Connect with us

Northeast

Pittsburgh mayor declares he will not cooperate with ICE on raids: 'People feel scared'

Published

on

Pittsburgh mayor declares he will not cooperate with ICE on raids: 'People feel scared'

Pittsburgh Mayor Ed Gainey emphasized Monday that his administration would not be working with U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) to arrest illegal immigrants.

Speaking to the Pennsylvania Press Club Monday, Gainey said, “I am not going to be working with ICE. My administration will not work with ICE. We will do whatever is necessary to make our city more welcoming.”

When asked, Gainey attacked ICE, claiming that it would not solve the ongoing immigration crisis.

“ICE is not going to end the situation of a failed immigration policy. It’s not going to do it,” Gainey said. “What it is going to do is create more situations where people feel scared. Where people don’t feel safe. Where people do things they normally wouldn’t do.”

MAYORS, LOCAL OFFICIALS COULD FACE ARREST IF THEY DON’T COMPLY WITH TRUMP’S MASS DEPORTATIONS

Advertisement

Several sanctuary city leaders have said they would not work with the Trump administration on deportations.  (ICE)

Instead, he encouraged pathways to citizenship for illegal immigrants.

“Change it through the legislation,” Gainey said. “We know what needs to happen. Where’s the appetite to do it right?”

Gainey made similar comments to CBS News Pittsburgh on Wednesday where he discussed working with local nonprofit organizations to assist people after President Donald Trump enacted several executive orders on immigration.

“We want to make sure that when immigrants are here they feel welcome. We want to make sure that they know we want to provide services for them,” Gainey said.

Advertisement

He also added that he did not believe that Pittsburgh police officers would be working with ICE officials in the near future.

BORDER CZAR TOM HOMAN SENDS MESSAGE TO FAR-LEFT OFFICIALS PUSHING BACK AGAINST MASS DEPORTATIONS: ‘GAME ON’

Pittsburgh Mayor Ed Gainey said he and his city would not work with ICE officials. (Photo by Smith Collection/Gado/Getty Images | David Maxwell/EPA/Bloomberg via Getty Images)

“We don’t want no hate, we don’t want no division, we don’t want no evil, we want to make sure we’re creating a city where everybody feels welcome,” Gainey said.

In a statement to Fox News Digital, Gainey’s office added, “Currently, the City of Pittsburgh has no evidence of ICE activity occurring within city limits and has not been asked to assist the agency in any way.  ICE is a federal law enforcement agency that works outside of City control. Public Safety and the Bureau of Police will adhere to Bureau policies.”

Advertisement

Gainey follows several sanctuary city mayors pushing back on Trump’s efforts to crack down on illegal immigrants. Denver Mayor Mike Johnston, Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson and Boston Mayor Michelle Wu have all said they would either refuse to work with ICE on deportations or outright resist ICE efforts in their cities.

Not all Democratic mayors have attacked Trump’s calls for more deportations, however. New York City Mayor Eric Adams said last week that there would be full cooperation between NYPD officers and ICE.

New York City Mayor Eric Adams said his administration has been coordinating with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) with regard to deporting illegal criminal migrants.  (Luiz C. Ribeiro/New York Daily News/Tribune News Service via Getty Images and Selcuk Acar/Anadolu Agency via Getty Images)

“There’s no restrictions. Nothing has changed there. We’re going to continue to collaborate with all of our federal partners when it comes down to illegal behaviors,” Adams said. “I was very clear for almost a year and a half now, those who commit violent crimes in our city have violated their right to be in our city and in our country, and we’re going to continue to collaborate with those around criminality.”

Advertisement

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Boston, MA

The Quiz #689 – Boston’s Finest

Published

on

The Quiz #689 – Boston’s Finest


Since 2000 who has won more championships, Boston Celtics, Boston Bruins, Boston Red Sox or New England Patriots?

Play. Share. Listen with Co-host of ‘Hot Mic w/ Hutton & Withrow‘,  Chad Withrow.

Advertisement


You May Be Interested In…

The Quiz #688 – Back to the Casting Room

The Quiz #686 – Lincoln Logs

The Quiz #685 – No Pressure

Advertisement

The Quiz #684 – The Quizzard of Oz

The Quiz #683 – Know Your Leaders

The Quiz #682 – He Got Game



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Pittsburg, PA

🏀 Tigers defeat Gorillas in Pittsburg

Published

on

🏀 Tigers defeat Gorillas in Pittsburg


Fort Hays State forward Eli Lawson (32) attempts a shot over Emporia State’s Treyvon Taylor on Thursday, January 8, 2026 in Emporia, Kan. (FHSU Athletics photo/Mason Hart, ESU Athletics)

FHSU Athletics

PITTSBURG, Kan. – Fort Hays State improved to 18-9 overall and 10-8 in the MIAA with a 65-56 win at Pittsburg State on Saturday afternoon at John Lance Arena. The Tigers moved back above the Gorillas in the MIAA standings, who fell to 15-12 overall and 9-8 in the MIAA. FHSU took the lead for good with about six minutes remaining in the game, picking up its second-straight win over PSU going back to last season.

After Pittsburg State briefly held a few small leads in the first five and a half minutes of the game, FHSU took the lead with a little over 13 minutes remaining in the half and kept it all the way to half. A 6-0 burst by the Tigers, which included a 4-point play from Jahvari Martino, pushed their lead to 11 with under a minute to go. The Gorillas hit the final basket of the first half and FHSU led 31-22 at the break.

An 11-2 run by Pittsburg State erased FHSU’s nine-point lead over about a six-minute span, tying the game 44-44 with just under nine minutes to play. The Gorillas went into the lead by one point two times, but a Lucas Hammeke layup near the 6:00 mark put the Tigers back on top for good. That sparked a 9-0 run by the Tigers to go up eight, which featured a pair of baskets by Dan Mukuna and a 3-point field goal by Kyle Grill. The Gorillas got back within three at the 2:53 mark, but FHSU limited PSU to just two points the rest of the game and won by nine.

Advertisement

FHSU limited PSU to just 36.5 percent shooting from the field for the game, while shooting 41.4 percent overall. Mukuna led the scoring for FHSU with 14 points, while Martino had 12 and Hammeke had 11. FHSU did a great job protecting the ball with a season-low three turnovers, while forcing PSU into 14. The Tigers outscored the Gorillas 15-0 on points off turnovers.

Mason English and Donald Coats each had 12 points to lead PSU. Alijah Curry added 10. Coats finished with a double-double by securing 13 rebounds.

Fort Hays State returns home to host Nebraska-Kearney in the final home game of the regular season on Thursday night (Feb. 26). Tipoff is scheduled for 7:30 p.m. at Gross Memorial Coliseum in Hays.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

Blizzard expected to hit Connecticut Sunday evening, bringing more than a foot of snow, strong winds

Published

on

Blizzard expected to hit Connecticut Sunday evening, bringing more than a foot of snow, strong winds


Connecticut is bracing for a significant nor’easter that could deliver more than a foot of snow, heavy winds and blizzard conditions.

Snow is expected to start falling Sunday evening, with the heaviest rates starting early Monday morning and into the afternoon.

Between 10 and 18 inches of snow is in the forecast for much of Connecticut, the National Weather Service said. The eastern part of the state could see more. Rhode Island and eastern Massachusetts could get up to 2 feet in places. Snow is expected across much of the Northeast.

A blizzard warning is in effect for southern Connecticut starting at 1 p.m. Sunday. That includes Fairfield, New Haven, Middlesex and New London counties. Northern Connecticut is under a winter storm warning starting at 4 p.m. Sunday. That includes Hartford, Tolland, Windham and Litchfield counties.

Advertisement

Travel is expected to be difficult with blowing snow reducing visibility, the weather service said. Power outages are possible.

Gov. Ned Lamont is enacting Connecticut’s severe cold weather protocol starting at noon Sunday. The protocol leads to coordination among state agencies, cities and shelters to help the most vulnerable stay out of the cold weather.

People in need of shelter or a warming center may call 211 or visit 211ct.org.

“It will be extremely dangerous to be outside during this storm, and we want to get the word out that shelters and warming centers are open statewide for anyone who needs a safe place to stay warm,” Lamont said in a statement.

Power outages possible

Advertisement

Eversource has been monitoring the forecast and has placed equipment and crews in various parts of the state in preparation for the storm. Additional crews are being brought to the state, officials said.

Eversource recommends people prepare, including having a kit with water, non-perishable foods, flashlights, and medications, as well as charging devices and food for pets.

“This has the potential to bring down trees and branches onto electric lines and equipment, causing damage and power outage,” Steve Sullivan, Eversource’s president of electric operations, said in a statement. “Our line and tree crews around the state are ready to respond as quickly and safely as possible to whatever this storm brings, but the hazardous weather will make travel and work conditions challenging for our crews, so response times will likely be impacted.”

Cities prepare

Cities across Connecticut are issuing snow emergencies and parking bans.

Advertisement

Hartford’s parking ban is in effect starting at noon Sunday. Blue Light lots will be open to allow residents to get their vehicles off the street. All Hartford Public Schools parking lots are available for parking, except for Bulkeley High.

“Our Public Works team is standing by to keep our roads clear and safe, but we need your help to make our snow cleaning operation as easy as possible,” Mayor Arunan Arulampalam said in a statement.

In New Haven, a parking ban is in effect starting at noon Sunday. In residential areas, parking is not allowed on odd-numbered side streets, city officials said. In downtown, as well as snow emergency routes, parking is not allowed on both sides of the street. Vehicles can be parked at several locations, including selected parking lots at New Haven Public Schools, Yale University parking lots and downtown parking garages. Learn about New Haven warming centers here.

Stamford Mayor Caroline Simmons declared a winter storm emergency starting at 3 p.m. Saturday, which limits on-street parking. Parking will be free at the Bedford, Bell, and Summer Street garages, officials said.

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending