Minnesota
Minnesota budget surplus forecasted at $616 million, but warning signs linger
ST. PAUL, Minn. — ST. PAUL, Minn. (WCCO) Minnesota is expected to have a $616 million surplus in the next two-year budget, state officials said Wednesday, but there is a looming $5 billion deficit in future years—teeing up a debate in the legislature about how to rein in spending to stave off that projected shortfall.
That surplus for the next biennium, which covers fiscal years 2026 and 2027, shrunk by $1.1 billion compared to what officials anticipated at the end of the legislative session this year. There is an anticipated structural imbalance—spending exceeding revenues—but a carryover balance blunted the impact and left some money on the bottom line for lawmakers when they put together the next budget when they return in January.
But in fiscal years 2028 and 2029, if the state keeps at this pace, it will see that deficit. Costs for special education and disability services are two drivers of increased spending, the forecast showed.
“Liike many other states, Minnesota is facing some significant economic and financial headwinds,” said Erin Campbell, commissioner of Minnesota Management and Budget, who cited a decline in COVID-era federal stimulus funding and related consumer and business spending, which boosted tax revenues in the state.
Campbell underscored that the decisions lawmakers make next year for the budget in the near term will impact the future years, so they should act wisely. Providing a budget forecast for a four-year window with this information allows them to course correct, she said.
“Not only do we have notice about a problem on the horizon, we also have ample time to take action and change the trajectory,” she explained.
Gov. Tim Walz told reporters “everything is on the table” to address the state’s financial outlook when the legislature returns in January, this time with a divided government. The House right now stands at a 67 to 67 tie, ending the DFL trifecta that defined the last two years.
Republicans in response to the forecast news were quick to place blame on Democrats for putting the state’s finances on the brink. They noted how Management and Budget last year warned of the mismatch between the amount of money the state was spending compared to the revenues it was raking in.
“The results that we saw with this budget forecast that came out today is exactly what House Republicans have been warning for the last two years would be the case,” said House Republican Leader Lisa Demuth, R-Cold Spring. “Democrats ignored those warnings from Republicans. They ignored the warnings from their own party’s administration, and now again, we have that moving $5 billion deficit projected just a few short years.”
Meanwhile, DFL leaders highlighted the state’s robust rainy day funds that exceed $3 billion and tempered some concerns about the state’s future finances, vowing a balanced budget and bipartisan work this year to get it done.
“I am confident that we will do what we have done over the previous cycles, which is to responsibly manage Minnesota’s budget to leave long term economic stability and surpluses,” said House Speaker Melissa Hortman, DFL-Brooklyn Park.
Demuth pledged that House Republicans were sending out letters to all state agencies to get information about how many full-time positions for which they get a state appropriation are unfilled; the terms of leases on any buildings that may not be fully used due to hybrid work; and how many “DEI employees” have been added across each department.
She suggested the latter should be streamlined, so staff aren’t doing duplicative work.
“Given the fact that we have a budget crisis on the horizon, we need to start working now to evaluate efficiency of our state programs and working to root out the hundreds of millions of dollars in fraud that is still likely going on across state government,” she said.
The next legislative session begins January 14. To see the full budget documents, click here.
Minnesota
Mid-morning Minnesota winter weather update
Winter Storm Warning
until SUN 12:00 AM CST, Pipestone County, Cottonwood County, Rock County, Jackson County, Lyon County, Murray County, Nobles County, Faribault County, Watonwan County, Waseca County, Steele County, Freeborn County, Martin County, Redwood County, Blue Earth County, Brown County, Nicollet County
Minnesota
Obituary for Marcie Moe at Johnson Funeral Service
Minnesota
5 key takeaways from Minnesota’s loss to Stanford at the Acrisure Invitational
Minnesota began its Acrisure Invitational journey with some great energy against Stanford, but an injury to starting point guard Chansey Willis Jr. was too much to overcome in a hard-fought 72-68 loss. Here’s what we learned.
Minnesota has been without North Dakota transfer BJ Omot and Maryland transfer Chance Stephens in every regular-season game, while starting big man Robert Vaihola missed his second straight game on Thursday with a knee injury. Things got even more scarce after two early fouls sent Willis to the bench, and he came out of the locker room with a boot on his right ankle.
The Gophers were already not a very deep team, so taking away four rotational players is a massive issue for Niko Medved and a rebuilding program.
Subscribe: Sign up to receive the free Gophers On SI newsletter
With Vaihola out for the second straight game due to a knee injury, Minnesota slid Grove into the starting lineup for the first time in his college career. Nehemiah Turner did not see the floor after starting last week’s loss to San Francisco, and it was an eight-man rotation.
The Gophers coughed up 14 turnovers on Thursday night, compared to only eight for Stanford. The biggest difference was that Minnesota’s turnovers resulted in 27 Cardinal points. It’s hard to point to any other stat as the largest factor in Thursday’s result.
Reynolds was the first player off the bench for Minnesota, and he provided some serious energy to begin Thursday night’s game. He had a career-high 16 points in last week’s loss to San Francisco, and it looked like he would remain at that level against Stanford, but he struggled in the second half with six points, six rebounds, four assists and six turnovers on the night.
Asuma generated all the headlines when he opted to stay with the Gophers through the coaching change, but Grove also returned after redshirting last season. The 6-foot-9 big man from Alexandria, Minnesota, got the biggest opportunity of his college career against Stanford. He finished with five points and one rebound in 19 minutes. Medved opted to roll with Durkin in the closing lineup.
The Gophers will face Santa Clara on Friday night in the consolation game of the Acrisure Invitational.
-
Science1 week agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
Business5 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
Politics3 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
-
Ohio4 days agoSnow set to surge across Northeast Ohio, threatening Thanksgiving travel
-
Southeast1 week agoAlabama teacher arrested, fired after alleged beating of son captured on camera
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Why Democrats are warning about Trump giving illegal orders | CNN Politics
-
Technology4 days agoNew scam sends fake Microsoft 365 login pages
-
News4 days ago2 National Guard members wounded in ‘targeted’ attack in D.C., authorities say