Indianapolis, IN
Suspect’s cellphone reveals new details in Hailey Buzbee case
FISHERS, Ind. (WISH) — Court records have revealed new information in the death and disappearance of Hailey Buzbee.
The 17-year-old Hamilton Southeastern High School student was reported missing on Jan. 5, sparking a search that garnered national attention. Police later discovered her remains in Perry County, Ohio, prompting an outpouring of support from friends, coworkers, and the community.
Ohio police confiscated a black 2014 Acura driven by Tyler Thomas, 39, and his Android cellphone. They’re investigating its contents to piece together what happened.
Thomas initially told police he picked up Buzbee from her Fishers’ home and dropped her off at the Indiana-Ohio border. But police said, Thomas’ cellular data contradicts that, and he traveled directly to Columbus, Ohio, and then to a rental cabin about an hour away in Logan, Ohio. According to police, Thomas said he was alone, but rental records show the reservation was for two people.
Documents claimed Thomas admitted to police he met Buzbee while gaming online and they were communicating on an encrypted app called Session for more than a year. He said that app was used to plan the juvenile’s runaway attempt. Session’s terms of use indicate users must be at least 18 years old. Buzbee was 17.
Greg Schiller has seen this pattern before. He’s part of Child Rescue Coalition, an organization dedicated to protect children from sexual exploitation. “Predators will meet children in any number of places across the internet, websites, apps, gaming systems, and they will bridge them over to another application that the predator feels is more secure and that the victim will feel no one will see those messages. Session, among other apps, provide that anonymity for the offender to protect themselves from potential law enforcement investigation on the back end.”
Additionally, a hairtie and 47 photographs were found inside the Acura. Police swabbed it for DNA and were awaiting results.
Thomas’ lawyer said Thomas led police to Buzbee’s remains.
Police said Thomas is the last known person to have contact with the teen.
Thomas has not been charged in Buzbee’s disappearance and death, but he is charged with pandering sexual material involving minors and tampering with evidence. Police say a photo of another child being sexually abused was found on Thomas’s cellphone.
A court hearing set Tuesday for Thomas has been canceled.
Indianapolis, IN
Standouts on and off field: 3 finalists for Indianapolis City Male Athlete of the Year
Bishop Chatard senior Kalen Sargent is the City Male Athlete of Year
City Male Athlete of the Year Kalen Sargent picked up track as a sophomore at Bishop Chatard. He will run at IU on scholarship.
The Marion County Athletic Association will soon name its City and County Athletes of the Year, an award that dates to 1950 and grew to include girls’ achievements in 1979.
The awards are geared toward athletic achievement, but almost every winner over the years has exhibited impressive credentials in and out of their athletic, academic and personal areas. Generally, multi-sport athletes are given consideration over single-sport athletes, though in some cases a single-sport athlete has been so outstanding that he or she has been selected as the winner.
Here are the three finalists for City Male Athlete of the Year (Bishop Chatard’s Kalen Sargent was last year’s winner):
Phoenix Boyer, Bishop Chatard
Boyer, a track and field and cross county standout, was the state runner-up in the 300-meter hurdles as a junior and state runner-up in the 4×400-meter relay as a sophomore and junior. Boyer was an All-City in cross county as a junior, a three-time sectional champion in track and field and a six-time state finalist (with the spring still to be completed). He was part of two City championships in cross country and three City titles in track and field. Chatard finished 11th in state last year. Boyer, an honor roll student with a 4.17 GPA, is the school record holder in the 400, 300 hurdles and 4×400 relay team. He owns the fourth-fastest time in the 300 hurdles in state history. Boyer plans to run track at Indiana.
Kyle Harden, Cathedral
Harden was an eight-time letterwinner in football and wrestling for the Irish, winning four City championships during his high school career. He was the City Defensive Player of the Year as a junior and was twice named All-City. Harden won four sectional titles, three regional championships and three semistate titles in wrestling. He helped his team to four City championships and four sectional, regional and semistate titles. Harden, selected for the IFCA North-South All-Star game, was named Academic All-State and is part of Cathedral’s student athletic board. He will play football at UIndy.
Corshawn Sartin, Crispus Attucks
Sartin earned a total of 12 letters in high school in football, baseball, basketball, boys volleyball and track and field. He was named to the All-City football team, earning Athlete of the Year designation. He was two-time all-conference, two-time All-City and an all-state defensive back. Sartin helped his Attucks’ teams to four conference football titles. He is a member of the honor roll and plans to study business and play football at Trine. Sartin volunteered with the Red Dog Youth Football organization.
Call Star reporter Kyle Neddenriep at (317) 444-6649.
Indianapolis, IN
Indianapolis VA Medical Center receives federal funding for facility upgrades
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center announced it received new federal funding for facility upgrades aimed at improving care for veterans.
The funding is part of a nationwide $4.8 billion investment through the VA’s maintenance program.
In a release, hospital leaders say the upgrades will help ensure safer facilities and better care for local veterans.
The projects include repairing roofs on two buildings and replacing the parking garage sprinkler system.
According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, “this investment is just one of the many ways the Trump Administration is making VA work better for veterans.” The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs says 100,000 new veterans have been enrolled in VA health care this year, and since January 2025, 34 new VA health care facilities have opened.
In addition, 51,936 homeless Veterans across the country have been permanently housed in the 2025 fiscal year, according to the release.
“Improved facilities, equipment and infrastructure mean better care for Veterans, and these funds will enable Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center to achieve that goal,” Michael Hershman, Medical Center Director said.
“Better care for Veterans is our goal, and these projects will enable us to achieve just that.”
Indianapolis, IN
National BDPA Conference returns to Indianapolis with focus on future tech leaders
-
Minneapolis, MN2 minutes agoBruce Springsteen Sings a Rallying Cry as Colbert’s ‘Late Show’ Ends
-
Indianapolis, IN8 minutes ago
Standouts on and off field: 3 finalists for Indianapolis City Male Athlete of the Year
-
Pittsburg, PA14 minutes agoCan you see new lion cub at Pittsburgh Zoo? Timeline for public debut
-
Augusta, GA20 minutes agoAugustans wonder if SPLOST 9 plans will be completed
-
Washington, D.C26 minutes agoDHS directs flights to US from Ebola affected countries to Dulles International Airport
-
Cleveland, OH33 minutes agoOff-duty Cleveland Police officer involved in deadly shooting in Glenville neighborhood
-
Austin, TX39 minutes agoArizona State softball heads to super regionals at Texas with momentum
-
Alabama45 minutes agoAMAZING AMERICA 250: Alabama BBQ Joints Keeping Tradition on the Fire