Connect with us

Politics

Head of Paul, Weiss Says Firm Would Not Have Survived Without Deal With Trump

Published

on

Head of Paul, Weiss Says Firm Would Not Have Survived Without Deal With Trump

The head of the elite New York law firm that cut a highly criticized deal with President Trump last week asserted on Sunday that he made the agreement because the firm was unlikely to survive a protracted legal fight with the Trump administration.

Brad Karp, the managing partner of the firm, Paul, Weiss said in an email to its lawyers that it was initially prepared to fight an executive order Mr. Trump had signed that essentially crippled the firm’s ability to represent clients.

But the firm’s clients were deeply concerned that even if Paul, Weiss won in court, it would still be labeled “persona non grata with the administration,” Mr. Karp said. He said that would potentially prompt clients to move their businesses to rival firms and cause Paul, Weiss to go under.

The email — the second Mr. Karp has sent to his firm in four days in which he has tried to explain the deal — demonstrated his efforts to stem the fallout, both internally and externally, from his decision to strike the agreement with Mr. Trump.

Some members of Mr. Karp’s firm — particularly litigators — had pushed to fight the order in court, arguing that a judge would quickly block Mr. Trump’s executive order. But members of the corporate practice — who account for a significant part of the firm’s revenue — insisted that Mr. Karp reach a deal to prevent clients from fleeing.

Advertisement

Mr. Karp, a prominent Democratic donor, had worked to harness the legal community against Mr. Trump during his first term and, in the past election cycle, to elect his Democratic opponent, Kamala Harris. Critics have sharply criticized Mr. Karp and the firm — which had $2.63 billion in revenue last year and represents corporate clients like Exxon Mobil and Apollo Global Management — for too quickly bending to the president instead of fighting him in court, where a judge had already ruled that his executive order was likely illegal.

But Mr. Karp said in the email that even if a judge did block Mr. Trump’s order, the firm’s clients would be too scared of being perceived as being on the wrong side of the Trump administration to continue working with Paul, Weiss.

The claims from Mr. Karp underscored the power and effectiveness of Mr. Trump’s efforts to target law firms with executive orders over the past month, signaling that even the courts could not stop the president from potentially putting firms out of business if they did not capitulate to his administration’s demands.

“We initially prepared to challenge the executive order in court, and a team of Paul, Weiss attorneys prepared a lawsuit in the finest traditions of the firm,” Mr. Karp said in the email. “But it became clear that, even if we were successful in initially enjoining the executive order in litigation, it would not solve the fundamental problem, which was that clients perceived our firm as being persona non grata with the administration.”

Mr. Karp said that while the firm could stop the order from taking effect, “we couldn’t erase it.”

Advertisement

“Clients had told us that they were not going to be able to stay with us, even though they wanted to,” Mr. Karp said in the email. “It was very likely that our firm would not be able to survive a protracted dispute with the administration.”

The firm, formally called Paul, Weiss, Rifkind, Wharton & Garrison LLP, has offices around the world. Its work involves mergers and acquisitions, private equity, white-collar and regulatory defense and litigation. Its clients also include Citigroup, Imagine Entertainment and Lucasfilm.

A week ago, Mr. Trump signed an executive order that essentially barred Paul, Weiss’s lawyers from entering federal buildings and dealing with the government. The order also said that companies doing business with Paul, Weiss could lose their government contracts.

Last Wednesday, Mr. Karp met with Mr. Trump in the Oval Office, and on Thursday, the president announced that Paul, Weiss had committed to represent clients regardless of their political views and would commit $40 million in pro bono legal work to causes Mr. Trump championed, including fighting antisemitism and helping veterans.

After the deal was announced on Thursday, Mr. Karp was widely criticized as capitulating to Mr. Trump and leaving other firms vulnerable.

Advertisement

Mr. Karp said in the email that the deal “was unambiguously in our clients’ best interests.” He said that thousands of the firm’s clients had reacted with relief to the “resolution of this situation and the fact that, as the president publicly has acknowledged, our firm now has an engaged and constructive relationship with this administration.”

“Even those who have expressed personal disappointment that we didn’t fight the administration have said they fully appreciate what was at stake for our law firm and respect our decision,” Mr. Karp said in his email.

Politics

Rep Troy Nehls, a Trump ally, will not seek re-election as twin brother announces campaign to replace him

Published

on

Rep Troy Nehls, a Trump ally, will not seek re-election as twin brother announces campaign to replace him

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Rep. Troy Nehls, R-Texas, announced on Saturday that he will not seek re-election in 2026 so he can focus on his family, and his own twin brother subsequently revealed his candidacy to fill the open seat.

The congressman said he made the decision after speaking with his family over Thanksgiving. He has served in the U.S. House since 2021.

“After more than 30 years in law enforcement serving and protecting my community as a police officer, constable, Fort Bend County Sheriff, an Army veteran, and six years representing this district in Congress, I have made the decision, after conversations with my beautiful bride and my girls over the Thanksgiving holiday, to focus on my family and return home after this Congress,” he wrote on X.

An ally of President Donald Trump, Nehls said he notified the commander-in-chief of his plans before making his announcement public.

Advertisement

SENIOR REPUBLICAN SAYS HE’LL ‘MISS THE CLOWNS,’ NOT ‘THE CIRCUS’ AS HE EYES LIFE AFTER CONGRESS

Rep. Troy Nehls, R-Texas, announced that he will not seek re-election in 2026. (Getty Images)

“Before making this decision, I called President Trump personally to let him know of my plans,” Nehls said. “President Trump has always been a strong ally for our district and a true friend, and I wanted him to hear it from me first.”

“Serving this country in the military, serving our community in law enforcement, and serving this district in Congress has been the honor of my life,” he continued. “Thank you for your trust, your friendship, and your prayers.”

Nehls, 57, has been a big supporter of Trump’s mass deportation agenda. The House Judiciary Committee advanced his legislation earlier this month that would remove barriers to illegal migrant deportations. Sen. Marsha Blackburn, R-Tenn., introduced a similar measure in the Senate.

Advertisement

TEXAS RACE TO REPLACE DECEASED DEMOCRAT ADVANCES TO RUNOFF

Rep. Troy Nehls said he notified President Donald Trump of his plans before making his announcement public. (Nathan Posner/Getty Images)

The congressman also co-sponsored a bill to put Trump on the $100 bill to honor the president. He also called for renaming Dulles International Airport after Trump and for the Republican Party to support whatever Trump says or does.

Nehls previously served as a member of the U.S. Army Reserves and was deployed to combat tours in Iraq and Afghanistan. He also worked in law enforcement for many years.

The Texas congressman joins a growing list of Republican lawmakers who have decided not to retain their seat, including Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., who announced earlier this month amid her feud with Trump that she would step down in January.

Advertisement

The Texas congressman joins a growing list of Republican lawmakers who have decided not to retain their seat. (Nathan Howard/Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

After Nehls announced his plans to retire, his identical twin brother, Trever Nehls, said he would be running for his brother’s seat.

“I am honored to announce my candidacy for Congressional District 22 to continue fighting for the people of this district,” he wrote on Facebook. “District 22 needs a Representative who will follow in Troy’s footsteps and stand shoulder-to-shoulder with President Trump to defend our conservative values, secure the border, protect our families, and oppose the reckless and radical agenda that Democrats continue to press upon the American people. I’m ready to take up that fight.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

Pondering a run for governor, Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta faces questions about legal spending

Published

on

Pondering a run for governor, Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta faces questions about legal spending

As California Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta ponders a run for governor, he faces scrutiny for his ties to people central to a federal corruption investigation in Oakland and payments to private attorneys.

Bonta has not been accused of impropriety, but the questions come at an inopportune time for the Democrat, who says he is reassessing a gubernatorial bid after repeatedly dismissing a run earlier this year.

Bonta said the decisions by former Vice President Kamala Harris and Sen. Alex Padilla not to seek the office altered the contours of the race.

“I had two horses in the governor’s race already,” Bonta said in an interview with The Times on Friday. “They decided not to get involved in the end. … The race is fundamentally different today, right?”

Bonta said he has received significant encouragement to join the crowded gubernatorial field and that he expects to make a decision “definitely sooner rather than later.” Political advisors to the 54-year-old Alameda politician have been reaching out to powerful Democrats across the state to gauge his possible support.

Advertisement

Historically, serving as California attorney general has been a launching pad to higher office or a top post in Washington. Harris, elected to two terms as the state attorney general, was later elected to the U.S. Senate and then as vice president. Jerry Brown served in the post before voters elected him for a second go-around as governor in 2010. Earl Warren later became the chief justice of the Supreme Court.

Bonta, the first Filipino American to serve as the state’s top law enforcement official, was appointed in March 2021 by Gov. Gavin Newsom after Xavier Becerra resigned to become U.S. Health and Human Services secretary. Bonta easily won election as attorney general in 2022.

Bonta was a deputy city attorney in San Francisco and vice mayor for the city of Alameda before being elected to the state Assembly in 2012. During his tenure representing the Alameda area, Bonta developed a reputation as a progressive willing to push policies to strengthen tenants’ rights and to reform the criminal justice system.

In his role as the state’s top law enforcement official, Bonta has aggressively fought President Trump’s policies and actions, filing 46 lawsuits against the administration.

Bonta also faced controversy this past week in what his advisors say they suspect is an attempt to damage him as he considers a potential run.

Advertisement

“Political hacks understand it’s actually a badge of respect, almost an endorsement. Clearly others fear him,” said veteran Democratic strategist Dan Newman, a Bonta advisor.

On Monday, KCRA reported that Bonta had spent nearly $500,000 in campaign funds last year on personal lawyers to represent him in dealings with federal investigators working on a public corruption probe in Oakland.

On Thursday, the website East Bay Insider reported that as that probe was heating up in spring 2024, Bonta had received a letter from an Oakland businessman warning him that he might soon be subject to blackmail.

The letter writer, Mario Juarez, warned Bonta that another businessman, Andy Duong, possessed “a recording of you in a compromising situation.”

Duong was later indicted, along with his father David Duong and former Oakland Mayor Sheng Thao, on federal bribery charges. All have pleaded not guilty. An attorney for David Duong this week said that Juarez, who is widely believed to be an informant in the case against the Duongs and Thao, was not credible. Juarez could not be reached for comment.

Advertisement

Bonta said his legal expenditures came about after he began speaking with the U.S. attorney’s office, which approached him because prosecutors thought he could be a victim of blackmail or extortion. Bonta said the outreach came after he had turned over the letter he had received from Juarez to law enforcement.

Bonta said he hired lawyers to help him review information in his possession that could be helpful to federal investigators.

“I wanted to get them all the information that they wanted, that they needed, give it to them as fast as I could, to assist, to help,” Bonta said. “Maybe I had a puzzle piece or two that could assist them in their investigation.”

He said he may have made “an audible gasp” when he saw the legal bill, but that it was necessary to quickly turn over all documents and communications that could be relevant to the federal investigation.

“The billing rate is high or not insignificant at private law firms,” Bonta said. “We were moving quickly to be as responsive as possible, to be as helpful as possible, to assist as much as possible, and that meant multiple attorneys working a lot of hours.”

Advertisement

Bonta said the state’s Fair Political Practices Commission also has alerted him that it received a complaint against him. Bonta and his advisors believe it is about the use of campaign funds to pay the legal expenses and suspect it was filed by the campaign of a current gubernatorial candidate.

“We’re not worried,” Bonta said. “That’s politics.”

Asked whether these news stories could create obstacles to a potential gubernatorial campaign, Bonta pushed back against any assertion that he may have “baggage.” He said he was assisting federal prosecutors with their investigation with the hope of holding people accountable.

“That’s what I would expect anyone to do, certainly someone who is committed as I am to public safety,” he said. “That’s my job, to assist, to support, to provide information, to help.”

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Politics

USCIS halts ‘all asylum decisions’ after DC shooting of National Guard members

Published

on

USCIS halts ‘all asylum decisions’ after DC shooting of National Guard members

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) announced on Friday that it has halted all asylum decisions following the shooting in Washington, D.C., in which an Afghan national was accused of shooting two National Guard members, including one who died from her injuries.

USCIS Director Joseph B. Edlow said the asylum decisions would be suspended “until we can ensure that every alien is vetted and screened to the maximum degree possible.”

“The safety of the American people always comes first,” he wrote on X.

The pause comes amid a broader immigration crackdown signaled by President Donald Trump, who on Thursday vowed to halt migration from “Third World countries” and reverse Biden-era admissions.

Advertisement

STATE DEPARTMENT ‘IMMEDIATELY’ HALTS ALL AFGHAN PASSPORT VISAS FOLLOWING DEADLY NATIONAL GUARD ATTACK

National Guard members Sarah Beckstrom, 20, and Andrew Wolfe, 24, were shot in Washington, D.C., on Wednesday. (United States Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia/Chip Somodevilla/Getty Images)

Edlow said on Thursday that officials would reexamine green cards issued to immigrants from every “country of concern,” including Afghanistan. USCIS also implemented new national security measures to be considered while vetting immigrants from “high risk” countries.

“I have directed a full scale, rigorous reexamination of every Green Card for every alien from every country of concern,” he wrote.

ATF and Secret Service officers are seen after two National Guard soldiers were shot near the White House in Washington, D.C., Wednesday, Nov. 26, 2025.  (Evan Vucci/AP)

Advertisement

The Department of Homeland Security also said it had already halted all immigration requests from Afghanistan and was in the process of reviewing all asylum cases approved under the Biden administration.

Additionally, the Department of State has paused all visas for people traveling on Afghan passports in response to the attack against the National Guard members.

“The Department of State has IMMEDIATELY paused visa issuance for individuals traveling on Afghan passports,” the agency wrote. “The Department is taking all necessary steps to protect U.S. national security and public safety.”

National Guard member Sarah Beckstrom, 20, of West Virginia, died after the shooting on Wednesday in the nation’s capital, while the second service member wounded in the attack, Andrew Wolfe, 24, is still in critical condition.

The alleged gunman, Rahmanullah Lakanwal, 29, faces multiple charges, including one count of first-degree murder and two counts of assault with intent to kill while armed. Attorney General Pam Bondi said that the Justice Department would pursue the death penalty against the suspect.

Advertisement

WHO IS THE DC NATIONAL GUARDSMEN SHOOTING SUSPECT? WHAT TO KNOW ABOUT AFGHAN NATIONAL RAHMANULLAH LAKANWAL

Undated file photo of Rahmanullah Lakanwal, the suspect in the shooting of two National Guard soldiers in Washington, D.C., November 26, 2025. (Provided by Department of Justice)

Lakanwal entered the U.S. legally in 2021 under humanitarian parole as part of the Biden administration’s Operation Allies Welcome, following the U.S. withdrawal from Afghanistan.

He was vetted by the CIA in Afghanistan for his work with the agency and again for his asylum application in the U.S. A senior U.S. official told Fox News he was “clean on all checks” in his background check.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

Lakanwal had his asylum application approved by the Trump administration earlier this year.

A report released by the Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General in June found there were “no systemic failures” in Afghan refugee vetting or subsequent immigration pathways.

Continue Reading

Trending