Wisconsin
Wisconsin men’s hockey rebounds from slow start but falls to No. 9 Minnesota in overtime
MADISON – Minnesota came to the Kohl Center Friday night and spoiled the party.
The Wisconsin men’s hockey team played in front of its largest crowd of the season at the Kohl Center, but that support didn’t save the Badgers from an overtime loss to the Golden Gophers.
Sophomore Brody Lamb’s goal 61 seconds into OT lifted ninth-ranked Minnesota to a 2-1 victory over the fourth-ranked Badgers in front of 13,498. That is the largest crowd to see an NCAA men’s hockey home game this season.
The victory denied fourth-ranked UW a potential comeback victory as it overcame a slow start to control the second period and tie the game in the third.
BOX SCORE: No. 9 Minnesota 2, No. 4 Wisconsin 1 (OT)
The effort wasn’t all for naught, though. UW, which played without leading scorer Cruz Lucius due to injury, gained a point for the overtime. Meanwhile, Big Ten leader Michigan State lost to Notre Dame, leaving UW four points behind the Spartans in the standings.
“I thought Minnesota got off to a pretty good start, but I do like our resolve,” Wisconsin coach Mike Hastings said. “I thought the guys came back and played the right way. I thought our power play gave us some momentum. There weren’t a lot of special teams. That was playoff hockey. That’s battling in the Big Ten.”
Senior Owen Lindmark scored Wisconsin’s only goal at the 1-minute 35-second mark of the third period off assists from sophomores Simon Tassy and freshman Zach Schulz.
The Badgers (20-6-1, 11-4-0 – 33 points) finished the night with a 41-27 advantage in shots on goal and weren’t called for a penalty. Minnesota, however, got a first period goal from freshman Oliver Moore and owned a 2-0 advantage in shots in OT to score the win.
“Our start is something we want back, but we were really happy with the rest of the game and the way we played and bounced back,” senior Mathieu De St. Phalle said. “Credit to their goalie. He played a great game, but I thought we did a good job of feeding off the crowd as the game went on. It’s just a tough way to go, but good thing we’ve one more tomorrow.”
The teams play the series finale at 7 p.m. Saturday and from the Wisconsin perspective there is plenty to build on.
After Minnesota (16-7-4, 9-5-3 – 28 points) played much of the first period in its offensive zone, UW bounced back in the second period and recorded 21 shots.
Five of those shots came on a power play that came as the result of an indirect contact to the head penalty at the 15:53 mark by Gopher Jimmy Clark on UW sophomore Jack Horbach. The play was initially ruled a major penalty but downgraded to a minor after a video review.
Either way it was a golden opportunity UW gained momentum from but not a goal.
“I thought our end to the second (period) was really good,” Lindmark said. “We had the power player and had it in their zone the whole time and had a lot of really good looks and he (Minnesota goaltender Justen Close) just stood on his head and made the plays to keep it out of the net, but I think that was a good turning point in the game.”
UW senior goaltender Kyle McClellan made 27 saves. The goals he allowed came on 2-on-1 rushes. Between the scores he and the rest of the UW defense held one of the country’s more explosive teams scoreless for almost 55 consecutive minutes.
Meanwhile, Close recorded 40 saves and Wisconsin was held to one goal for the second time in a week.
“What you saw tonight was two teams that understand what is at stake,” Hastings said. “You’re waiting for somebody to blink, whether that’s going to the power play or that is giving an outnumbered rush. Both teams defended really hard tonight. I thought both teams tried to get inside and the other team wouldn’t let them very often.”
The loss leaves Wisconsin in a similar position as last week. It lost the first game at Michigan and needed to win the series finale in OT to get the split.
The Badgers are focused on getting the same outcome this week while playing in front of what is expected to be an even larger crowd Saturday night.
“At the end of the day we got a point and we have an opportunity to take 10 out of 12 points on the year against these guys so we’re going to be jumping, ready to go,” Lindmark said. “We’re going to be playing for the fans and all the support we have on campus.”
Wisconsin
Much of Wisconsin gets winter storm warning Saturday; latest forecast
Weekend snow could impact thanksgiving week in southern Wisconsin
Weekend snow could impact thanksgiving week in southern Wisconsin
Days after more than a foot of snow fell in northern Wisconsin, another winter storm could bring anywhere from six to 11 inches of snow to the southern half of the state.
All of southern Wisconsin is under a winter storm warning beginning Saturday, Nov. 29, according to the Milwaukee/Sullivan National Weather Service office.
The warning goes into effect beginning at 3 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 29 until 6 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 30 for the following counties: Marquette, Green Lake, Sauk, Columbia, Iowa, Dane, Jefferson, Lafayette, Green, Rock, Walworth, Racine and Kenosha.
The winter storm warning extends into southeastern Wisconsin beginning at 6 a.m. Saturday, Nov. 29 for Fond du Lac, Sheboygan, Dodge, Washington, Ozaukee, Waukesha and Milwaukee counties. The warning will expire at 6 a.m. Sunday, Nov. 30.
In northeast and central Wisconsin, the National Weather Service in Green Bay has issued a winter storm warning from 9 a.m. Nov. 29 to 6 a.m. Nov. 30 for Wood, Portage, Door, Waupaca, Outagamie, Brown, Kewaunee, Waushara, Winnebago, Calumet and Manitowoc counties. Snow is expected to be six to nine inches.
Lesser amounts of snow — between two and eight inches — are expected to the north, up to the Michigan border. Marathon, Menominee, Oconto, Shawano and southern Marinette counties are under a winter storm watch from morning through late night Saturday, Nov. 29.
In the western and southwest parts of the state, the National Weather Service in La Crosse has issued a winter storm warning between 3 a.m. Nov. 29 to 6 a.m. Nov. 30 for Adams, Juneau, La Crosse, Monroe, Buffalo, Jackson and Trempealeau counties, with five to nine inches of snow expected.
There’s also a winter storm warning between midnight Nov. 28 and 6 a.m. Nov. 30 for Crawford, Grant and Richland counties, with eight to 11 inches of snow expected.
The storm is expected to be a “long duration snow event,” NWS meteorologist Kevin Wagner told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.
Wagner said those traveling for Thanksgiving should keep an eye on the forecast.
“If you can alter plans to avoid the worst conditions, that would probably be the best idea,” he said.
Wisconsin weather radar
What to do in a winter storm
During winter storms, NWS advises staying inside, stocking up on food and water, and charging essential devices in case of power outages. If your heat goes out, NWS says you should:
- Close off unneeded rooms.
- Place towels or rags in cracks under doors.
- Close blinds or curtains.
- Eat and drink to provide your body with energy.
- Wear layers of loose-fitting, lightweight and warm clothing.
If you are without shelter, you can visit the 211 Wisconsin website or call 211 to locate nearby warming services.
NWS also advises against driving during a storm, as conditions can create dangerous driving conditions. For live updates on road conditions and accidents in Wisconsin, you can check out the 511 Wisconsin map.
Wisconsin
Boyd's career-high 36 points lead Wisconsin by Providence 104-83 in Rady Children’s Invitational
Wisconsin
Four-star receiver Jayden Petit decommits from Wisconsin football’s 2026 class
MADISON – Jayden Petit, one of the top-rated prospects in the Wisconsin football program’s 2026 class, changed his mind.
Wednesday, Nov. 26 the receiver from Naples, Florida, announced his decommitment from the Badgers.
He had been committed to UW since June. 26. His departure leaves the Badgers’ recruiting class at 13 players that include one receiver.
Petit, who lists himself as 6-foot-4 and 216 pounds on his X profile, attends St. John Neumann High School where he helped the football team reach the second round of the playoffs.
Petit is considered a consensus four-star prospect. He will play in he Navy All-American Bowl on Jan. 10 in San Antonio.
He announced his decommitment on X. It came hours after the Badgers received a commitment from former Boston College recruit Brady Bekkenhuis and one week before the beginning of the early signing period.
“This was not an easy choice,” he wrote. “I want to personally thank Coach Fickell, Coach Reid, Coach Grimes, Zach Zilm, Ethan Russo and Pat Lambert for believing in me, investing in me and taking the time to build a genuine relationship throughout the process. Every conversation, every visit, and every moment spent learning about Wisconsin meant a great deal to me and my family.”
-
Science7 days agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
World1 week agoZelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
-
Politics1 week agoMamdani keeps Jessica Tisch as NYPD commissioner
-
Science1 week agoRising Home Insurance Premiums Are Eating Into Home Values in Disaster-Prone Areas