Connect with us

New Hampshire

Keller: Is Jan. 6 a topic that will work for Republicans this fall? Not in New Hampshire

Published

on

Keller: Is Jan. 6 a topic that will work for Republicans this fall? Not in New Hampshire


The opinions expressed below are Jon Keller’s, not those of WBZ, CBS News or Paramount Global.

BOSTON – “Let’s not forget who assaulted democracy on January 6th – [Trump] did,” said Rep. Nancy Pelosi in her speech at the Democratic National Convention.

New Pelosi footage released

But as part of their ongoing effort to shift blame for the Capitol riot away from Donald Trump, a Republican-headed oversight committee has released previously unaired video footage of the then-House Speaker, which was turned over to Congress by HBO and obtained by CBS News. It shows a livid Pelosi citing her “responsibility” to protect the House and bemoaning the absence of National Guard troops who might have kept the Capitol Police from being overwhelmed by the mob.

The Republicans claim that proves is was Pelosi who was negligent, not Trump. But former Republican Congressman Adam Kinzinger, a member of the bipartisan commission that investigated the events of that day, said that’s false: “The DC National Guard is controlled by one person – the President of the United States.” 

Advertisement

Will Jan. 6 work for GOP in New Hampshire?

Is Jan. 6 a topic that can work for Republicans this fall?

At their convention, Democrats featured multiple speeches about the riot, including Capitol police officers who tried to hold off the rioters. And in the days and weeks that followed, the top Republicans in Congress took turns blaming and denouncing Trump for sparking the siege.

But instead of changing the subject, Trump has made support for the rioters a part of his campaign, promising to pardon them if elected.

And an expert on New Hampshire politics said keeping Jan. 6 front and center won’t help Trump win wavering swing voters there.

“That’s not their politics, the politics of grievance,” said UNH professor Dante Scala. “Their politics, I think, is a lot more about the politics of normalcy. People who normally vote Republican, they don’t necessarily want to rehash January 6, they’d rather put January 6 down the memory hole. The thing is, the best way to do that is to vote for Harris. The best way to do that is to turn the page.” 

Advertisement

Going after Pelosi will surely excite the core Trump base for whom she is a satanic figure. 

But Trump already has those voters locked up. 

The Harris campaign features the word “forward,” asking voters to move past the Trump era (and maybe the Biden era as well). But even as Trump urges voters to recall the “good old days” when he was president, Harris also wants swing voters in swing states like New Hampshire to remember days like January 6th, when Trump lived up to the nickname Niki Haley gave him during the primaries – “chaos agent.” 

Advertisement



Source link

New Hampshire

Drunk driver faces felony charge after I-95 pursuit in New Hampshire

Published

on

Drunk driver faces felony charge after I-95 pursuit in New Hampshire


HAMPTON, New Hampshire (WGME) — New Hampshire State Police say they arrested a Massachusetts man driving over 120 mph while drunk on I-95.

At around 10:21 p.m. Thursday night in Hampton, police reportedly tried to stop Mason Hebert of Boxford, Massachusetts, 22, who was speeding north on the interstate, but Mason refused to stop.

Police say they chased Hebert’s BMW, which had its lights off, down I-95 as Hebert continued to speed and drive erratically.

Hebert reportedly left the highway via Exit 5 towards Portsmouth, and then traveled south on Route 1.

Advertisement

The police say they stopped chasing Hebert for safety reasons but soon after found the car behind a business off Lafayette Road.

Hebert was charged with a felony count of reckless conduct and misdemeanor counts of aggravated driving under the influence of liquor and disobeying an officer.

Hebert was reportedly taken to Rockingham County Jail.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

New Hampshire

Mass. man accused of driving 120 mph while drunk, leading NH police on chase

Published

on

Mass. man accused of driving 120 mph while drunk, leading NH police on chase


A Massachusetts man has been charged for allegedly leading police on a high-speed chase in New Hampshire while driving under the influence, according to state troopers.

Mason Hebert, 22, of Boxford, was arrested following the pursuit Thursday night. He’s now facing multiple charges, including reckless conduct, aggravated driving under the influence of liquor and disobeying an officer, according to a news release from New Hampshire State Police.

Police said that a trooper caught Hebert’s BMW going more than 120 mph on I-95 north in Hampton, New Hampshire at around 10:30 p.m. Thursday. He allegedly did not stop when the trooper tried to pull him over, resulting in a pursuit down the highway, which was eventually called off due to safety.

Authorities found his car behind a business off Lafeyette Road, and he was arrested.

Advertisement

Hebert was held in Rockingham County Jail, pending a hearing that was scheduled for Friday in Portsmouth District Court.

An investigation is ongoing. Anyone with information can get in touch with Trooper Cameron Vetter at Cameron.S.Vetter@dos.nh.gov.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

New Hampshire

Video shows man robbing pizza restaurant at gunpoint in Dover, New Hampshire

Published

on

Video shows man robbing pizza restaurant at gunpoint in Dover, New Hampshire



Surveillance video shows a man robbing a pizza restaurant in Dover, New Hampshire, at gunpoint on Wednesday evening. 

It happened at Papa Jay’s Pizzeria on Broadway Street just after 7 p.m. Dover Police said that the suspect entered through a back door into the kitchen area before threatening the employees with the gun. Surveillance video shows the suspect instructing an employee to open the cash register and put all of the money into a bag, including the change from the drawer. 

An employee takes cash out of the register while the suspect stands close by.

Advertisement

Papa Jay’s Pizzeria


The suspect then leaves through the same door before heading north, according to police.

The suspect could also be seen smacking something out of an employee’s hand during the video. Police said that no one was hurt during the incident and no gunshots were fired. The amount of money taken is unknown. 

Papa Jay’s Pizzeria took to Facebook after the incident, posting several surveillance video angles and asking for the public’s help in identifying the suspect. Police said that the video, once released to the public, “developed information leading them to arrest” 36-year-old Brice Charest from Dover. Charest was arrested at his home and charged with robbery. He is due in Dover District Court at 9 a.m. on Friday. 

Advertisement

Anyone with any additional information about the robbery is asked to call Dover Police at 603-742-4646. 

Dover, New Hampshire is located approximately 66 miles north of Boston. It is near the Maine and New Hampshire border. The city has a population of under 33,000



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending