News
Trump Relaxes Limits on Counterterrorism Strikes Outside Conventional War Zones
President Trump has rescinded Biden-era limits on counterterrorism drone strikes and commando raids outside conventional war zones, reverting to the looser set of rules he used in his first term, according to officials familiar with the matter.
Under restrictions imposed by the Biden administration, U.S. military and C.I.A. drone operators generally had to obtain permission from the White House to target a suspected militant outside a conventional war zone. Now commanders in the field will again have greater latitude to decide for themselves whether to carry out a strike.
The relaxation of the rules suggests that the United States is likely to more frequently carry out airstrikes aimed at killing terrorism suspects in poorly governed places that are not deemed traditional battlefield zones, like Somalia and Yemen. It also means there may be greater risk to civilians.
The Trump administration did not formally announce the change, elements of which were reported earlier by CBS News. The report also said Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth had signed a directive, apparently implementing the change for the U.S. military’s Africa Command, in a meeting last month at its headquarters in Germany. Mr. Hegseth linked to the CBS report in a social media post, stating only: “Correct.”
But another person familiar with the matter, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss the sensitive issue, clarified that Mr. Trump had reinstated the rules he had put in place in October 2017, specifically revoking a set of rules Mr. Biden had signed in October 2022. A senior Pentagon official confirmed that account.
It is not clear when Mr. Trump made the change, but it appears to have been after an airstrike targeting ISIS militants in Somalia on Feb. 1. In a speech to the Conservative Political Action Conference on Feb. 21, Sebastian Gorka, the National Security Council’s senior director for counterterrorism, dramatically described Mr. Trump personally approving that operation. That step would no longer have been necessary after the switch.
Mr. Hegseth was in Germany on Feb. 11. There was a strike targeting ISIS militants on Feb. 16, according to U.S. Africa Command. Mr. Gorka did not mention that one in his speech, but he declared: “We have unleashed the hammers of hell on ISIS.”
Redacted versions of both the first-term Trump rules and the Biden rules became public after The New York Times filed Freedom of Information Act lawsuits for them. (The American Civil Liberties Union also brought a separate, parallel lawsuit under the disclosure law for the Trump-era rules.)
Under the first-term Trump system, the government laid out a set of general operating principles in which counterterrorism “direct action” — usually meaning airstrikes, but sometimes commando raids — may take place. So long as those conditions were met, operators decided for themselves whether to target particular militants. By contrast, the Biden system required White House approval for each such strike.
Moreover, the Trump system permitted targeting militants based only on their status as members of a terrorist group — meaning commanders could, if they chose to do so for policy reasons, blast away at low-level foot soldiers. By requiring the president’s personal approval, the Biden system essentially limited strikes to particular high-value targets.
Both sets of rules said there should be “near certainty” that no civilian bystanders would be killed, while allowing exceptions. A Biden-era review found that while the Trump rules for specific countries had kept the “near certainty” standard when it came to protecting civilian women and children, they often allowed a lower degree of certainty for adult civilian men.
Brian Hughes, a National Security Council spokesman, responded to a request for comment about the changes with a broad statement about untying the hands of commanders.
“President Trump will not hesitate to eliminate any terrorist who is plotting to kill Americans,” he said. “We won’t tolerate Biden-era bureaucracy preventing our warfighters from doing their job. America is back in the business of counterterrorism and killing jihadists.”
The Biden rules already allowed commanders to carry out strikes in self-defense without any need for higher-level permission. Most counterterrorism airstrikes in recent years fit in that category, like firing at Al Shabab militants in Somalia to defend partner forces of the United States, and at Houthis in Yemen to protect ships they were menacing.
And there have been fewer counterterrorism raids and drone strikes outside recognized war zones as the global terrorist threat has evolved.
During the rise of ISIS, for example, extremists flocked to Iraq and Syria — where the United States has had ground forces engaged in combat and considered a conventional war zone, and so the special rules for so-called direct action operations did not apply.
The rise of armed drone technology early in the 21st century coincided with the sprawling war that began with the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, and targeted killings away from conventional war zones became a central feature of the armed conflict.
Terrorist groups tended to operate from poorly governed spaces or failed states where there were few or no American troops, and no police force that was able to arrest people and suppress the threat they posed. Such places included tribal regions of Pakistan, rural Yemen, Somalia and Libya.
Drone strikes targeting terrorism suspects in such places began under President George W. Bush and soared in frequency during the first term of President Barack Obama. So did legal and political concerns about civilian casualties. The government’s deliberate killing, in 2011, of an American citizen suspected of terrorism, Anwar al-Awlaki, without a trial, intensified the debate.
In May 2013, Mr. Obama imposed the first systematic set of rules to regulate when the military or the C.I.A. could carry out such operations away from so-called hot battlefields and to constrain excessive use. His system involved a high-level-interagency review of whether a suspect posed a threat to Americans.
Mr. Trump replaced those rules in 2017 with his decentralized framework. Mr. Biden suspended that system and imposed his own version, which in many respects resembled Mr. Obama’s — and has now itself been canceled.
News
Video: Meet the Theremin, an Instrument You Don’t Have to Touch to Play
new video loaded: Meet the Theremin, an Instrument You Don’t Have to Touch to Play
By Chevaz Clarke and Vincent Tullo
November 29, 2025
News
How a solar explosion grounded 6,000 Airbus planes globally
Intense solar radiation has exposed a critical vulnerability in Airbus A320 family aircraft software, leading to the grounding of thousands of planes worldwide until fixes are applied, marking the largest recalls affecting the company in its 55-year history.
The issue affects the Elevator Aileron Computer (ELAC B) with software version L104, which calculates elevation and controls flight surfaces, causing potential data corruption at high altitudes during solar flares.
This prompted the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to issue an Emergency Airworthiness Directive (EAD) on November 28, 2025, mandating repairs before passenger flights resume.
WHAT HAPPENED?
The problem surfaced during a JetBlue Airways A320 flight (B6-1230) from Cancun to Newark on October 30, when the plane experienced an uncommanded pitch-down at 35,000 feet, injuring at least 15 passengers and forcing an emergency landing in Tampa, Florida.
Airbus’s investigation linked the sudden altitude loss, brief but severe enough to exceed normal limits, to solar radiation corrupting ELAC data, though the autopilot corrected the trajectory.
This marked the only known incident, but analysis revealed broader risks across A320ceo and A320neo variants.
FLY-BY-WIRE VULNERABILITY
A320 family planes pioneered “fly-by-wire” technology, where cockpit controls send electronic signals processed by computers like the ELAC to adjust elevators and ailerons, eliminating mechanical linkages for efficiency and safety.
Solar flares, intense bursts of charged particles from the sun travelling at light speed, can penetrate aircraft electronics at cruising altitudes, flipping bits in memory and corrupting elevation calculations in vulnerable L104 software.
In the worst cases, uncorrected faults could trigger uncommanded elevator movements, risking structural damages.
FIXES AND GLOBAL IMPACT
Airlines must revert ELAC software to L103 or replace the hardware, a process taking about three hours per plane, before the next revenue flight; passenger-free “ferry flights” (up to three cycles) allow relocation to maintenance sites.
Roughly 6,000 aircraft, nearly half Airbus’s single-aisle fleet, are affected, impacting carriers like American Airlines, Delta, and IndiGo, with disruptions during peak holiday travel.
Airbus and EASA prioritise safety, apologising for delays while coordinating rapid implementation.
BROADER AVIATION RISKS
Solar activity peaks every 11 years, with the current cycle heightening radiation events that already disrupt high-altitude communications; this flaw underscores growing dependencies on radiation-hardened avionics amid climate-driven space weather monitoring needs.
Future mitigations may include shielded processors or real-time solar alerts, but immediate groundings prevent repeats.
Global regulators echo the urgency, ensuring no passenger flights until verified safe.
– Ends
News
Video: National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House
new video loaded: National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House
transcript
transcript
National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House
Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, a 20-year-old member of the West Virginia Army National Guard, died on Thursday from wounds suffered in an ambush. President Trump said she was “outstanding in every way.”
-
Sarah Beckstrom of West Virginia… … started service in June of 2023. Outstanding in every way. She has just passed away.
By Shawn Paik
November 27, 2025
-
Science1 week agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
-
Ohio3 days agoSnow set to surge across Northeast Ohio, threatening Thanksgiving travel
-
Northeast1 week agoCamelot or Cringe?: Meet JFK’s grandson turned congressional candidate for the scrolling generation
-
Southeast1 week agoAlabama teacher arrested, fired after alleged beating of son captured on camera