Alaska
Majority lawmakers say Alaska schools need more money from state
Lawmakers succeeded last year in their effort to permanently boost the state’s per-student funding formula for K-12 public schools, twice overriding Gov. Mike Dunleavy’s vetoes to cement an increase that educators had long asked for.
But after years of flat funding from the state and declining enrollment, districts across Alaska this year say they are still in dire straits. The Anchorage School District, which last year spent down its budget reserve amid state funding uncertainty, is facing a $90 million deficit. The Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District has a $23 million deficit. The Kenai Peninsula Borough School District is estimating a deficit of $8.5 million. Juneau schools face a deficit of more than $5 million.
Senate Education Committee Chair Löki Tobin called the funding increase approved last year “woefully insufficient.”
The bipartisan majority coalition in the Alaska House is still prioritizing school funding, said House Education Committee Co-Chair Rep. Rebecca Himschoot, a Sitka independent, in an interview on Tuesday. But the mechanism by which that funding stability will be achieved remains unclear, she said.
“Education remains one of our No. 1 priorities, so we’re not backing away from it in the House Majority coalition, in any way at all,” said Himschoot. “Now the political reality of what’s possible is a different story. So whatever is possible — we’re committed to doing — and the limitation is what is actually possible.”
That political reality is shaped by limited revenue and “advocacy fatigue” that has left Alaskans tired of again asking for a funding boost after making it a flagship issue during the preceding two legislative sessions.
Last year’s boost to the state’s education formula was hailed by districts as a success, though it amounted to less than half the funding amount that public educators requested in 2024. Last year’s legislation yielded no effective revenue increase to most schools, because it came on the heels of an outside-the-formula spending boost of equal size in the preceding fiscal year.
In effect, the state’s K-12 education budget dropped between last year and the current year, by roughly $20 million, following a student enrollment drop of nearly 1,000 students.
Alaska has 125,317 public school students this year, according to data collected in the fall by the state. That’s down from 126,284 in 2024; 127,931 in 2023; and 128,088 in 2022.
Despite lawmakers’ hard-fought battles over education funding in recent years, the state’s effective spending on K-12 schools has remained virtually unchanged, going from $1.29 billion in the 2023 fiscal year to $1.33 billion in the current fiscal year, a roughly 3% increase, far below the inflation rate in the same period.
The governor’s budget draft introduced in December accounts for no new education funding this year, even as Dunleavy asked for spending increases for most other executive branch departments, to account for salary increases and other inflation-driven costs.
“Everything that our state government does requires increases every year, and yet we’re not providing those increases to education,” said Himschoot.
Funding woes have translated to different challenges across the state. In urban areas, including Anchorage, stagnant state funding has led districts to shutter enrichment programs and sports and grow class sizes. In rural areas, districts are struggling to keep buildings operational and qualified teachers in classrooms.
Ideas for shoring up education funding this year abound, said Himschoot and Tobin. They include pegging the state’s funding formula, known as the Base Student Allocation, to an inflation metric; providing dedicated funding streams for high-value budget items like reading coaches and vocational instructors; and upping state spending on the maintenance and repair of school buildings.
But three weeks into the legislative session, it is not immediately clear which of those ideas — if any — could garner enough support from the House and Senate to become law and fit into a tight budget process.
“We’ve got to get 11 votes in the Senate, 21 votes in the House, and hopefully get it past the governor. If that’s not the case, then I’m going to be working to get 40 (votes),” said Tobin, alluding to the threshold needed to override the governor.
Senate leaders said Tuesday that they are focused on addressing a backlog that has left school buildings with deferred maintenance and repair projects worth more than $2 billion.
The Legislature has in recent years funded only a fraction of maintenance projects identified as priorities by schools. The identified priorities are themselves an undercount of needed projects, lawmakers say, because some districts have stopped applying to the state for funding.
Dunleavy has during his tenure repeatedly slashed education funding to the tune of tens of millions of dollars annually for both school operations and maintenance. He has not commented publicly this year on whether he would allow an education funding increase to become law or again use his veto pen.
“The Senate majority is continuing to look for pathways to help support our struggling public school infrastructure, and also our public school services, and we are going to use every opportunity and everything available to us to invest in the best and most important resource our state has, which is our children,” said Tobin, an Anchorage Democrat.
Himschoot said she doesn’t think it’s realistic “at all” to again increase the Base Student Allocation by $700, which is what lawmakers did last year — bringing it from $5,960 to $6,660. But a smaller increase may be possible, she said.
“Will there be some kind of BSA inflationary adjustment? I think that’s on the table. Will there be funding to other programs that bring relief to districts? I think that’s on the table. In the absence of a solid fiscal plan, it’s really hard to talk about what’s possible,” Himschoot said.
Dunleavy last year vetoed a bill approved by lawmakers that would have raised between $25 million and $65 million by applying the state’s corporate income tax to Outside companies providing online services to Alaskans. That bill would have directed the new revenue to reading assistance and vocational programs in Alaska schools. After lawmakers failed to override Dunleavy’s veto last month, House majority members reintroduced the revenue bill. It is scheduled for a hearing later this week.
The House Education Committee is currently considering a bill from Rep. Andi Story, a Juneau Democrat who co-chairs the committee, which would change the way the state allocates money to districts. The bill would allow the districts to average out their attendance numbers over a three-year period, rather than using a single-year figure, among other changes. That would provide districts with more funding stability even as their enrollment numbers fluctuate.
The change is based on recommendations that appeared in a 2015 report commissioned by lawmakers.
According to Dunleavy administration education officials, the change could increase state spending on schools more than $70 million in the coming fiscal year. Of that, roughly $23 million would go to the Anchorage School District; nearly $10 million would go to the Matanuska-Susitna Borough School District; and more than $8 million would go to the Kenai Peninsula borough School District.
But it’s not immediately clear whether that bill will get the support needed to advance.
“I don’t see $70 million low-hanging fruit anywhere in the state right now,” said Himschoot.
“To me, it’s reasonable,” she said on the prospect of spending that amount from state savings. “To some of my colleagues, it’s not reasonable at all.”
Daily News reporter Mari Kanagy contributed from Juneau.
Alaska
‘It was incredibly swift’: Why an Alaska family was removed to Mexico this week, one son sent to Tacoma ICE facility Friday
ANCHORAGE, Alaska (KTUU) – Days after a Mexican woman and her three children were taken into custody by Immigrations and Customs Enforcement in Soldotna, with the mother and two youngest children deported within 36 hours to Tijuana, Mexico, the timeline of events and process of deportation is becoming clearer.
Sonia Espinoza Arriaga, a Mexican national who recently married Alexander Sanchez-Ramos, a U.S. citizen, spoke with Alaska’s News Source by phone Wednesday evening from a transit station in Tijuana with her 5-year-old and 16-year-old children who were deported with her.
Her 18-year-old son Alexis Arriaga was first taken into custody of Alaska’s Department of Corrections, according to Alaska immigration attorney Lara Nations, before being transferred to the Northwest ICE Processing Center in Tacoma, Washington, on Friday.
ICE detainees from Alaska typically spend a few days in DOC custody before transfer to the Tacoma Detention Center.
Family says attorney advised them to continue normal life
Arriaga’s husband, Alexander Sanchez-Ramos, a U.S. citizen, said the family consulted with their attorney after the missed hearing and the notice of removal was issued. He said the attorney advised them to continue their daily lives while the firm worked on next steps.
“They said that this letter — to continue to live our life as we were, go to work, all that,” Alexander said. “And … that this could possibly happen. And if and when it happened, to contact them, so therefore they can go with these next, the next steps.
“So in reference to that question, yes, but we were assured that the process would be different.”
Coming to the US
Sonia Arriaga says she entered the United States in 2023 and turned herself in at the border, triggering removal proceedings, which is a civil court process to determine whether she qualified for asylum, another form of relief, or would be ordered to deport.
Arriaga said she fled her home in Jalisco, Mexico due to domestic violence and gang activity.
She said her oldest son Alexis was brought to the United States separately several months after she and her younger sons arrived.
Alaska’s News Source asked Nations about the nature of Alexis’ immigration case and were told this week that attorneys are still gathering information about the family’s case.
Nations said she is unsure why Alexis is being separated from the family following their detention this week because those under 21 are considered minors in some civil proceedings, which means they tend to be included in a parent’s immigration proceeding.
Attorney: deportation was unusually swift
The family’s attorney confirmed the law generally permits ICE to make arrests and carry out removal orders. She said individuals have a 90-day window to file a motion to reopen a case after a removal order is issued, but noted that window does not prevent the government from acting on the removal order.
“ICE can effectuate the order in general. But it’s not a guarantee. Like, you will get 90 days and then you will be deported. No. There’s no, like, stay of the government’s ability to remove someone during that time period,” the attorney said.
The attorney said the speed of the deportation was notable.
“Yes. It was very fast. We are very far away from Mexico here. And that was incredibly swift. The federal government usually is slow moving in general,” she said.
18-year-old son detained separately
Arriaga’s 18-year-old son, Alexis Arriaga, was not deported with the others. He was placed in the Anchorage jail and has since been transferred, according to the family. The reason he was separated from the rest of the family has not been confirmed.
ICE spokespeople had not responded to requests for comment on the Arriaga case as of the time of this report.
See a spelling or grammar error? Report it to web@ktuu.com
Copyright 2026 KTUU. All rights reserved.
Alaska
Why an Alaska family was removed to Mexico this week, one son sent to Tacoma ICE facility Friday
Alaska
Alaska Army National Guard rescues overdue snowmachiner in remote area north of Bethel
JOINT BASE ELMENDORF-RICHARDSON, Alaska – An Alaska Army National Guard aircrew assigned to Bethel conducted a successful search and rescue mission to locate and extract an overdue snowmachiner during a mission coordinated through the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center.
The mission opened Feb. 15 in response to a request for assistance from the Alaska State Troopers to perform a search for an overdue snowmachiner who had been snowmachining north of Pilot Station. The Alaska Army National Guard accepted the mission through AKRCC and launched a UH-60L Black Hawk helicopter from Bethel to search the area.
The aircrew searched for approximately three and a half hours, covering more than 100 square miles of terrain before eventually locating the individual about 110 miles north of Bethel, roughly 30 miles east of his last known location.
One of the aircrew members involved in the mission, Chief Warrant Officer 3 Nick Lime, said the team first located the individual on the evening of Feb. 15 but was unable to immediately extract him due to challenging terrain and fuel limitations.
“We located him that night, and another crew member and I snowshoed about half a mile trying to link up with him,” Lime said. “But with fuel running low and the deep snow conditions, we couldn’t make it all the way in, so we dropped a survival radio and some water to make sure he could stay in contact and had what he needed overnight.”
On the morning of Feb. 16, with a storm approaching, the Army Guard aircrew returned to the area to deliver additional supplies.
“There was a storm coming in, so we flew up to drop supplies,” Lime said. “We were concerned about him being able to hold out in those conditions.”
Using the previously dropped radio, the aircrew re-established communications with the stranded snowmachiner. He had managed to free his snowmachine but reported that his feet were hurting and freezing.
“We got him to ride it about 100 to 150 yards closer to the trail we had made the night before,” Lime said.
The crew then dropped a set of snowshoes to help him continue moving. When the snowmachine became stuck again, members of the aircrew transitioned to movement on foot.
“Once on the ground, I snowshoed another quarter mile to him,” Lime said. “I was able to link up with him and walk him back to the hawk.”
As Lime made his way toward the stranded snowmachiner, the Black Hawk pilots remained in radio communication with the individual, encouraging him to keep moving and continue working his way closer to the aircraft.
After reaching the aircraft, the crew brought the individual aboard and transported him to a medical facility in Bethel for evaluation.
The mission highlights the close coordination between the Alaska State Troopers, the Alaska Rescue Coordination Center, and the Alaska Army National Guard, as well as the aircrew’s ability to adapt to rapidly changing conditions in remote winter terrain.
-
Montana2 days ago2026 MHSA Montana Wrestling State Championship Brackets And Results – FloWrestling
-
Oklahoma4 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Culture1 week agoRomance Glossary: An A-Z Guide of Tropes and Themes to Find Your Next Book
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Science1 week agoWhat a Speech Reveals About Trump’s Plans for Nuclear Weapons
-
Culture1 week agoVideo: How Much Do You Know About Romance Books?
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
News1 week ago
Second US aircraft carrier is being sent to the Middle East, AP source says, as Iran tensions high