Connect with us

Sports

Canada appealing 6-point deduction for drone spying

Published

on

Canada appealing 6-point deduction for drone spying

Canada is appealing the six-point deduction levied by FIFA against the Olympic women’s soccer team that stemmed from a staffer flying a drone over New Zealand’s training sessions before the start of the Paris Games.

The Canadian Olympic Committee and Canada Soccer filed the appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) on Monday, arguing it “unfairly punishes the athletes for actions they had no part in and goes far beyond restoring fairness to the match against New Zealand.” A hearing will likely take place Tuesday, with the final decision expected midday Wednesday, CAS said in a news release. Canada plays Colombia on Wednesday at 9 p.m. in Nice (3 p.m. ET) in its final group stage game.

Canada defeated New Zealand and France in its first two games, but currently sits third in Group A with zero points because of the deduction. Canada could still advance out of the group stage with a win over Colombia, but a restoration of the six points would put the Canadians atop Group A entering the final game.

In addition to deducting six points from the team’s Olympic group stage total (the equivalent of two wins), FIFA suspended Canada women’s soccer coach Bev Priestman and two other staffers for one year and issued a fine Saturday. Canada did not appeal the suspensions.

The drone spying first came to light on July 22, when New Zealand team staff members noticed a drone flying above their practice in Saint-Étienne, France, and notified police. Law enforcement tracked the drone back to its operator, Joseph Lombardi, an analyst with the Canadian women’s team, the COC said.

Advertisement

GO DEEPER

Canada, New Zealand and how an Olympics spying scandal has played out

The Canadian Olympic Committee said Wednesday that a separate drone incident at New Zealand training — on July 19 — had come to light.

FIFA’s decision concerned Canada Soccer’s actions at the Olympics only. The international governing body found that Canada Soccer was “responsible for failing to respect the applicable FIFA regulations in connection with its failure to ensure the compliance of its participating officials of the OFT with the prohibition on flying drones over any training sites.” Priestman, Lombardi and assistant coach Jasmine Mander were all found “responsible for offensive behavior and violation of the principles of fair play.”

Before Priestman’s suspension from FIFA, she was suspended through the Olympics and until the conclusion of a wide-ranging investigation from Canada Soccer that will extend across both the men’s and women’s programs. She pledged to fully cooperate with that investigation in a statement Sunday, when she apologized to Canada’s players.

Advertisement

Canada Soccer CEO Kevin Blue said that based on what he had learned so far, he was concerned there was “a potential long-term, deeply embedded systemic culture” of surveillance of other teams.

Blue said he was aware of an attempt to use a drone at Copa America, though he clarified that current men’s coach Jesse Marsch was unaware of its use until after the fact.

On Sunday, Canada sports minister Carla Qualtrough said the government is “withholding funding relating to the suspended Canada Soccer officials for the duration of their FIFA suspension.”

Required reading

(Photo: Tullio M. Puglia / Getty Images)

Advertisement

Sports

US Olympian Alysa Liu advances in mission to earn individual medal amid American skating disappointments

Published

on

US Olympian Alysa Liu advances in mission to earn individual medal amid American skating disappointments

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Alyssa Liu is Team USA’s last hope for an individual gold medal in figure skating at the Milan Cortina Winter Olympics. 

Liu, the reigning world champion, was the only one of America’s women’s figure skating stars to put herself in contention for gold after the short program on Tuesday night. 

Liu landed a triple Lutz-triple loop, the hardest combination that any woman attempted, and sat only two points back of leader Ami Nakai and right behind her Japanese teammate Kaori Sakamoto on the leaderboard.

Advertisement

Alysa Liu of the United States performs her routine during the Figure Skating, Women’s Singles Skating, Short Program at the Milano Ice Skating Arena at the Milano Cortina Winter Olympic Games 2026 on February 17th, 2026 in Milan, Italy.   (Tim Clayton/Getty Images)

“I am really happy about how I skated,” Liu said after the competition. “And my siblings, my best friends and a ton of my family is out there. And I saw them on the warmup. I also saw them during my program, so, I don’t know. It was a really cool moment, because they never come to watch like this. I’m really glad I did super well. I felt super grounded and I connected with my program on another level.”

Fellow American women’s skater Amber Glenn finished 13th, falling just one spot short of advancing. Glenn was seen walking off the ice in tears. 

ILIA MALININ HINTS AT INTENSE OLYMPIC PRESSURE DAYS AFTER UNEXPECTED RESULT

Alysa Liu poses for a photo following the 2026 Milan Olympics figure skating team announcement show at Enterprise Center on Jan. 11, 2026. (Jeff Curry/Imagn Images)

Advertisement

Isabeau Levito was dinged for under-rotating her triple loop and got leveled down for her step sequence, which is where she tends to pick up points on the competition. It left her in eighth place and a long shot to climb her way onto the podium Thursday night.

Read More About The 2026 Winter Olympics

Other American skating stars have seen similar disappointing individual results in Milan Cortina after the U.S. took team gold last week.

Alysa Liu of Team United States competes during the Women’s Single Skating – Short Program on day eleven of the Milano Cortina 2026 Winter Olympic games at Milano Ice Skating Arena on February 17, 2026 in Milan, Italy.  (Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images)

Skating power couple Madison Chock and Evan Bates were left with silver in ice dance thanks in part to some questionable scoring by a French judge. Meanwhile two-time world champion and Olympic favorite Ilia Malinin shockingly crashed out of the men’s free skate after falling twice during the men’s final on Friday, finishing in eighth place. 

Advertisement

Now, all the pressure is on Liu to ensure Team USA doesn’t have to head home without an individual gold in figure skating. 

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

“I don’t think about stuff like that,” Liu said when asked if she can beat the Japanese rivals. “Whether I beat them or not is not my goal. My goal is just to do my programs and share my story and I don’t need to be over or under anyone to do that.”

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Sports

For Dodgers’ Hyeseong Kim, opportunity knocks at second base. ‘Just trying to get better’

Published

on

For Dodgers’ Hyeseong Kim, opportunity knocks at second base. ‘Just trying to get better’
p]:text-cms-story-body-color-text clearfix”>

With Tommy Edman opening the season on the injured list, Hyeseong Kim is a prime candidate to see an uptick in playing time at second base for the Dodgers in the coming season. On Tuesday, he further solidified his case.

With teammate Yoshinobu Yamamoto throwing a live batting practice session on the backfields at Camelback Ranch, Kim took the World Series MVP on an unexpected ride. On the 16th pitch of Yamamoto’s live batting practice, Kim crushed an opposite-field home run, dazzling the hundreds of Dodgers fans gathered to watch the team ready itself for its first slate of exhibition games that begin Saturday.

Kim’s home run came after watching Yamamoto walk Teoscar Hernández, induce a groundball from Andy Pages, and strike out newcomer Kyle Tucker looking. However, Kim wasn’t finished quite yet.

Yamamoto took a short break, as Shohei Ohtani threw a round of batting practice himself. After Ohtani got his work in, Yamamoto returned to the mound, with Kim waiting for him in the batter’s box.

On the fifth pitch of his second at-bat versus Yamamoto, Kim ripped a base hit to right field. Yamamoto would see eight at bats on the day, logging 30 pitches. He gave up three hits, two of which came from Kim.

Kim said he tweaked his swing last year after coming over from the KBO on a three-year, $12.5-million contract, and is continuing to progress and feel more comfortable with the adjustments he’s made.

“The swing changes we made last year, I would say I felt about 70% comfortable with,” Kim said through an interpreter on Monday. “And then, this offseason and spring training, we were able to recognize some of the other stuff that we needed to work on, so I’m working very hard to make those changes again this year.”

As a rookie, he batted .280 with a .314 on base percentage, .699 OPS, three home runs and 17 RBI across 71 games. He began the season in triple A, before earning a promotion in May. A left shoulder injury would land him on the injured list, limiting his time in his first big league season — though he was healthy enough to be on the team’s postseason roster primarily as a late-inning defensive replacement, playing second base when the Dodgers closed out their Game 7 World Series victory.

Advertisement

Kim also mixed in 17 games in the outfield to provide depth behind Pages last season, and he knew his outfield defense would be an offseason priority.

“I was aware that I needed to work on my center field and outfield defense,” Kim said. “Even without the front office telling me, I knew that it was something I needed to work on, so I was going to work on it regardless.”

As he prepped for the coming season, Kim focused on his nutrition, upping his protein intake and adding some weight.

“I noticed that I lost a little bit of weight throughout the season and I wanted to make sure that I was gaining my weight back before the season started,” Kim said. “So, I made sure to intake my proteins and my meals so that I was able to gain two-three kilograms this offseason.”

With the news that Edman is still on the mend from offseason ankle surgery, Kim stands to benefit in terms of playing time but he says he’s not getting ahead of himself.

Advertisement

“I’m using this time — the offseason and spring training — to just get better,” Kim said. “Whether I play more or not, it doesn’t really affect me much. I’m just trying to get better every day.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Mayor calls on Los Angeles Olympics chief to resign amid Epstein controversy

Published

on

Mayor calls on Los Angeles Olympics chief to resign amid Epstein controversy

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass called on LA 2028 Olympics chief Casey Wasserman to resign amid the fallout from his name appearing in the Jeffrey Epstein files last month.

Bass is the latest official to call out Wasserman, doing so in an interview with CNN. She said she was unable to fire him, but believed he should “step down.”

Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass speaks at NBA Cares Legacy Project Dedication at the Weingart YMCA on Feb. 12, 2026. (Kirby Lee/Imagn Images)

Advertisement

“The board made a decision,” she said. “I think that decision was unfortunate. I don’t support the decision. I do think that we need to look at the leadership. However, my job as mayor of Los Angeles is to make sure that our city is completely prepared to have the best Olympics that has ever happened in Olympic history.”

The Justice Department’s release of documents related to Epstein showed Wasserman having a flirtatious exchange with close Epstein associate Ghislaine Maxwell. Since then, he’s announced he will sell his talent agency as some clients have already announced their departures.

Wasserman’s decision to sell the agency came after the LA28 board’s executive committee met to discuss Wasserman’s appearance in the Epstein files. The committee said it and an outside legal firm conducted a review of Wasserman’s interactions with Epstein and Maxwell with Wasserman’s full cooperation.

LA OLYMPICS CHIEF RESPONDS AFTER EMAILS WITH GHISLAINE MAXWELL EMERGE IN EPSTEIN FILES

Casey Wasserman, Chairperson and President of LA28, during the media conference celebrating the 1000-day countdown to LA28 at Devon Park in Oklahoma City, Monday, Oct. 20, 2025. (Doug Hoke/The Oklahoman / USA TODAY NETWORK via Imagn Images)

Advertisement

“We found Mr. Wasserman’s relationship with Epstein and Maxwell did not go beyond what has already been publicly documented,” the committee said in a statement, adding that Wasserman “should continue to lead LA28 and deliver a safe and successful Games.”

Wasserman has said previously he flew on a humanitarian mission to Africa on Epstein’s private plane at the invitation of the Clinton Foundation in 2002. He said in a memo to staff that his interactions with Maxwell and Epstein were limited and that he regrets the emails.

“It was years before their criminal conduct came to light, and, in its entirety, consisted of one humanitarian trip to Africa and a handful of emails that I deeply regret sending. And I’m heartbroken that my brief contact with them 23 years ago has caused you, this company, and its clients so much hardship over the past days and weeks,” the memo said.

“I never had a personal or business relationship with Jeffrey Epstein,” Wasserman said in a prior statement. “As is well documented, I went on a humanitarian trip as part of a delegation with the Clinton Foundation in 2002 on the Epstein plane. I am terribly sorry for having any association with either of them.”

United States women’s national soccer team legend Abby Wambach announced she was leaving the agency. Chappell Roan also left the agency.

Advertisement

The Department of Justice released a trove of Epstein documents on Dec. 19 following President Trump’s signature on the Epstein Files Transparency Act in November 2025.  (Joe Schildhorn/Patrick McMullan via Getty Images)

In the email exchanges, Wasserman told Maxwell, “I think of you all the time. So, what do I have to do to see you in a tight leather outfit?” Another exchange showed Maxwell asking Wasserman whether it would be foggy enough during an upcoming visit “so that you can float naked down the beach and no one can see you unless they are close up?” Wasserman responded, “or something like that.”

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Wasserman has not been accused of any wrongdoing.

Fox News’ Ryan Morik contributed to this report.

Advertisement

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending