Connect with us

World

Netanyahu dissolves Israel's war cabinet after government shakeup, report says

Published

on

Netanyahu dissolves Israel's war cabinet after government shakeup, report says

Join Fox News for access to this content

You have reached your maximum number of articles. Log in or create an account FREE of charge to continue reading.

By entering your email and pushing continue, you are agreeing to Fox News’ Terms of Use and Privacy Policy, which includes our Notice of Financial Incentive.

Please enter a valid email address.

Having trouble? Click here.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has dissolved his war cabinet that was responsible for key decisions relating to the Israel-Hamas conflict, officials told the Associated Press.

The move comes after war cabinet minister Benny Gantz quit last week, saying the prime minister was making “total victory impossible.” In announcing his resignation, Gantz said the government needs to put the return of the hostages seized Oct. 7 by Hamas “above political survival.”

Advertisement

The officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the change with the media, said that going forward Netanyahu would hold smaller forums with some of his government members for sensitive issues surrounding the war. 

Critics say Netanyahu’s wartime decision-making has been influenced by ultranationalists in his government who oppose a deal that would bring about a cease-fire in exchange for the release of hostages, according to the AP. Netanyahu denies the accusations and says he has the country’s best interests in mind.

ISRAELI WAR CABINET MINISTER BENNY GANTZ QUITS NETANYAHU’S EMERGENCY GOVERNMENT

From left, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, Defense Minister Yoav Gallant and Cabinet Minister Benny Gantz speak during a news conference in the Kirya military base in Tel Aviv, Israel on Oct. 28, 2023. Israeli officials said Monday, June 17, that Netanyahu has dissolved the influential War Cabinet that was tasked with steering the war in Gaza.  (Abir Sultan/Pool Photo/AP)

The War Cabinet was formed in the early days of the war, when Gantz, a centrist opposition party leader, joined the coalition in a show of unity following the Oct. 7 Hamas attack on southern Israel.

Advertisement

NETANYAHU CRITICIZES MILITARY’S PLANS FOR 11-HOUR DAILY PAUSES IN FIGHTING

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is seen convening the war cabinet in Tel Aviv.  (Prime Minister of Israel @IsraeliPM on X)

It included Gantz, Netanyahu and Defense Minister Yoav Gallant — and together they made important decisions throughout the course of the war.

“Months after the October disaster, the situation in the country and in the decision-making cabinet has changed. Netanyahu and his partners have turned unity into a void call who has no cover. Fateful strategic decisions are met with hesitancy and procrastination due to political considerations,” Gantz said in announcing his resignation. “Netanyahu is preventing us from progressing to a real victory. That is why we are leaving the emergency government today with a heavy heart, but with a whole heart.”

Benny Gantz, a centrist member of the war cabinet, left it last week. (AP Photo/Ohad Zwigenberg)

Advertisement

 

“This is the time for unity and not for division,” Netanyahu later wrote on X. “We must remain united within ourselves in the face of the great tasks before us. I call on Benny Gantz – do not leave the emergency government. Don’t give up on unity.” 

Fox News’ Bradford Betz and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

World

EU ministers to question Šuica over Trump’s Board of Peace launch

Published

on

EU ministers to question Šuica over Trump’s Board of Peace launch

EU Commission Vice-President Dubravka Šuica is set to be grilled by member states at Monday’s Foreign Affairs Council, where she will brief ministers on her visit to the inauguration of Donald Trump’s Board of Peace.

ADVERTISEMENT


ADVERTISEMENT

Šuica has been at the centre of controversy and faced criticism for attending the event in Washington as an observer. France’s foreign minister, Jean-Noël Barrot, said the European Commission lacked a mandate from member states to take part in the meeting.

The criticism stemming from the Commission overstepping its mandate on foreign policy, without the approval of the 27 member states.

The Board of Peace is an initiative launched by Trump aimed at finding solutions to international conflicts. However, several EU countries have criticised the project, arguing it could sideline the United Nations and grant Trump a lifelong presidency of the body.

Advertisement

Šuica, who is the Commissioner for the Mediterranean, will attend Monday’s Foreign Affairs Council to inform member states about her trip to Washington, sources familiar with the matter told Euronews.

Several EU countries are expected to raise whether the Commission made a mistake by attending and whether it had the legal mandate to do so. Alongside France, Belgium, Spain, Ireland, Slovenia, Sweden and Portugal have raised objections to Šuica’s participation in the Washington gathering.

On Monday, EU foreign ministers will also discuss the situations in Ukraine and the Middle East. They are set to host the Director-General of the Board of Peace for Gaza, Nickolay Mladenov, for discussions.

Speaking on Thursday, Commission spokesperson Paula Pinho defended Šuica’s participation, saying the EU needs to be at the table.

“Otherwise we will simply be a payer and not a player” in Gaza’s future recovery, the spokesperson said.

Advertisement

Fourteen EU countries took part in Thursday’s Board of Peace launch event in Washington. Bulgaria and Hungary joined as full members, while the other 12 EU countries attended as observers, represented by ministers or diplomats.

Continue Reading

World

Leonardo DiCaprio, Emma Stone and ‘Hamnet’ Win at Irish Film and TV Awards With Indie Drama ‘Christy’ Taking Top Prize

Published

on

Leonardo DiCaprio, Emma Stone and ‘Hamnet’ Win at Irish Film and TV Awards With Indie Drama ‘Christy’ Taking Top Prize

Leonardo DiCaprio, Emma Stone and the independent Irish drama “Christy” were among the winners at the 2026 Irish Film and Television Awards, announced in Dublin on Friday.

The Brendan Canty-directed “Christy” (not to be confused with the Sydney Sweeney boxing drama of the same name) entered the night as the top-nominated title with 14 mentions and delivered in key races, winning best film, director and casting, along with editing and a supporting actor prize for Jamie Forde. The film follows a young man seeking independence after leaving the foster system.

Elsewhere in the film categories, “Hamnet” notched wins for best international film, lead actress for Oscar frontrunner Jessie Buckley, supporting actor for Paul Mescal and script for Maggie O’Farrell and Chloé Zhao. Other Oscar hopefuls that received notices in the international lead acting races ahead of Sunday’s BAFTA ceremony were Leonardo DiCaprio’s work as a former revolutionary in Paul Thomas Anderson’s “One Battle After Another” and Emma Stone, for her work as an executive who may or may not be an alien, in Yorgos Lanthimos’ “Bugonia.”

At the same time, Éanna Hardwicke took lead actor for “Saipan” while the double-nominated Kerry Condon prevailed with a supporting actress prize for Joseph Kosinski’s “F1.”

On the television side, “Blue Lights” won best TV drama, while Ailbhe Keogan won script for “Trespasses.” Anthony Boyle took lead actor in drama for “House of Guinness,” and Lola Petticrew won lead actress for “Trespasses.” Chris Walley won supporting actor for “The Young Offenders,” and Alison Oliver was named supporting actress for “Task.” Louisa Harland won the Rising Star Award.

Advertisement

“Christy” and “Saipan” led the nominations heading into the ceremony, with “Saipan” earning 12. The ceremony also marked a record number of women nominated in directing categories, with seven across film and TV.

This year, Ciarán Hinds is set to receive the Lifetime Achievement Award.

The list of winners is below.

Best Film

  • “Aontas”
  • “Blue Moon”
  • “Christy” (WINNER)
  • “Four Mothers”
  • “Saipan”
  • “Steve”

Director – Film

  • Lisa Barros D’Sa, Glenn Leyburn — “Saipan”
  • Brendan Canty — “Christy” (WINNER)
  • Myrid Carten — “A Want in Her”
  • Lorcan Finnegan — “The Surfer”
  • Ruán Magan — “Báite”
  • Edwin Mullane, Adam O’Keeffe — “Horseshoe”

Script – Film

  • Sarah Gordon, Damian McCann — “Aontas”
  • Maggie O’Farrell, Chloé Zhao — “Hamnet” (WINNER)
  • Alan O’Gorman — “Christy”
  • Sheena Lambert — “Báite”
  • Darren Thornton, Colin Thornton — “Four Mothers”
  • Enda Walsh — “Die My Love”

Lead Actor – Film

  • Steve Coogan — “Saipan”
  • Daniel Day-Lewis — “Anemone”
  • Colin Farrell — “Ballad of a Small Player”
  • Éanna Hardwicke — “Saipan” (WINNER)
  • Cillian Murphy — “Steve”
  • Daniel Power — “Christy”

Lead Actress – Film

  • Jessie Buckley — “Hamnet” (WINNER)
  • Carolyn Bracken — “Horseshoe”
  • Carrie Crowley — “Aontas”
  • Fionnula Flanagan — “Four Mothers”
  • Eleanor O’Brien — “Báite”
  • Fiona Shaw — “Hot Milk”

Supporting Actor – Film

  • Liam Cunningham — “Palestine 36”
  • Jamie Forde — “Christy”
  • Paul Mescal — “Hamnet” (WINNER)
  • Diarmuid Noyes — “Christy”
  • Seán T. Ó Meallaigh — “Aontas”
  • Andrew Scott — “Blue Moon”

Supporting Actress – Film

  • Brid Brennan — “Aontas”
  • Kerry Condon — “F1” (WINNER)
  • Kerry Condon — “Train Dreams”
  • Sarah Greene — “Trad”
  • Dearbhla Molloy — “Four Mothers”
  • Emma Willis — “Christy”

International Film

  • “Bugonia”
  • “Hamnet” (WINNER)
  • “One Battle After Another”
  • “Palestine ’36”
  • “Sentimental Value”
  • “Sinners”

International Actor

  • Leonardo DiCaprio — “One Battle After Another” (WINNER)
  • Ethan Hawke — “Blue Moon”
  • Michael B. Jordan — “Sinners”
  • James McArdle — “Four Mothers”
  • Sean Penn — “One Battle After Another”
  • Jesse Plemons — “Bugonia”

International Actress

  • Chase Infiniti — “One Battle After Another”
  • Jennifer Lawrence — “Die My Love”
  • Margaret Qualley — “Blue Moon”
  • Renate Reinsve — “Sentimental Value”
  • Emma Stone — “Bugonia” (WINNER)
  • Teyana Taylor — “One Battle After Another”

George Morrison Feature Documentary

  • “A Want in Her” (WINNER)
  • “The Essence of Eva”
  • “Listen To The Land Speak”
  • “Sanatorium”
  • “Testimony”
  • “Útoipe Cheilteach”

Rebbreast Short Film Award

  • “The Ban”
  • “No Mean City”
  • “No Time Wasters”
  • “Nostalgie” (WINNER)
  • “Punt”
  • “Three Keenings”

Animated Short

  • “Éiru”
  • “Inside, The Valley Sings”
  • “Rerooted”
  • “Retirement Plan” (WINNER)

Cinematography

  • “Bugonia” — Robbie Ryan
  • “Christy” — Colm Hogan
  • “Die My Love” — Seamus McGarvey (WINNER)
  • “Saipan” — Piers McGrail
  • “Severance” — Suzie Lavelle

Casting

  • “Christy” — Amy Rowan (WINNER)
  • “Four Mothers” — Louise Kiely
  • “The Rainmaker” — Emma Gunnery
  • “Ready Or Not” — Maureen Hughes
  • “Saipan” — Aine O’Sullivan

Costume Design

  • “Blue Moon” — Consolata Boyle (WINNER)
  • “Christy” — Hannah Bury
  • “Four Mothers” — Joan O’Cleary
  • “Saipan” — Lara Campbell
  • “Video Nasty” — Joanne O’Brien

Editing

  • “Blue Lights” — Helen Sheridan
  • “Christy” — Allyn Quigley (WINNER)
  • “House of Guinness” — Ben Yeates
  • “Saipan” — John Murphy, Gavin Buckley
  • “The Surfer” — Tony Cranstoun

Make-up & hair

  • “Blue Moon” — Linda Gannon, Liz Byrne
  • “Christy” — Jennie Readman, Edwina Kelly
  • “Saipan” — Polly McKay
  • “Trespasses” — Natalie Reid (WINNER)
  • “Wednesday” — Lynn Johnston

Original Music

  • “Aontas” — Daithí Ó Drónaí
  • “Báite” — Eimear Noone, Craig Stuart Garfinkle (WINNER)
  • “Christy” — Daithí Ó Drónaí
  • “Saipan” — David Holmes, Brian Irvine
  • “Video Nasty” — Die Hexen

Production Design

  • “Blue Moon” — Susie Cullen, Kevin Downey
  • “Christy” — Martin Goulding
  • “Saipan” — John Leslie
  • “Wednesday” — Philip Murphy, Neville Gaynor (WINNER)
  • “Video Nasty” — Tara O’Reilly

Sound

  • “Anemone” — Steve Fanagan (WINNER)
  • “Blue Moon” — Hugh Fox
  • “Saipan” — Tim Harrison, Andrew Graham, Paul Maynes
  • “The Surfer” — Aza Hand
  • “Video Nasty” — Patrick Downey

VFX

  • “Anemone” — Tom Fagan
  • “Foundation” — Ed Bruce, Andrew Barry
  • “House of Guinness” — Eoin O’Sullivan, David Sewell (WINNER)
  • “One Battle After Another” — Ed Bruce, Amrei Bronnenmayer

Television Categories

Best TV Drama

Advertisement
  • “Blue Lights” (WINNER)
  • “Leonard and Hungry Paul”
  • “Trespasses”
  • “The Walsh Sisters”
  • “Wednesday S2”
  • “The Young Offenders”

Director — Drama

  • Rachel Carey — “Obituary” (WINNER)
  • Megan K. Fox — “Video Nasty”
  • Oonagh Kearney — “The Au Pair”
  • Mia Mullarkey — “Hidden Assets”
  • Hugh O’Conor — “Showkids”
  • Aisling Walsh — “Miss Austen”

Script Drama

  • Peter Foott — “The Young Offenders”
  • Ailbhe Keogan — “Trespasses” (WINNER)
  • Declan Lawn, Adam Patterson — “Blue Lights”
  • Cara Loftus — “Hidden Assets”
  • Stefanie Preissner — “The Walsh Sisters”
  • Hugh Travers — “Video Nasty”

Lead Actor – Drama

  • Anthony Boyle — “House of Guinness” (WINNER)
  • Pierce Brosnan — “MobLand”
  • Domhnall Gleeson — “The Paper”
  • Martin McCann — “Blue Lights”
  • Aaron Monaghan — “Hidden Assets”
  • Alex Murphy — “The Young Offenders”

Lead Actress – Drama

  • Niamh Algar — “The Iris Affair”
  • Caitriona Balfe — “Outlander”
  • Siobhán Cullen — “Obituary”
  • Louisa Harland — “The Walsh Sisters”
  • Nora-Jane Noone — “Hidden Assets”
  • Lola Petticrew — “Trespasses” (WINNER)

Supporting Actor – Drama

  • Jack Gleeson — “House of Guinness”
  • Cal O’Driscoll — “Video Nasty”
  • Dónall Ó Héalai — “Hidden Assets”
  • Fionn O’Shea — “House of Guinness”
  • Aidan Quinn — “The Walsh Sisters”
  • Chris Walley — “The Young Offenders” (WINNER)

Supporting Actress – Drama

  • Cathy Belton — “Hidden Assets”
  • Ruth Bradley — “Slow Horses”
  • Katherine Devlin — “Blue Lights”
  • Danielle Galligan — “House of Guinness”
  • Alison Oliver — “Task” (WINNER)
  • Genevieve O’Reilly — “Andor”

Rising Star Award

  • Carolyn Bracken (Actor, “Horshoe,” “Oddity”)
  • Brendan Canty (Director, “Christy,” “Gealtra”)
  • Myrid Carten (Director, “A Want in Her”)
  • Louisa Harland (Actor, “The Walsh Sisters,” “Derry Girls”) (WINNER)
Continue Reading

World

Potential US military strikes on Iran could target specific individuals, pursue regime change: report

Published

on

Potential US military strikes on Iran could target specific individuals, pursue regime change: report

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Potential U.S. military strikes on Iran could target specific individuals and even pursue regime change, a report said. 

Two U.S. officials who spoke to Reuters on condition of anonymity reportedly said those are options that have emerged in the planning stage, if ordered by President Donald Trump. They did not say which individuals could be targeted, but Trump, notably, in 2020 ordered the U.S. military attack that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, the head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps’ elite Quds Force. 

Fox News Digital has reached out to the White House and the Department of War for comment. 

Trump already said Friday that he is “considering” a limited military strike on Iran to pressure its leaders into a deal over its nuclear program, when asked by a reporter at the White House.

Advertisement

BUILT FOR WEEKS OF WAR: INSIDE THE FIREPOWER THE US HAS POSITIONED IN THE MIDDLE EAST

President Donald Trump speaks during a press briefing at the White House, on Friday, Feb. 20, 2026, in Washington. Trump said Friday he is “considering” a limited military strike on Iran. (Allison Robbert/AP)

Last week, when questioned if he wanted regime change in Iran, the president said, “Well it seems like that would be the best thing that could happen.” 

Trump on Thursday suggested the window for a breakthrough is narrowing in talks with Iran, indicating Tehran has no more than “10, 15 days, pretty much maximum” to reach an agreement. 

“We’re either going to get a deal, or it’s going to be unfortunate for them,” he said.

Advertisement

TRUMP GIVES IRAN 10-DAY ULTIMATUM, BUT EXPERTS SIGNAL TALKS MAY BE BUYING TIME FOR STRIKE

The USS Gerald R. Ford is heading to the Middle East as the U.S. is building up its military presence there, amid talks with Iran. (U.S Naval Forces Central Command / U.S. 6th Fleet / Handout via Reuters)

A Middle Eastern source with knowledge of the negotiations told Fox News Digital this week that Tehran understands how close the risk of war feels and is unlikely to deliberately provoke Trump at this stage.  

However, the source said Iran cannot accept limitations on its short-range missile program, describing the issue as a firm red line set by Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei.  

Iranian negotiators are not authorized to cross that boundary, and conceding on missiles would be viewed internally as equivalent to losing a war.

Advertisement

In 2020, the Pentagon said President Donald Trump ordered the U.S. military strike that killed Iranian Gen. Qassem Soleimani, left, in Iraq. (Getty Images)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

The source indicated there may be more flexibility about uranium enrichment parameters if sanctions relief is part of the equation. 

Fox News’ Emma Bussey and Efrat Lachter contributed to this report. 

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending