Connect with us

Minneapolis, MN

'Defund the police' mecca of Minneapolis overrun with violence, ‘failed leadership': former AG candidate

Published

on

'Defund the police' mecca of Minneapolis overrun with violence, ‘failed leadership': former AG candidate


Join Fox News for access to this content

Plus special access to select articles and other premium content with your account – free of charge.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

A string of shootings in Minneapolis last week left six victims dead and five others injured in just 24 hours, highlighting “the results” of “years of anti-police rhetoric and failed leadership,” 2022 Minnesota attorney general Republican nominee Jim Schultz told Fox News Digital.

Advertisement

Minneapolis authorities on Thursday announced the arrest of James Ortley, an alleged 34-year-old gang member, in connection with an April 29 mass shooting that left four dead and two injured. 

The April 29 incident was the first of six shootings in 24 hours that left a total of six people dead and five others injured, police said, adding that investigators are determining if some of the shootings are connected.

“Minneapolis, sadly, is experiencing the tragic consequences of years of anti-police rhetoric and failed leadership from the Minneapolis State Council and the lunatic county prosecutor of Hennepin County in which Minneapolis sits,” said Schultz, a father of four and president of the Minnesota Private Business Council. “When city officials demonize law enforcement and slash police budgets and refuse to prosecute the criminals, the results are bought on the streets.”

DOJ OPENS PROBE AFTER LEFT-WING DA REQUIRES PROSECUTORS TO CONSIDER RACE IN PLEA DEALS

Minneapolis authorities on Thursday announced the arrest of James Ortley, an alleged gang member, in connection with a mass shooting that left four dead and two injured. (Minneapolis Police)

Advertisement

Particularly, after George Floyd’s murder by police in 2020, Minneapolis became “ground zero” for the “defund the police” movement, Schultz noted, adding that public sentiment toward police and officer retention hasn’t been the same since.

Protesters demonstrate outside a burning fast-food restaurant in Minneapolis on May 29, 2020, amid protests over the death of George Floyd. (AP Photo/John Minchillo)

“Years later, police staffing is still down,” he said. “We still have half the police officers that we need. Morale is shattered and criminals feel emboldened because, originating out of that defund-the-police movement … the county prosecutor in Minneapolis, Mary Moriarty, is one of the [George] Soros-funded, hard-left prosecutors who has embraced every policy imaginable to undermine public safety.”

SOROS PROSECUTOR RIPPED FOR FAILING TO CHARGE WALZ STAFFER OVER TESLA VANDALISM: ‘2-TIERED JUSTICE SYSTEM’

Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara speaks at a Thursday news conference announcing the arrest of James Ortley. (KMSP)

Advertisement

Schultz said Moriarty is “aggressively pursuing law enforcement” and “electing to … dismiss cases that give lenient plea deals to individuals who had committed serious violent crime, and otherwise embracing a variety of very woke policies, like taking race into account in sentencing guidelines and otherwise.”

The suspect in Tuesday’s mass shooting, for example, has a lengthy criminal history.

Hennepin County records show Ortley was allegedly involved in a crime spree that resulted in a Minneapolis resident being shot through his bedroom window in February, but the district attorney ultimately denied charges for the 34-year-old, as the Star Tribune first reported.

LEFT-WING DA FORCING PROSECUTORS TO CONSIDER ‘RACIAL IDENTITY’ IN PLEA DEALS

Items are placed as a memorial at the site of an April 29 mass shooting on May 2, 2025, in Minneapolis. (Mark Vancleave)

Advertisement

In approximately the last 15 years, he has also faced charges ranging from DWIs to first-degree aggravated robbery, fleeing a police officer, illegal possession of a firearm and second-degree assault. These charges stem from two violent incidents in which he allegedly shot at a 16-year-old girl while stealing her phone in 2009 and stabbed a man at a bar in 2021.

A witness described Ortley’s weapon used in the attack as a “3-inch-long pocket knife.” The witness further said she saw the victim run away from the defendant, lose his shoe and turn around, at which point Ortley grabbed the victim and “began stabbing him in the back,” according to Hennepin County records.

In the 2021 bar stabbing, Ortley’s latest charge, he was sentenced to serve 39 months in prison and five years of probation, but the court issued a stay of execution, which temporarily stops the sentencing order.

A police officer works on the scene as a bystander reacts to a homicide in front of 2107 Cedar Ave S in Minneapolis on April 30, 2025. (Richard Tsong-Taatarii/Star Tribune )

The Hennepin County Attorney’s Office (HCAO) did not immediately respond to Fox News Digital’s request for comment.

Advertisement

Schultz said Minneapolis has seen a recent “improvement in the number of homicides in this city, in particular.”

“This, of course, is a huge step back … and a reminder that Minneapolis is still operating with a fraction of the police officers it needs,” Schultz said of the mass shooting. “It’s still operating in an environment in which many in city leadership are hostile to law enforcement and that crime problems in the city still persist, even if they are not at their peaks in the way that they were in 2020, ‘21, ’23, ’24.”

Several shootings in Minneapolis over a 24-hour period last week resulted in the deaths of six people. (Richard Tsong-Taatarii/Star Tribune )

The former attorney general nominee said Hennepin County should “set aside these far-left bizarre policies that say that holding [criminals] accountable is somehow unfair because of the circumstances in which they found their lives.”

“We need to ensure that violent criminals are put in prison, for a just amount of time for the victims and for the public safety,” he said.

Advertisement

The Justice Department on Sunday announced an investigation into whether the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office “engaged in a pattern of practice of depriving persons of rights, privileges or immunities secured or protect by the Constitution or laws of the United States” through Moriarty’s new directive for its prosecutors to consider race when negotiating plea deals with criminal defendants.

Hennepin County Attorney Mary Moriarty (Mark Vancleave)

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

In a letter dated May 2, DOJ officials cited Moriarty’s recently adopted “Negotiations Policy for Cases Involving Adult Defendants,” which instructs prosecutors to consider race when formulating plea offers, stating that “racial identity … should be part of the overall analysis” and that prosecutors “should be identifying and addressing racial disparities at decision points, as appropriate.”

“In particular, the investigation will focus on whether HCAO engages in illegal consideration of race in its prosecutorial decision-making,” Justice Department officials said in the letter, which Assistant Attorney General of the Civil Rights Division Harmeet Dhillon shared on X.

Advertisement

Fox News’ Danielle Wallace contributed to this report.



Source link

Minneapolis, MN

Minneapolis fire leaves 1 person seriously injured, dog dead

Published

on

Minneapolis fire leaves 1 person seriously injured, dog dead


One person is recovering from serious injuries after the Minneapolis Fire Department rescued them from a burning home.

Minneapolis Thanksgiving fire

What we know:

Advertisement

The Minneapolis Fire Department said its crews battled a fire at a two-story home in the 3600 block of Garfield Avenue South around 4:45 p.m. on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day. 

Crews then used a ladder to rescue the person from the second story of the burning home. 

Advertisement

That person, identified only as an adult, was taken to the hospital in serious condition. 

A dog died after crews rescued it from the home, according to the Minneapolis Fire Department. 

What we don’t know:

Advertisement

Authorities have not shared any details on what may have caused the fire.

Details on the rescued adult were not specified. 

Advertisement

The Source: This story uses information shared by the Minneapolis Fire Department. 

FireMinneapolis



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

SERVPRO of Downtown Minneapolis/Team Clemente Expands Technology Investment

Published

on

SERVPRO of Downtown Minneapolis/Team Clemente Expands Technology Investment


November 26, 2025 – PRESSADVANTAGE –

SERVPRO of Downtown Minneapolis/Team Clemente has announced significant investments in advanced restoration technology and enhanced service capabilities to better serve Minneapolis-area property owners facing water, fire, and mold damage. The expansion represents the company’s ongoing commitment to delivering comprehensive restoration solutions using industry-leading equipment and proven methodologies.

The technology enhancement initiative focuses on upgrading the company’s restoration equipment arsenal and implementing advanced techniques designed to restore damaged properties to their pre-loss condition more efficiently. These improvements complement the company’s existing IICRC certifications in water damage restoration, mold remediation, and fire damage restoration, strengthening their position as a comprehensive restoration service provider in the Minneapolis market.

Advertisement

SERVPRO of Downtown Minneapolis/Team Clemente has served the Minneapolis community for over ten years, building expertise in addressing the region’s specific restoration challenges. The company’s approach combines emergency response capabilities with reconstruction services, providing property owners with integrated solutions from initial damage assessment through complete restoration.

The investment in advanced technology addresses the increasing complexity of restoration projects in the Minneapolis area, where properties frequently experience damage from severe weather conditions, frozen pipes, and seasonal flooding. The enhanced capabilities enable the company to handle both residential and commercial restoration projects with greater precision and efficiency.

“We recognize that property damage situations require both immediate response and long-term restoration expertise,” said Scott Clemente, Owner of SERVPRO of Downtown Minneapolis/Team Clemente. “Our investment in advanced technology ensures we can provide Minneapolis property owners with the most effective restoration solutions available.”

The company’s comprehensive approach includes direct communication with insurance adjusters and thorough damage documentation, streamlining the claims process for property owners. This service model has positioned the business as a preferred provider among insurance professionals and property owners throughout the Minneapolis metropolitan area.

SERVPRO of Downtown Minneapolis/Team Clemente maintains 24/7 emergency response capabilities, averaging 60-minute response times for urgent situations. The company’s team of over 65 employees provides coverage across downtown Minneapolis and central Minneapolis neighborhoods, addressing water damage from burst pipes, sewage backups, storm flooding, and equipment failures.

Advertisement

The technology expansion also enhances the company’s mold remediation capabilities, addressing moisture-related issues that commonly affect Minneapolis properties due to the region’s climate conditions. Advanced moisture detection and air quality monitoring equipment enable more precise identification and remediation of mold problems in basements, crawl spaces, and other vulnerable areas.

Fire damage restoration services benefit from upgraded soot removal technology and enhanced deodorization capabilities. The improved equipment allows for more effective smoke odor elimination and water damage mitigation from firefighting efforts, reducing overall restoration timelines for affected properties.

The company’s damage restoration services encompass both mitigation and reconstruction phases, providing property owners with continuity throughout the restoration process. This integrated approach eliminates the need for multiple contractors and ensures consistent quality standards from initial emergency response through final reconstruction.

As a family-operated business, SERVPRO of Downtown Minneapolis/Team Clemente continues to prioritize community relationships and customer service excellence. The technology investment reinforces the company’s commitment to maintaining industry leadership in restoration capabilities while preserving the personalized service approach that has defined their reputation in the Minneapolis market.

Advertisement

The enhanced technology capabilities position SERVPRO of Downtown Minneapolis/Team Clemente to address evolving restoration challenges with greater precision, efficiency, and reliability. These advancements strengthen their ability to respond quickly to complex property damage scenarios and reinforce their role as a trusted restoration partner for Minneapolis-area property owners facing unexpected water, fire, or mold damage situations. By combining certified expertise with cutting-edge tools, the team continues to deliver consistent, high-quality outcomes that safeguard properties.

###

For more information about SERVPRO of Downtown Minneapolis/Team Clemente, contact the company here:

SERVPRO of Downtown Minneapolis/Team Clemente
Scott Clemente
(651) 564-9277
scott@servpro10278.com
1770 Hennepin Ave B1, Minneapolis, MN 55403

Advertisement

Information contained on this page is provided by an independent third-party content provider. XPRMedia and this Site make no warranties or representations in connection therewith. If you are affiliated with this page and would like it removed please contact pressreleases@xpr.media



Source link

Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Minneapolis Blanketed With Snow Overnight

Published

on

Minneapolis Blanketed With Snow Overnight


Minneapolis residents woke up to snow on Wednesday, November 26, after the first snowstorm of the season dumped several inches of snow on parts of Minnesota. This footage filmed and posted to X by user @JonathanQ12345 shows snow blanketing a street in Minneapolis’ North Loop neighborhood on Wednesday morning. According to the National Weather Service (NWS), parts of Minneapolis received 2 to 3 inches of snow, while neighboring areas received 4 to 5 inches. Snowfall is expected to end on Wednesday, the NWS said. Credit: @JonathanQ12345 via Storyful



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending