Connect with us

Austin, TX

Alex Jones says Infowars could be shut down within hours

Published

on

Alex Jones says Infowars could be shut down within hours


In what he described as an “emergency broadcast” on Saturday, conspiracy theorist Alex Jones claimed that his far-right news company, Infowars’, studios in Austin, Texas, might be shut down by federal authorities soon.

“This is going to be Infowars’ last show, because I learned yesterday that they were going to padlock the door and kick us out last night,” Jones said while on Infowars on Saturday.

On the same day, Friday, May 31, the news outlet published an article saying it might be shut down in 48 hours.

Newsweek contacted Infowars by email on Sunday morning for comment and any evidence of the alleged attempt to shut down the company’s studios .

Advertisement
Infowars founder Alex Jones on September 21, 2022, in Waterbury, Connecticut. Jones has claimed that federal authorities were going to shut down his studios in Austin, Texas, on Friday night.

Joe Buglewicz/Getty Images

Jones said that he spotted “guards looking at me weird” at the entrance of the Infowars building and believed that his company was going to be shut down.

“I went with my instinct[…]and discovered this plan to shut us down,” he said, after mentioning he questioned the guards about what was happening on Friday night.

“I discovered this and a bunch of other stuff that I haven’t released yet,” he added. He claimed he spent the night at the studios to prevent them from being shut down, and threatened to call local police.

The Infowars host said he had all the evidence to prove the alleged attempt to shut down his studios, but did not seem so sure that it would actually be happening himself. “There’s a 50 percent chance this is happening right now,” Jones said in a post published on X, formerly Twitter, on Saturday.

“They want us shut down because in bankruptcy and what was happening we have a path with the judge to continue on for years, and the judge has signaled that. So, different groups involved in the bankruptcy that will be exposed soon have literally made a move to shut this place down and end my show,” he added.

Advertisement

Jones claimed that “the deep state” was “making a move to shut down Infowars” after allegedly going after Donald Trump, who on Thursday was found guilty by a New York jury on 34 counts of falsifying business records over a hush money payment made to adult film star Stormy Daniels ahead of the 2016 presidential election.

While on air on Saturday, the conspiracy theorist broke into tears. “We’re going to beat these people. I’m not trying to be dramatic, but it’s been a hard fight,” Jones said.

“I’ve been targeted for abuse. I was duped by someone. Federal files in secret have claimed that I’m committing crimes. This was untrue, of course[…]This may be my final performance.”

Jones received the immediate support of MAGA Republican Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene of Georgia, who posted a photo with Jones on X writing: “I stand with Alex Jones.”

Greene is known to have shared several wild conspiracy theories in previous years, including claiming that Parkland survivor and activist David Hogg was a “paid actor” in a stage mass shooting.

Advertisement

Newsweek contacted Greene’s spokesperson for comment by email on Sunday morning.

Jones is currently facing huge legal expenses after being ordered in 2022 to pay nearly $1.5 billion for calling the 2012 Sandy Hook school shooting in Connecticut a hoax.

Later in the same year, the Infowars host filed for personal bankruptcy, a move that is often used to stave off legal judgments. But in October 2023, U.S. Bankruptcy Court Judge Christopher Lopez in Houston, Texas, ruled that Jones is not protected by the bankruptcy and still needs to pay the nearly $1.5 billion in damages to families affected by the Sandy Hook shooting.

Since then, he has been scrambling to handle the payments. In December, Jones proposed a settlement that would pay the families at least $5.5 million every year over 10 years, but the plaintiffs said the offer fell “woefully short.”

Last week, he obtained approval for the $2.8-million sale of his Texas ranch. The money will be put into an escrow account to pay for his legal expenses.

Advertisement

Uncommon Knowledge

Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.

Newsweek is committed to challenging conventional wisdom and finding connections in the search for common ground.



Source link

Advertisement

Austin, TX

Texas vs. Texas A&M rivalry reignites excitement among fans tailgating for game

Published

on

Texas vs. Texas A&M rivalry reignites excitement among fans tailgating for game


The excitement around the Texas vs. Texas A&M game returned to the 40 acres this weekend. After students camped outside the stadium to secure prime seats, the tailgate lots were full up with Longhorns and Aggies fans alike.

“Go Horns!” exclaimed Darrick Price from UT Tailgaters, celebrating the reunion with “little brother.” Laura McWha, a Texas A&M fan, added, “WHOOP!!” as Aggies traveled from College Station for the game.

Price noted, “It feels amazing. We’re so happy that little brother’s back in town.” The rivalry, restored last year, has friends and family rooting against each other in what is the biggest home game for Texas this year. “I have a senior now who’s considering which school he wants to go to, and I just think it means everything for this city,” Price said.

PREVIOUS COVERAGE| Longhorns vs. Aggies tickets soar as fans prepare for epic showdown

Advertisement

McWha expressed confidence, saying, “We’ve been doing great this season….We’re gonna show what we’ve got.”

This was about as fiery as the smack talk got today as fans enjoyed communing with their frenemies in the lots.

Lanece Marley, another A&M fan, shared, “I think it’s wonderful. We love coming. We love celebrating with these guys.”

Hannah Morgan, an Austin-native and Aggie grad, reflected on her divided household, saying, “Oh yes I know what it means. It means everything to us.” With a father and brother who went to UT-Austin, Morgan says she successfully converted her mother over to rooting for the Aggies. Morgan also anticipated the game, stating, “I think it’s going to be really sweet to get revenge… to beat them at home would be a big deal for us.”

Texas won last year’s matchup in College Station, which was the first meeting between the two schools since 2011.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Austin, TX

Texas A&M Corps of Cadets carrying the Lone Star Showdown game ball to Austin

Published

on

Texas A&M Corps of Cadets carrying the Lone Star Showdown game ball to Austin


COLLEGE STATION, Texas (KBTX) – Football is a big tradition on Thanksgiving Day, and while the Aggies didn’t play, the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets were helping the team get ready by going on a journey to Austin.

Around 80 members of the corps gathered at a lot near Kyle Field at 7:30 p.m. on Thanksgiving Day, where they would begin a 100-mile relay-style event. Broken up into teams, they’ll run to the Corps’ march staging area in Austin, escorted by police, with the plan to be there by 11 a.m.

From there, they will march in with the fightin’ Texas Aggie Band to finish the delivery.

“The goal of this is to be able to inspire the next generation of Aggies and to be able to encourage the entire campus. The entire Aggie network is brought together because we, as the Corps, were inspiring and helping our Aggie team, the football team, as they get ready to take on Texas,” said Carson Seiber, a member of the Texas A&M Corps of Cadets and event coordinator.

Advertisement

Seiber said since he was a freshman who learned A&M would be playing Texas in Austin his senior year, it was his dream to bring back the tradition that he said started over two decades ago.

“I had this dream, and I kind of talked to people, and now that it’s my senior year, I really had an idea about why not bring the tradition back, why not kind of leave a mark, leave a legacy on the Corp and Texas A&M that hasn’t really happened in a long time,” Seiber said.

The plan really finalized itself about a week ago, but was pitched two months ago. He said what really separates Texas A&M University from every other school is its core values.

“I think it’s been really cool to see the fact that when the Aggies are successful, we see our Aggies support each other, but also in times when are Aggies have not been good at football or tragedies like bonefire, our Aggies are there in victory or defeat,” Seiber said.

The Aggies will take on the Texas Longhorns tomorrow at 6:30 p.m.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Austin, TX

Taylor residents sue to halt proposed data center

Published

on

Taylor residents sue to halt proposed data center


TAYLOR, Texas — A proposed data center in Central Texas is getting a lot of pushback from residents. Approximately 40 minutes north of Austin, a group of neighbors in the city of Taylor sued the data center. They are pushing back against the data center that could soon be under construction roughly 500 feet from their neighborhood.

“This property is supposed to be deeded for parkland,” said Pamela Griffin, a resident in the neighborhood next to where the data center will be built. “This land was given to this community.”

The 87-acre land near Griffin’s community is embroiled in a legal battle between her and Blueprint Data Centers.

“We do not need a data center,” Griffin said. “I’m not against them, but we don’t need them in our community.”

Advertisement

Despite Griffin’s land deed lawsuit, a Texas judge has ruled in favor of the proposed project.

“When a judge dismisses a lawsuit because the plaintiff or the plaintiffs lack standing, what the judge means is you’re not a person who has the legal authority to bring this lawsuit,” said Mike Golden, a law professor at the University of Texas at Austin.

Griffin and other neighbors argue the data center will take away natural resources like water and what was supposed to be the future site of a park, so her fight is not over.

“We are going to the appellate court now,” Griffin said. “We did file.”

Griffin is passionate about advocating for the community because it’s the neighborhood she was born and raised in. Her grandmother bought property there in the early 1960s, and the community became a safe haven for Black people in Taylor.

Advertisement

“We weren’t allowed to be in the city limits at that time because they would not sell to the Black and brown community, so my grandmother realized they had to buy land outside,” she said.

She worries about the future of her small community now that construction of a 135,000-square-foot data center will begin within the next year.

It’s a project the city says will bring millions in revenue to Taylor.

“What data centers do to a community is it brings an influx of new revenue to all the taxing entities, including the city, the county and especially the school district,” said Ben White, the president and CEO of the Taylor Economic Development Corporation.

He explained how the revenue might benefit the city.

Advertisement

“City council will have the ultimate say on how those revenues are spent, but it could involve new parks for citizens, improve streets for the citizens, improve programs for the citizens,” he said. “There’ll be a lot of variety of different uses of those funds the council could decide to use them on.”

White also addressed the controversy surrounding the deed when asked about it by Spectrum News.

“We feel comfortable that EDC, we did everything correctly on our side,” he said.

Griffin now awaits the Third Court of Appeals to decide on her case.

“I’m asking for the community and the Taylor people to stick together and understand my fight against this data center coming into our community,” Griffin said.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending