World
Commission denies singling out NGOs in green funding row
After a vote during a fractious meeting of the European Parliament’s environment committee, the row over the funding of non-governmental organisations in the EU policy bubble is rolling on, with a statement from the EU executive provoking criticism that it was bending to pressure from the political right.
The conservative European People’s Party (EPP) and allies further to the right lost by one vote on Monday evening a motion objecting to the EU executive’s decision on funding NGOs through the LIFE Programme for the period 2025 to 2027.
In a subsequent statement, the Commission noted that funding for NGOs was “explicitly provided for in the LIFE Regulation” and that it remained “fully committed to ensuring a healthy and vibrant civil society”. However, it also stated some work programmes attached to grant agreements “contained specific advocacy actions and undue lobbying activities”.
The EPP seized on the latter statement, with the co-sponsor of the censure motion Sander Smit saying the Commission had “finally admitted” wrongdoing – although Budget Commissioner Piotr Serafin did just that in the parliament in January, when he acknowledged use of EU funds to lobby MEPs was inappropriate.
Smit pointed to the EU executive’s fresh commitment to preclude “lobbying that targets specific policies or MEPs” from grant agreements, prevent conflicts of interest and review transparency. “This is good news for EU taxpayers, for the integrity and balance of EU Institutions and for the separation of powers,” he said.
“It is also good news for those parts of civil society organisations that work transparently and fairly,” the Dutch lawmaker added.
The European Environmental Bureau, among the largest green groups operating in Brussels, welcomed the Commission’s acknowledgment of the “essential role” of NGOs, but pointed to “serious questions” the process had raised around “blackmailing and backdoor influencing by some political groups”.
Commission denies ‘singling out’ NGOs
Faustine Bas-Defossez, the group’s policy director, said public funding enabled NGOs to work in the public interest and represent voices that would otherwise go unheard by policy makers. “If that’s considered ‘undue lobbying’, then we must seriously question what those standards mean for the future of democratic accountability in Europe,” she said.
The Socialists & Democrats group, second in size only to the EPP, slammed what it sees as submission to pressure from the right and demanded that environment commissioner Jessika Roswall explain why green groups are being “singled out”.
“This politically motivated move risks legitimising right-wing attacks to silence civil society,” the S&D said on social media. “We won’t accept this.”
Asked by Euronews to respond to this criticism, a spokesperson for the EU executive, Balazs Ujvari, said guidance issued last May applied to all beneficiaries of funding through the LIFE Programme, which has a budget of €5.43 billion for the period 2021-2027, of which NGOs shared about €15 million last year, with individual grants capped at €700,000.
Private companies, local authorities and research foundations also receive LIFE funding, but the issues that prompted the EU executive to take action had arisen in relation to NGOs “according to our own research and assessment”, Ujvari said.
“We don’t want to be seen as obliging…non-governmental organisations to lobby concrete members of the European Parliament,” the Commission official said. “This is the main consideration for us.”
Eurosceptics demand a parliamentary inquiry
If the EPP’s latest statement seemed somewhat conciliatory – they “strongly support the LIFE programme and recognise the very important role of NGOs”, the group’s environment policy coordinator Peter Liese said – the same cannot be said for the co-sponsor of the failed parliamentary motion, the eurosceptic ECR group.
On the morning after the vote, co-chair Nicola Procaccini told reporters in Strasbourg that the ECR wanted to set up a parliamentary committee of inquiry into what they are characterising as a full-blown corruption scandal.
“We have successfully gathered the required number of signatures to initiate the procedure for a formal committee of inquiry about the so-called Timmermans-gate,” Procaccini said, adding that the proposal would be put forward at the next meeting of parliamentary group presidents, who set the parliamentary agenda.
However, it appears far from likely that the initiative will succeed. The ECR and its allies further to the right would need the support of the EPP, so the position of group leader Manfred Weber at the meeting on Thursday morning (3 April) will be decisive.
An official contacted by Euronews said the group had not formally discussed the subject. “However, the EPP generally does not support the multiplication of special parliamentary committees, especially when existing committees, such as CONT, are already fully capable of addressing the issue.”
The official was referring to the parliament’s committee on budgetary control, which is due to adopt on 7 April its report on the discharge of the Commission’s 2023 budget.
Greens co-chair Terry Reintke told Euronews that NGOs play an “essential role in balancing the interests of business in European legislation” and it “goes without saying that EU funds must be spent according to the rules”, but she questioned the ECR’s motives.
“Following the script of Donald Trump and Viktor Orbán, ECR wants to silence NGOs and civil society, and we call on EPP members to stick with the democratic centre,” the German lawmaker said.
The EU Court of Auditors is due to present next week an eagerly awaited report into NGO funding that, although it will not specifically target groups operating primarily in the Brussels policy making bubble, will no doubt shine a light on the EU executive’s monitoring and transparency practices.
World
Trump Considers Building a Military Base in Gaza as Peace Plans Clash With Reality
Israeli strikes on Gaza have killed about 600 people since a cease-fire began, according to health officials in the territory. Many displaced Palestinians are still living in tents. And there are some 60 million tons of war debris to be cleared.
World
Iran covertly repositions strike drones amid Russia drills in Strait of Hormuz, expert says
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Iran repositioned strike drones and other military assets under the cover of joint drills with Russia in the Strait of Hormuz Thursday, a defense expert claimed.
In what he described as a “calculated escalation” amid rising tensions with the U.S., Cameron Chell said Iran’s latest move also followed reports of sightings of U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones with precision strike capabilities in the region.
“The Russian drills would cover for the Iranian forces to move their drones into strike position,” Chell, of defense firm Draganfly, told Fox News Digital. “They’ve gone under the veil of doing the military exercises, which happened to be along the coastline, and this is an escalation.”
UK BLOCKS TRUMP FROM USING RAF AIR BASES FOR POTENTIAL IRAN ATTACK: REPORT
Defense expert Cameron Chell has called Iran’s military moves with Russia a “calculated escalation.” (Iranian Army/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)
The combined exercises, reported by The Associated Press, also came as President Donald Trump pressed Iran further to make a deal to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions following indirect talks in Geneva.
“We’re going to make a deal, or we’re going to get a deal one way or the other,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Thursday, signaling determination to secure an agreement.
MORNING GLORY: WHAT WILL PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP DECIDE TO DO WITH IRAN?
Iran’s latest moves reportedly follow sightings of U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones. (John Moore/Getty Images)
Meanwhile, on Feb. 18, U.S. Central Command posted photos showing F/A-18 Super Hornets landing on the decks of the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian Sea.
Flight-tracking data in recent days also showed U.S. Navy MQ-4C Triton surveillance drones operating near Iran’s coastline.
One Triton was observed Feb. 14 and another on Feb. 18, conducting high-altitude maritime intelligence missions over the Gulf.
“The U.S. deployed an MQ Triton drone, which is a surveillance drone, so it does not have strike capability, and it typically flies at around 50,000 feet,” Chell said.
He added the drones would likely launch from land bases in countries such as Saudi Arabia or Qatar and provide real-time situational awareness to naval commanders.
TRUMP’S SPECIAL ENVOY WITKOFF AND KUSHNER VISIT US AIRCRAFT CARRIER AMID IRAN TENSIONS, TALKS
“The Russian drills would cover for the Iranian forces to move their drones into strike position,” Chell told Fox News Digital. (Iranian Army/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)
“These drones can guide the U.S. on Iranian forces performing exercises with the Russians and where they might be moving equipment to,” Chell said before describing how they fly them “at an altitude so that the Iranians can see it so they become a deterrent.”
Chell also said an MQ-9 Reaper drone was deployed, which he said can fly between 25,000 and 40,000 feet.
“This has strike capability, but Iranians do not have great capability to take these down,” he added.
As previously reported by Fox News Digital, the USS Gerald R. Ford, the second aircraft carrier Trump has sent to the Middle East, and its accompanying ships are heading across the Atlantic Ocean into the Mediterranean Sea.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
NATO country and U.S. ally Poland also warned its citizens Thursday to immediately flee Iran, with its prime minister saying the “possibility of a conflict is very real.”
World
French far right asks European Parliament to mark death of activist Quentin Deranque
Patriots for Europe is seeking a minute of silence int he European Parliament for Quentin Deranque, a French far-right activist who died after a brawl with left-wing activists in Lyon, during a session dedicated to the anniversary of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
-
Oklahoma2 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Science1 week agoA SoCal beetle that poses as an ant may have answered a key question about evolution
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Politics1 week agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
Fitness1 week ago‘I Keep Myself Very Fit’: Rod Stewart’s Age-Defying Exercise Routine at 81