Connect with us

Austin, TX

Tesla shares rise on plans to accelerate launch of ‘more affordable’ models

Published

on

Tesla shares rise on plans to accelerate launch of ‘more affordable’ models


Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

Tesla has pledged to bring forward the launch of “more affordable” models of its electric vehicles, helping its stock recover some of its recent losses despite reporting a 9 per cent decline in first-quarter revenue amid a sharp fall in sales.

In a filing on Tuesday, the electric-car maker said it had “updated our future vehicle line-up to accelerate the launch of new models ahead of our previously communicated start of production in the second half of 2025”.

Advertisement

It added that these would include “more affordable” vehicles that could be produced on its existing manufacturing lines. Tesla shares rose more than 12 per cent in after-hours trading.

Chief executive Elon Musk said in January that Tesla was preparing to start production of a new lower-cost car next year, priced at $25,000 and dubbed Model 2. The stock had fallen on a Reuters report earlier this month that the project had been shelved, which Musk denied.

On a conference call, Musk refused to be drawn on specific plans for an affordable “next generation vehicle” or how it would be produced using Tesla’s current infrastructure. He had previously said the Model 2 would require a new “revolutionary manufacturing system” at factories in Austin, Texas, as well as in Mexico.

Instead, Musk said more information would be given alongside an August announcement about “robotaxis” and sketched an ambitious vision for Tesla as an “AI and robotics company” based around its autonomous driving system and humanoid robots.

“If you value Tesla just as an auto company you fundamentally have the wrong framework. If you ask the wrong question, the right answer is impossible,” he said. “If somebody doesn’t believe Tesla is going to solve autonomy they should not be an investor in the company. And we will and we are.”

Advertisement

The results come at turbulent time for Musk and the EV sector. Before Tuesday’s after-hours share price rise, Tesla stock had plunged more than 40 per cent since the start of the year after warning of slowing vehicle deliveries, eroding profit margins, a potential move of its incorporation to Texas from Delaware and revealing plans to cut more than 10 per cent of its workforce — at least 14,000 jobs.

Most big US carmakers have reported a drop in EV sales due to softening consumer demand, a shift in preference to hybrids and increased competition from low-cost options from Chinese brands.

“While Tesla has real issues to contend with, we believe the company’s long-term upward trajectory remains intact,” said Christopher Tsai of Tsai Capital, which holds Tesla stock. “The potential for high-margin autonomy revenue should not go unheeded.”

Absent the enthusiasm about a new vehicle line-up, the underlying financial performance remained disappointing. First-quarter revenue fell to $21.3bn from $23.3bn in the same period last year, missing analysts’ expectations for $22.3bn. That marks Tesla’s first year-on-year quarterly drop since the start of 2020.

Adjusted earnings per share almost halved from a year ago to 45 cents, versus estimates for 52 cents, and the carmaker reported a sixth consecutive quarter of declining gross margins. The closely watched financial metric fell to 17.4 per cent, down from a peak of 29.1 per cent in the first quarter of 2022.

Advertisement

“We experienced numerous challenges, from the Red Sea conflict and the arson attack at Gigafactory Berlin, to the gradual [increase in production] of the updated Model 3 in Fremont,” Tesla said of the start to the year. “Global EV sales continue to be under pressure as many carmakers prioritise hybrid over EVs. ”

Earlier this month, Tesla said it had delivered 386,810 electric cars between January and March, a fifth lower than the previous quarter, and 8 per cent below the same period in 2023. It has continued to cut prices for its most popular models as unsold-vehicle inventory piles up: that measure rose to 28 days of supply from 15 days a year ago.

Tesla still makes more than 80 per cent of its revenue from selling cars. Excluding the effects of regulatory credits, the gross margin from its automotive unit — a closely watched measure of its core operations — fell to 16.4 per cent for the quarter, down from 19 per cent a year ago.

Musk’s commitment to AI was evident in a big jump in “AI infrastructure capex” to $1bn, resulting in cash flow of negative $2.5bn in the period.

Advertisement

He said that Tesla had installed 35,000 H100 Nvidia AI model training graphics processing units and that this number would rise to 85,000 by year end. He added that its humanoid robot, dubbed Optimus, would be “more valuable than everything else combined”.

Musk is also seeking to change the company’s state of incorporation to Texas, partly in protest at a Delaware court decision to void a $56bn pay package he was awarded in 2018. Shareholders will vote on the move and whether to reaffirm his share award at its annual meeting in June.

Additional reporting by Richard Waters



Source link

Advertisement

Austin, TX

Damage reported after severe storms move across Central Texas

Published

on

Damage reported after severe storms move across Central Texas


As three teens face charges in a string of weekend shootings and robberies, mental health is becoming part of the broader conversation in Austin. One suspect’s mother told KXAN her 15-year-old son had struggled with substance abuse and suicidal thoughts — not as an excuse, she said, but as context for how mental health can affect a young person’s decisions. READ MORE: https://www.kxan.com/news/simplehealth/travis-county-launches-childrens-mental-health-plan-as-teen-crime-case-raises-concerns/



Source link

Continue Reading

Austin, TX

Live Updates: Severe storm, flood threat across Central Texas Tuesday

Published

on

Live Updates: Severe storm, flood threat across Central Texas Tuesday


AUSTIN (KXAN) — Severe thunderstorms and flooding are possible in Central Texas Tuesday evening into early Wednesday. Here’s the latest forecast from the First Warning Weather team.

Here are the main headlines:

  • A Flash Flood Warning has been issued for northern Burnet and northern Llano counties until midnight.
  • A Severe Thunderstorm Warning is in effect for central Williamson County until 9:15 p.m.
  • A Severe Thunderstorm Warning is in effect for Blanco, Burnet, northeastern Gillespie, northwestern Hays, southeastern Llano, northwestern Travis and southwestern Williamson counties until 9:15 p.m.
  • A Severe Thunderstorm Warning is in effect for southern Blanco, Hays, Travis and southwestern Williamson counties until 10 p.m.
  • Severe Thunderstorm Watch is in effect for Gillespie, Llano, Mason and San Saba counties until 11 p.m.
  • Severe Thunderstorm Watch is in effect for Bastrop, Blanco, Burnet, Hays, Lampasas, Lee, Milam, Travis and Williamson counties until 1 a.m.
  • The Storm Prediction Center has issued a level 2 of 5 (slight) severe weather risk for all of Central Texas. Large hail and strong winds are the main concerns.
  • The Weather Prediction Center has issued a level 2 of 4 flood threat for all of Central Texas.
  • RESOURCES: Latest forecast | Radar | Rain totals | Download the KXAN Weather app | Sign up for severe weather alerts | 2026 weather data
Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued until 1 a.m.

Live updates

8:54 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for southern Blanco, Hays, Travis and southwestern Williamson counties until 10 p.m. Winds gusts up to 70 mph and quarter-size hail are possible with this storm.

8:49 p.m.: Wind gusts are strengthening in Williamson County. The National Weather Service now says wind gusts of 70 mph are possible, which could cause “considerable tree damage.” A Severe Thunderstorm Warning remains in effect until 9:15 p.m.

8:51 p.m.: KXAN’s Grace Reader is monitoring the storms and sent in this video heading towards Marble Falls.

Advertisement

8:35 p.m.: The National Weather Service said the severe thunderstorm in central Williamson County is now capable to producing ping pong ball-sized hail. A Severe Thunderstorm Warning remains in effect until 9:15 p.m.

8:20 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Blanco, Burnet, northeastern Gillespie, northwestern Hays, southeastern Llano, northwestern Travis and southwestern Williamson counties until 9:15 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.

8:18 p.m.: Texas Game Wardens have been activated and are prepared to provide support in areas affected by the potential severe weather.

8:11 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for central Williamson County until 9:15 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.

8:10 p.m.: KXAN’s Jordan Belt is monitoring the storms and sent in this video from Burnet.

Advertisement

7:51 p.m.: KXAN’s Grace Reader is monitoring the storms and sent in this video from just north of Burnet.

7:45 p.m.: A Flash Flood Warning has been issued for northern Burnet and northern Llano counties until midnight.

7:43 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for central Burnet County until 8:30 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.

7:40 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for northwestern Williamson County until 8:15 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.

7:28 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for western Burnet county and Llano County until 8:30 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph are possible with this storm.

Advertisement

7:16 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Northeastern Burnet County until 8:15 p.m. Ping pong ball-sized hail and wind gusts up to 60 mph are possible with this storm.

7:06 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Southeastern Lampasas County until 8:15 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.

6:56 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for northern Williamson County until 7:30 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and half dollar-sized hail are possible with this storm.

6:55 p.m.: KXAN’s Grace Reader is monitoring the storms and sent in this video from just south of Lampasas.

6:45 p.m.: KXAN’s Grace Reader is monitoring the storms and sent in these photos from Marble Falls.

Advertisement

6:33 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for Burnet County, northern Llano County and northwestern Williamson County until 7:30 p.m. Ping pong ball-sized hail and wind gusts up to 60 mph are possible with this storm.

6:27 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for northeastern Williamson County until 7:15 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.

6:12 p.m.: The Severe Thunderstorm Watch has been extended to include Bastrop, Blanco, Burnet, Hays, Lampasas, Lee, Milam, Travis and Williamson counties until 1 a.m.

Severe Watch issued until 1am
Severe Thunderstorm Watch issued until 1 a.m.

6:11 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for northwestern Mason County until 7:15 p.m. Golf ball-sized hail and wind gusts up to 60 mph are possible with this storm.

5:54 p.m.: A Severe Thunderstorm Warning has been issued for western Burnet and central Llano counties until 6:45 p.m. Wind gusts up to 60 mph and quarter-sized hail are possible with this storm.

3:56 p.m.: The National Weather Service has issued a Severe Thunderstorm Watch for Gillespie, Llano, Mason and San Saba counties. It will be in effect until 11 p.m.

Severe Thunderstorm Watch until 11 p.m.
Severe Thunderstorm Watch until 11 p.m.

Copyright 2026 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement




`;
}
// –>

Trending Stories

View All BestReviews Picks

Don’t Miss

Advertisement

Latest weather conditions from the KXAN First Warning Weather team



Source link

Continue Reading

Austin, TX

Austin shooting suspect named, timeline of terror revealed after teens’ alleged 28-hour, 12-attack rampage

Published

on

Austin shooting suspect named, timeline of terror revealed after teens’ alleged 28-hour, 12-attack rampage


Texas police have released the mugshot of one of the three juveniles arrested over the weekend in connection with 12 separate shooting incidents across Austin that injured four people, as well as a timeline of the alleged 28-hour rampage.

Cristian Fajardo Mondragon, 17, was taken into custody Sunday after allegedly partaking in a citywide shooting spree that left four people injured, struck two fire stations and triggered a shelter-in-place order in South Austin, the Austin Police Department said in a statement. 

Mondragon was arrested alongside two additional suspects, a 15-year-old and a 16-year-old, police said. Their names have not been released due to a statewide law regarding what information can be made public involving juvenile suspects. 

Saturday, May 16, 2026, 11:30 a.m.

Officers received a report of a stolen firearm from a local business. Surveillance footage subsequently revealed the vehicle driven by the suspects had also recently been stolen, according to authorities. 

Advertisement

Saturday, May 16, 2026, 3:58 p.m.

Less than five hours later, authorities confirmed the first alleged shooting at a trailer residence. However, no injuries were reported. 

Cristian Fajardo Mondragon, 17, is one of three suspects accused in an overnight crime spree involving 12 shootings throughout Austin, Texas, on May 16, 2026. Austin Police Department

Saturday, May 16, 2026, 4:30 p.m.

Officers responded to another shooting at the Whisper Hollow apartment complex, in which multiple vehicles and an occupied apartment were struck by gunfire. Witness descriptions and surveillance footage of the suspects led authorities to believe the two shootings were connected.

Saturday, May 16, 2026, 6:08 p.m.

Approximately two hours later, a third shooting was reported after witnesses observed a suspect wearing a black hoodie exiting a black sedan at another apartment complex and firing through the door of a third-floor unit, police said. 

Saturday, May 16, 2026, 7 p.m.

Authorities said that a group of suspects matching previous surveillance footage of the alleged shootings stole a Hyundai Elantra from a Motel 6 parking lot, with another shooting being reported just 90 minutes later. 

Surveillance footage released by Austin police shows a suspect investigators said was involved in multiple shooting incidents across Austin. Austin Police Department

Saturday, May 16, 2026, 8:49 p.m.

Authorities said a suspect fired a gun into an Austin Fire Department station while firefighters were inside. Thankfully, no injuries were reported.

Advertisement

Saturday, May 16, 2026, 8:55 p.m.

Just six minutes later, authorities received a report that suspects matching the same description had fired shots from their vehicle and struck the windshield of an occupied car. One victim inside the vehicle was injured by broken glass, according to police. 

Sunday, May 17, 2026, 3:50 a.m.

Police said the suspects allegedly stole another vehicle, with authorities discovering a previous vehicle containing bullet damage abandoned near 1800 E. Stassney Lane hours later.

Austin police shared a photo of a white Kia sedan believed to be stolen in connection with 12 shootings throughout Austin, Texas, on May 16, 2026. X / @Austin_Police

Sunday, May 17, 2026, 8:46 a.m.

Authorities received a report regarding a victim who had been shot in the back and stomach near 7409 Janes Ranch Road by a suspect matching previous witness descriptions surrounding the alleged shootings.

Sunday, May 17, 2026, 9 a.m.

Shortly after, officers recovered several other stolen vehicles believed to be connected to the alleged shooting spree.

Sunday, May 17, 2026, 10:46 a.m

A second incident involving shots being fired into another Austin Fire Department station was reported to authorities, with the suspects allegedly stealing yet another vehicle — a white Kia Optima — three hours later. 

Advertisement

Sunday, May 17, 2026, 1:44 p.m. 

Authorities said two victims were shot in a drive-by shooting involving a white Kia Optima, with two additional shootings being reported within 20 minutes.

Sunday, May 17, 2026, 2:29 p.m.

Authorities said surveillance footage showed a white Kia sedan approaching a victim before the individual fell to the ground with an apparent gunshot wound. The victim was subsequently transported to a local hospital with life-threatening injuries. 

Austin Police Chief Lisa Davis speaks during a press conference alongside city officials following a series of shootings across Austin. Austin Police Department / YouTube

Sunday, May 17, 2026, 3:23 p.m.

About one hour later, officers with the Manor Police Department spotted the Kia sedan believed to be connected to the alleged shootings, prompting a pursuit in which the three suspects abandoned the vehicle and fled on foot.

One suspect was immediately detained, with authorities taking the other two individuals into custody separately after a brief search.

The incidents led to the injuries of four people and five vehicles being stolen, police said.

Advertisement

“At this time, investigators believe the incidents were a mix of random and targeted shootings,” APD said in a statement. “Some victims were known to the suspects, while other incidents appeared to occur without any known connection.”

Davis went on to describe the investigation as “complex” because of the sheer number of crime scenes, stolen vehicles and random shootings throughout the city.

Formal charges against the three suspects remain under review, but are expected to include aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, aggravated assault/motor vehicle, deadly conduct, unauthorized use of a motor vehicle, evading arrest, theft of a firearm and other related offenses, APD said. 

Fox News Digital reached out to the Austin Police Department for comment. 

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending