World
‘Much more persecution’: Venezuela braces for Nicolas Maduro’s inauguration
Bogota, Colombia – Jesus Medina Ezaine had already spent 16 months in a Venezuelan military prison, accused of crimes he said were related to his work as a photojournalist.
But another prison stint seemed imminent, particularly after the contested re-election of Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro.
With Maduro set to be sworn in for a third term, Medina, 43, made a difficult decision: to flee his home in Venezuela for the relative safety of Bogota, the capital of neighbouring Colombia.
“Before they could put me back in prison, I decided to escape,” said Medina.
Maduro’s government has long faced criticism for the alleged repression of political rivals. But Friday’s inauguration ceremony is set to bring the recent electoral crisis to a head, with observers warning that the violence may escalate as Maduro strives to hold onto power.
“The regime is going to do everything they can to ensure that Maduro can be re-inaugurated and that he can continue with his administration,” said Juan Pappier, deputy director of Human Rights Watch’s Americas division.
“If they see that possibility challenged in any way, for example through [opposition-led] demonstrations, they are going to repress them brutally.”
A climate of fear
Medina remembers his final months in Venezuela as being drenched in fear.
In the lead-up to the controversial election, he had joined the campaign of opposition leader Maria Corina Machado as a photographer, documenting her efforts to galvanise support for presidential candidate Edmundo Gonzalez.
But that work once again made him a target.
Medina was not unknown to the Maduro government: In 2018, he was arrested on charges of money laundering, criminal association and inciting hate, all of which he denies.
Instead, he maintains his arrest was in retaliation for his reporting on human rights abuses. He was held without trial in the Ramo Verde military prison until January 2020.
“The Venezuelan regime does not tolerate any comments or information against them,” he said.
“The media is scared,” Medina added. “Freedom of expression in Venezuela has been completely lost because journalists inside Venezuela are doing what they can to avoid imprisonment.”
But the presidential election on July 28, 2024, brought political repression worse than any Medina had witnessed before.
Hours after polls closed, the National Electoral Council named Maduro the winner, without offering its usual breakdown of voting tallies.
Meanwhile, the opposition published receipts of the votes that instead suggested Gonzalez had won the election with nearly 70 percent of the vote. As protests erupted over the alleged electoral fraud, a government crackdown ensued.
As state forces swept the streets for protesters, seizing dissidents from their homes, Medina said he was tipped off that he would be jailed — again.
He quickly went into hiding. Medina spent two months holed up in different locations in the capital Caracas, trying to avoid arrest. He said the country’s intelligence forces had already knocked at the door of his home in the city.
Feeling cornered, Medina decided to flee on September 15 to Bogota, where he has stayed ever since.
A wave of repression
As many as 2,500 people were ultimately detained in the post-election protests, according to government statistics.
Another 25 people were killed, in what independent investigators for the United Nations called “unprecedented levels of violence”.
A UN fact-finding mission announced earlier this month that at least 56 political opposition activists, 10 journalists and one human rights defender were among the arrested between August and December.
On Tuesday, the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights also published a report alleging systematic state repression intended “to prevent the political participation of the opposition” and “sow terror among citizens”.
But in the lead-up to Friday’s inauguration, more than 1,500 prisoners detained in the post-election sweep have been released, in what critics say could be an attempt to reduce scrutiny on the government’s human rights record.
Alfredo Romero, the director of Foro Penal, a Venezuelan human rights watchdog, explained that “having a number of innocent youths with their relatives, especially their mothers, at the door of the prisons” holding vigils was reflecting poorly on the Maduro administration.
Rights groups have also questioned the accuracy of the government’s numbers.
Romero said that at least 1,749 prisoners remained in custody as of the first week of January, and more alleged dissidents had since been detained.
“People may be released from prison, but it doesn’t mean that new ones won’t be jailed,” he said.
Inauguration backlash
Despite widespread fear over repression, demonstrations are expected on the day of Maduro’s third inauguration.
Gonzalez, the opposition’s presidential candidate, has also pledged to return to Venezuela from his exile abroad and be sworn in on Friday. It is unclear how or if he will follow through on that pledge.
In a video message posted to social media on Sunday, Machado, who has remained in hiding in Venezuela for months, called on Venezuelans to march in support of a transition of power this week.
“Maduro is not going to leave on his own, we must make him leave with the strength of a population that never gives up,” Machado said. “It is time to stand firm and make them understand that this is as far as they go. That this is over.”
In turn, the Maduro government has ramped up security and deployed more than 1,200 military personnel to cities across the country to “guarantee peace” on inauguration day.
The government has also detained more than 12 human rights defenders, political activists, and relatives of opposition figures in recent days, according to Amnesty International, a human rights organisation.
The detainments allegedly include Gonzalez’s son-in-law, Rafael Tudares: The presidential candidate said Tudares was abducted by masked men in Caracas on Tuesday.
And on Thursday, Machado herself was detained as she left an anti-Maduro protest, according to opposition officials who said her transportation was fired upon. She was swiftly released.
An uncertain future
The recent arrests have prompted a new swell of international condemnation.
The United States Embassy in Venezuela has called the detention of Gonzalez’s son-in-law an act of “intimidation” against the opposition. Colombian President Gustavo Petro said that the arrests prevented him from attending Maduro’s inauguration on Friday.
Still, Maduro’s control of state institutions has allowed security forces to act with impunity, according to the recent report from the Inter-American Commission on Human Rights.
Medina himself believes repression in Venezuela may escalate if Maduro remains in power for a third term.
“If we do not achieve freedom, there will be much more persecution,” said Medina. “They will try to put an end to everything that they consider the opposition, including political leaders and the media.”
For now, he added that he hopes to continue his work exposing human rights abuses from abroad.
“What I have decided is that, no matter what, I’ll fight for my country.”
World
Video: Navalny Killed by Frog Toxin, European Governments Say
new video loaded: Navalny Killed by Frog Toxin, European Governments Say
transcript
transcript
Navalny Killed by Frog Toxin, European Governments Say
Aleksei Navalny was most likely poisoned by a toxin found in a South American frog, five European countries said on Saturday, making the most concrete Western accusation yet that Russia’s leading opposition figure was murdered by his government in 2024.
-
“Now it’s not just words. It’s scientific proof that my husband, Aleksei Navalny, was poisoned and killed by Russian government and by Vladimir Putin and Russian prison.” “Only the Russian government had the means, the motive and the opportunity to use that toxin against Aleksei Navalny in prison. And that is why we are here today to shine a spotlight on the Kremlin’s barbaric attempt to sign, to silence Aleksei Navalny’s voice.” “We obviously are aware of the report. It’s a troubling report. We’re aware of that case of Mr. Navalny. And certainly it’s, you know — well, we don’t have any reason to question it, or we’re not disputing or getting into a fight with these countries over it. But it was their report, and they put that out there.”
By Jorge Mitssunaga
February 14, 2026
World
2 skiers killed in avalanche on popular Mont Blanc skiing route near French-Swiss border
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Two skiers were killed and another injured Sunday when an off-trail avalanche tore through a popular freeride route on the Italian side of the Mont Blanc massif near the French-Swiss border, officials said.
Three skiers were swept up in the Sunday morning slide along the Couloir Vesses, a well-known off-piste route in Courmayeur’s upper Val Veny, according to Italy’s Alpine Rescue, The Associated Press reported.
Search and rescue operations involved 15 rescuers, three canine units and two helicopters. One victim was transported to a hospital in serious condition but later died, the agency said.
Authorities said another person was partially buried in an avalanche in Trentino but was pulled to safety by companions.
LINDSEY VONN TRAINS WITH KNEE BRACE AFTER COMPLETELY RUPTURING ACL ONE WEEK BEFORE OLYMPIC RETURN
This handout image released by the Italian Alpine Rescue shows the avalanche that killed two men in the Couloir Vesses, a well-known freeride route in Courmayeur, in the upper Val Veny, northern Italy, Sunday, Feb. 15, 2026. (Italian Alpine Rescue via AP, HO)
The deadly slide comes amid a particularly dangerous stretch in the Italian Alps. Italy’s Alpine Rescue said last week that 13 backcountry skiers, climbers and hikers died in the Italian mountains in the week ending Feb. 8 – a record toll – with 10 of those deaths caused by avalanches linked to an unusually unstable snowpack.
Officials said recent storms have dumped fresh snow onto fragile underlying layers, while strong winds have created unstable drifts, producing hazardous conditions across the Alpine arc bordering France, Switzerland and Austria.
The main issue is caused by “persistent weak layers in the snowy cloak, often covered by fresh snow or wind, conditions that make detachments unpredictable and easily triggered even by the passing of a single skier or alpinist,” the National Alpine and Speleological Rescue Corps said. “The dangerous points are many and difficult to identify, even for an expert.”
LINDSEY VONN CRASHES IN WINTER OLYMPICS ALPINE SKI WOMEN’S DOWNHILL EVENT
Vigili del Fuoco crew members conducts a helicopter rescue over a snow-covered mountain area. (Vigili del Fuoco)
Federico Catania, a spokesperson for Italy’s Alpine Rescue Corps, said recent snowstorms have drawn visitors eager to take advantage of fresh slopes, “and as a result, the number of accidents, and therefore fatalities, has increased proportionally,” The AP reported.
Courmayeur, a town of roughly 2,900 residents, sits about 200 kilometers – or 124 miles – northwest of Milan, a host city for the Milan-Cortina Winter Olympics.
The incidents occurred as the Winter Olympics were kicking off in the region on Feb. 6.
AMERICAN SKIERS RESCUED AFTER GETTING LOST NEAR OLYMPIC VENUE IN THE ITALIAN ALPS
Two Vigili del Fuoco crew members stand inside a helicopter next to an open door during a snowy mountain operation. (Vigili del Fuoco)
Authorities stressed that competition sites – located in Lombardy near the Swiss border, Cortina d’Ampezzo in Veneto and Val di Fiemme in Trentino – remain safe, well-maintained and closely monitored.
“There is no danger for people skiing within managed ski resorts, and, in particular, no risks to the Olympic sites,” Catania said previously. “All of these areas are constantly monitored and are generally safe regardless of Olympic events.”
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Prior to the start of the Winter Olympics, Vigili del Fuoco said crews would maintain safety measures for all visitors to the sites.
Fox News Digital’s Bonny Chu and The Associated Press contributed to this report.
World
Hungary’s opposition leader Magyar promises greater privacy protection
Hungary’s main opposition leader Péter Magyar held a campaign event in Budapest on Sunday, calling on the government to respect people’s privacy after what he described as blackmail and a honeytrap set up by the government to discredit him.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
According to opinion polls, Magyar’s Tisza Party is leading Viktor Orbán’s ruling Fidesz party, ahead of the parliamentary elections on the 12th of April.
Orbán, a far-right conservative politician, has been governing Hungary since 2010 with an absolute majority.
Magyar said earlier this week that he was blackmailed by government figures with a sex tape showing him and his former partner, secretly recorded in a Budapest flat in 2024. So far, the video has not been released, but one picture showing a bedroom has spread online.
“If you want Viktor Orbán to spy in your bedroom, then feel free to vote for the ruling Fidesz party,” said Magyar.
He added that Orbán’s party is afraid of losing power and is ready to do disgusting things to discredit the Tisza opposition.
“If they can disclose my private life, they can do the same to others,” asserted Magyar.
The opposition leader, whose Tisza party leads most national opinion polls, called on Orbán to participate in an electoral debate.
‘Hungary will not be dragged into war’
Magyar appeared to target young voters with his campaign event on Saturday, which followed a speech delivered by the Hungarian leader.
The main opposition leader described the upcoming April vote as the “biggest party of the decade” and urged young people to mark the election date in their calendars.
The opposition Tisza party candidate also rejected the government’s narrative, which claimed that an opposition win would drag Hungary into war.
Magyar promised his government would reject military conscription, noting that his party condemns Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine, but stressing that Budapest will not be dragged into the conflict.
He also vowed that, in the event of winning the elections, he would keep the barrier at Hungary’s southern border to prevent illegal migration.
Magyar also announced that his party does not support the European Union’s migration pact or Ukraine’s fast-track accession to the bloc.
The opposition candidate also addressed reports about a recent chemical leak that occurred in a battery factory near Budapest, with the level of toxic substances exceeding government-allowed thresholds.
“We are making full, independent, and public measurements mandatory. Internal measurements and data from factories cannot remain secret,” he said.
Magyar met with EU leaders at Munich Security Conference
Magyar spent Friday and Saturday at the Munich Security Conference, where he held discussions with 12 European leaders, including German Chancellor Friedrich Merz, Austrian Chancellor Karl Nehammer, Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk and Croatian Prime Minister Andrej Plenković.
The Tisza party leader said he informed the leaders about his plans in the event of winning the elections.
“The most important task of the future Tisza government will be to bring back the EU funds due to the Hungarian people,” Magyar said after his talks in Munich.
He added that his government will aim to adopt strict anti-corruption measures, ensure the independence of the courts, freedom of the press and higher education institutions.
He also shared that he made clear his position on Ukraine’s accelerated EU bid to leaders in his talks.
-
Alabama1 week agoGeneva’s Kiera Howell, 16, auditions for ‘American Idol’ season 24
-
Culture1 week agoVideo: Farewell, Pocket Books
-
Illinois7 days ago2026 IHSA Illinois Wrestling State Finals Schedule And Brackets – FloWrestling
-
Technology1 week agoApple might let you use ChatGPT from CarPlay
-
Politics1 week agoHegseth says US strikes force some cartel leaders to halt drug operations
-
World1 week ago‘Regime change in Iran should come from within,’ former Israel PM says
-
Movie Reviews1 week agoWith Love Movie Review: A romcom with likeable leads and plenty of charm
-
News1 week ago
Hate them or not, Patriots fans want the glory back in Super Bowl LX