Connect with us

Indianapolis, IN

Rahal Letterman Lanigan searching for speed at Indy | Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette

Published

on

Rahal Letterman Lanigan  searching for speed at Indy | Northwest Arkansas Democrat-Gazette


INDIANAPOLIS — There was a quiet sort of confidence among the four drivers at Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing on the eve of Indianapolis 500 qualifying this year.

The team had invested heavily over the previous 12 months, shoring up parts of its program that had fallen behind, and there was a steadfast belief there was speed in their cars.

But by the end of the weekend, Graham Rahal nearly found himself in the exact same spot as last year.

That was when the son of team co-owner Bobby Rahal was bumped from the 33-car field on the final run of qualifying, though he would ultimately race as the replacement for injured Stefan Wilson. And it was then that the elder Rahal told Steve Eriksen, the team’s chief operating officer, “In 30 days, I want a plan for how we’re going to turn this ship around.”

Advertisement

The plan involved investments in technology. Infrastructure. Most importantly, people. The team built out its engineering department so that Rahal and teammates Takuma Sato, Christian Lundgaard and Pietro Fittipaldi wouldn’t sweat qualifying.

“It was a big investment for Mike and I,” Bobby Rahal said of co-owner Mike Lanigan, “but we’re not here just to be here.”

The gains appear to have translated to the track for some of the drivers. Sato, a two-time race winner, put his car in the Fast 12 that raced for the pole, and he will start 10th on Sunday. Lundgaard and Fittipaldi will start in Row 10, deep in the field but in a position that allowed them to avoid the pressure of bump day.

Then there was Graham Rahal, who was among the four drivers left fighting for three spots last Sunday.

As the last-chance qualifying session was drawing to a close, Rahal found himself holding onto the 33rd spot as 19-year-old rookie Nolan Siegel headed out for a last try. The similarity to last year, when then-teammate Jack Harvey was attempting to bump him from the field, was not lost on Rahal, who was left to watch his fate unfold from pit road.

Advertisement

The wait wound up being short. Siegel crashed on his qualifying run and Rahal was in the field.

“I know a lot of you guys are probably sitting in here thinking I’m out of my mind, but we did make gains this year. It’s that simple,” Rahal said. “We were five to six miles an hour off. We’re not there anymore.”

They are still well back of Team Penske, though, which nailed down the first row, with Scott McLaughlin setting a pole qualifying record of 234.220 mph. Rahal, by comparison, ran a four-lap average of 229.974 to get himself into the field.

In that respect, Rahal was still left wondering what the issue might be. His team swapped Honda engines, changed everything from gear ratios to aerodynamic bits and yet still couldn’t seem to figure out why the No. 15 car had struggled to find speed.

“There’s a lot of little bits to this that make a difference,” Rahal said, “and then you guys see how close it is. It’s very, very, very close. A mile an hour makes I don’t know how much of a spread, but a ton of cars (on the race track).”

Advertisement

When asked why Sato has been able to run closer to the front, Rahal replied: “I think Takuma is an anomaly. You can see that. Takuma, he’s got a hell of an engine, man. Unfortunately or fortunately. But compared to the rest of us? You see where the other three cars are the same, right? There’s one that’s different. That’s just the way it goes sometimes.”

But it’s not supposed to be the way it goes. Not after all the investments Rahal Letterman Lanigan Racing has made since last year, when Bobby Rahal called qualifying “embarrassing” and “hell,” and Lanigan admitted, “It was ugly.”

The speed and depth to which the team sank remains head-scratching. Sato gave RLL its second win in the race in 2020, when it was run in August because of the pandemic. The following year, Rahal was leading just past the midway point when his tire came off after a pit stop, sending him careening into the Turn 2 wall and ending such a promising day.

So what happened? What left RLL in such a bind?

“We got caught sleeping, frankly,” Lanigan said. “Very depressing winter. Bob and I totally committed to the resources required for this to not happen again, and quite frankly, the sting will not go away until one of these guys are on the podium.”

Advertisement
    Graham Rahal looks at the speeds of cars before climbing into his car during a practice session for the Indianapolis 500 auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Thursday, May 16, 2024, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
 
 
  photo  Graham Rahal is greeted by his family after qualifying for the Indianapolis 500 auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Sunday, May 19, 2024, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
 
 
  photo  Takuma Sato, of Japan, stands behind a screen in his pit box during a practice session for the Indianapolis 500 auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Monday, May 20, 2024, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
 
 
  photo  Takuma Sato, of Japan, drives into Turn 2 during qualifying for the Indianapolis 500 auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway in Indianapolis, Sunday, May 19, 2024. (AP Photo/Michael Conroy)
 
 
  photo  Christian Lundgaard, of Denmark, waits in pit lane during qualifications for the Indianapolis 500 auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Saturday, May 18, 2024, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
 
 
  photo  Helio Castroneves, from left, of Brazil, Christian Lundgaard, of Denmark, and Conor Daly talk before a practice session for the Indianapolis 500 auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Monday, May 20, 2024, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
 
 
  photo  The crew for Christian Lundgaard, of Denmark, push tires back to the garage during a rain-delayed practice session for the Indianapolis 500 auto race at Indianapolis Motor Speedway, Tuesday, May 14, 2024, in Indianapolis. (AP Photo/Darron Cummings)
 
 



Source link

Indianapolis, IN

Indianapolis VA Medical Center receives federal funding for facility upgrades

Published

on

Indianapolis VA Medical Center receives federal funding for facility upgrades


INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center announced it received new federal funding for facility upgrades aimed at improving care for veterans.

The funding is part of a nationwide $4.8 billion investment through the VA’s maintenance program.
In a release, hospital leaders say the upgrades will help ensure safer facilities and better care for local veterans.

The projects include repairing roofs on two buildings and replacing the parking garage sprinkler system.

According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, “this investment is just one of the many ways the Trump Administration is making VA work better for veterans.” The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs says 100,000 new veterans have been enrolled in VA health care this year, and since January 2025, 34 new VA health care facilities have opened.

Advertisement

In addition, 51,936 homeless Veterans across the country have been permanently housed in the 2025 fiscal year, according to the release.

“Improved facilities, equipment and infrastructure mean better care for Veterans, and these funds will enable Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center to achieve that goal,” Michael Hershman, Medical Center Director said.

“Better care for Veterans is our goal, and these projects will enable us to achieve just that.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Indianapolis, IN

National BDPA Conference returns to Indianapolis with focus on future tech leaders 

Published

on

National BDPA Conference returns to Indianapolis with focus on future tech leaders 


The National BDPA Conference is returning to Indianapolis this summer, bringing together technology professionals, students and industry leaders from across the country for four days of networking, mentorship and innovation-focused programming.



Source link

Continue Reading

Indianapolis, IN

American Red Cross opens new donation centers in Indianapolis and Noblesville

Published

on

American Red Cross opens new donation centers in Indianapolis and Noblesville


(WISH) — The American Red Cross urges eligible donors to give blood and platelets this month at new donation centers in Indianapolis and Noblesville.

Donors have a chance to win tickets to the June 4 Indiana Fever game vs. the Atlanta Dream and receive a beach towel while supplies last.

The drives aim to ensure a stable blood supply during summer, with specific incentives offered for donations made through May 31.

The Indianapolis center is at 1510 N. Meridian St. The Noblesville center is at 14765 Hazel Dell Crossing.

Advertisement

To make an appointment, call 800-733-2767 or visit RedCrossBlood.org.

This story was formatted for WISHTV.com using AI-assisted tools. Our editorial team reviews and edits all content published to ensure it meets our journalistic standards for accuracy and fairness.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending