Indianapolis, IN
Planned Parenthood closing 2 Indy clinics, citing loss of federal money
How an Indiana abortion ruling could expand access in red states
When Indiana’s abortion ban was struck down in part, it presented a potential path for similar challenges in other states that could broaden access.
Planned Parenthood will shutter two Indianapolis clinics, leaving its Georgetown Road facility as the only local branch of the nationwide organization.
The Midtown and Southside locations will close effective Friday, April 3. The Georgetown health center will have “additional appointment availability and services” in the wake of the closure, according to Planned Parenthood’s regional website.
Patients receiving ongoing care like birth control or hormone replacement therapy can continue to do so through telehealth or by visiting another Planned Parenthood location, the website said.
“Because of changes to federal funding, including the loss of Medicaid reimbursements, we are making difficult but necessary adjustments to our health center network so we can continue caring for patients in our communities for years to come,” an FAQ posted with the closure announcement read in part.
Planned Parenthood estimated in 2024 that about half of patients receive care paid through either Medicaid or the Title X family planning program, which covers contraception and STI screening for low-income Americans. The Trump administration has moved to block the organization from receiving money from both streams.
Trump’s signature budget legislation, the “One Big Beautiful Bill,” passed in July 2025 with a provision banning clinics that provide abortion, including Planned Parenthood, from receiving Medicaid reimbursement for one year.
It has been illegal since 1976 to use federal dollars, including Medicaid, to cover abortion unless it’s necessary to save a life or to terminate a pregnancy caused by rape or incest. Planned Parenthood does not perform any abortions in Indiana, as the state’s near-total ban only allows the procedure to be performed in narrow circumstances at hospitals or their surgery centers.
For months, Planned Parenthood contested the constitutionality of the Medicaid funding ban in various federal courts, dropping its case on Jan. 30, 2026, after an appeals court ruled in the government’s favor.
Though the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services restored Title X money to clinics in December 2025 after withholding it for eight months, recipients learned last week that they have one week to reapply for funding. That’s typically a months-long process, and more than 100 congressional Democrats are asking HHS to extend current grants for another year, NPR reported on March 17.
Ryan Murphy is the communities reporter for IndyStar. She can be reached at rhmurphy@indystar.com.
Indianapolis, IN
Indianapolis VA Medical Center receives federal funding for facility upgrades
INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) — Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center announced it received new federal funding for facility upgrades aimed at improving care for veterans.
The funding is part of a nationwide $4.8 billion investment through the VA’s maintenance program.
In a release, hospital leaders say the upgrades will help ensure safer facilities and better care for local veterans.
The projects include repairing roofs on two buildings and replacing the parking garage sprinkler system.
According to the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, “this investment is just one of the many ways the Trump Administration is making VA work better for veterans.” The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs says 100,000 new veterans have been enrolled in VA health care this year, and since January 2025, 34 new VA health care facilities have opened.
In addition, 51,936 homeless Veterans across the country have been permanently housed in the 2025 fiscal year, according to the release.
“Improved facilities, equipment and infrastructure mean better care for Veterans, and these funds will enable Richard L. Roudebush VA Medical Center to achieve that goal,” Michael Hershman, Medical Center Director said.
“Better care for Veterans is our goal, and these projects will enable us to achieve just that.”
Indianapolis, IN
National BDPA Conference returns to Indianapolis with focus on future tech leaders
Indianapolis, IN
American Red Cross opens new donation centers in Indianapolis and Noblesville
(WISH) — The American Red Cross urges eligible donors to give blood and platelets this month at new donation centers in Indianapolis and Noblesville.
Donors have a chance to win tickets to the June 4 Indiana Fever game vs. the Atlanta Dream and receive a beach towel while supplies last.
The drives aim to ensure a stable blood supply during summer, with specific incentives offered for donations made through May 31.
The Indianapolis center is at 1510 N. Meridian St. The Noblesville center is at 14765 Hazel Dell Crossing.
To make an appointment, call 800-733-2767 or visit RedCrossBlood.org.
This story was formatted for WISHTV.com using AI-assisted tools. Our editorial team reviews and edits all content published to ensure it meets our journalistic standards for accuracy and fairness.
-
Culture30 minutes agoVideo: The A.I. threat to audiobooks
-
Lifestyle36 minutes agoStephen Colbert takes his last bow in late night : Pop Culture Happy Hour
-
Technology48 minutes agoIn SpaceX’s IPO, Elon Musk is a risk factor
-
World54 minutes agoTwo suspected American communist insurgents killed in clash in the Philippines
-
Politics60 minutes agoColorado Democrats formally censure Gov Polis over Tina Peters commutation
-
Health1 hour agoNew obesity treatment may help preserve muscle during weight loss
-
Sports1 hour agoLeBron James fuels Cleveland Cavaliers reunion speculation after appearing to like Instagram post about return
-
Technology1 hour agoMeta Medicare scam ads targeting seniors face scrutiny