Connect with us

North Dakota

Sheriff Charles McCarthy honored 150 years after dying in the line of duty

Published

on

Sheriff Charles McCarthy honored 150 years after dying in the line of duty


BISMARCK — More than 24,000 names are etched in the marble at the National Law Enforcement Memorial in Washington, D.C.

This year, three names were added from North Dakota.

Fargo Police Department Officer Jake Wallin and Mercer County Sheriff’s Deputy Paul Martin were killed in the line of duty last year. The third officer died 150 years ago.

“It’s a real honor. This is a family story we have had for a long time,” said Karen Nielsen.

Advertisement

She is the great-great-great-granddaughter of former Sheriff Charles McCarthy.

It’s a story that the Burleigh County Sheriff’s Department didn’t know much about until last year when they were researching the department’s history as part of their 150th anniversary celebration.

“The only information we had to start with was a name on the wall,” said Deputy Elliot Carvell.

There is no known picture of McCarthy, but plenty of history. McCarthy served in the Civil War.

“He was arrested by General George Custer for some illegal wood cutting prior to being the sheriff,” Carvell said.

Advertisement

McCarthy was the sheriff of the Dakota Territory as North Dakota would not become a state for another 15 years.

“It’s hard to comprehend what law enforcement would have been like in that time. These were one-man departments,” Carvell said.

It is believed McCarthy was the first lawman from North Dakota to be killed in the line of duty.

McCarthy, along with Deputy U.S. Marshall Clinton J. Miller, drowned on December 12, 1874, when their horse sleigh fell through the frozen Missouri River. They were investigating a deadly shooting outside a saloon near Washburn.

“It’s important to remember those who came before you,” said Carvell.

Advertisement

Through Ancestry.com, Carvell was able to track down Nielsen and her father who live in the southwest.

He informed them McCarthy’s name was going to be added to the police memorial walls in Bismarck and Washington, D.C.

“It really made the history come alive. It was really an honor,” said Nielsen.

“It’s a symbol or recognition to our current officers that the sacrifices they make each day, whether small or large, are not forgotten,” said Carvell.

Nielsen and her father were not able to attend the ceremonies this year, but hope to make it to Bismarck and Washington, D.C. in the near future.

Advertisement

“We are very thankful to them and proud of them for doing that and honoring him,” she said.

Deputy U.S. Marshall Clinton J. Miller is not on the wall yet.

McCarthy replaced Miller as sheriff when Miller became a deputy marshall.

Matt Henson is an Emmy award-winning reporter/photographer/editor for WDAY. Prior to joining WDAY in 2019, Matt was the main anchor at WDAZ in Grand Forks for four years.

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

North Dakota

Customers react to Mango’s closure ahead of final day

Published

on

Customers react to Mango’s closure ahead of final day


MOORHEAD, N.D. (Valley News Live) – Customers are stopping by Mango’s Mexican and American Grill before the Moorhead restaurant closes its doors on May 25.

Loyal diners from both sides of the border are making sure they get a final visit in at the restaurant, which announced its closure earlier this week.

“I was glad I was going to be in town so I could stop in,” said Cassandra Miller. “I needed my Mango’s fix.”

Cassandra Miller said the restaurant has built a strong customer base across the region, and she expects the final days to be busy.

Advertisement

“They have a huge following from both Minnesota and North Dakota, so it’ll probably be very packed here, and it will be a great sendoff for them,” she said.

Her husband, John Miller, said he was surprised by how quickly the closure is happening but hopes the owners have plans to reopen elsewhere.

“I was a little surprised that they didn’t take very long for them to close down, but it’s probably for, you know, good reason,” John Miller said. “Hope you guys open up somewhere else so we can enjoy your food.”

Customer Donna Miller said her favorite item on the menu is shrimp.

The owners are not available this week but are inviting customers to stop by before the final day of service on May 25.

Advertisement

Copyright 2026 KVLY. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

North Dakota

North Dakota Lions Emergency Relief rallying support for families affected by recent fires

Published

on

North Dakota Lions Emergency Relief rallying support for families affected by recent fires


BISMARCK, N.D. (KFYR) – After several recent apartment fires in Bismarck-Mandan, a volunteer group is helping families rebuild.

North Dakota Lions Emergency Relief has been helping families affected by apartment fires in the Bismarck-Mandan area since 2019. The non-profit is still in need of volunteers and financial donations while it works to get fire victims closer to normal.

Coordinator Patty Barrette said the focus is on more than immediate needs.

“So our goal is not to just get them through today and tomorrow. Obviously that’s very, very important, but we want them to think long term. We want to try to help everyone get as close to normal as we can,” Barrette said.

Advertisement

The organization is positioned to help 150 people in the first 48 hours after a disaster with clothing, hygiene supplies, bedding and household basics.

Once families find a place to stay, volunteers help them prepare for the months ahead by providing winter clothing and other essentials they may not think about in the moment.

“We have people that can kind of have been through this before either personally or have been part of our organization. They can sit down and say, okay, you know, what size underwear do you need? What size socks do you need?” Barrette said.

Barrette said helping families through traumatic situations can also weigh heavily on volunteers.

“We get the residual trauma. And so I have to monitor the team, make sure that they’re doing okay too, because there’s a lot we’re dealing with. You get a lot of tears coming in,” Barrette said.

Advertisement

Clothing and household donations are temporarily paused because of the overwhelming community response.

The group said financial donations, gift cards and volunteers are still needed to support families. Donations are helping families impacted by the Alberta Heights and Kirkwood Park fires.

The volunteer-run group said the first week after a disaster often brings a strong response, but as time goes on, families are still rebuilding and the need for help continues.

The group is looking for drivers, sorters, intake takers and bilingual volunteers. One-shift commitments are welcome.

One hundred percent of donations go through the North Dakota Lions Emergency Relief fund. More information is available on the group’s Facebook page.

Advertisement

Copyright 2026 KFYR. All rights reserved.



Source link

Continue Reading

North Dakota

North Dakotans advised to be wary of tree-killing emerald ash borers

Published

on

North Dakotans advised to be wary of tree-killing emerald ash borers


BISMARCK, ND (KXNET) — With the temperatures warming and the summer around the corner, emerald ash borers are picking up their activity.

Governor Kelly Armstrong proclaimed May 17-23 Emerald Ash Borer Awareness Week, and the North Dakota Department of Agriculture (NDDA) is giving North Dakotans advice on how to protect their trees.

Emerald ash borers (EABs) attack true ash trees. The larvae feed under the bark, which disrupts the movement of water and nutrients. This often leads to the death of the tree within several years.

According to the NDDA, EABs have killed hundreds of millions of ash trees in the United States over the past decade.

Advertisement

North Dakota is home to more than 90 million ash trees, which are found along streets, in city parks, rural plantings, forests, and along the edges of rivers and lakes. EABs have been found in LaMoure and Cass counties.

The NDDA says EABs can be moved in firewood, and people in North Dakota should do what they can to prevent the spread.

“EAB spreads slowly on its own, but it can be moved long distances in firewood and ash nursery stock,” State Forester Tom Claeys said. “Please buy your firewood from local sources, and if you are coming from out of the state, please don’t bring firewood with you.”

The NDDA and North Dakota Forest Service (NDFS) will be placing nearly 300 traps around the state this month to attract EABs. These are two-footlong, three-sided, and purple, and people are asked to leave them alone.

People can use a treatment to prevent EAB from establishing in an ash tree, but this is not recommended until EAB has been found within 15 miles of the tree. It is prohibited to move firewood or other things from an ash tree outside a regulated area, including LaMoure and Cass counties.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending