World
How Israel Is Taking Control of Southern Lebanon
Few parts of southern Lebanon remain untouched by the war.
Entire villages have emptied after Israel issued sweeping evacuation warnings for nearly all of the south. Israeli airstrikes have destroyed homes, severed bridges and razed parts of towns. Israeli ground forces have advanced deeper into southern Lebanon, clashing with Hezbollah militants in the rugged, hilly terrain.
The war has brought intense uncertainty to the south, a predominantly Shiite Muslim area dominated by Hezbollah for decades.
This week, Israeli officials offered their most explicit plan to date to occupy a swath of southern Lebanon from the border up to the Litani River after the ground invasion ends. That would amount to about 10 percent of the entire country. Israeli officials have said they aim to establish a “security zone” to prevent the territory from being used to attack Israel.
The hundreds of thousands of displaced Lebanese who fled the south will not be allowed to return to their homes until the “safety and security of northern Israeli residents is ensured,” the defense minister, Israel Katz, said on Tuesday.
Lebanon’s government has condemned Israel’s military campaign and appealed to the international community to intervene. Last week, Prime Minister Nawaf Salam warned the U.N. secretary general, António Guterres, about the risk of Israel annexing the territory south of the Litani River.
Razing border villages
Mr. Katz reiterated on Tuesday that Israel’s plan in southern Lebanon includes demolishing entire Lebanese towns on the border.
Many of Lebanon’s border villages were devastated in the previous escalation of fighting in 2024. At least six villages saw widespread destruction in that war. Israeli airstrikes that persisted after the cease-fire made it virtually impossible for residents to rebuild in those villages.
“There was nothing to return to” after the last war in 2024, said Alaa Suleiman, 40, who fled from his home Kfar Kila, a village along the border with Israel. “Even when people tried to put up prefabricated houses, they were targeted by strikes. It meant we had no hope of ever returning.”
Since the latest war broke out last month after Hezbollah fired rockets at Israel in solidarity with Tehran, Israel has appeared to accelerate its destruction of the border towns.
One video circulating on social media and verified by The New York Times shows several large simultaneous explosions on March 17 in Aita al-Shaab, which is about a mile from the border. Satellite images viewed by The Times from later that day confirmed the damage to the area. The town was already heavily hit in 2024.
The destruction of communities along the border is part of a deliberate strategy by the Israeli military, according to Mr. Katz, who said that the practice of flattening homes in southern Lebanon is “following the Rafah and Beit Hanoun model in Gaza.” There, Israel used bulldozers and controlled demolitions to erase entire neighborhoods.
Bombing bridges
In March, the Israeli military demolished most of the key bridges across the Litani River, in what it said was an effort to prevent Hezbollah from moving reinforcements and combat equipment to southern Lebanon. The waterway, which is as much as 20 miles from the Israeli border at its furthest point, has long marked the dividing line between southern Lebanon and the rest of the country.
Much of the Litani River is situated at the base of a ravine, making the bridges critical — both for civilians still living in the south to leave as well as for medical supplies, food and other essentials to reach those who have remained.
By blowing up the major bridges connecting northern Lebanon to the south, Israel has forced civilian traffic onto a handful of smaller crossings. Should Israel target those crossings, southern Lebanon would be almost entirely severed from the north.
Israeli officials have not made clear whether the military will reach the river itself or only control it from afar, nor how long the military intends to stay there.
A video filmed by Reuters and verified by The Times shows several fiery explosions across a large bridge in Qasmiyeh, in the south of Lebanon. Dark clouds of smoke can be seen rising into the air, along with debris.
Ground assault
After the previous war between Hezbollah and Israel ended in a cease-fire agreement in late 2024, the Israeli military occupied five outposts near the border inside Lebanon.
Since the start of a new war, Israel has sent in at least 5,000 ground troops, according to two Israeli officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to talk to the media.
Satellite images analyzed by The Times showed Israeli vehicles in new military positions in four Lebanese towns near the Israeli border. As of late March, vehicles were not visible much deeper into Lebanese territory than where Israeli troops previously reached during the 2024 ground invasion.
In the border town of Khiam, images reveal razed areas and destroyed buildings in various parts of the town.
A mix of Merkava tanks and armored personnel carriers are visible in the images, said Jeremy Binnie, Middle East defense specialist at Janes, a London-based defense intelligence firm.
News of the destruction in Khiam has stirred alarm among residents, nearly all of whom fled when the war broke out.
“After the last war, we rebuilt our home. We said it’s over. And now it’s all being destroyed again,” said Ali Akkar, 78, who was displaced from his home in Khiam. “In the last war, we had some hope to return home. Now we have none.”
Satellite imagery verified by The Times also suggests that there was an Israeli military presence at a hospital near Meiss al-Jabal, a town near the Israel-Lebanon border. Satellite imagery showed what appeared to be armored vehicles in various positions around the hospital complex.
While it has been possible to access satellite imagery from southern Lebanon, cloud coverage obscured the visibility of many areas after March 18, making more recent positions of Israeli forces in Lebanon harder to independently verify.
Targeting infrastructure
Israeli airstrikes have also hit homes, gas stations, money exchanges and other civilian infrastructure that the Israeli military says are being used by Hezbollah.
Israel struck in March at least four fuel stations run by the Al-Amana Petroleum Company, a major fuel distributor that was previously placed under U.S. sanctions for its alleged links to Hezbollah. Israeli officials say these stations are “significant economic infrastructure” for the group.
Video filmed by Agence France-Presse showed the damage to a gas station between the cities of Naqoura and Tyre, in southwest Lebanon. A sign hangs from the roof, which is partially damaged, and a large crater is visible on the pavement.
While Israeli officials say the gas stations help fund Hezbollah, they have also benefited many Lebanese. At times, they have sold fuel at subsidized prices, making them a lifeline for poorer people as the war in Iran drives up fuel costs.
The devastation has anguished residents of the south who have fled and watched from afar as their towns and villages have been destroyed.
“There’s so much more destruction, more fighting, the stakes of this war are much higher than the last one,” said Hooda Rajab, 28, who was displaced from her home on the outskirts of Khiam. “Now we’re asking: Will we ever be able to return home? Even if we can, will there be anything for us to return to?”
World
Video: Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland
new video loaded: Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland
transcript
transcript
Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland
President Trump has promised to deploy 5,000 U.S. troops to Poland, seemingly reversing course from his previous statements. NATO allies responded cautiously during a summit on Friday and pushed for greater military self-reliance.
-
“Well, of course I welcome the announcement. Our military commanders are working through all the details, but of course I welcome it. But let’s be clear: The trajectory we are on, which is a stronger Europe and a stronger NATO, making sure we will over time, step by step, be less reliant on one ally only, as we have been for so long, which is the United States.” “Well, it is confusing indeed, and not always easy to navigate. But we need to continue to focus on what we do, and not what everyone else says.”
By Jorge Mitssunaga
May 22, 2026
World
Mojtaba Khamenei using ‘bin Laden template’ to survive, learned from Abbottabad: analyst
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has spent nearly three months in hiding as tensions with the U.S. escalate — a disappearance that counterterrorism analysts say mirrors the final years of al Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden.
The comparison comes amid a critical standoff between Washington and Tehran that prompted President Donald Trump to pause a planned strike on May 19. On Wednesday, Trump told reporters he was in “no hurry.”
Khamenei, meanwhile, appeared to share three posts on his official X account on May 18 but remains out of public view.
“For the first time in the history of the Islamic Republic, the United States has done to Tehran what it spent two decades doing to al-Qaeda and ISIS,” counterterrorism expert Dr. Omar Mohammed told Fox News Digital.
THE MISSING MULLAH: IRAN’S ‘SUPREME LEADER’ A NO-SHOW FOR NEGOTIATIONS, THEN HID AS US POUNDED NUKE SITES
Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei is shown in a portrait image. (Fox News)
“The U.S. has driven its leader into the same kind of operational invisibility that bin Laden lived in for 10 years in Abbottabad,” he added.
“Both Mojtaba Khamenei and bin Laden inherited their status on the back of an American operation, and both responded the same way: by ceasing to exist publicly,” Mohammed said before adding that bin Laden “stopped releasing dated videos around 2007 and confined himself to audio messages carried by hand.”
Bin Laden founded al-Qaeda in the late 1980s and masterminded the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the United States.
After the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, bin Laden evaded capture for a decade by hiding inside a fortified compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.
To avoid Western electronic surveillance, he severed his digital footprint and relied exclusively on a network of physical couriers, said Mohammed, an expert with the Antisemitism Research Initiative at George Washington University’s Program on Extremism.
U.S. intelligence eventually tracked one of those couriers to the compound, culminating in the 2011 Navy SEAL raid that killed the al Qaeda leader.
OPERATION EPIC FURY: HOW AMERICA’S AIR POWER IS CRUSHING IRAN’S TERROR REGIME
Portrait of former al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. Bin Laden was killed in 2011 in a daring SEAL Team 6 raid in Pakistan. (Photo by Stephane Ruet/Sygma via Getty Images)
“Bin Laden survived with no cables out of the Abbottabad compound. Communications were carried by hand by two trusted couriers, the Kuwaiti brothers,” Mohammed said.
“Bin Laden stayed hidden for the rest of his life because the moment he surfaced was the moment he died. Mojtaba’s incentives point the same way. Mojtaba Khamenei won’t emerge,” he said.
“The Abbottabad lesson, which Tehran will have studied closely, is that the safest hiding place is not a cave in Tora Bora but a walled compound in a garrison town,” Mohammed added, recalling how U.S. forces targeted bin Laden in the cave complex before he escaped.
Bin Laden also lived roughly a mile from Pakistan’s top military academy, hiding in plain sight behind high concrete walls and barbed wire, Mohammed noted.
“The logical Iranian equivalents are hardened sites under or alongside IRGC facilities,” Mohammed added, referring to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and possible locations where Khamenei could be.
As previously reported by Fox News Digital, one of Khamenei’s few recent communications was an X post declaring a “holy war,” framing the geopolitical clash as a mandatory religious obligation.
INSIDE IRAN’S RULING IDEOLOGY: HOW A ‘HOLY MISSION’ AND MESSIANIC DOCTRINE FUEL REGIME EXTREMISM
President Donald Trump said, “I got him before he got me” after Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and several top leaders were killed in an Israeli strike in Tehran during the U.S.-Israeli military offensive called Operation Epic Fury. (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images; Yuri Gripas/Abaca/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
“This is a religious leader calling for sacred war against America and the Jews from an undisclosed location because his enemies have publicly vowed to kill him on sight,” Mohammed said, describing the narrative as “the bin Laden template, almost line for line.”
Mohammed also suggested Khamenei’s retreat into the shadows marks a watershed moment for Washington and the future of the Iranian regime.
His predecessor and father, Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was killed Feb. 28 in a targeted U.S.-Israeli airstrike in Tehran during Operation Epic Fury.
“This regime that for 47 years projected its power through a single visible Supreme Leader at the Friday prayer pulpit can no longer produce that figure on demand,” he said, calling it a “strategic milestone.”
“Predecessors killed by U.S. strikes and successors who cannot show their faces. Real power exercised by a security apparatus rather than by the nominal figurehead.”
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
“Now one side is announcing operations on three continents through its president; the other is governed on paper by a man whose own population is uncertain where he is or what state he is in,” Mohammed said.
“The contrast is also about the optics of leadership during this war,” he added.
World
China ‘won’t win anything’ if it ‘destroys’ Europe’s industry, French minister tells Euronews
France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, says the European Union must stop being “naive” and shift its mindset when addressing trade imbalances, saying that the approach should encompass all countries weaponising foreign trade.
-
New York1 hour agoHow Stars From ‘The Morning Show’ and ‘The League’ Keep Their Love Alive
-
Los Angeles, Ca1 hour agoLos Angeles man charged in Southern California catalytic converter theft spree
-
Detroit, MI2 hours agoRain-soaked Detroit job seekers show skills, grit at Comerica Park hiring event
-
San Francisco, CA2 hours agoNine runs? NINE runs! White Sox down Giants with one huge inning
-
Dallas, TX2 hours ago11 Dallas neighbors declared best places to live and more top stories
-
Miami, FL2 hours agoDolphins 90 in 90: Tight end Greg Dulcich looking to build in 2026
-
Boston, MA2 hours agoRed Sox’s Trade Market Desires Reported By Boston Insider
-
Denver, CO2 hours agoRookie LB Red Murdock is anything but Irrelevant and gives the Broncos a tackling and fumble forcing machine