Connect with us

News

Trump Administration Sends Harvard a List of Demands to Protect Federal Funds

Published

on

Trump Administration Sends Harvard a List of Demands to Protect Federal Funds

The Trump administration sent Harvard a list of demands on Thursday that would have to be met to end a government review of $9 billion the school receives in federal funding.

The government announced the review earlier this week, which threatened to cancel all or some of the money as part of its campaign against what it views as unchecked antisemitism on campuses.

The conditions largely follow the playbook the Trump administration used to force Columbia University to comply with its demands last month, after canceling $400 million of that school’s federal grants and contracts. In both instances, the government asked Harvard and Columbia to impose bans, with few exemptions, on masking.

Pro-Palestinian students often used masks during protests against the war in Gaza to obscure their identities after many said they were harassed online when their personal information was revealed.

The Trump administration also pressured the universities to intensify efforts to hold student groups “accountable,” cease admissions practices based on race, color or national origin and revamp policies on campus protests.

Advertisement

Harvard would also be required to “commit to full cooperation” with the Department of Homeland Security, the agency that enforces immigration policies, including deportations.

Although the Trump administration did not insist that a specific academic department be put under outside oversight, also known as “receivership,” as it did at Columbia, it said that Harvard’s “programs and departments that fuel antisemitic harassment must be reviewed and necessary changes made to address bias, improve viewpoint diversity, and end ideological capture.”

Earlier on Thursday, White House officials said the administration also intended to block $510 million in federal contracts and grants for Brown University, making it the fifth university known to face a potentially dire loss of federal funding.

Like many of its Ivy League peers, Brown was the site of clashes over the war in Gaza. But it was also one of a small number of universities that made deals with students to end their protest encampments in the spring, agreements that came under criticism for being too soft on students.

A spokesman for Harvard confirmed that the university received its letter on Thursday, but made no additional comment. The letter was first reported by Fox News.

Advertisement

The Trump administration’s letter said that Harvard had “fundamentally failed to protect American students and faculty from antisemitic violence” and that it expected “immediate cooperation in implementing these critical reforms.”

“U.S. taxpayers invest enormously in U.S. colleges and universities, including Harvard University,” according to the letter. “These funds are an investment and, like any investment, are based on the recipient’s performance, not owed as a matter of custom or right.”

The letter was signed by Josh Gruenbaum, the commissioner of the federal acquisition service in the General Services Administration; Sean Keveney, the acting general counsel at the Health and Human Services Department; and Thomas E. Wheeler, the acting general counsel at the Department of Education.

On Monday, Alan Garber, the president of Harvard, said that the university had spent “considerable effort” during the past 15 months addressing antisemitism, adding that there was still more work to do.

He said that Harvard would work with the administration, but warned that canceling federal funding would “halt life-saving research and imperil important scientific research and innovation.”

Advertisement

“Much is at stake here,” Dr. Garber wrote. “In longstanding partnership with the federal government, we have launched and nurtured pathbreaking research that has made countless people healthier and safer, more curious and more knowledgeable, improving their lives, their communities, and our world.”

The administration’s crusade against elite institutions of higher education has included the creation of a task force on antisemitism that targeted 10 colleges, including Harvard, the world’s wealthiest university.

The Trump administration announced last month that its review at Harvard would include a look at about $9 billion in federal contracts and multiyear grant commitments with the university and its affiliates, a group that appeared to include several Boston-area hospitals.

Harvard had announced a hiring freeze in early March, citing the uncertainty created by Mr. Trump’s threats to continue to slash funding for higher education, even as both public and private universities around the country have been deeply affected by Trump funding cuts.

Ryan Enos, the co-author of a faculty letter calling on Harvard to oppose the government’s attacks on higher education, said the demands were “authoritarian extortion, not serious policy goals” in a message on Thursday. He urged Harvard to reject them.

Advertisement

In the following weeks, the Trump administration announced actions against three more universities. That included a pause of $175 million in funding to the University of Pennsylvania and the suspension of dozens of grants to Princeton.

Alan Blinder and Vimal Patel contributed reporting.

News

How a solar explosion grounded 6,000 Airbus planes globally

Published

on

How a solar explosion grounded 6,000 Airbus planes globally

Intense solar radiation has exposed a critical vulnerability in Airbus A320 family aircraft software, leading to the grounding of thousands of planes worldwide until fixes are applied, marking the largest recalls affecting the company in its 55-year history.

The issue affects the Elevator Aileron Computer (ELAC B) with software version L104, which calculates elevation and controls flight surfaces, causing potential data corruption at high altitudes during solar flares.

This prompted the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA) to issue an Emergency Airworthiness Directive (EAD) on November 28, 2025, mandating repairs before passenger flights resume.

An X-class solar flare appears in the lower right part of the Sun in this extreme ultraviolet image from NASA’s Solar Dynamics Observatory. (Photo Credit: Nasa)

WHAT HAPPENED?

The problem surfaced during a JetBlue Airways A320 flight (B6-1230) from Cancun to Newark on October 30, when the plane experienced an uncommanded pitch-down at 35,000 feet, injuring at least 15 passengers and forcing an emergency landing in Tampa, Florida.

Advertisement

Airbus’s investigation linked the sudden altitude loss, brief but severe enough to exceed normal limits, to solar radiation corrupting ELAC data, though the autopilot corrected the trajectory.

This marked the only known incident, but analysis revealed broader risks across A320ceo and A320neo variants.

FLY-BY-WIRE VULNERABILITY

A320 family planes pioneered “fly-by-wire” technology, where cockpit controls send electronic signals processed by computers like the ELAC to adjust elevators and ailerons, eliminating mechanical linkages for efficiency and safety.

Solar flares, intense bursts of charged particles from the sun travelling at light speed, can penetrate aircraft electronics at cruising altitudes, flipping bits in memory and corrupting elevation calculations in vulnerable L104 software.

Advertisement

In the worst cases, uncorrected faults could trigger uncommanded elevator movements, risking structural damages.

A JetBlue aircraft suffered a flight control issue and a sudden drop in altitude that resulted in some injuries in October this year. (Photo: Reuters)

FIXES AND GLOBAL IMPACT

Airlines must revert ELAC software to L103 or replace the hardware, a process taking about three hours per plane, before the next revenue flight; passenger-free “ferry flights” (up to three cycles) allow relocation to maintenance sites.

Roughly 6,000 aircraft, nearly half Airbus’s single-aisle fleet, are affected, impacting carriers like American Airlines, Delta, and IndiGo, with disruptions during peak holiday travel.

Airbus and EASA prioritise safety, apologising for delays while coordinating rapid implementation.

Advertisement

BROADER AVIATION RISKS

Solar activity peaks every 11 years, with the current cycle heightening radiation events that already disrupt high-altitude communications; this flaw underscores growing dependencies on radiation-hardened avionics amid climate-driven space weather monitoring needs.

Material rises from the edge of the Sun, as seen in extreme ultraviolet light by Nasa’s Solar Dynamics Observatory. (Photo Credit: Nasa)

Future mitigations may include shielded processors or real-time solar alerts, but immediate groundings prevent repeats.

Global regulators echo the urgency, ensuring no passenger flights until verified safe.

– Ends

Advertisement

Published On:

Nov 29, 2025

Continue Reading

News

Video: National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House

Published

on

Video: National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House

new video loaded: National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House

transcript

transcript

National Guard Member Dies After Shooting Near White House

Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, a 20-year-old member of the West Virginia Army National Guard, died on Thursday from wounds suffered in an ambush. President Trump said she was “outstanding in every way.”

Sarah Beckstrom of West Virginia… … started service in June of 2023. Outstanding in every way. She has just passed away.

Advertisement
Army Specialist Sarah Beckstrom, a 20-year-old member of the West Virginia Army National Guard, died on Thursday from wounds suffered in an ambush. President Trump said she was “outstanding in every way.”

By Shawn Paik

November 27, 2025

Continue Reading

News

The housing crisis is pushing Gen Z into crypto and economic nihilism

Published

on

The housing crisis is pushing Gen Z into crypto and economic nihilism

Unlock the Editor’s Digest for free

This article is part of the FT Financial Literacy & Inclusion Campaign’s seasonal appeal. The appeal is supported by lead partner Experian, which is generously match-funding other donations.

It has become a rite of passage for every new generation of young adults to be labelled lazy and irresponsible by its elders, but Gen Z has probably had it worse than most. Accusations range from not making an effort at work to splurging on luxuries and a “Yolo” attitude to risky investments like cryptocurrencies and NFTs.

There are two important differences between Gen Z and those previous generations facing similar disdain. The first is that rather than pushing back on these characterisations, today’s 20-somethings have tended to embrace them, leaning into neologisms such as “quiet quitting”. The second is that new evidence suggests these behaviours are rational responses to worsening economic prospects: specifically, the increasing unattainability of home ownership.

Advertisement

Some content could not load. Check your internet connection or browser settings.

In a pioneering study published last week, economists at the University of Chicago and Northwestern University used detailed data on the card transactions, wealth and attitudes of Americans to demonstrate that reduced work effort, increased leisure spending and investment in risky financial assets (including crypto) are all disproportionately common among young adults who face little to no realistic prospect of being able to afford a house. By contrast, Seung Hyeong Lee and Younggeun Yoo’s research finds that those for whom home ownership is a more realistic possibility in the medium term, or who have already attained it, take fewer risks and strive harder at work.

I have extended their analysis to the UK and find a similar picture. Young British renters who have little hope of cobbling together a deposit are much more likely to take financial risks — with online betting, for example — than their contemporaries who are on or within reach of the housing ladder.

Most importantly, Lee and Yoo use time series data and local house prices to show that the link between unaffordable housing and economic behaviour appears to be causal. Recent upticks in financial risk-taking, leisure spending and reduction in work effort respond to changing economic incentives. As housing affordability deteriorates, those who come to believe they are locked out of home ownership resort to a mixture of high-risk bets and what US economic commentator Kyla Scanlon calls “financial nihilism” — why strive and save when it won’t be enough to make it anyway? — while their better-placed counterparts tighten their belts.

The findings on effort at work are particularly notable. Gen Z is often characterised as lacking resilience in the workplace; many young employees have taken to social media to bemoan the pointlessness of the nine to five. The evidence suggests these changing beliefs and behaviours are grounded in economic reality as it evolves. It’s not that previous generations were more engaged in their work because jobs back then were thrilling, it’s that applying oneself at work used to be a means to an end. With the reward of owning your own home yanked out of reach, the whole thing feels futile.

Advertisement

Some content could not load. Check your internet connection or browser settings.

The same conclusion follows from the increasing importance of parental help to climb the ladder. For most first-time buyers in the US, the UK and Australia, the biggest hurdle is not salary but down payment. Why stay late in the office to finish that project in the hope of a modest pay rise when you know you’ll end up needing a six-figure deposit that might take decades to build up regardless?

The results of these studies have important implications. First, they underscore the critical urgency of addressing the home ownership affordability crisis. The impact, as we can now see, is destabilising the wider economy and society, setting many young adults on a slippery financial path where mis-steps may prove unrecoverable.

FT financial literacy charity

A button saying donate now with pound coins

Support the FT’s Financial Literacy and Inclusion Campaign (FT FLIC)

Second, they highlight the importance of providing young people with the financial literacy they need to navigate a new world where for many the only hope of success is to take big monetary risks. Today’s 20-somethings are much more likely to end up as life-long renters than their parents were. This means they will need more guidance than past generations on other means of wealth accumulation, as well as the skills and support to know that it’s not yet game over.

It’s all very well bemoaning the growing economic nihilism of younger generations — and the evidence bears it out — but they’re just playing the cards they have been dealt.

john.burn-murdoch@ft.com, @jburnmurdoch

Advertisement

What does this week’s UK Budget mean for your finances? Join a free webinar on Friday 28 November 1300-1400 GMT with FT journalists Claer Barrett, Stuart Kirk, Tej Parikh and special guest, tax expert Dan Neidle. Register now and put your questions to our panel.

Continue Reading

Trending