Connect with us

News

Italy opens manslaughter probe into Lynch superyacht sinking

Published

on

Italy opens manslaughter probe into Lynch superyacht sinking

Italian prosecutors are investigating charges of manslaughter and “negligent shipwreck” over the sinking of a superyacht in bad weather in which UK tech entrepreneur Mike Lynch and six others died.

Ambrogio Cartosio, Italian public prosecutor in the Sicilian town of Termini Imerese, told a news conference on Saturday that the investigation was targeting “persons unknown”. But he said that could change to named individuals and would not depend on the recovery of the 540-tonne wreck of the Bayesian from the seabed near Porticello off the coast of Sicily.

“It could be that we add someone to the list of people being investigated even way before the recovery of the boat,” he said. “It seems to me likely that offences of negligent shipwreck and manslaughter have been committed. It’s about establishing who they can be ascribed to.”

Bayesian was anchored off Porticello and sank at about 4am on Monday after being hit by exceptionally violent winds. Of the 22 passengers and crew on board, 15 were rescued by a boat that had been anchored nearby, six died trapped inside the boat and another was found dead in the sea. The last body, that of Lynch’s daughter Hannah, was recovered by divers from a cabin on Friday.

Investigators found “the boat sank stern-first, not bow-first”, Cartosio said. The finding followed analysis of the position of the vessel on the seabed, interviews with survivors and the testimony of skipper Karsten Börner, whose yacht was anchored near Bayesian when the storm hit.

Advertisement

Börner, who rescued Bayesian survivors after they had fired a red distress flare from a life raft, told the Financial Times that he and his passengers saw something in the sea, including what seemed to be a triangle during a flash of lightning, while he worked to keep his boat in position during the storm.

“I think they saw the ship capsize and when I turned around I saw the bow, then it went down,” he said.

The stern-first sinking suggests water may have flooded into the aft, or rear, compartments of the boat, tipping its bow upwards. It is not yet known whether a large hatch in the stern just above the waterline was open and prosecutors did not comment on the issue.

The weather forecast, issued at midnight on Sunday for the 12 hours until noon on Monday, warned of isolated thunderstorms but not of any extreme weather systems, according to Admiral Raffaele Macauda of the Palermo coastguard.

But Raffaele Cammarano, deputy prosecutor, said the storm that struck the boat was “truly rapid, sudden”. He said: “From the information that we have obtained, it is more likely that it was a downburst.’’

Advertisement

Borner said the wind was “violent, very violent” and estimated it reached force 12 on the Beaufort scale — hurricane strength. “It was tonnes of water coming down. I never saw that before, there was a water tornado,” he added.

The prosecutors said the first five bodies to be extracted from the wreck, recovered on Wednesday and Thursday, were found in one cabin on the port side. Hannah Lynch’s body was found in another cabin on the same side.

Cammarano said the gathering of the bodies in one cabin did not necessarily indicate that the passengers were trying to escape, as they could have been pushed there by the inrushing water. “Probably they were asleep,” Cammarano commented.

Investigators said the luxury yacht gave its last position electronically at 4.06am, suggesting this was when it finally sank beneath the waves, while the survivors fired their flare from the life raft at 4.38am. Prosecutors are examining how all the crew except the chef managed to escape while all six victims whose bodies were found in the hull were passengers.

A coastguard official said a timeline for extracting the diesel from Bayesian’s fuel tanks — it can carry up to 50 tonnes — had not yet been decided. However, he said recovering the vessel from the seabed was a priority, because it would help the investigation and make the bay safer for the local community.

Advertisement

The vessel now lies 49 meters below the surface. Its owner will cover the costs of its recovery, according to Macuada. Records indicate that Lynch’s family owned the yacht.

News

Homeland Security suspends TSA PreCheck and Global Entry airport security programs

Published

on

Homeland Security suspends TSA PreCheck and Global Entry airport security programs

FILE – U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem, right, shakes hands with Transportation Security Administration Officer Monica Degro at a news conference at Harry Reid International Airport, Nov. 22, 2025, in Las Vegas.

Ronda Churchill/AP


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Ronda Churchill/AP

WASHINGTON — The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is suspending the TSA PreCheck and Global Entry airport security programs as a partial government shutdown continues.

The programs are designed to help speed registered travelers through security lines. Suspending them could cause headaches for fliers.

Homeland Security Secretary Kristi Noem said in a statement that “shutdowns have serious real world consequences.” She also said that “TSA and CBP are prioritizing the general traveling population at our airports and ports of entry and suspending courtesy and special privilege escorts.”

Advertisement

The partial government shutdown began Feb. 14 after Democrats and the White House were unable to reach a deal on legislation to fund the Department of Homeland Security. Democrats have been demanding changes to immigration operations that are core to President Donald Trump’s deportation campaign.

Democrats on the House Committee on Homeland Security criticized the decision about airport security.

They said on social media that the administration was “kneecapping the programs that make travel smoother and secure” and accused them of “ruining your travel on purpose.”

Continue Reading

News

Video: How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America

Published

on

Video: How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America

new video loaded: How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America

transcript

transcript

How Lunar New Year Traditions Take Root Across America

The New York Times traveled to Honolulu, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New Orleans and New York to see how Asian American communities blend old and new customs to celebrate the Lunar New Year.

Growing up, I never really felt like Asian culture or Vietnamese culture in general was included in Mardi Gras. Having them go down the street with us through the French Quarter is a really special feeling. Creating safe spaces for Korean adoptees to celebrate and not worry about doing it the right way or the traditional way is really important to give people a sense of belonging. It’s always this massive production to get the day going. And it’s always fun. Because we are still nomadic in our hearts, we do yearn for that community and for that celebration. The recipe collecting and playing mahjong, they’re like the vehicle in which I can build our family story through, and that’s been really meaningful to me. For me, Losar is a family gathering. It always has been since I was younger. My family makes a specialty dish which is called gyakok. It’s similar to a Tibetan hotpot. It’s a tradition that started in Lhasa with my grandmother making it for my mother, uncle and aunt. And despite being in this diaspora, they’ve been able to maintain it to this day.

Advertisement
The New York Times traveled to Honolulu, Los Angeles, Minneapolis, New Orleans and New York to see how Asian American communities blend old and new customs to celebrate the Lunar New Year.

By Chevaz Clarke, Daniel Fetherston, Miya Lee and Emily Wolfe

February 21, 2026

Continue Reading

News

NASA’s Artemis II lunar mission may not launch in March after all

Published

on

NASA’s Artemis II lunar mission may not launch in March after all

A day after NASA said it was eyeing a potential March 6 launch date for the Artemis II lunar mission, the space agency now says new complications could derail all of the March launch dates. The rocket, seen here at the Kennedy Space Center launch pad on Friday, may need to be rolled back to the Vehicle Assembly Building for additional tests.

Gregg Newton/AFP via Getty Images


hide caption

toggle caption

Advertisement

Gregg Newton/AFP via Getty Images

Just one day after NASA said it was eyeing a potential March 6 launch date for the Artemis II lunar mission, the space agency said Saturday that complications with the rocket could delay all launch attempts in March from the Kennedy Space Center in Florida.

The Artemis II mission, which is set to carry four astronauts on a 10-day trip around the moon, would be the first time humans return to the vicinity of the moon since Apollo 17 in 1972.

In a blog post, NASA said it is “taking steps to potentially roll back the Artemis II rocket and Orion spacecraft to the Vehicle Assembly Building,” after technicians observed an “interrupted flow of helium” to the rocket system. NASA says its teams are “actively reviewing data” and taking steps to “address the issue as soon as possible while engineers determine the best path forward.”

Advertisement

NASA says a rollback from the pad to the nearby Vehicle Assembly Building would mean that the five potential launch dates in March would be off the table. NASA has six launch opportunities in April.

NASA says it’s unclear why helium flow was interrupted. The space agency says it’s reviewing data from the uncrewed Artemis I mission in 2022 in which teams had to troubleshoot helium-related pressurization of the upper stage before launch.

On Friday, following the completion of the second “wet dress rehearsal”, NASA managers were optimistic. “This is really getting real,” said Lori Glaze, acting associate administrator of NASA’s exploration systems development mission directorate. “It’s time to get serious and start getting excited.”

A test of the rocket, earlier this month, revealed several issues. During the fueling, NASA encountered problems like a liquid hydrogen leak. Swapping out some seals and other work seems to have fixed those issues, according to officials who say that the latest countdown dress rehearsal went smoothly, despite glitches such as a loss of ground communications in the Launch Control Center that forced workers to temporarily use backups.

NPR’s Nell Greenfieldboyce contributed reporting.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending