Minneapolis, MN
Minnesota sees nation's sharpest car insurance hikes
Car insurance rates skyrocket in MN
Car insurance rates in Minnesota jumped 55 percent over the last year, a dramatic hike higher than those in every other state, according to a report by insurance website Insurify.
MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) – Car insurance rates in Minnesota jumped 55 percent over the last year, a dramatic hike higher than those in every other state, according to a report by insurance website Insurify.
The rise is nearly twice the national average, which was 28 percent, according to the report. The average annual cost of full coverage is $2,315, up from $1,492. The report measured a period between June 2023 and June 2024.
The report blamed severe weather for the surge in rates, pointing out the hailstorms in August 2023 that dropped golf- and baseball-size hail on the Twin Cities. Those storms caused 1.8 billion worth of damage, the report said. The uptick in claims cost the insurance companies, which then pass the cost to consumers.
But Andrew Whitman, a former deputy insurance commissioner and professor at the University of Minnesota, said drivers also share the blame.
“People are driving way over the speed limit, and when they crash it totals the car,” he said.
Only one other state, Missouri, saw a spike of more than 50 percent.
Whitman said consumers have more options than in years past if they want to switch carriers. He also noted that insurers don’t raise rates higher than necessary to avoid losing business.
“They can go to the market on the web in a way that they couldn’t do a few years ago, and that creates competition,” he said. “The insurance companies are not going to increase their premiums any more than they have to because they want to keep their market.”
Another way to save money, he said, is to keep your car, since insuring a new one is always more expensive.
Minneapolis, MN
Nonprofit honors George Floyd with yellow roses during Day of Remembrance in Minneapolis
People in Minneapolis took part in the Day of Remembrance to honor George Floyd on Friday, nearly six years after his death.
“As elder Spike Moss said to me, one of our honorees, we were talking and he said, ‘Leslie, you’re not just doing a program, you are doing a mission,’” said Leslie Redmond.
Redmond, the founder of Win Back, says her nonprofit’s mission isn’t just to make sure people remember — it’s to drive accountability, healing and change.
“We are remembering the resilience of our community. We are remembering the ecosystem that has been activated amongst us all,” said Redmond.
Individuals honored Floyd at a memorial brunch and at George Floyd Square, where people honored his memory with yellow roses.
“For us, in community, Day of Remembrance is literally just that. It is something that we see every day when we come to our offices and our businesses on the block, but today holds a special moment because we honestly get to honor the trauma that we’ve held for six years,” said Bridgette Steward.
The trauma was revealed in prayers on Friday.
“I pray for covering. I pray for restoration. I pray for healing. I pray for building. I pray for development. I pray for resources, ” said Redmond.
Prayers and calls to action for the next generation.
“And lay it with intention at George Floyd’s memorial for remembrance, for hope and for new beginnings,” said Danielle Miller.
Beginning with addressing all that has happened since the world witnessed the incident that sparked a worldwide justice movement.
“Here we are, six years later. Comedians are laughing and joking about it, corporations have abandoned the community, there is an attack on DEI and so it feels like the weight is heavier than before, which means we have to double down like never before,” said Redmond.
Win Back has awarded more than $50,000 in scholarships in George Floyd’s name.
Friday’s remembrance celebration holds special meaning as the city prepares to reconstruct 38th Street and Chicago Avenue. Organizers say it’s another sign of progress.
Business at George Floyd Square hopes for investment
Violinist Raycurt Johnson plays at George Floyd Square week after week.
Over the years, he’s seen the area change.
Once blocked off and defined by barricades, the intersection now carries a different rhythm. City officials are recommending the Minnesota Agape Movement to help develop the Peoples’ Way site at George Floyd Square. At the same time, businesses are starting to take root.
Larry Robinson opened Big L’s Soul Food and Steakhouse in the area by chance, but now believes it is a community that deserves investment.
“They are tired of this. They want their neighborhood back,” Robinson said in an interview with WCCO. “I would definitely like to see this community have a bigger and better facelift.”
Even with new businesses and new plans, the meaning of the space hasn’t faded. WCCO asked Johnson what type of feeling he wants people visiting on Monday, six years to the day since George Floyd died, to walk away with.
“The Sense of this is what community looks like,” he said.
Minneapolis, MN
George Floyd Day of Remembrance: Watch live
MINNEAPOLIS (FOX 9) – The George Floyd Day of Remembrance is being held in Minneapolis to mark six years since he was killed by Minneapolis police.
A live stream of the event can be viewed in the player above. The events are expected to begin at 9 a.m. on Friday.
This story will be updated with the latest developments throughout the day.
George Floyd Day of Remembrance
Local perspective:
A remembrance brunch will be held in downtown Minneapolis before a yellow flower ceremony at George Floyd Square.
Organizers say this gathering will likely be the last one held at George Floyd Square in its current form before the city begins reconstruction in the area next month.
The family of Emmet Till will also be in attendance to show their support.
There will also be $50,000 in scholarships awarded.
Killing of George Floyd
After George Floyd: DOC 9
George Floyd’s murder in Minneapolis sparked protests, civil unrest and calls for police reform across the country. Five years later, FOX 9 examines what has and hasn’t ? changed since May 25, 2020.
The backstory:
The killing of George Floyd sparked a movement for police accountability in the summer of 2020 after he died in custody of Minneapolis police after an officer held a knee to his neck for nearly nine minutes.
READ MORE: Who was George Floyd?
Floyd was 46 years old when he died while in police custody outside of Cup Foods at E 38th St and Chicago Ave in Minneapolis on May 25, 2020. The police were called to Cup Foods because Floyd had allegedly used a counterfeit $20 at the store.
A teenager captured his arrest on video, which showed then-Minneapolis Police Officer Derek Chauvin holding his knee on Floyd’s neck. In the video, Floyd calls for his mother and repeatedly states he can’t breathe before appearing to lose consciousness.
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner ruled Floyd’s death as a homicide, citing the cause of death as cardiopulmonary arrest complicating law enforcement subdual, restraint, and neck compression. Other significant conditions listed included heart disease, fentanyl intoxication and recent methamphetamine use.
The intersection of 38th and Chicago became known as George Floyd Square, where community members can honor his memory through art and gatherings.
The Source: This story uses information shared by event organizers and previous FOX 9 reporting.
Minneapolis, MN
Homicide investigation underway in north Minneapolis after double shooting leaves 16-year-old dead
A 16-year-old boy is dead after a shooting in north Minneapolis on Thursday night.
Police responded to the 1300 block of 18th Avenue North around 5:30 p.m. on a report of multiple shots fired. Officers at the scene found a 16-year-old boy with life-threatening injuries, Minneapolis police said.
He died at the scene, according to Minneapolis police.
A 44-year-old man who was in the area during the shooting was also hit and suffered a non-life-threatening gunshot wound. Police say he drove away from the area to a gas station near Broadway Avenue and Knox Avenue North, where officers responded and brought him to the hospital.
Investigators are looking into the circumstances around the shooting. No arrests have been made.
A 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS photographer captured evidence markers with bullet casings, crime scene tape and a large number of first responders.
“This is another heartbreaking act of violence that has left a young person dead, another individual wounded, and families suffering unimaginable pain,” said Chief O’Hara. “Our investigators are working urgently to determine exactly what happened and to identify every person responsible for this violence.”
Editor’s note: A spokesperson for Minneapolis police initially told 5 EYEWITNESS NEWS the victim was a “young adult man.” A later update from police said the victim was a juvenile.


To get the latest updates on this story sent to your mobile device, download the KSTP app at the links below.
-
Entertainment1 minute ago
‘Housewives’ star Erika Girardi settles $25-million lawsuit over money from husband’s firm
-
Lifestyle7 minutes agoThe BoF Podcast | Leena Nair and Matthieu Blazy on Creativity and the Power of the Human Hand
-
Politics13 minutes ago‘A bridge too far?’: As GOP senators revolt, Trump defends fund and attacks defectors
-
Science19 minutes agoCaltech could lose control of JPL for the first time
-
Sports25 minutes agoCity Section baseball finals: Friday scores, Saturday schedule
-
World37 minutes ago
China ‘won’t win anything’ if it ‘destroys’ Europe’s industry, French minister tells Euronews
-
News1 hour agoGarden Grove gas leak: Live evacuation maps, closures and updates
-
Los Angeles, Ca3 hours agoFirefighters make progress on wildfires burning across Southern California
