Rhode Island
Police investigating multiple scenes in Providence
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (WPRI) — Police presence was seen investigating scenes on two different streets in Providence on Sunday night.
The first scene was on Cranston Street and Messer Street and the other was minutes away on Comstock Avene and Taylor Street.
Video by a 12 News crew on the scene around 8:45 p.m. at Comstock Ave showed police laying down an evidence marker on the ground and taking photos.
Portions of the streets were also blocked off with police tape.
A third scene happened in the city on Sunday evening, which was a stabbing that’s currently being investigated by detectives.
12 News has reached out to Providence Police for more information about the other scenes.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Rhode Island
Trans Rhode Island gunman had permit to carry gun — and used a high-powered pistol in hockey rink massacre
Trans killer Robert Dorgan had a permit to carry a firearm, and used a high-powered handgun to murder his son and ex-wife at a high school hockey game in Rhode Island on Monday.
The 56-year-old dad of six, who also went by Roberta, obtained a concealed carry permit in Florida, but it did not cover Rhode Island, Pawtucket Police Chief Tina Goncalves said during a news conference this week.
Dorgan used a Glock 29 10mm purchased in Jacksonville in September 2021 and a .357 Sig-caliber Sig Sauer P226 bought in July 2019 in West Warwick, R.I., to slaughter ex-wife Rhonda Dorgan, 52, and their son, Aidan, 23, at Lynch Arena in Pawtucket at around 2:30 p.m. on Monday.
The 10mm round — made mainstream in the show “Miami Vice” — is nearly twice as powerful as the 9mm carried by many police departments and the the US military.
It is considered big enough for hunters to use on bears or deer.
The trans gunman also critically wounded Rhonda’s parents, Gerald and Linda Dorgan, as well as family friend Thomas Geruso, before taking his own life.
State law “requires a Rhode Island state permit to carry, with one exception,” attorney general’s office spokesman Tim Rondeau said when asked whether Dorgan’s Florida permit would have been valid in Rhode Island, the Providence Journal reported.
“That exception is if the person carrying or transporting the firearm is merely passing through the state on the way to somewhere else,” Rhondeau said.
“An out of state permit is not valid in Rhode Island,” Glenn Valentine, vice president of the Rhode Island Firearms Owners League, told the Providence Journal.
Dorgan was living in Jacksonville several years ago, but Florida removed its permitting requirement in July 2023, although permits issued prior to that “were valid for seven years,” Valentine added.
“Most folks outside of Rhode Island don’t pursue a permit [here] given that the process is beyond what [most of] the rest of the country requires,” he said.
Dorgan would have had to apply for a license in his town of residence or with the attorney general’s office, Rondeau said.
It isn’t clear if he ever did so.
The minority Republicans in Rhode Island have introduced bills that would grant concealed-carry privileges to gun owners from other states that provide reciprocal privileges to gun owners in the state – subject to action by the attorney general.
Follow The Post’s latest coverage on the Rhode Island high school hockey shooting
Two separate bills were introduced in the state’s Senate and House, sponsored by Republicans, but neither made it out of a legislative committee last year.
A Senate version was reintroduced this year.
Authorities are still building a picture of Dorgan, who became the fourth high-profile transgender mass shooter in North America in recent years.
Earlier this month, Canadian Jesse Van Rootselaar, 18, who identified as trans, murdered his mother and stepbrother before killing six others at his former school in British Columbia.
Dorgan had undergone male-to-female gender reassignment in recent years, after a troubled life that saw him booted out of the Marine Corps after less than three months in 1988.
He was charged with simple assault and battery in 1989, but the case was dismissed.
Rhonda claimed that Rhonda’s father had ordered him to leave the house after he underwent surgery in 2020, according to a police report.
But his Nazi tattoos and description of his politics as “to the right of Hitler,” on X, suggest a deeply troubled individual who spiraled in recent years.
Rhode Island
The most romantic spot in Rhode Island is on Block Island. Take a look
Nicks on Broadway named one of USA TODAY’s best restaurants of 2026
Take a look inside Nicks on Broadway in Providence, Rhode Island, named one of USA TODAYs best restaurants for 2026.
The Providence Journal
Romance doesn’t have to stop after Valentine’s Day.
Travel + Leisure created a list of the most romantic places in the United States, featuring one for each state; the lifestyle magazine picked one New Shoreham landmark for Rhode Island lovebirds to visit.
“To inspire you, we’ve rounded up the most romantic places across the country: scenic state parks with beautiful proposal-worthy backdrops, charming urban escapes for those looking to enjoy city sights, and quirky attractions where you’re sure to create lifelong memories,” lifestyle magazine Travel + Leisure said.
Here’s how you can visit the most romantic place in Rhode Island, according to Travel + Leisure.
Mohegan Bluffs — Block Island, Rhode Island
Travel + Leisure said the Mohegan Bluffs on Block Island are the most romantic destination in Rhode Island, which is a far better place to visit in the summer than February.
“A stroll along Mohegan Bluffs on Block Island is one of the most dramatic walks available in the Ocean State,” the lifestyle magazine said. “The bluffs stand 200 feet above the beach and, on a clear day, provide views straight across the Block Island Sound to Montauk, New York.”
If you and your significant other are the hiking type, you may find the 141 steps down from the cliffs above to the beach below a tough but rewarding trek.
Travel + Leisure said that the lighthouses on Block Island are visual treats to behold.
In 2025, Yankee Magazine picked a Block Island lighthouse as one of the most beautiful sights in New England: Southeast Lighthouse.
“From their windswept homes on cliffs and headlands, they invite visitors to come see what they see—which on Block Island, sitting just a short ferry ride from the Rhode Island mainland, means sharing the Southeast Lighthouse’s lofty vantage atop Mohegan Bluffs,” Yankee Magazine said.
Rin Velasco is a trending reporter. She can be reached at rvelasco@usatodayco.com.
Rhode Island
Only on 10: Rhode Island family speaks out after wrong body was buried
A Providence family has filed a lawsuit against Rhode Island Hospital and Bell Funeral Home, alleging a devastating mistake that led them to bury the wrong person after a loved one died following a Christmas Day fire.
Emilia Severino died Dec. 30 at Rhode Island Hospital, days after the fire, according to her family.
Her niece, Joselyn, spoke exclusively with the NBC 10. She asked that her face be concealed during the interview.
“She did not deserve nothing that happened to her, not the fire. Not the way she was buried. She did not deserve that,” Joselyn said.
According to a Superior Court lawsuit, when Bell Funeral Home went to retrieve Severino’s body from Rhode Island Hospital, the hospital released the wrong remains.
The Severino family told the NBC 10 I-Team that Emilia Severino died at Rhode Island Hospital on Dec. 30 from smoke inhalation after a Christmas Day fire. (Severino)
The family held a closed-casket, graveside burial on Jan. 19.
Joselyn said she asked her father to identify her aunt’s body before the casket was closed but was told by the funeral home that the body was not viewable because of its condition.
“The director of the funeral home was trying to close the casket, and we’re all there witnessing this,” Joselyn explained. “And in that moment, I look and I see a black bag. I was confused as to what was going on.”
The family prayed over the casket and watched it lowered into the ground.
“And it wasn’t her,” Joselyn said.
Days later, Joselyn said she received a call from the cemetery.
“I thought it was a joke. I honestly thought it was, I was like, there’s just no way,” she said.
The lawsuit states that on Jan. 20, Rhode Island Hospital’s chief pathologist notified the family of the error. The lawsuit also alleges the hospital and funeral home initially wanted to “switch” the bodies without informing the family, but the cemetery would not exhume the body without the family’s permission.
Rhode Island Hospital in Providence, Tuesday, Oct. 15, 2024. (WJAR)
Joselyn said she initially refused but eventually agreed. When they returned to the cemetery, the casket had already been raised.
“We were just a mess,” she said. “We prayed over somebody. I don’t know what their religious beliefs are. I don’t know what their family’s going through.”
Joselyn said her aunt’s body had remained at Rhode Island Hospital the entire time the other person was buried.
When the correct body was returned to the family, Joselyn said Severino was still in the condition she was in at the hospital.
“She was naked. It was just horrible,” Joselyn said. “You should not have IVs still in your body with blood in it. That’s horrible to see that.”
She said only two family members were present for the final burial.
“We have to re-grieve everything,” she said.
Both Rhode Island Hospital and Bell Funeral Home are named in the lawsuit.
Rhode Island Hospital confirmed that an error occurred.
In a statement to NBC 10, the hospital said:
An error occurred in Rhode Island Hospital’s morgue on January 15th where a decedent was released to the wrong funeral home. The hospital contacted the families impacted by this incident to extend our deepest sympathies and apologies. Once we became aware of this error, the hospital immediately initiated a comprehensive internal review. As a result of that review, the employee involved was let go. While Rhode Island Hospital has strict policies and procedures governing all morgue operations, we are committed to strengthening our processes, including implementing additional safeguards, to ensure this does not happen again. Due to patient privacy laws, Rhode Island Hospital is unable to provide additional details at this time.
“An error occurred in Rhode Island Hospital’s morgue on January 15th where a decedent was released to the wrong funeral home. The hospital contacted the families impacted by this incident to extend our deepest sympathies and apologies.
Once we became aware of this error, the hospital immediately initiated a comprehensive internal review. As a result of that review, the employee involved was let go. While Rhode Island Hospital has strict policies and procedures governing all morgue operations, we are committed to strengthening our processes, including implementing additional safeguards, to ensure this does not happen again.
Due to patient privacy laws, Rhode Island Hospital is unable to provide additional details at this time.”
“I don’t know what their protocols are in their hospital, but I can tell you that much that day, it wasn’t it.” said Joselyn.
Bell Funeral Home Director Christine Cardozo told the NBC10 I-Team that when staff arrived at the hospital, employees searched multiple morgue locations before producing a body.
“We went to Rhode Island Hospital to pick up the body and when we got there, they went into morgue number one and they couldn’t find her,” Cardozo said in an interview with NBC10s Tamara Sacharczyk.
Cardozo said she relied on hospital paperwork and identification tags.
“On the paperwork that we signed, stated that she is the person inside of that body bag,” she said.
Bell Funeral Home. (WJAR)
Cardozo said the body was decomposed and unrecognizable and that she believed Severino had died from smoke inhalation, not severe burns.
When asked who was at fault, Cardozo responded, “The hospital. They’ve admitted fault they’re the ones who bring you the body.”
Joselyn blames them both.
“Bell didn’t take accountability Rhode Island Hospital is saying it’s Bell and I say it’s both,” she said.
Joselyn said the mistake has compounded the family’s grief.
“It’s hard for the whole entire family,” Joselyn said. “They all need to do better. They really, really, really do.”
The lawsuit remains pending in Superior Court.
-
Oklahoma3 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Culture1 week agoRomance Glossary: An A-Z Guide of Tropes and Themes to Find Your Next Book
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Science1 week agoContributor: Is there a duty to save wild animals from natural suffering?
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
News1 week ago
Second US aircraft carrier is being sent to the Middle East, AP source says, as Iran tensions high