Connect with us

Pittsburg, PA

Special Olympics Pennsylvania’s torch run returns for 14th year

Published

on

Special Olympics Pennsylvania’s torch run returns for 14th year


A long-running tradition returned to Pittsburgh on Tuesday.

This is the 14th year for Special Olympics Pennsylvania’s “Be A Fan” torch run.

Now, the Special Olympics Pennsylvania torch is on its journey away from PNC Park through its three-day, 150-mile trip to Penn State University.

Over 350 runners representing nearly 40 law enforcement agencies are Guardians of the Flame on the torch as it’s passed off every two and a half to four miles until it reaches State College for the 2025 Pennsylvania Special Olympics Summer Games. 

Advertisement

The competition officially starts on June 5, but on Tuesday, runners like Pennsylvania State Police’s Tabitha Jacoby are accompanied by local Special Olympics program athletes.

“They’ll say, time and time again, ‘We love you guys, you’re our heroes,’ when really, they’re our heroes,” said Jacoby.

Organizers said this torch run brings the community together like no other event.

“If you have a chance to meet one of the athletes, they’re always smiling, they’re always happy to see you. And the general public can learn a lot from these athletes,” said State Law Enforcement Torch Run Director Matt Porter.

“We have law enforcement; we have people out on the streets supporting our law enforcement. We have athletes running alongside,” said Special Olympics Pennsylvania Vice President of Strategic Partnerships Andrew Fee. Fee added that the games are “highly competitive, good sportsmanship, a lot of fun when you’re not on the field.”

Advertisement

These athletes compete to represent Pennsylvania in the Special Olympics USA Games. 

Athletes like swimmer Gianfranco Schiaretta said he’s ready for this statewide competition, “feeling confident, feeling strong.”  

He said it takes a lot of hard work, and to him, this torch, with the Flame of Hope, represents so much. 

“Desire, devotion, and discipline is the biggest thing,” said Schiaretta.

It’s a symbol of what our athletes with special abilities accomplish every day.

Advertisement



Source link

Pittsburg, PA

Mike Wagner, member of Steelers Steel Curtain defense, dies at 76

Published

on

Mike Wagner, member of Steelers Steel Curtain defense, dies at 76


Mike Wagner, a member of the Pittsburgh Steelers’ famed “Steel Curtain” defense, has died, the team said. He was 76 years old.  

Steelers president Art Rooney II announced Wagner’s death in a statement on Wednesday night. The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette reported that Wagner had been battling pancreatic cancer since being diagnosed in the summer of 2020.

“We are deeply saddened by the passing of Mike Wagner, a tremendous player and an integral part of some of the most successful teams in Pittsburgh Steelers history,” Rooney’s statement said on Wednesday. 

Wagner, an 11th-round pick in the 1971 NFL draft out of Western Illinois, was a member of four Super Bowl-winning teams as a defensive back. He made the Pro Bowl in 1975 and 1976, and was a second-team All-Pro selection in 1976. 

Advertisement

“His toughness and consistency were paramount to our secondary. His contributions on the field were significant, but it was also his steady presence and team-first mentality that truly defined him,” Rooney’s statement said. 

Wagner played all 10 seasons with the Steelers, appearing in 119 games, including starting 116 games. He tallied 36 interceptions, including a career-high eight in 1973. In his final season in 1980, he had six interceptions in 15 games.  

“On behalf of the entire Pittsburgh Steelers organization, we extend our heartfelt condolences to Mike’s family,” Rooney’s statement said. “He will always be remembered as a champion, a great teammate, and a proud member of the Steelers family.”



Source link

Continue Reading

Pittsburg, PA

3 Pittsburgh-area museums voted best in the nation

Published

on

3 Pittsburgh-area museums voted best in the nation



Three Pittsburgh-area museums have been voted best in the nation. 

Advertisement

USA Today released its 10Best list of the country’s top museums on Wednesday. The Heinz History Center, Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh and Pennsylvania Trolley Museum all made the list.

Each museum was up against 19 other nominees in their respective categories. USA Today editors made the nominee list and let readers vote for their top picks. 

Heinz History Center

For a third year in a row, the history center has been recognized as the country’s top history museum. 

“This national honor reflects the History Center’s impact in connecting and inspiring communities here in Western Pennsylvania and across the nation,” Andy Masich, history center president and CEO, said in a news release. “As we approach the 250th anniversary of the United States, there is no better time to engage with our shared past, and we welcome visitors to experience America’s #1 history museum this year.”

Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh

For the past three years, the Children’s Museum of Pittsburgh has been voted the second-best children’s museum in the country. Now it’s nabbed the top title. It’s also the museum’s eighth time on the list.

Advertisement

“We are thrilled to be acknowledged for our innovative, hands-on exhibits and programs as the leading children’s museum in the country,” executive director Jane Werner said in a press release. “This honor is equally shared by our dedicated museum team who provide joyful learning experiences each day and the local children and families who bring these experiences to life.”

Pennsylvania Trolley Museum

The Pennsylvania Trolley Museum was named the best small town museum in the country. 

“We are deeply honored to receive this national recognition along with so many other prestigious, small town museums,” said executive director and CEO Jeanine DeBor. “This distinction acknowledges the importance of transportation history in our country, specifically the important mission of preserving the Trolley Era. We are thankful to everyone who voted for us.” 



Source link

Continue Reading

Pittsburg, PA

Oakmont passes resolution barring borough from working with ICE on non-criminal investigations

Published

on

Oakmont passes resolution barring borough from working with ICE on non-criminal investigations



Oakmont Borough Council passed a resolution barring the borough from working with Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents on non-criminal investigations. 

Advertisement

The resolution was passed with a unanimous vote during a meeting on Tuesday. The council said it includes not working with agents from ICE and Customs and Border Protection. 

“Our council is taking a position,” said Scot Fodi, the borough manager. “We are protecting our residents regardless of where they are from or where they started.”

The resolution comes after federal immigration agents detained Oakmont resident Jose Flores earlier this month. Local leaders said Flores was here legally on a valid work visa with an affirmative pending asylum case. He was later released. 

“I’m so proud of Oakmont and all the residents of Oakmont for doing what they are doing and our council,” Oakmont resident Christa Bartos said. 

During Tuesday’s meeting, Oakmont Police Chief Michael Ford addressed the resolution, reiterating that his department will cooperate with any agency in a criminal investigation. 

Advertisement

“We will always cooperate when it comes to criminal offenses,” Ford said. “They have been invaluable. We respect their safety as well.”

Oakmont Borough Council also passed a resolution on sending a letter to acting ICE Director Todd Lyons regarding the detainment of Flores. The council is asking for answers about why the Department of Homeland Security did not notify borough officials or the police department about conducting operations in the borough. 

KDKA reached out to the Department of Homeland Security, but did not hear back on Tuesday. 



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending