Indianapolis, IN
Ex-Formula 1 Driver Mick Schumacher Tests IndyCar At Indianapolis
Former Formula 1 Driver Mick Schumacher prepares for his first IndyCar test on October 13.
IndyCar Photo by Joe Skibinski
The famed “Schumacher” name returned to the race course at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on October 13, as former Formula 1 driver Mick Schumacher completed his first team in an Indy car.
The 26-year-old son of Formula 1 Champion Michael Schumacher drove a Rahal Letterman Lanigan Honda around the Indianapolis Motor Speedway road course on Monday. His father, the first seven-time Formula One World Champion, is the all-time leader for wins on the IMS Road Course with five between 2000 to 2006.
However, the current IMS road course is a different layout than the one that was used for the United States Grand Prix at IMS from 2000 to 2007.
Schumacher drove the No. 75 Honda in an IndyCar trial with Rahal Letterman Lanigan.
Mick Schumacher crosses the famed “Yard of Bricks” at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
IndyCar Photo Joe Skibinski
Schumacher’s Initial Impressions
Schumacher elaborated on his first IndyCar drive after Monday’s test session concluded.
“It was obviously good to get to know the car, get to know the team,” Schumacher said. “I think we managed to get through all the run plan and the test items we wanted to do, so obviously very happy with that.
“I think we’re stoked about what the lap times are doing, and I think it wasn’t a main target, but still it went pretty well. I’m happy about today.”
Schumacher arrived in Indianapolis early last Friday to visit the team and have a seat-fitted to his body for the test. Afterwards, he spent time in the Honda simulator in nearby Brownsburg, Indiana to learn the new style of racing machine.
“I think it was a great preparation,” he said. “I think it was really important for me to kind of get to see how a race weekend would run out, and I think it was kind of close to that.
“It was good to have the time with the team also back in the factory before I came out to the test. The simulator itself was a great opportunity for me to get a taste of the car before actually driving it, so it wouldn’t be a complete surprise, even though it wouldn’t have been. It was actually pretty close to what I’m used to and what I’ve driven before.
“It was very productive and very happy about the preparation we’ve done.”
Although this is an IndyCar trial, Schumacher admitted he would be open to an IndyCar opportunity as early as next season.
“I think in terms of what I’m doing in 2026, it’s very open,” he said. “Obviously the options are all there. I think IndyCar is one of them, so I really just wanted to know what it was so that I can make my mind up.
“I have different options, and this being one of them, so I think, yeah, there is good potential. It’s about me now trying to figure out what I want to do and if this is one thing that I would consider for long-term.”
Schumacher’s Testing Results Fare Well Against Other IndyCar Drivers
Schumacher’s test day on the 14-turn, 2.439-mile IMS road course was shared with NTT IndyCar Series veterans Alexander Rossi and Christian Rasmussen of Ed Carpenter Racing along with INDY NXT by Firestone drivers Caio Collet (AJ Foyt Racing), Dennis Hauger (Dale Coyne Racing), Lochie Hughes (Andretti Global) and James Roe (Juncos Hollinger Racing).
Dennis Hauger climbs into the Dale Coyne Racing Honda during a test session at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway on October 13, 2025.
CHRIS OWENS 2025 IG:@CHRISOWENS CHRISOWENSPHOTOGRAPHY.COM
It was the first time Schumacher returned to an open-wheel, single-seater race car since the final race of the 2022 F1 World Championship season. Since then, he has served as a Formula 1 reserve driver and competed in the FIA World Endurance Championship (WEC) in sports cars.
“I think that’s what is kind of attracting me to it,” Schumacher admitted. “I love having open wheels. I think one of the things my dad always said was, ‘the Schumacher’s are usually faster if they can see their wheels.’
“I kind of do like that quote. I think it’s just the appeal of racing 17 times a year.”
Schumacher attended the 109th Indianapolis 500 earlier in May and was amazed with the spectacle and the crowd.
Although he has never competed on an oval track, Monday’s focus was adapting to the Indy car on the road course.
Dennis Hauger was the fastest around the 2.439-mile, 14-turn road course with a best lap of 1:10.768. Rossi was second for Ed Carpenter Racing at 1:10.858 and Schumacher was third at 1:10.980. He was followed by Collet’s 1:11.048, Hughes at 1:11.356, Rasmussen at 1:11.493 and Roe’s 1:11.600.
Because it was a test session, all times are “unofficial.”
Schumacher Comfortable Back In An Open Wheel Race Car
The driver with an impressive racing heritage was most happy to see his wheels again.
“I did enjoy the track,” Schumacher said. “It was good. Obviously very old-school. I like it. You get punished if you make a little mistake, but not in a bad way. You just go off into the grass, for example.
“I love seeing my wheels, for sure. It’s obviously a bit different to all the single seaters that I’ve driven so far, as we have Aeroscreen, so it was getting kind of hot at times, and air flow is a bit difficult, but those are all things you’re kind of getting used to and understanding about what those little change and differences are.
“I think there’s great potential in safety in that Aeroscreen, so I think that’s where why everybody is very happy about it. Nonetheless, maybe the disadvantages it brings, like air flow. Yeah, I think it’s been fun. It’s been good to see the car, and it’s been fun to drive it.”
Mick Schumacher celebrating the 2020 F2 Championship. (Photo by Joe Portlock – Formula 1/Formula 1 via Getty Images)
Formula 1 via Getty Images
Schumacher compared the current Indy car to the Formula 2 car that he once drove to the championship. He noted the car is a little heavier in terms of steering. IndyCar does not use power steering, unlike other forms of racing.
“You have to be a bit more aggressive (with the Indy car),” Schumacher explained. “You can be more aggressive. The tires do take quite a bit of that, let’s say, rigid driving. Yeah, there’s a lot of fun in that. There’s a lot of fun. I think every aspect has their benefits and negatives.
“It has been good to see. It’s been good to see the difference, and I think both have their flare.”
Schumacher’s IndyCar Decision Remains Down the Road
A decision on whether Schumacher will join IndyCar is “quite far down the road” the driver said.
“I think obviously at some point I want to be sure about my future, so I think it won’t be too long until I make a decision,” Schumacher continued. “Whether that’s going to happen before or after I do an oval test, I do not know.
“I still have got to let everything sink in a bit, figure it out, and yeah, I guess I have to decide down the line. It’s hard to say how high the percentage is.
“Today has been very fun, but yeah, I guess I’ve got to analyze a bit more and see what, yeah, that would look like.”
But the No. 1 thing that Schumacher finds attractive about IndyCar is the style of racing depends more on the driver than the technology of the racing machine.
In Formula 1, the most successful drivers have the most technologically advanced race car.
“The fact that they rely so heavily on the driver is something that really spiked my interest and made it interesting for me to come out and try,” Schumacher concluded.
Mick Schumacher flashes by the famed Indianapolis Motor Speedway “Winged Wheels” log.
IndyCar Photo
Indianapolis, IN
6-year-old boy dies following accidental shooting, IMPD says
Man and woman found shot inside home after Thanksgiving house fire
A man and woman are dead after being found shot inside a home during a house fire on Thanksgiving morning in the 3700 block of Audubon Road.
A 6-year-old boy is dead after accidentally shooting himself with a relative’s handgun, an Indianapolis Metropolitan Police spokesperson confirmed.
At 4:09 p.m., on Nov. 27, officers were called to a home in the 5200 block of Corgan Way on the city’s southwest side. Officers found the boy shot, and he was taken to an area hospital in critical condition but later died.
“Your heart just sinks. We just have to do better. We cannot allow our little ones, who were the voice for, who are just innocent and don’t know any better, to get a hold of a weapon like this,” Officer Tommy Thompson said. “It’s just sad. Far too young. For this child’s life that’s been taken, I hope we can take something from it.”
Thompson said the boy’s parents were on their way to the city and other family members were taken downtown for questioning. No one is being detained at this time.
“It sounds like a tragic accident. There are no words that can ever express the feeling that I’m sure this family member’s going through, who was the owner of this firearm, and how it got into this child’s hands. Their mental health is going to have to be monitored for a while,” Thompson said.
In a statement online, IMPD Chief Chris Bailey said, “Our entire department is holding this family and our community close to our hearts this evening.”
“My heart goes out to the family and everyone who knew this child, a life gone far too soon,” The statement read. “This loss is especially heartbreaking on a day meant for gratitude.”
Thompson offered a reminder to the community that Indianapolis Public Libraries have free gun locks available, and if someone has a firearm they don’t want anymore, the department will take it to have it destroyed.
Earlier in the day, two people were killed after a shooting on the city’s east side. A man and woman were found shot inside a home after the Indianapolis Fire Department was called about a house fire. The man was pronounced dead at the scene, and the woman was taken to a hospital in critical condition but later died.
Two young children were also found inside the home, but were unharmed.
“I have two families from this morning and this afternoon, just gutted on a Thanksgiving,” Thompson said. “This is a quiet community behind me, this complex. I just can’t imagine how they’re impacted as well, how scary that is.”
Jade Jackson is a Public Safety Reporter for the Indianapolis Star. You can email her at Jade.Jackson@IndyStar.com and follow her on X, formerly Twitter @IAMJADEJACKSON.
Indianapolis, IN
Colts’ QB future could take unexpected turn with Daniel Jones
When the Indianapolis Colts signed quarterback Daniel Jones to a one-year, $14 million contract during the NFL offseason, no one knew what to expect. Some felt that Jones could revitalize his career as the starter, while many others felt that he would end up being a backup behind former No. 4 overall pick Anthony Richardson.
Jones quickly won the starting job during training camp and preseason action. He has looked the part of a franchise quarterback for the Colts this season.
Through his first 11 games with the team, the 28-year-old signal caller has completed 69.1 percent of his pass attempts for 2,840 yards, 17 touchdowns, and seven interceptions. He has also picked up 159 yards and five touchdowns on 43 rushing attempts.
Read more: Travis Kelce, Patrick Mahomes May Help Make NFL History on Thanksgiving
Due to his impressive play so far this season, the expectation has been that Indianapolis will reward him with a long-term contract. However, that might not end up being the case.
Over the last few weeks, the Jones magic has begun to slow. He hasn’t played bad football, but he has not been nearly as good as he was early in the season. That has led to some concern about investing too much into him.
His track record is also a potential concern. Jones received big-time money from the New York Giants a few years back. That move ended up being a massive mistake for the Giants and the Colts do not want to double down on the same mistake with the same player.
To that end, an unexpected turn has been suggested for Indianapolis.
James Boyd of The Athletic has shared his idea that Indianapolis doesn’t give Jones a huge long-term deal. Instead, he thinks that the Colts could franchise tag the quarterback.
“Jones has really struggled against the blitz lately after torching aggressive defenses earlier this year,” Boyd wrote. “Countering the blitz has never been his strong suit, and if Jones and the Colts are unable to find a solution for dealing with extra pressure, it’s worth questioning how much Indianapolis should invest in him long term, which is where the franchise tag could come in handy.”
Read more: Minnesota Vikings Emerge Again in Aaron Rodgers Speculation
Giving Jones the franchise tag instead of a lucrative long-term extension would give the franchise at least one more year to make a final decision. There is no need to rush a long-term decision.
There is no question that Jones could be the team’s future under center. But, it’s always better to be safe than sorry in a situation like a monster quarterback contract extension.
Only time will tell, but the Jones situation could get interesting for Indianapolis. The Colts will have a tough decision to make when the 2025 season comes to an end.
For more on the Indianapolis Colts and general NFL news, head over to Newsweek Sports.
Indianapolis, IN
Person shot in critical condition on east side of Indianapolis
INDIANAPOLIS — Indianapolis Metropolitan Police officers are investigating a shooting on the city’s east side that left one person in critical condition on Wednesday.
IMPD officers responded to a report of a person shot in the 2000 block of Kildare Avenue. When officers arrived on scene, they located a victim with injuries consistent with gunshot wounds.
The victim was transported to a local hospital and reported to be in critical condition.
Police have not released information about the circumstances surrounding the shooting or whether any suspects have been identified.
The investigation remains ongoing.
-
Science6 days agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
World1 week agoPoland to close last Russian consulate over ‘unprecedented act of sabotage’
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Is Trump a lame duck now? | CNN Politics
-
World1 week agoZelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
-
Business3 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
California1 week agoApple settles with EPA after whistleblower tip on toxic waste dumping in California