Connect with us

Boston, MA

Celtics NBA draft preview: What will Boston do with Nos. 28, 32 picks?

Published

on

Celtics NBA draft preview: What will Boston do with Nos. 28, 32 picks?


In the NBA, the offseason begins in a hurry.

Just three days after the Oklahoma City Thunder’s Game 7 triumph over the Indiana Pacers, the league will gather at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn for the opening night of the 2025 NBA Draft.

For the Celtics, the draft will be their first chance to add to a roster that could look substantially different when the 2025-26 season tips off in October. As president of basketball operations Brad Stevens and his staff wind down their draft prep, here’s what you need to know about Boston’s picks and how they might use them:

When is the draft?

The NBA made its draft a two-day affair for the first time last year, and it’s sticking with that format, which was popular among many front office shot-callers. Round 1 will be Wednesday, with Round 2 following on Thursday.

Advertisement

In a change from the 2024 setup, the entire draft will air in primetime, with both rounds set to begin at 8 p.m. ET.

When do the Celtics pick?

Boston currently owns one first-round selection (No. 28) and one early second-rounder (No. 32), with the latter originally belonging to Washington (the Celtics acquired it from Detroit in 2023). The Celtics traded their own second-round pick in this draft (No. 57) to Orlando in 2021 as part of the return for Evan Fournier.

In his end-of-season news conference last month, Stevens said the Celtics were open to trading up, trading back or sticking and picking at those spots.

“We’ll evaluate who we think will be available at 28 and 32,” Stevens said. “… We’ll have plenty of time to thoroughly evaluate who we think those people might be, and if we want to try to move up, try to move back, whatever, we’ll see how it all goes. But I think when you’re at 28 and 32, you’re not exactly able to pinpoint exactly how that night’s going to go.”

First-round draft picks sign rookie wage-scale contracts that are guaranteed for the first two years. If the Celtics take a player at No. 28, his 2025-26 salary will be between $1.9 million and $2.8 million. Second-round picks often sign non-guaranteed or two-way contracts.

Advertisement

What kind of talent can Boston expect to find there?

That’s hard to say. The odds of landing an impact player outside of the lottery – or, in some years, anywhere beyond the top five picks – are admittedly slim.

Of the 20 players selected in Boston’s two slots over the last 10 drafts, just three became long-term starters: Jaden McDaniels, Jordan Poole and Ivica Zubac. Those proved to be great value picks (though Zubac didn’t break through until he was traded from the Lakers to the Clippers).

Other hits in that vicinity over the past decade include Pascal Siakam (No. 27, 2016), Dejounte Murray (No. 29, 2016), Derrick White (No. 29, 2017), Josh Hart (No. 30, 2017), Jalen Brunson (No. 33, 2018), Payton Pritchard (No. 26, 2020), Desmond Bane (No. 30, 2020) and Andrew Nembhard (No. 31, 2022).

So, it is possible to find quality NBA players in the late first and early second rounds. But the vast majority of those picks turn out to be middling backups at best. Set your expectations accordingly.

What is the Celtics’ NBA draft track record?

Overall, pretty strong. Every year from 2014 to 2020, they drafted at least one player who went on to see prominent minutes on Boston teams that reached the Eastern Conference finals or beyond. Most of those players are either still with the Celtics (Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, Pritchard) or were eventually used as trade chips to acquire current starters (Marcus Smart in the Kristaps Porzingis deal; Robert Williams III as part of the package for Jrue Holiday).

Advertisement

The Celtics didn’t make a first-round pick in 2021, ’22 and ’23, and their second-rounders in those drafts (JD Davison, Jordan Walsh) haven’t carved out rotation roles. The jury’s still out on last year’s first-round choice, Baylor Scheierman, but the energetic wing showed potential in his handful of late-season opportunities and could see increased minutes in Year 2, depending on how Boston structures its roster this offseason.

Stevens, who ascended to his current role in 2021, strayed from his previous draft playbook last summer, taking two players in Scheierman and second-round pick Anton Watson (who was later cut) who turned 24 before their rookie season began. His prior picks all were teenage projects with far less collegiate experience.

What do the Celtics need?

That also depends on said roster plans. The Celtics are expected to trade at least one member of their championship-winning core in an effort to shed salary and avoid the most prohibitive luxury tax penalties, but it remains unclear which player(s) they’ll attempt to move.

If it’s Holiday, then targeting a guard prospect would make a lot of sense, as White and Pritchard are Boston’s only other proven backcourt options. The Celtics could use additional wing depth regardless with Tatum set to miss at least a significant chunk of the upcoming season following Achilles surgery, and that need would be heightened if they also ship out Sam Hauser (or, in what would be a much more transformative move, Brown). The makeup of Boston’s frontcourt is a major question mark, too, with Al Horford and Luke Kornet both set to hit free agency and Porzingis another logical trade candidate.

But, again, the Celtics can’t bank on finding a solution to any of those potential roster holes this late in the draft. It will be interesting to see whether Stevens aims for a more polished and experienced prospect who could play right away or prioritizes long-term upside.

Advertisement

Which players could they target?

Prospects of note who could be available in the Celtics’ range include Florida point guard Walter Clayton Jr., the undersized ace shot-maker who starred during the Gators’ run to the national championship, and Creighton center Ryan Kalkbrenner, a former teammate of Scheierman’s who offers elite shot-blocking ability and was a four-time Big East Defensive Player of the Year.

Other possible targets: Stanford big man Maxime Reynaud, a 7-footer with intriguing offensive versatility; French wing Noah Penda, a 6-foot-8 20-year-old who plays like a veteran; Arkansas wing Adou Thiero, an uber-athletic ball hawk with an underdeveloped shot; and North Carolina wing Drake Powell, who impressed evaluators with his high motor and defensive versatility during his lone season in Chapel Hill.

Originally Published:



Source link

Advertisement

Boston, MA

Bruins notebook: Penalty kill top priority coming off break

Published

on

Bruins notebook: Penalty kill top priority coming off break


One can go all the way back to last summer and see how much Marco Sturm was concerned about the penalty kill.

Early in the season, it looked like new Bruins’ coach worries about the kill would pay dividends. But after a good start to the season on the PK, the B’s have tumbled down to 28th in the NHL, killing just a 76.4% success rate.

Trying to fix the kill was some of the coaching staff’s most important “homework” for the extended Olympic break, said Sturm upon the players’ return to the Warrior Ice Arena for practices last week.

The most obvious thing they have to do is cut down on penalties. Their plummet toward the bottom of the PK rankings has – surprise, surprise – coincided with them shooting up in the “minor penalties taken” category. They have taken 243, second only to the Florida Panthers’ 255.

Advertisement

But it also sounds like they plan to tweak their diamond structure as well. What exactly they will be doing differently is hard to tell in practice, especially with the fluid nature of the sport. But Sturm said it’s all part of the season-long chess match between the league’s power plays and penalty kills.

“Power plays get better. They do. If you look at us at the start, we were all out and we did exactly what we wanted to do. The things is, after a certain time and certain games – (assistant coach Steve Spott) Spotter calls it a ‘copy league’ – what it means is you can … see certain weaknesses on the PK,” said Sturm. “With the diamond, they got us pretty much and we just couldn’t handle it and didn’t have an answer. And also we were taking way too many, too. That was a little bit of the downfall. Again, we try to have something in place right now that hopefully fits our group and players better.”

The diamond, he said, giveth and taketh away.

“What I really like on the diamond is you take away the one-timers,” said Sturm. “The old way (the four-man box), the flanks were always available. You think about (Alex) Ovechkin and all those guys, you kind of take that away. You can be very aggressive. But you will give up probably the low 2-on-1s. That would be the downside of it. And now guys slowly figure out how to beat it, any system. That’s what can happen, and it’s already happening, so that’s why we want to be ahead of the curve a little bit.”

Going into the season, the first order of business was to identify some players who could kill, especially after the team traded away PK stalwarts Brad Marchand, Charlie Coyle and Brandon Carlo at last season’s trade deadline.

Advertisement

The regulars on the back end are Nikita Zadorov, Charlie McAvoy, Hampus Lindholm and Andrew Peeke. Up front, there are stalwarts Sean Kuraly, Mark Kastelic, Pavel Zacha and Elias Lindholm. But rookie Fraser Minten and Tanner Jeannot, who had not killed in several years, are also heavily in the rotation. Sturm feels he’s got the personnel to do the job, though he said he could mix up the pairings.

Kuraly leads all forwards in PK time a game at 3:05 a game and he’s done it throughout his career. Pinpointing any one area as the problem, he said, is futile.

“We were on a roll earlier in the season. Does that mean power plays figure out what we’re doing and we didn’t adjust well enough? I don’t know. It’s a culmination of a lot of things,” said Kuraly. “As players, you definitely take it on to yourself to think of what we can do better. It’s just all the little things. Can we win more faceoffs and get more clears? On clears, can we do cooperate clears and share on our clears? Can we be a little bit better up ice, be a little stiffer and put ourselves in a better spot? Can we be better with our stick detail? Can we communicate better?

“I think it’s a culmination of all those things. They look at all these numbers and all these stats and if it was one thing, I think it would be pretty easy to clean up or at least address. I think it’s just a culmination of all those things to make a penalty kill good. And I think can we get on and off the ice and change quick is part of it. A lot of things make a penalty kill good. Of those six or seven things, if we can improve them five or 10 percent, we could have a really good penalty kill.”

Like the media on the Garden’s ninth floor, players on the kill can often see on video after the fact they had more time on a play. Communication, said Kuraly, is huge.

Advertisement

“Just by saying a few words, and I always talk with my linemates,” said Kuraly. “David Backes was the one that insisted I do that a long time ago, you make them look better if you just throw any sort of communication at them. ‘Time’ or ‘take a look.’ ‘Heads up.’ It’s pretty primitive what you can say to them. Just give them a clue, even if you think it might not help. There’s a lot of times where, even if you tell a guy he’s got some time, you settle down a little more and make just a little bit better play.”

Loose pucks

Charlie McAvoy will be taking a crack at his dream on Sunday morning when he and his USA teammates take on Canada for the Olympic gold medal. Sturm, though, is a little nervous about how he’ll be able to transition back NHL hockey, which restarts for the B’s on Thursday with a big game against Columbus.

“Knowing Charlie, I know this is something he’s been looking forward to, probably his whole life. I know he will be great,” said Sturm. “I know it’s going to be a challenge (upon his return). From my experience coming back, the mental part of it is just, because you’re so emotionally involved in those Olympics, it drains you … it’s going to be a challenge, especially Charlie because he plays a lot. It’s a mental drain and that’s why we just have to manage every day the right way so we can have the best outcome.” … Zacha appears on schedule to be ready to play next Thursday against the Blue Jackets. He was able to shed the non-contact jersey for the regular sweater on Saturday.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Boston to spend $1M to extend fare-free MBTA bus pilot for 3 months, price tag hits $17M

Published

on

Boston to spend M to extend fare-free MBTA bus pilot for 3 months, price tag hits M


Boston Mayor Michelle Wu said the city will spend another $1 million in federal funds to extend a fare-free MBTA bus pilot for three more months.

Wu said Friday that the city will use its remaining American Rescue Plan Act dollars, at a rate of $340,000 per month, to extend the fare-free pilot program for MBTA bus routes 23, 28 and 29, through the end of June.

Based on that monthly reimbursement rate to the MBTA, the program has cost the city about $17.34 million in ARPA funds to waive fares for riders on bus routes that serve Dorchester, Mattapan and Roxbury since it was launched in March 2022.

Initially envisioned as a two-year pilot, the Wu administration extended the program for two years in February 2024, and now for another three months ahead of its anticipated expiration at the end of this month.

Advertisement

The City of Boston is in talks with the MBTA about how to keep the fare-free bus program in place for the long-term, the mayor’s office said.

“Fare-free bus service helps families, workers, and businesses, and also makes bus service faster and more reliable,” Wu said in a statement. “We are extending this program through June, as we look to work with the MBTA to keep this going.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Jaylen Brown’s triple-double leads Celtics past Warriors in All-Star return

Published

on

Jaylen Brown’s triple-double leads Celtics past Warriors in All-Star return


When the Celtics visited Golden State last January, they won by 40. Through three quarters, their latest visit was similarly one-sided.

Boston led by 29 with less than 12 minutes remaining Thursday night — then needed to survive a furious Warriors comeback to secure a 121-110 victory at the Chase Center in both teams’ first game back from the NBA All-Star break.

“At the end of the day, coming off the break, I thought our guys had great attention to detail, had a great purpose to what we did,” Celtics head coach Joe Mazzulla told reporters in his postgame news conference. “And then in the last 10 1/2 minutes, Golden State took it to a different level. We were forced to be poised. We were forced to have to make plays. We were forced to have to make shots and get stops.”

Jaylen Brown, fresh off the first All-Star start of his career, was the Celtics’ top playmaker in the win, notching 23 points, 15 rebounds and a career-high 13 assists in his third triple-double of the season.

Advertisement

Payton Pritchard added a game-high 26 points, including eight of the 19 that Boston scored during its white-knuckle fourth quarter. Pritchard, who’s topped 20 points five times in six games since being shifted from starter to sixth man, hit six 3-pointers while tallying seven assists and six boards.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending