weatherproofing and improving energy efficiency in homes. Call (302) 735-3480 to learn more about the program.  

To apply to any of these programs, apply online or contact Catholic Charities or call the following numbers depending on your location for assistance: 

  • New Castle County: (302) 654-9295
  • Kent County: (302) 674-1782 
  • Sussex County: (302) 856-6310 

Got a tip? Contact Amanda Fries at afries@delawareonline.com, or by calling or texting 302-598-5507.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending