Connect with us

Maine

Maine school officials refuse to comply with Trump's ultimatum to ban transgender athletes from girls sports

Published

on

Maine school officials refuse to comply with Trump's ultimatum to ban transgender athletes from girls sports


Officials at a school district in Maine announced Thursday that the district will not comply with a proposed agreement with President Donald Trump’s administration that would bar transgender athletes from participating in girls sports.

Maine School Administrative District 51, home to Greely High School, where a transgender athlete incited national controversy after winning a girls pole vault competition in February, said it is not complying and will instead “continue to follow state law and the Maine Human Rights Act.”

“To our students: Thank you for your maturity, perseverance and dedication to learning through these distractions. Please continue to lead the way,” the district said in a statement.

The Maine Principals’ Association said in a statement it is also “bound by the law, including the Maine Human Rights Act, which our participation policy reflects.” 

Advertisement

CLICK HERE FOR MORE SPORTS COVERAGE ON FOXNEWS.COM 

The institutions have opted to defy Trump’s order despite recent data suggesting the majority of Maine residents oppose transgender athletes in girls sports. 

A survey by the American Parents Coalition found that out of about 600 registered Maine voters, 63% said school sports participation should be based on biological sex, and 66% agreed it’s “only fair to restrict women’s sports to biological women.”

MAINE GIRL INVOLVED IN TRANS ATHLETE BATTLE REVEALS HOW STATE’S POLICIES HURT HER CHILDHOOD AND SPORTS CAREER

The poll also found that 60% of residents would support a ballot measure limiting participation in women’s and girls sports to biological females. This included 64% of independents and 66% of parents with kids under age 18.

Advertisement

The situation involving a trans athlete at Greely High School attracted national attention after Maine Republican state Rep. Laurel Libby identified the athlete by name with a photograph in a social media post in February.

Police protection was later assigned to the school over safety concerns. 

The Maine legislature then censured Libby for the post, and she has since filed a lawsuit seeking to have the censure overturned. 

A feud between Trump and Maine Gov. Janet Mills began Feb. 20 during a GOP meeting of governors, when Trump threatened to cut federal funding to the state for not banning trans athletes from girls and women’s sports. 

The next day, Mills’ office responded with a statement threatening legal action against the Trump administration if it did withhold federal funding from the state. Then, Trump and Mills verbally sparred in a widely publicized argument at the White House during a bipartisan meeting of governors.

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

“Are you not going to comply with that?” Trump asked Mills.

Since then, multiple protests against Mills have been held outside the state Capitol, and the Maine University System has cooperated with the Trump administration to ensure no trans athletes compete in women’s sports after a temporary funding pause. 

Last week, the U.S. Health and Human Services’ Office of Civil Rights (OCR) announced it found the Maine Department of Education, the Maine Principals’ Association and Greely High School in violation of Title IX for continuing to enable trans inclusion in girls sports. 

The announcement warned that the state had 10 days to correct its policies through a signed agreement or risk referral to the U.S. Department of Justice for appropriate action. That deadline passed Thursday. 

Advertisement

OCR acting Director Anthony Archeval previously provided a statement to Fox News Digital warning of potential consequences for continued defiance of the executive order. 

“What HHS is asking of the Maine Department of Education, the Maine Principals’ Association (MPA) and Greely High School is simple — protect female athletes’ rights. Girls deserve girls-only sports without male competitors. And if Maine won’t come to the table to voluntarily comply with Title IX, HHS will enforce Title IX to the fullest extent permitted by the law,” Archeval said. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement





Source link

Maine

Opinion: Trump tariffs jeopardize our ability to keep the lights on in northern Maine

Published

on

Opinion: Trump tariffs jeopardize our ability to keep the lights on in northern Maine


The BDN Opinion section operates independently and does not set news policies or contribute to reporting or editing articles elsewhere in the newspaper or on bangordailynews.com

G. Melvin Hovey is a retired Maine Public Service Company executive.

Maine and New Brunswick are not at war with one another. We are friends and neighbors. And until the Trump administration initiated a trade war with Canada, we had no reason to fear a disruption in our electricity supply from New Brunswick. Yet here we are.

The New Brunswick provincial government is seriously considering shutting off the flow of electricity from New Brunswick into northern Maine. Specifically, Canadian officials said they could not rule out this possibility as retaliation for the U.S. imposing tariffs on imports from Canada. This would have a devastating impact on 58,000 Maine consumers who live and work in communities near the Canadian border and depend on New Brunswick to keep their lights on.

Advertisement

These Mainers have done nothing to deserve this. They simply live and work near the Canadian border.

I spent 37 years working for Maine Public Service Company (now part of Versant Power), the last 11 years as its president. We worked hard to keep the lights on in Aroostook County and keep electricity prices affordable. Part of our strategy was developing a mutually beneficial partnership with the Province of New Brunswick to share resources for the benefit of both New Brunswick and Aroostook County consumers.

They would provide us with their surplus electricity when it was cheaper for them to generate than for us to do so. They would also transmit through New Brunswick to Aroostook County our share of electricity from generators we owned in southern Maine and New Hampshire, including Maine Yankee, Wyman 4 and Seabrook. As a result, our need for generating capacity located inside Aroostook County was limited. And we were always ready to supply them with any surplus electricity from our generators, should they ever need it.

Over time, we built up a high level of mutual trust that benefited electricity consumers on both sides of the international boundary. Because of this relationship, Aroostook County was never electrically connected to the rest of Maine; instead, we were connected to New Brunswick. As a result, Aroostook County depends heavily on electricity imported from New Brunswick.

The tariffs imposed by our own federal government risk harming our close working relationship with New Brunswick and, more significantly, the ability to keep the lights on in Aroostook County. In the event New Brunswick stops the flow of electricity into Maine, there is not enough generating capacity in Northern Maine to keep all the lights on; preserve all our food; keep all our heating systems energized; keep our stores open; keep our businesses running; and keep our citizens employed. It may be spring, but it’s still cold in Northern Maine.

Advertisement

As a lifelong Republican, I’m stunned that a Republican administration would initiate federal intervention in local markets. I never thought I would see the day when a Republican president would impose tariffs (taxes) to the detriment of hard-working, innocent Maine consumers. But things have changed.

It boggles the mind that we, as a nation, would turn on our most trusted ally. In border states across the country, we are driving a stake through local economies and even families. Border towns often behave as one large community. Frequently people live on one side of the border and work on the other. Families extend across the border.

In the case of Aroostook County and the Province of New Brunswick, our electric utilities share resources to the benefit of all the ratepayers of both utilities. If the tariffs imposed by Washington lead to New Brunswick retaliating by cutting off electricity to Maine, our northern residents will pay the price of this tariff war.

I urge all my friends and former colleagues to speak up and demand that our congressional delegation use all available resources to stop the president from putting innocent Maine consumers in the middle of his political battle with Ottawa and thereby risk plunging Aroostook County into darkness and a catastrophic black out.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Maine

Social Security’s acting leader faces calls to resign over decision to cut Maine contracts

Published

on


WASHINGTON (AP) — The Social Security Administration’s acting commissioner is facing calls to resign after he issued an order — which was quickly rescinded — that would have required Maine parents to register their newborns for Social Security numbers at a federal office rather than the hospital.

Newly unearthed emails show that the March 5 decision was made as political payback to Maine’s Governor Janet Mills, who has defied the Trump administration’s push to deny federal funding to the state over transgender athletes.

In the email addressed to the agency’s staff, acting commissioner Leland Dudek, said, “no money will go from the public trust to a petulant child.” Staff members warned that terminating the contracts would result in improper payments and the potential for identity theft.

Dudek’s order initially drew widespread condemnation from medical organizations and public officials, who described it as unnecessary and punitive. The practice of allowing parents to register a newborn for a Social Security number at a hospital or other birthing site, called the Enumeration at Birth program, has been common for decades.

Advertisement

Democratic Rep. Chellie Pingree, one of two House members from Maine, said Dudek should resign immediately. She characterized Dudek’s actions as retaliation for Mills publicly opposing President Donald Trump.

“If a federal agency can be turned into a political hit squad at the whim of an acting appointee, what checks remain on executive power? Commissioner Dudek’s vindictive actions against Maine represent a fundamental betrayal of public trust that disqualifies him from public service,” Pingree said.

Mills said Wednesday that Social Security is being subjected to “rushed and reckless cuts” and needs leadership that treats it like a public trust. She said that is especially important in Maine, which has a high number of recipients.

“Social Security is not a scheme, as some have said, it’s a covenant between our government and its people. The Social Security Administration’s leadership must act in a manner that reflects this solemn obligation,” Mills said.

Rep. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., ranking member of the House Oversight Committee, sent a letter to Dudek on Tuesday, calling for his immediate resignation and a request that he sit for an interview with the committee.

Advertisement

“The American people deserve answers about your activities and communications in the time between President Trump’s February 21, 2025, public threat to Governor Mills and your February 27, 2025, order to cancel the enumeration at birth and electronic death registration contracts with the state of Maine, and about your knowledge that cancelling these contracts would lead to increased waste, fraud, and abuse,” Connolly said in his letter.

Connolly, in a letter on Tuesday, said Democrats on the House oversight committee obtained internal emails from the Social Security Administration that he says shows Dudek cancelled the contracts to retaliate politically against Maine.

A representative from the Social Security Administration did not immediately respond to an Associated Press request for comment.

Dudek on a March 18th call with reporters to preview the agency’s tighter identity-proofing measures, initially said the cancellation of the Maine contract happened “because I screwed up,” adding that he believed that the contract looked strange. “I made the wrong move there. I should always ask my staff for guidance first, before I cancel something. I’m new at this job.”

He added, “Well, I was upset at the governor’s treatment, and I indicated in email as such, but the actual fact of the matter was it looked like a strange contract.”

Advertisement

“I’m not interested in political retaliation. I’m interested in serving the public.”

Maine has been the subject of federal investigations since Gov. Mills sparked the ire of Trump at a meeting of governors at the White House in February. During the meeting, Trump threatened to pull federal funding from Maine if the state does not comply with his executive order barring transgender athletes from sports.

Mills responded: “We’ll see you in court.”

The Trump administration then opened investigations into whether Maine violated the Title IX antidiscrimination law by allowing transgender athletes to participate in girls’ sports. The Education Department issued a final warning on Monday that the state could face Justice Department enforcement soon if it doesn’t come into compliance soon.

U.S. Secretary of Agriculture Brooke Rollins also said Wednesday that the department is pausing federal funds for some Maine educational programs because of Title IX noncompliance.

Advertisement

___

Whittle reported from Scarborough, Maine.



Source link

Continue Reading

Maine

Letter: Compel Maine’s representatives to hold town halls

Published

on

Letter: Compel Maine’s representatives to hold town halls


Recent events have made it abundantly clear that the people we have democratically elected to act on our behalf in Congress, who are supposed to act in the best interests of the people of this state, are unwilling to face those very same people when they have made an unpopular decision.

I am not saying that our representatives should always do what is popular. There are times when tough decisions must be made, but part of their job is to go back to the Maine people and explain the reasoning behind their decisions. Neglecting to do so destroys voter trust in our leaders and in the office they hold. Trust cannot easily be repaired and without it democracy cannot function.

Rep. Golden and Sen. Collins have both refused to make themselves publicly accountable to the people they are supposed to represent. If our representatives will not make themselves meaningfully available to their constituents, then it becomes necessary for a law to force them to do so. Which is why Maine must pass legislation requiring that all officials elected to Congress must hold town hall meetings within a reasonable time frame, and held in such a manner that all the people they represent can have their voices heard.

Furthermore, a poll should be held at the end of these town hall meetings and if the elected representative cannot achieve more than a 50% approval rating then an immediate emergency election should be triggered in which they cannot participate.

Advertisement

Christopher Parelius
Portland

« Previous

Letter: Education in Maine must be about more than scores



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending